“Great hotel, great staff, recommended!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa

You added Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   208/1 Moo 4, Lamai Beach, Maret, Ko Samui 84310, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Book Now and Save 50%
Ranked #8 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Great hotel, great staff, recommended!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on our honeymoon. Upon arrival we realised that we actually arrived a day early (my error). The hotel staff were so helpful and attentive that they organised for us to stay at another top notch hotel in the area for the night until our room was available the next day (the hotel was fully booked at the time). Because it was our honeymoon, they upgraded us to their nicest suite without us even asking! This suite, called the Chomview, was stunning!!! Wrap around balconies, ocean view, and it was gigantic!!! So gorgeous we wished we could have stayed there the entire time. The beachfront is quite nice, but at the time there were a few families with young children which made it a bit noisier then we wanted. Thankfully there is a small private beach to the right of the hotel (around the rocks, walk towards the spa) that is idea for private time. The breakfast was consistently excellent every morning. The staff were always at their best, helping us at every turn and always smiling. I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Killian D, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear mrslovinlife -

Greetings from Koh Samui and thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on the Renaissance.

I actually remember when you arrived and the room was not reserved for the first night, so I am happy that you still entirely enjoyed your stay.

Besides the quiet beach that you mention, we also have a quiet pool available which is a 50m lap pool in the upper part of the resort. Please let me know if you have the chance to come back to Koh Samui, I would love to share some other tranquil spots within the resort, such as the romantic swing, the hidden rock or our beachside dining sala.

Until then I remain with best regards from Thailand,

Killian Donoghue.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Although this resort hasn't been renovated in a while I believe it's in very good conditions. We had a Garden Villa with a private plunge pool on our terrace which was lovely. The villa was also very spacious.

The resort is set in a jungle type atmosphere not far from a private beach (which however is too shallow to swim). The infinity pool makes up for that! The 3 restaurants serve good food at reasonable prices (it's not as cheap as local Thai restaurants of course but about half the price of what Marriott charges in Europe or the US). The romantic dinner for two near the beach with a personal waiter and to see the sunset was fantastic!

The ride from the airport by shuttle upon arrival was about 20 minutes. To get around and visit Lamai town and Chawaeng beach you can rent a scooter or car directly at the hotel. We tried the scooter at 250 Baht per 24 hours and it was fun!

All in all great vacation there :-)

Room Tip: Go for the Garden or Beach Villas rather than the Deluxe rooms if you can pay the premium!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear SKuenzel -

Greetings from the Renaissace Koh Samui! Thank you for sharing your memories about the getaway to our resort.

As a resort on a tropical island like Samui needs constant attention to keep the standard of rooms and faciliites in shape, all our rooms undergo a quarterly maintenance program and I am happy to read that you have noticed the work and passion our engineering and housekeeping teams put into the same.

Its also great to hear that you loved our food as well as the service from all ambassadors while staying in your Pool Villa.

Hoping to see welcome you again one day and sending my best regards,

Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I do not evaluate a property just by its appearence, which Renaissance excels at, but by the food and staff. Our food was wonderful, especially the steak night at the grille. The staff here was simply so accomodating and genuine. Laying on our own private beach, the ability to get a massage while there, the happy hour from 5-7pm, enabled my wife and I to just sit back and relax. We only spent 2.5 days here, but it made us to want to return soon. I cannot compliment enough how wonderful the staff is, from those serving the food, the bartenders, the drivers, etc. One can tell when the smile is truly genuine....and it always was. My only regret is that I didnt have enough time to have the tailor make me a fine suit!!

Room Tip: Stayed in a villa, and thrououghly enjoyed the ammenities and size of the room
Dear TommacDallas -

Hello to Bangalore! Thank you so much for your wonderful review. Its great to hear that you truly enjoyed your stay in one of our Pool Villas.

Indeed, the special thing about our team of Ambassadors and Navigators (as we call ourselves) is that they are genuinely caring about our guest, helping you to completely unwind while discovering what is so special about Koh Samui: the culture, the food, the sights...

I am very happy everytime I read a review like yours as it makes me proud to be part of this team.

Thank you again and I sincerely hope that we can welcome you back one day.

With best regards,

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I was there for 5 days with family and although it has all the positives of a Marriott hotel, I just found it to be little bit over-priced. Since we have two small kids, we booked a 1200 sq ft one bedroom suite, which was not cheap (USD 400 per night with one king size bed). But since we also decided to take our helper, we had to pay another USD 75 per night for her bed/breakfast. Perhaps, those are the market rates in Koh Samui, I do not know. We did get another bed, without any charges, which another hotel would have charged for. Overall, good experience, and lots to do with the friendly staff especially at the daily breakfast, who ensured we got on to a great start everyday!!!

