“Quiet, convenient location .... but not what we expected.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Magic Resort

You added Magic Resort to your Saves list
Magic Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   130 Moo 3 | T. Maret, Lamai Beach, Maret, Ko Samui 84310, Thailand   |
Ranked #44 of 52 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Quiet, convenient location .... but not what we expected.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed at Magic Resort because it came with VERY high recommendations from good friends of ours. Unfortunately we didn't take into account that they'd stayed there during the low season, whereas we were visiting right in the middle of the high season. Still, this place was cheap and cheerful, and definitely a quiet spot. I guess this one comes down to some poor choices on our behalf because there were nicer rooms there that we could've booked instead of the one we ended up in.

First things first: Our friends specifically recommended this resort to us because of the beach. They said Lamai Beach was paradise, and after having a bit of a rough experience on Ko Phangan we were looking forward to getting to the "paradise" of Ko Samui and in particular, Lamai Beach. Upon arrival at Magic Resort, we wandered down to the beach to check in. To our absolute horror the beach was completely and utterly polluted. It soon became evident that the rubbish had drifted over from Ko Phangan and the Full Moon Party a few nights beforehand. This was just so sad and upsetting to see.

Anyway, this first impression sort of marred our time on Ko Samui, and made it impossible to make the most of the resort's sun loungers and bar area on the beach. We didn't see much of the staff, however the made up our room and gave us fresh towels everyday which was great. The room was super basic but was clean and really all we needed for our short stay. The bed was TERRIBLE though - so uncomfortable with a hard mattress and springs poking through into our backs!! Other than that though our stay was comfortable enough.

The resort is in a great location - only a minute walk from a whole range of shops, markets [the night food markets are AMAZING!!!!!], restaurants, cafes and bars. Harry's restaurant just next to Magic Resort is so awesome, I can 110% recommend it for Thai food - and the European food looks great too.

If an easy location and basic digs is what you are after, then Magic will definitely suffice. If it's a beautiful beach you long for then definitely give Lamai a big miss.

Room Tip: I would go for an A/C room as they looked nicer, and lighter, than the fan rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Kerrie F

uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Stayed here in a deluxe room, which had a double bed and also a single bed. Paid 1500 bht per night which we thought was great. room clean with tv, air con , large fridge. Bathroom very large and a little outdated but you get what you pay for.
All in all great placeto stay for the price.

• Stayed January 2013
5 Thank sinagporesal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Upon checking the owner gave me the impression she had no idea of my booking. I understand with hotels/resorts using a third party there can sometimes be delays etc with online bookings so I disregarded this somewhat. What I didn't like was the attitude. I think she thought I was lying, even after showing my confirmation.
The bungalow stinks of damp, the ceiling is decaying and te tap in the 'bathroom' doesn't work along with the shower. The shower has a mind of its own and won't stay on more than a couple of minutes. Annoying after havin been on the beach and trekking most of the day.
However there are 2 things that appear to work in the room 2 lights and a power socket.
I thought it would be nicer for the amount I paid but obviously I wa wrong. Shame because the location is lovely. Shame about pretty much everything else.

• Stayed December 2012
5 Thank TravellingJanieBear

Travelers are raving about these Lamai Beach hotels

Priekule, Lithuania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I can recommend this place. It's nice, quiet, not expensive. You will a get a relaxing stay just on the beach. Our bungalow was very simple but functional and clean enough (considering it is a bungalow 3 meters away from the beach on the island not a 5 star hotel in Bangkok).

One bad thing - very slow Wifi with bad connection. For those who does not need internet this place will be ok.
Oh, one more little nice detail, they offer free sunbeds for the guests. Fantastic, is'nt it?

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Virginija J
Mackay, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

This place was pretty full when I made a booking over the phone, they offered me a fan cooled 'hut' for 500baht per night. When I arrived they took me to a dark and dingy bamboo hut that was full of mosquitoes a filthy bathroom and a wall fan mounted on the ceiling that did not even work. No thanks I said, so they showed me the only other option that day, the hut next door. This was also filthy with windows that were about to fall off and a door that was only just hanging on the hinges but at least the fan worked. As I was tired after a day of bus and ferry travel I reluctantly took the room. I then discovered that there was no hot water in the (grubby indeed) shower, but as I was hot I had a cold shower any way. That night I had frequent visits by mosquitoes and found the fan noisy but pretty efficient. Tried to flush the toilet in the morning... no water at all, none in the shower or basin either. Asked the guys working in the restaurant about the lack of water and got this response " we don't have any water today, it is the same everywhere, Samui has a shortage of water due to the drought and no rain, might get some later today. So I walked out and over the road to the 7/11, when I was in there I tried the tap... no problem. Went into a hotel right next to Magic, tried the taps..... lots of water... asked about the supply of water and was told no problem, why do you ask?

Went back to Magic, checked out and found somewhere much nicer and better value.... with ample water and staff who told the truth!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank marianman
Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Reasonably cheap resort - we paid 1000 baht a night for 2 people and had a beachfront unit..Other units are cheaper at the back..great access for the beach and at night the beach comes alive with all the dinner tables on the beach all lit up waiting for customers..Staff didn't speak much English but we managed to get by..It doesn't have a pool but then why do you need it when the beach is right in front and it is very calm for swimming..

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Shush4
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

i came here for a week and ended up staying for 4 weeks, i cant really fault the place. We agreed on a price of 700 per night if i stayed that long normally 800-900. The owners are very nice and helpful. The rooms are big and very clean, i had 4 cleaners spending 30 minutes cleaning my room everyday, absolutely spotless! If you are into watching TV on holiday they have many channels by the looks of it. The food in the restaurant was good and reasonably priced. Most of the staff are Burmese who will do anything for you. The wifi worked really good here compared to some other places i have stayed in the past. I'll def be back again

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Samui Mermaid Resort
Samui Mermaid Resort
#129 of 183 in Bophut
3.0 of 5 stars 180 reviews

Been to Magic Resort? Share your experiences!