“Would have been 5 stars but...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa

You added Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   208/1 Moo 4, Lamai Beach, Maret, Ko Samui 84310, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Book Now and Save 50%
Ranked #8 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Would have been 5 stars but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

... no Mango and Sticky rice.

We stayed here for three nights and did not want to leave. On arrival we were offered an upgrade to a villa for a discount and I'm glad we took this. Villas are ideal for small families or couples seeking a room with their own private courtyard with its own outdoor jacuzzi and two sunloungers. We were a five minute walk from the beach (if you dawdled) and the two restaurants. The staff were friendly and keen to ensure you had a pleasant and enjoyable time. The staff ensured we had plenty of bottled water for our son and asked each day if we needed anything for him. As previous reviews note the little touches like insect repellent in your room were welcome. Reception were helpful in arranging day trips with local taxi firms.

Why then only four stars? Firstly each night we ordered room service and asked for the Thai classic Mango and sticky rice. Each night we were told that it was not available. But when we went walking round the nearby market they was plenty of mangos on sale. We asked for a travel cot for our son which was delivered on time and set up for us. The cot had an insect netting round the side, which was defeated by a hole the size of a 50p piece. The hotel also supplied an insect net (which also had holes in it) so we used this to cover the side and our own travel insect net to cover the top of the cot.

These two 'minor' issue do not warrant a 4 out of 5. More a 4.7, but I cannot award this so 4 out of 5 it is. I will be recommending the Renaissance to all my friends who are looking for somewhere to stay on Koh Samui.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Didier G, Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Mr. Daniel P,
Warm greeting form the Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa.

First of all I would like to thank you for your recent visit in our hotel.
Through Tripadvisor it came to my personal attention that we unfortunately failed in providing you a great experience this time, especially with regards the mango sticky rice and the insect netting for the cot.

There is for sure no excuse for not having any mango sticky rice especially for 3 days. It is only that we are working with approved supplier by Marriott to ensure the quality of products like mangos and that supplier had challenges during that period. Additionally I would like to inform you that we purchased new insect netting for the cot and will make sure that this will be representable like what you can expect from the Renaissance Brand

I would like to take this opportunity to personally apologize to you about this and at the same time to assure you that the Renaissance Koh Samui always seeks to maintain the very highest standards of quality and service.

Dear Daniel P again thank you for your valuable feedback and if there are any questions please do not hesitate to contact me in person.

Didier Guiaux
Beverage & Food Manager
didier.guiaux@renaissancehotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

This is our first trip to koh samui. We are from ottawa canada and we travel alot. The island is stunning and the hotel was perfect. The staff especially dan (tawaNN restaurant) wat and tim as restaurant supervisors made our stay great. The deluxe rooms were large with a cool tub on the balcony. Always clean and fast compared going to mexico or cuba. If you needed anything you gave a call and it was there. The tawaNN restaurant was stunning with a sunset view. The beef night was like eating a steak in canada. Hats off to the chef. For the people who complain they need to pay the prices on our side of the world for mexico etc and not get the best service. We will come back again.

Terry and sherry clark

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Davenport, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My family and I stayed at this hotel for 5 days just before the Christmas, we had a great family time in our pool villa with all the privacy it offered. My kid took dips and played in the in our villa's pool. I also relaxed in the pool. The resort's pool is adequate for adults swim and relax also for children to play and have fun. The breakfast is good, but monotonous, however they have a good selection of fresh juice including healthy juice. The F&B manager and the GM are very friendly and helpful. We got a surprise welcome bottle of wine. The staff are courteous and always full of smiles. We love the location because it is quiet and away from the craziness of Chaweng. We easily went to Chaweng for a bit of the action and then returned to our villa for relaxation. We will return to this hotel before long.

Room Tip: We paid for a one-bedroom pool villa, we had expected there will be a separate bedroom in addition t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed here our 2nd week after spending our first week at renaissance Phuket,
We upgraded to Villa here for extra £300 for week which was worth it, the villas were really lovely done out with private pool.
First impressions were WOW, beautiful beachfront with gorgeous views out towards Lamai, the water was much better for swimming in here than in Phuket.
Food for me was good, but not as nice as Phuket Renaissance, the drinks were served very promptly down at pool bar all day which was good, loved just sitting down there and chilling out, very handy that the kids pool is joined onto the adults pool.
Very handy shuttle service into Lamai or next town for a very cheap rate,
Overall had a very enjoyable week we ate in hotel at night once when it was lobster and steak night which was good, we enjoyed lunch at pol bar and out into Lamai for dinner at night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

This resort had everything I imagined it would have. Staff was friendly, rooms were spacious and comfy, amenities were plentiful. My only complaint would be that it is not located in a convenient place, and the beach is a bit on the small side...so you'll of course want to explore other parts of the island during your stay. A motorbike rental is necessary. The pool itself is pretty amazing though!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the only 2 bedroom villa in the resort, the royal Lamai villa on the beach front, literally you walk on to the beach from your front steps.

