“Great Honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Banyan Tree Samui

You added Banyan Tree Samui to your Saves list
Banyan Tree Samui
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   99/9 Moo 4, Lamai Beach, Maret, Ko Samui 84310, Thailand   |
Ranked #1 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great Honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

We had very good time ,very luxury villa and great services. My wife was so happy.

Villa is locate on the good high view surrounded by coconut trees. There is beautiful private beach. The beach was clean and nice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

BanyanTreeManagement, General Manager at Banyan Tree Samui, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Greetings from Banyan Tree Samui!

Thank you for choosing our resort for your special occasion and for sharing your comments with us. I am delighted to read that you felt comfortable in our resort and that the service from our team exceeded your expectations. It is feedback such as yours that provides added motivation for our team to continue delivering the highest of standards and I have already shared this with all.

Our villas perched on the hillside of our private bay command stunning views of the Gulf of Thailand and deliver a wonderful sense of peacefulness and relaxation. I am glad you and your wife found your villa as well as our entire resort to be the perfect location for your honeymoon.

Thank you once again for staying with us. Congratulations to the both of you on your marriage and I wish you nothing but happiness as you journey through life together. It would be my pleasure to welcome you back to Banyan Tree Samui for a future anniversary or any occasion.

Remko Kroesen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

We wanted a five night break in Asia in August - very last minute. We alighted on the Banyan tree after reading reviews. This not an inexpensive hotel, but the quality of the accommodation and the welcome of the staff made this a very special time for us. The rooms are wonderful, airy , light and have a lovely pool . There are views from the bedroom sitting room and bath room! Golf carts get you around the resort and your butler will arrange anything you need.

Best meal of the day - the very comprehensive breakfast buffet! Lunch at the beach club was great and dinner at Saffron delicious the two times we went.

Given the location , it would benefit from a proper bar to enjoy cocktails at in the evenings.

We will be going back.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear mbirley,

Greetings from Samui!

Thank you very much for staying with us recently and for sharing your experience.
From the comfort and design of your villa to the attentive service from our team to the breakfast buffet at The Edge overlooking the Gulf of Thailand to the cuisine offered at Saffron, our signature Thai restaurant, and Sands, our beachfront restaurant, it is wonderful that each combined for a relaxing and rejuvenating stay with us.

I appreciate your feedback regarding the addition of a bar for evening drinks. While our Lobby Lounge stays open until midnight and welcomes guests for light food and drinks in a stunning setting overlooking our private bay, I am pleased to inform you that we are in the process of laying the groundwork to construct an additional outlet that can provide our guests with a relaxing and fun setting to enjoy either pre- or post-dinner drinks.

mbirley, thank you once again for choosing Banyan Tree. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back for another memorable holiday and to show you some of the improvements we have made to our resort.

A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Was expecting much more from Banyan tree, or for anything thats US$1000 per night. The Ocean Pool Villa was only partial ocean view, I kind of need to stick my head out on the porch to see the ocean.
The breakfast was really not impressive, I had been to 4 star hotels that has better breakfast buffet.
The private fishing trip arranged by Banyan tree was very bad, its an old fishing boat(the wooden blue ones you see with a net kind) and the trip was cut shot by the captain for over 2 hrs. So an 8 hrs fishing trip minus the commute I only got to fish for less than 3 hrs. But like I am going to fight with the captain in the middle of the ocean.
I enjoyed the trip regardless, but Banyan Tree wasnt adding any point to the beautiful Koh Samui.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

BanyanTreeManagement, General Manager at Banyan Tree Samui, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for sharing your comments. As a Banyan Tree property, we take pride in delivering only the highest level of service and it comes with my sincere disappointment to learn of your feedback. I have personally investigated your claim on “partial” ocean view and I am afraid the villa you occupied offers sweeping views over the ocean.

As far as your fishing trip is concerned, we do not operate these “fishing” enterprises and can only go by recommendation and feedback from our guests. To date we have not received any comments such as yours and are in fact rather surprised by your feedback as both our Villa Host you spoke to the day after and the operator we spoke to gave us very positive, enthusiastic reviews of your experience. We have, however, shared your information with the outsourced contractor.

Thank you once again for your stay with us and I hope these few incidents do not mar your overall perception of our brand. However, should you choose to visit a different region of the world, we would be honoured to have you stay at one of our sister properties for your holiday.

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We've stayed in many nice resorts around South East Asia, however, this was our first time in a Banyan Tree Resort.

We arranged for the hotel to pick us up from another resort we were staying at, and they picked us up in a nice Toyota SUV, with cold water and cold towels waiting in the back seat for us.

The villa is set along a cliff which wraps around a bay. The main entrance is quite a distance from the main road, so no way are you going to be walking out of the resort. The reception area is high up on the cliff, and the view was pretty amazing. Check in was done at the lobby bar, but I think that was done as the 2 counters at the reception were already occupied, so is not the standard.

