“Great independent stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chaulty Towers

Save Saved
You added Chaulty Towers to your Saves list
Chaulty Towers
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   149 / 31 Moo 4, Lamai Beach, Maret, Ko Samui 84310, Thailand   |
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great independent stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Nice little place, lovely pool within. Very personal service, Steve more than happy to give you a lift into town and gave us a great rundown of what's what in the area. Offers home cooked breakfast and an honesty bar a nice touch. Great price,
would recommend.

• Stayed June 2014

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Leuven, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Steve, the owner, is a great guy with a great guesthouse. Nice and clean bed rooms, excellent service, good tips and tricks for a great stay, good and tasty breakfast, etc... . If you want to enjoy your stay on Koh Samui, go to Chaulty towers. Backpackers might say it is expensive, but I think it is excellent value for your money. A nice pool also.

I loved my stay here and will always return here when on koh Samui. Thanks Steve!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Just had 5 more nights with Steve at Chaulty Towers. We had 3 rooms with a group of friends. The rooms are still excellent value. Nice bed and bath. Ice cool air-con, fan, good sized fridge for supplies, and all for 1000THB.
Steve's service and interaction remain a major draw card. Had a couple of nights out with him as usual playing some pool. He even setup a gig for us for a small fee between the 10 or so of us at a local Thai bar. Good fun, and finally got to hear Steve and Noise his Thai guitarist belt out a few tunes. Very impressive. He offers lifts whenever needed around Lamai, and even ferried people out for food during some heavy downpours.
As usual met some really nice people staying there. A long term resident being the pick of the bunch.
Steve now has new 125cc bikes for rent too. Proved very useful for our usual trekking adventures.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Stayed with Steve for 20 nights between April-May 2014. I was influenced by the lack of negative feedback on Tripadvisor and now I know why - there aren't any negatives. I took on board the point of bookng well in advance (some 10 months ago).

I arrivd at Samui airport not knowing what to expect and questioned the wisdom of booking for almost 3 weeks purely on the basis of TA reviews. However, Steve was at the airport to collect me and all my doubts were put to rest. He subsequently offered to give me lifts to various places in the resort and on the island. His local knowledge, and ability to speak Thai, opened lots of doors for me. Nothing is too much toule for him.

I was on holiday by myself but soon made good freinds at Chaulty. Many were repeat visitors who all poured praise on Steve from past visits.

I was lucky enought to get a free accommodation upgrade during my visit but there was absolutely nothing at all wrong with the room hat I was in. All rooms are spotlessly clean and all your possessions are very safe.

The pool is fantastic and you can frequently have it to yourself. Opposite Chaulty is a very good laundry that charges next to nothing to return your clothes cleaned and ironed (you only need to take 2 or 3 of things sch as shirts/tops - I overpacked!)

The nearest beach is probably a 10 minute fast walk away with the best part of the beach for swimming about 20. However, there are lots of places to stop for refreshment on the way and Steve is always and about and willingly offers you a ride.

Stee also has bikes to hire which makes getting around the island very easy. The rates are exremely good.

I shall join the number of returning guests to Chaulty. Steve was a good friend during my stay and I hope by the time I return, hs catamaran is up and running.

He would be delighted if you could pack the odd bottle of Branston Pickle, box of PG Tips or tin of corned beef.

Chaulty is a treasure, a hidden oasis. Enjoy your stay there - I did!

Room Tip: The two upper rooms provide the best privacy
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Udon Thani
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

I am fan of this place now and can't wait to return. But my first impression pulling into the hotel had me skeptical if maybe booking here was a mistake. We came with a car only to discover the place did not having a parking lot. This turned out to be no issue as there was land across the road that from the second day on was vacant. For the first day we parked road side and the owner even moved our car for us when a laundry truck needed to get by. Adding to that initial skepticism was when I stepped into the place I didn't see any lobby. I called the number on our Agoda booking and the owner Steve answered and said oh okay he'll look over the balcony and there he was above us. Most everything turned positive from there.

Steve went to our car to help with our bags. He informed us he generally gives guest rides to hotels, but we have a car. If we need directions, or want to drink and need a ride just ask. He was extremely friendly and this was the case throughout the stay. As he seen us in passing each time he offered directions or ideas on things to do.

As for the room we booked a family room and was completely fine. It was not luxury by any means but the main bed was average to above average and it also had a bunk bed. One small negative, but keep in mind we came 2 days after Songkran which is the hottest time of the year, is that the Air Conditioner didn't reach the top bunk. Heat rises and even on coldest setting it was hot on the top. Staff however once mentioned quickly provided us with a plug-in fan which solved that issue.

The room had a nice sized balcony. The WIFI worked perfect throughout our 3-night stay (not a single issue and short outages are common all over Thailand). The swimming pool I loved. There are not many rooms at this place. Quite often my family was the only ones in it but even when other guests were using it there was plenty of space

The location wouldn't be the best without transport. However we had transport and all throughout our stay we seen Steve driving guest around. We were there as a family and live in Thailand so were pretty much doing our own thing but couldn't help but notice how it seemed all the guest there were treated by the owner like they were his own family.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Such a great stay at Chaulty Towers, we didn't want to leave. My boyfriend and I have been travelling 3 months and this has been the best place that we've stayed at so far. Steve made us feel very welcome, he's very friendly and drives you down to the beach, nothing is too much for him at all, I wanted 'strawberry jam' on toast and he went down the road to get a jar - Thanks again Steve :) We will definitely come back to this place. Breakfast was brilliant. Rooms we're very clean, fan and aircon, fridge, TV, safe! Friendly dog called Rambo too.

Room Tip: Deluxe room!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Squamish, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

The pictures and all the positive comments are all real.
The breakfast is a MUST if staying here.
Having the pool just inches from your room was fantastic.
The lady who does the cleaning of the rooms must be watching a CCTV because the moment you leave the property she is in your room changing the sheets and cleaning.
The lady across the street does a great job of cleaning and folding laundry. There is a lovely small store a block towards town with all the basics one could want.
Steve is really good about driving you through town when you arrive to get oriented.
Having 3 ATMs and the TESCO just a few blocks away made life easy.
Steve has scooters to rent at a great price and they are all in excellent condition.
Best of all is being in a quiet neighbourhood, yet just minutes (by scooter) to the excitement of Lamai.

Room Tip: We were very happy with the cheapest room (bottom floor of the building in the picture). The room wa...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Chaulty Towers? Share your experiences!