“Good location but bad service and cockroaches galore!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of New Hut Bungalows

Save Saved
You added New Hut Bungalows to your Saves list
New Hut Bungalows
Moo 4, Tambon Maret | Lamai Beach, Lamai Beach, Maret, Ko Samui 84310, Thailand   |
London, United Kingdom
“Good location but bad service and cockroaches galore!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

New Hut Bungalows is a really pretty little resort. Lamai Beach is beautiful and the location is great.

However, the other reviews are accurate in saying that the staff are unfriendly. They're not outright rude but they just seem like they can't be bothered with you and you end up feeling like a bit of a burden on their time. The problem was easily solved by avoiding them at every opportunity by eating elsewhere etc.

It has to be said that the rooms are average inside. The beds are comfy but the fans are so loud that I would advise taking earplugs.

The rooms are ridden with bugs... huge flying cockroaches and massive spiders! We've been travelling through SE Asia for 2 months now and never seen anything like it.

The WiFi also leaves a lot to be desired and is only available in the restaurant.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

99 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

THE "VERY GOOD" given above is for the location and the huts not for the owner!!!!!
These are gorgeous little huts on a gorgeous peaceful beach!!
They are very simple just a mattress and a fan and cleaning things on your tiny veranda and on the beach.
The shower and toilets facilities are kept clean and are rather nice.
The restaurants serves your normal Thai food at ok price and they do the best coconut shakes...promise...
But, the owner can be very very LOUD and rather scary....
We witnessed her shouting at a man who was playing with his 2 dogs ( lovely German Shepard) just enjoying swimming and rolling around on the sand. Well this lady came out shouting " GET OUT OF MY BEACH" to the guy ( American) and his dogs we all nearly run off too....she was screaming at him....really this went on for a good 10 mins...terrible behaviour.
I fully understand her wanting to keep the beach nice and clean and tidy for the guests staying in the bungalows....for that she was doing a great job, but dear lady, there is a way to go about things....a gentle chat,simple manners does not kill...
Nobody deserves to be shouted at for no apparent reason or if so, a kind approach is much better....your huts/ bungalows are nice and serve their purpose and at a good price, but please do not scare people off....
See my dear lady, despite this I did send my daughter to your place and what do you do, you shouted at her.....she only wanted to know if you had any room....come on....my experience and my husband s was not nice and if you can't deal with people ( people skills) then keep an eye on your place from afar...or learn to be...we all have to at some point.

Anyway, people go stay there but avoid that lady.....shame because the concept is great..... Chill lady chill we all want to shout,scream but we refrain from more often than you think
Enjoy.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

The idea is nice, the bungalows look amazing from the outside, okay on the inside. Staff is rude and unfriendly. The people running this place want to make you pay for every bit of anything you use, even air conditioning is not free. I stayed 1 night and would not stay more. Plus location of the bungalows are next yo a sewer on the beach so expect to be attacked by mosquitos.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

My girlfriend went for 5 weeks backpacking trip and i couldnt join with her so i wanted to make a little surprise for her when she arrived to NHB. Staff were very helpful for arranging flowers etc to her room and everything went just like in movies although i was arranging it from the other side of the world. I can definitely recommend NHB for all the guys and girls out there, who cant join their loved ones for a trip, but want to arrange some nice surprise to them.

Stayed December 2013
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I Was looking for somewhere to stay for a couple of nights and came across these very cute colourful bungalows on the beach. Shame the service didn't match the accommodation.

Asked the guy at reception if there was any accommodation available then was directed to what can only be described as the scariest rude women! She shouted at me over a rather packed restaurant "WHAT DO I WANT"? urmmm was just enquiring if you have any bungalows available, she then proceeded to shout and ask what I wanted and asked me if I had trouble understanding her when she replied with a few offers of beach huts available. No I didn't, I just couldn't quite believe how rude and intimidating someone could be when they have obviously set the business up aimed at travellers and this is treatment we get for asking if we can stay within their establishment!

So please avoid, if you feel like being made a fool of and embarrassed the by all means enjoy the New Hut Bungalows.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights with my girlfriend in November. Booked it online because we really liked the look of the place and the price was good. We did read a few bad reviews but decided to try it out anyway. We were not disappointed, the bungalow we had was right on the beach and I am guessing were either new or had recently been refurbished because they were in an excellent condition. Probably the best maintained place we had stayed in Thailand. Can agree with a few reviews that the staff weren't the friendliest, however this was probably more to do with the fact that they didn't speak much English, but then I don't speak any thai so can't really complain. Overall though I would definitely recommend to stay here. Especially if you can ask for a bungalow right on the beach.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

We have been backpacking around Thailand and stayed in some dives! When we arrived here and were shown to our front row, bright, colourful hut, right on the sea front, I was more than happy! Once inside our hut it was clean and had a decent bathroom too! I couldn't believe my eyes!

The owner was ever so helpful and really friendly. The other waiting staff were a little grumpy sometimes and didn't always smile, but sometimes I wondered if it was a lack of English and low confidence to speak to us due to the language barrier. I'm not sure.

There was an issue with Beer Houses dog annoying one male member of staff here who would swing at the dog with a hammer / bucket / anything nearby, and this did really make me feel scared and upset. I love animals!

Food is good, lots of choice, low prices. Try the fried rice with curry sauce and chicken. Very tasty!!

Location is right on the beach. Absolutely perfect. Had bad weather before we arrived so overnight debri would have been swept to shore. Staff cleaned this throughout the day.

Overall though, great stay here.

• Stayed November 2013

Been to New Hut Bungalows? Share your experiences!