Check in was smooth. This is where they lose 1/2 a star from my rating though. I had booked the standard villa, but was hoping to perhaps upgrade to the ocean view (no, I wasn't looking for a free upgrade. I was more than willing to pay the difference). However, I was told that there were no ocean view villas available, and the only other villas they had were the hilltop villas (which was a little bit more than what I wanted). I actually did check online just before check in and during and after check in, and I could easily book an ocean view villa for the same nights on the banyan trees own website. So I'm not sure why it wasn't offered to me.

The villa itself is done up really quite beautifully. It didn't, however, really give a sense of space though. The inside space is very long and narrow, like a long corridor, and to be honest, there wasn't much walking space in the living room. The outside space is a little bit larger than the inside space, which meant the pool was quite large, much more functional than just a plunge pool that other resorts have. The pool can be accessed directly from either the living room, the bedroom or the shower. The view was pretty uninspiring from the villa, but I'd assume the ocean view would have been much much better.

We ate at Saffron twice, and we thought the food was above average. Portion size was quite decent. Yes, you definitely will be eating cheaper outside, but I suppose you pay for the convenience of eating within the resort and for the amazing view (it's also situated at the top of the cliff, looking into the ocean). So value wise, no, not great, but if you come in expecting to pay top resort prices, I guess you won't be too shocked. We had lunch at the Sands, which is along the beach, and the food there was pretty average too, the Thai food obviously being better than the western fare. There was an option of a BBQ dinner buffet at the Sands as well, but we felt it was definitely not worth the price, which was THB2900 per person! Our meal at Saffron for the 2 of us (plus our 2yr old kid) was less that THB2700 in total! (just water, no wine)

Breakfast was at yet another restaurant, called the Edge. Again, pretty standard hotel/resort buffet breakfast spread. An egg station (which always overdid the poached eggs....), selection of hot western and thai dishes, breads, cheese, fruits.. and strangely, ice cream. For breakfast. Never seen that in a breakfast buffet before to be honest...

I have no complaints about the service. We were attended too quite promptly at each of the restaurants. You need a buggy service to get around from place to place, and they usually are quite fast to respond once you call for one. The longest we had to wait was approximately 8-10 mins.

Overall, it was a nice and pleasant stay. At that price though, I would like to be more wowed by the experience. I've stayed in other resorts (albeit other countires), paid a bit less, and just had a more incredible experience. Banyan Tree Samui was nice, comfortable, pleasant, but just lacked that oomph that would make me want to go back there next week!

Room Tip: Pay that little bit extra (since you're paying quite a bit already!) and get at least an ocean v...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear lohwj,

Greetings from sunny Samui!

Thank you for choosing Banyan Tree Samui for your recent visit to Samui and for extending your comments regarding your stay.

I am pleased to read that you found your villa to be suitable; however, I regret that we were unable to accommodate your desire to upgrade to an Ocean Pool Villa. I have shared your comments with our Front Office and Reservations team to investigate the circumstances surrounding the time period of your stay. Despite this, it is fantastic that you were able to have a relaxing and rejuvenating holiday nonetheless.

I regret to hear of the minor drawbacks you experienced during your stay. Your feedback is valuable to us and I have already passed these along to our management for their review and action. I trust from your comments that these isolated incidents did not mar your overall perception of our resort.

lohwj, thank you once again for your stay and for choosing Banyan Tree. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the future, surpass your expectations and to deliver another memorable holiday.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We frequently take our family holidays in the Far East and have stayed in some lovely hotels. However the Banyan Tree is the best hotel we have stayed in. Wonderful villas with beautiful decor, outstanding service, and two great restaurants and a wonderful beach which never felt crowded. I'm ashamed to say that we only left the hotel once during our 8 day stay. We will be back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Nick L,

Greetings from Banyan Tree Samui!

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to offer your comments. It is wonderful to hear that you and your family were able to have a relaxing holiday as our entire team attended to your each and every need from your arrival through to your departure. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the comfort of your villa, the privacy and relaxation offered at our beach as well as the cuisine served at our dining outlets.

Nick L, thank you once again for choosing Banyan Tree Samui. We look forward to welcoming your family back to our resort and to delivering another equally memorable holiday.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

There is no denying that this place is incredible to look at. Each villa is enormous and beautifully decorated - even the entry level villas. The beach is very pretty and all the views from the bars and restaurants are picture perfect. However, I felt the prices were not acceptable for the quality of the food and drinks that was served.

We had a meal at the Saffron restaurant one night. The service and setting was great. The food was slightly above average - nothing special or that I would go out of my way to tell anyone about but the bill, with a bottle of wine, came to nearly £200. Similarly, we chose the beach-side buffet on another night, the cost of that was £70 each. It really wasn't worth anywhere near that. Once again, if you put a bottle of wine on top of that, that's a huge bill.

