“Almost 5 Star” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa

You added Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   146/24 Moo 4, Lamai Beach, Maret, Ko Samui 84310, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Singapore, Singapore
“Almost 5 Star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

We stayed 3 nights at Le Meridien Oct 23-26, taking advantage of the opening promotions. It is a wonderful resort, despite the relative small size. This is not your normal huge International chain resorts. It is more like an exclusive boutique resort. Staff number is limited which makes interaction with them all the more personal. It's easy to remember all of them and vice versa -- another good trait with boutique offerings. However you do get the high standard of furnishing and facilities that comes with big chain resorts. So I think it is a winning combination.

Check in is a breeze.

Overall room size is generous. It is divided almost in half into indoor and outdoor area. Toilet, shower, Bath tube is all at outdoor open area, with an open terrace at the main entrance. Nice touch but do be careful of insects if you are the insects magnet type. I don't have any problems with mosquito but can't say that for my wife. Indoor furniture is made of solid wood in classic Asian style and bed is very comfortable with the exception to people who prefer really hard ones.

My wife had a problem with the curtain of the window beside the bed, which does not block out light completely. So we asked to change the room, which is handled really smoothly. We were moved to a SPG Preferred room. I am member of SPG. Not sure why they did not put me there in the first place. Anyway, the room, though similar in size, is of a better layout in my opinion. The terrace is now off the bedroom and almost enclosed and so does make the room feel larger.

There is only one restaurant and right next to it, the main bar by the pool. Pool size is relatively small about 20M X20M. It is right in front of the Restaurant. Then just beyond the pool is the north Lamai beach front and open sea. The floating platform on its beach front is a wonderful addition. You need to see it to believe its size. My wife swam the length of the platform. It's a pity the water is murky due to monsoon rain, I guess.

Breakfast is the standard chain resort buffet with Thai and Western coverage. No freshly squeezed juice is an apparent oversight. Another minor point is there are insects congregating on the fresh fruits. While this is not an issue for me but it is for people like my wife who are insects-phobic. We did not try the main meals at the restaurant, as we read from other reviews that it’s overpriced.

They do offer lots of activities. Most are free. We did want to try Kayak but bad weather and tour schedule ruled it out. But we did try the Upper Body Workout class in the Gym. A 5-star session thanks to its instructor. Night time movie by the pool is another good idea. Never tried that before but swimming/dipping in the pool while enjoying a movie under the starry night is certainly a memorable experience.

The location of the resort is on the north side of Lamai beach. Lamai is quieter, less crowded and more “Thai”, compared with the popular and over populated Chaweng beach. However if you want to experience Chaweng you need a taxi from this hotel, (not cheap for short distance even the Pickup Truck style).

It's about 15 minutes walk into Lamai centre where you can find local shops, restaurants, local markets and a Tesco supermarket. We did bump into the Sunday night market on Lamai Beach Road. Wonderful experience both culinary and cultural. Must see if the timing is right.

It's also about 15 minutes walk in the opposite direction to Crystal Bay, where there are several lookout spots and a couple of good restaurants: "The Cliff" (the more expensive one) and "Big Rock"(the more value for money one).

I really want to give this resort a 5 star rating. But two things prevent me from doing that. First we have experienced better breakfasts from several resorts of similar class in South East Asian countries.

Secondly, we needed to walk out to our booked taxi. Not a short distance, especially with me carrying two large bags and my regulator bag. We were under the full view of the receptionist whom I had settled my account with just a second ago and yet no one came to our aid. I think this second point is really unacceptable. Door boy, who had no way of seeing any guests need help with bags due to the resort layout, did help us to put the bags into the taxi, outside the resort but what's the point? I had done the hard yards already.

Would I go back to Le Meirdien? Yes, but I do wish I can give them 5 stars on my next visit.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Le_Meridien_Koh_Samu, General Manager at Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 4, 2011
Dear Sherwood6

Thank you so much for taking your time to write an inspiring review for us. Your feedback is invaluable and will only allow us to continue to improve.