Room Tip: Great views from the suites but you are paying a lot for that!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Bluecann -

Greetings from Koh Samui and thank you for sharing the review about your stay with us!

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the vista from one of our two sea view suites as well as the service form our resort team and will share your feedback with my colleagues.

Let me take the chance to outline the pricing for extra guests: Generally all our room and villa rates are valid for two adults and one child below 12 years. If the third person is an adult, THB 2000 are charged as supplement per night, this however includes breakfast and all other amenities and services.

Besides the charges, I hope that your stay has left you with many fond memories of your vacation and that we could welcome you back to the Renaissance sometime in the future. Please feel free to contact me directly via killian.donoghue@renaissancehotels.com and I would be happy to arrange the perfect room for your family.

With best personal regards,

Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I rarely write reviews, but this property is fabulous. What left a lasting impression on us was the staff and their attention to detail and overwhelming friendliness.

This attitude all starts at the top from their amazing GM, Killian. His spirit transfers to the rest of the staff and turns a great property into a perfect property. Also thanks to Dan, Mr. Non and Woody as well.

Thanks for a great time and we will look to come back in the future.

P.S. Thanks for the upgrade, above and beyond the call of duty!

Room Tip: Try and get a Villa either Ocean or Garden. They are quite nice and spacious
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Killian D, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Brad M -

Greetings from Koh Samui! Thank you for your wonderful comment about your stay. I am truly humbled by your praise and will share it with our team, especially Dan, Non and Woody who all are true superstars.

It was wonderful to have you as our guests and thank you for all the interesting chats throughout your stay. Please pass my regards to your wife and son.

I hope that you had a great onward journey and that you will come back to visit one day.

With best personal regards,

Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This resort is amazing. Unlike kindred resorts, ithas limited rooms and very well located so you never feel overwhelmed by other guests with almost a feeling of a so called "boutique" venue.
The beach is great and it's a joy to have a massage on the beach instead of the spa (although it shouldn't be limited to 10:00am-3:00pm). We loved also the service and quality at the various restaurants...breakfast and dinner were delicious and on August 15th a great BBQ with show was arranged on the beach...lovely.
Quite surprisingly, the wi-fi connection all over the property was great, kudos to delver what you promise!
We upgraded to villa...which is gorgeous...a garden villa very quiet, with private pool and garden where I did my yoga practice every morning. Rooms are clean and well put together also when it comes to minor yet important details like complimentary yoga mat, flip flops, mosquito repellent, robes and the likes.

Dear MargaretComm -

Greetings to Shanghai!

Thank you so much for your comments in this forum! I am happy that you experienced the boutique nature of our resort, especially while we strive to provide a very personal service and help our guest discover hidden gems within and outside of the Renaissance.

The Beach BBQ certainly is one of the highlights of the week taking place every thursday and featuring a special surprise show... We just upgraded the buffet with additional local seafood items and I hope that you could come back one day to try it.

WiFi is indeed another important point and as of last week we have further increased the bandwidth per guest to offer a premium surfing experience to everyone.

I hope to welcome you back again one day and remain with sunny greetings from Koh Samui,

Killian Donoghue
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

This is a great place to stay, the staff are super friendly, the breakfast is amazing with a lot of choice and the view from the pool / beach on a clear day is fantastic.

The room was quite large (we stayed in a deluxe room ~204) with a reasonably comfy bed and a lot of TV channels.

The only downsides that we found was that the sheets had a little sand in them, probably from being washed with the towels that are used on the beach, a good shake and we managed to get the majority of it out. The drain in the shower seemed to be a little blocked, so for ~1-2 hours after showering you could hear it dripping. The final issue was when we tried to use the spa on the balcony, turning on the jets caused a lot of stale water (with a strong mouldy smell) to mix with the clean bath water, it probably just needs a flush with chlorine.

We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you get a chance, dine at TawaNN at sunset (~6:30pm), it has a beautiful view and a nice romantic...
Dear boo5td -

Thanks for your nice recommendation on Tripadvisor. I am very proud of our team, especially of our breakfast team at Banana Leaf and will pass on your comments. The breakfast offerings are getting more exciting by the week and we are glad to receive comments such as yours that encourage us not to stop.

Please accept my apologies for the issues you encountered in the room. We have taken this room out of order and completely overhauled it to ensure that future guests will not experience the same.

I hope to be able to welcome you back one day and would be happy to personally take care of the arrangements. Just contact me via killian.donoghue@renaissancehotels.com

With best regards to Sydney,

Killian Donoghue

Been to Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!