I just feel like you are being deliberately ripped-off as the management know you must be fairly wealthy to stay here and are effectively trapped in the resort so you will just pay whatever. A bottle of Singha beer that would cost you a £1 outside the resort gates somehow magically becomes worth £7.50 once it's been touched by Banyan Tree hands. Similarly, a glass of very average wine is £10 - about the same price as you can buy a bottle in the outside world. It's like you are being punished for being lucky enough to afford to stay at a Banyan Tree resort. I've been to quite a few Banyan Tree resorts and the F&B prices seem disproportionally high here. It's not as easy to enjoy a leisurely afternoon bottle of Singha at the beach when you know you are not paying a fair price for it. For this reason I found it hard to relax at the resort and wouldn't go back. Unless you don't mind paying above the odds for average food and generic drinks, then I don't recommend Banyan Tree Koh Samui. The alternative is to stock up at a supermarket on the way there on drinks and Cup Noodles!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear SingaporeRedDot,

Greetings from sunny Samui!

Thank you for choosing Banyan Tree Samui for your holiday. It is fantastic that you enjoyed the overall design of your villa and the stunning views of the Gulf of Thailand from various vantage points in the resort.

I am pleased that you found the service and settings of our restaurants to be great; however, I regret to hear of your disappointment with the price points of our food and beverage items which you felt diminished your relaxation during your stay. Your constructive feedback is both welcomed and much appreciated. I have already passed along your comments to our Food and Beverage department for their review, and we will look into our pricing to ensure it is adequate and acceptable in comparison to our sister resorts as well as other properties operating on Samui.

We do hope you shall accept this note as a genuine token of regret for the dissatisfaction you experienced and that you shall not allow this aspect of your stay to mar your perception of Banyan Tree Samui.
SingaporeRedDot, thank you once again for staying with us. In the future, if we have the opportunity to welcome you as our patron once again, we would be delighted to discuss with you directly how we can accommodate your requests and deliver a memorable holiday. Should you prefer to visit a different destination, we sincerely hope you continue to choose our brand for your future travels.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed at Banyan Tree Koh Samui for our Honeymoon August 2013.

From day 1 of our 12 night visit we were treated with the upmost attention. The staff are without a doubt the nicest staff from a hotel that we've dealt with (and we've stayed at a lot of hotels!) Our host Wi was absolutely brilliant and went out of her way on more than one occasion to accommodate our needs.

We stayed in Hillcrest villa IO8 and were absolutely amazed by the attention to detail, amazing infinity pool and cleanliness of the room. The room was kitted out with rose petals and honeymoon treats which was a lovely touch.

To get to and from different areas of the resort we were transferred by little buggies which were always a 5 minute phone call away. The staff who we got to know really well over the 2 weeks were always polite, happy and a great laugh as well, which contributed to an extra touch to our transporting to and from different places within the resort. The grounds of the resort are immaculate and constantly cared for day in day our by gardeners and maintainers.

The restaurants within the resort, Saffron, Sands and The Edge were yet again perfect. The food was always promptly served, hot and dished up with a smile. Dinner at Sands was probably my favourite due to a great location on the beach with stunning views.

The private secluded beach was great, free snorkelling gear and water sports. Waiters on the beach supplying you with cold towels, water and drinks upon request. There were gazebos for those who wanted to get out of the shade along with loungers all under parasols which the staff would happily put up or down.

We had 1 trip to the Spa which again, was amazing. I can't remember the name of the particular massage I had but it was a full body massage for an hour which was out of this world. Afterward we treated out selves to the Rainforest experience (for a very reasonable 100thb) which consisted of a rainforest shower, steam rooms, wet rooms, hot stone beds, ice showers and a pool with different water massage stations. Ive read previously of some reviews that the rainforest spa is a let down, ignore these comments, they couldn't be further from the truth if they tried!

The whole two weeks were un-faultable. We had amazing weather, a great view every morning and evening, great food and a great time due to the great job that the staff at Banyan Tree do day in and day out!

It may be expensive, but in this day and age you get what you pay for and we'd do it all again tomorrow if we could!

Special thanks to Wi, Tik, Charlie, Joe & Gooner for making the experience even more perfect than it already was!

Many Thanks

Sam & Natalie Adams

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
BanyanTreeManagement, General Manager at Banyan Tree Samui, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear SamAdams83,

Greetings from Banyan Tree Samui, your Sanctuary for the Senses!

Thank you for choosing our brand for your special occasion and for extending your comments. I am delighted to read that we were able to exceed your expectations and to deliver a memorable holiday.

It is always a pleasure to read notes such as yours and I am thrilled that you were impressed by the attention to detail from our associates as well as the thoughtful touches that greet you throughout your stay. We take pride in delivering the highest level of service and I am glad that your Villa Host, Wi, as well as Tik, Charlie, Joe, Gooner and our entire team were able to meet your every need and deliver a relaxing, worry free stay.

From the seclusion of our private bay, to the comfort of your villa with stunning views stretching out across the resort to the Gulf of Thailand, to the cuisine at our various restaurants, to the complimentary water activities on offer, to the soothing comfort of our Banyan Tree Spa and The Rainforest, it is great that each combined to create the honeymoon trip that you envisioned.
SamAdams83, thank you once again for staying with us. Congratulations to the both of you on your marriage and I wish you nothing but happiness as you journey through life together. It would be my pleasure to welcome you back to Banyan Tree Samui for a future anniversary or any occasion. brand.

Remko Kroesen

Been to Banyan Tree Samui? Share your experiences!