We are glad that you have a chance to discover various facilities and services provided by the resort including the Upper Body Workout class, the Night Time movie by the pool and even our 224 meter Floating Ocean Pier. Did you know that we also offer fish feeding, Thai cooking school and Thai boxing lessons all within the Resort?!

As part of our Le Méridien brand, we have introduced the signature breakfast menu including “eye openers” that are created by Three-star Michelin Chef, Jean-Georges who brings a global collection of classic breakfast dishes, reinvented for your new perspective on breakfast.

Thank you again for taking the time. We welcome your return to the Resort in our exclusive and private location at Lamai. Our new diverse dining experiences are curtained to be enjoyed and cater for all budgets and cuisine pallets.

Lyndon Ellis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

This is a fantastic hotel, but is not 'true luxury'. Great facilities, nice staff and interesting design make it a nice option.

Don't eat here -- restaurant is overpriced as are massages. Better options (greenbird in chaweng and radiance which is just down the beach to the right) offer much better Thai food for 1/10 the price. The massages on the beach are very relaxing and worthwhile!

• Stayed October 2011
Dear Traveler_Consultant

Thank you for taking your time to write a review. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed our unique design of rich Thai, Chinese, Burmese, and Indian cultures with a focus on many Feng Shui elements through our the guest rooms and public space.

At Le Méridien, we have an inspired team who are dedicated to deliver the best experience possible and it is great to know that the team are meeting guest expectations.

We have since introduced some unique dining experience for our guest to choose from. We offer romantic “Pier Dining”, private “Villa Dining” where guest can choose for a private chef or to discover their own cuisine skills and many more options to cater for all budgets.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

Opitimy of resort living. Banyan Tree without the price tag. Would be nice if there was more than one restaurant, but that didn't detract from our stay. Lovely attention to detail and gorgeous rooms. Would stay again for sure.

• Stayed October 2011
Dear Zeke 212

Sunny greetings form Koh Samui and thank you for sharing your brief review.

Currently, we are introducing more dining options for our guest with the concept of “Dining between the Stars” where the dining will be around the Feng Shui feature at the HUB with contemporary local Thai entertainment and “Cuisine Experience” at Latitude 9 for guest to discover more about the local Thai cuisine as they personally interact with the Chefs, “Pier Dining” for those seeking the ultimate romantic dinner as the literally float over the Gulf o Thailand and “Villa Dining” where guests can choose for a private setting in their exclusive Villa with a personal chef or, choose to explore their own culinary skills with all equipment and food provided!

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we are looking forward to seeing you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

After 6 months since I stayed, I have come back to write this review. Because after staying at the Gurich, I compare every hotel I stay in to it. And is incomparable in every aspect.

First of all the whole atmosphere is tranquil and allows you to relax. The food was always good. Service always efficient, professional and friendly. The room was fantastic, the outdoor shower and the huge bath tub was bliss. The bed gave me many nights of good sleep. Just made me feel at home. I didn't want to leave to be honest.

Spa was immense, the decor, the facilities (apart from the shower which was always cold). It was like an underground maze. I had two packages there, they used Thalgo which I liked, price was reasonable and the technicians were professional.

Whilst we were there the pier was broken up by a storm, the owner of the hotel came to monitor the repair and was very nice, hopefully is fixed now.

I would like to go back if I am going to Koh Samui again, just a perfect hotel. You can't find a flaw in it,

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

The Gurich Samai is now fully converted to Le Meridien and we checked in on the 7th after reading the positive reviews on trip advisor. We arrived at 8.00pm and having requested a pickup it had not arrived so we took a local taxi thinking that so merging had happened to the communication. Pays to confirm these things doesnt it!

It was raining heavily when we arrived and checkin was smooth. We were delighted with our room (poolside in block 3). I have rarely experienced such a great setting in a hotel. The pool area was relatively private although yo u share it with other poolside rooms. We rarely sighted other guests however so it was ideal for us.