The villa was superb, basically two villas that are joined by a living area so kids are in a separate area to sleep. Outdoor area with plunge pool was great. The whole experience was very relaxing, room service and breakfast were fairly good without being outstanding

The resort overall is probably a 4 to 4.5 star standard other than this villa which is a standout. Back rooms are across a road so long walk down to pool and beach

I would recommend the royal Lamai villa in particular to families of 4 or 5 for a great location at a good price

• Stayed December 2012
giussano
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Usually I'm always positive in my comments, either totally positive or partially positive, This is the first time I'm completely negative. There is only one thing to say for that Resort: DO NOT GO THERE! Then, let me explain why:
1) their welcome: before arriving there, we booked a taxi through the Hotel, they offered the service to come to pick us up in the airport for 900 bat. It looked a fair rate, but why the same car, with the same driver, book through the same hotel, going to the same airport, is charged 620 bat if you book it in the reception???? Wouldn't you feel like a lemon that has been squeezed?
2) we booked a room with sea view in April. In September I asked to the Hotel to confirm our booking and they did it. When we arrive on 22nd Dec there were no more sea view room, or, at least, there was a room that they call sea view, pity that we could not see the sea as between us and the sea there was a wall made by trees. They explained to me it is not their fault if the trees grew and there was no more sea view.
3) as I went to complain for the room I had to queu after a gentleman from New Zealand that had problem with his own room, and another one from Hong Kong, still with other problems. I had to wait next day to sort my problem out. Sort out = I took a room without sea view.
4) there were also funny things in that resort, like: guess what is the relationship between a broken safe and a foot with a bad cut. I guess many readers would be in troubles in finding a connection, right? So, think to that, after I settled the problem of the room, I entered in my room WITHOUT sea view and I found the safe was not working, so I call the reception and they sent a young boy with a black box that repaired the safe in very short time. Then I went to the beach. Look at the attached photo I made. You can see they are informing you to "mind your step from sharp stones and broken shells" in my country if there is such a sign, the meaning is "carefull, it could happen that....", in Koh Samui Resort the meaning is "carefull, you are 100% sure it will happen!" so whoever was entering in the water without shoes was coming out with bad cut or bad pin in his foot. It happened to me and it happened to all the people I talk to. However they put a sign for that, so I can only blame myself. But think to my face when I came out from the water with a bad cut on my foot, I asked for help and they sent to me....guess who they send.....the same boy with the same black box that one hour before had repaired my safe. I must say that he "repaired" my foot quite well, he was good in repairing "broken" things, whatever they are...........

Stay home! keep your money in your pocket, that Resort is also quite expensive, belonging to Marriott group!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
RenaissanceKohSamui, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear enzo1953,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at the Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa.

I am very sorry to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations.
Regarding the situation with sea view deluxe room we truly apologize that we were not able to find a suitable solution for you, even though we offered you a room on the 6th floor which has an absolutely amazing sea view. For the airport transfer we upgraded the car as you booked a lower category vehicle than upon arrival, so as a courtesy we provided you with the same car & driver as upon arrival, we might have communicated this not correctly to you.
Furthermore, I am very sorry to hear that you had a cut to your foot, due to the fact that we have a fully intact reef located approximately 150 meters in front of our beach it happens that bits and pieces of this reef are washed ashore. However, our Loss Prevention associates, who deal with safety box issues as well as injuries, are fully trained in first aid and ready to assist at any time.
Most importantly however, is that we are really sorry to hear that you regret having stayed with us. If your travels should bring you back to Koh Samui one day we hope you will give us the chance to provide you with a different experience.
Dear enzo1953, thank you again for your stay, should there be anything else that I can be as of assistance with, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

With best regards,

Lutz Mueller
lutz.mueller@renaissancehotels.com

Been to Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!