The advertised free wireless access is 100% correct and most hotels seem to do this. A pleasant relief after Singapore. We did have an issue with constant drop outs and after suffering this for two days were advised by the hotel that the system was being upgraded in a month and there were known issues in some rooms. We moved to a new room in block 4 and never experienced this problem again.

Bottled water is provided free. One point to note is that mini bar is quite expensive for Thailand even compared to Bangkok, however there are small stores everywhere that can provide your needs substantially cheaper. If these items were 30% cheaper I would d purchase from the hotel. A bottle of evian eg is on the mini bar at 110 baht and we bougt 3 bottle same size at local store for 80 baht. Restaurat prices are also quiet expensive although food quality is quite good the breakfast is outstanding.

Overall this hotel is great. The setting is superb and if you want a great relaxing time you can do a lot worse than the new Le Meridien at lamai.

Burleigh Heads, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

This hotel had been highly recommended by someone who had stayed previously in a pool villa (6-8 villas surrounding a common pool). She suggested I book an Ocean Front Pool Villa! Good advice! I was holidaying with my partner and on a romantic 'getaway', so I cannot comment or review any other room choice as I didn't look and simply wasn't interested. After 2 weeks of walking, dining in, and exploring all the Trip Advisor 'top hotels' (we are hotel perve's), we were just so happy about our choice. It was romantic, Thai style, had a totally relaxed atmosphere, and we couldn't have been happier. The villa was devine! Right on the beach- what a view to wake up to every morning!!! Although the beach wasn't good for swimming (rocky reef in front -but booties and snookles and goggles are provided by attentive staff when you'd like), if you have your own pool and privacy the beach wasn't necessary. Plus, after gorging on a delicious buffet breakfast we would take long walks up the Lamai beach and within a few hundred metres, and after the fresh to order eggs and smoked salmon were settled, you could just float away in crystal clear blue water shallows.
The little touches were really enjoyed and appreciated. The pillow menu, the exceptional bed quality, the Nespresso machine, the nightly turndown, the silk pillow in the lounge pavillion, the Tivoli sound Docking station, and so much more. The only thing I would change is to put a DVD player in the lounge villa. Everything else was simply perfect.
I would also like to add a special mention about my experience at the spa! The girls were amazing! I had a one of there house specialty massages and on another occassion a pedicure and manicure. Sublime, amazing, perfect, and the most relaxing experience I have had anywhere in the world!!!
The staff were helpful, prompt, genuinely friendly, capable and overall completely 5 star quality!
We were there during the change over to management and the new Le Meridien name. I don't know what they have in mind to improve this perfect property, but wish them all the best!!!
I would like to thank all the staff and management for there attentiveness and service and we will definitely be back to visit! Thank you for making our stay so special.

Room Tip: Can't go past an Ocean Front Pool Villa
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

As a platinum member with Starwood I can say that this was unfortunately my one truly disappointing stay at a Starwood Hotel in recent years and certainly not up to Le Meridien standards. We came for our honeymoon and any request we made seemed like too much trouble. We had issues with the room, the food and the concierge. When we brought these up to the front office manager they were largely dismissed. We left after two days and switched to the W Retreat and then finished our vacation at the Le Meridien Khao Lak. Both were wonderful experiences. It's a very nice place but in our case management failed to make us feel like anything more than a burden.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
LeMeridienKohSamui, General Manager at Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Dear MattB08

Thank you for your feedback. Sorry to read that the Resort did not meet your expectations during your stay. Rest assured that we truly value all our Platinum SPG members and try to accommodate upgrades whenever possible based on availability. The team briefed me on your concerns and I was hoping to meet you in the morning, however we missed you when you departed.

We hope you'll reconsider staying with us again on your next trip to Koh Samui. We would definitely welcome the opportunity to regain your confidence in the Le Méridien brand, services and facilities.

Kind Regards,
Lyndon Ellis.

Been to Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!