“The best place for a honeymoon!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Montra Hotel

You added Montra Hotel to your Saves list
Montra Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   142/33-42 Moo 4 | Maret, Lamai Beach, Maret, Ko Samui 84312, Thailand   |
Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Lamai Beach
5.0 of 5 stars 321 Reviews
London, United Kingdom
“The best place for a honeymoon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

After reading extensively about the Montra Hotel from this very website, my wife and I decided to book it for our honeymoon. We were not disappointed at all. Considering the price of each villa, which was significantly cheaper than the other alternatives we had contemplated in Bohput, we nevertheless found ourselves in the lap of luxury.

Yes, the Villa is not by the beachfront and there is no private pool, but you do get exceptional and attentive service and all the other trappings of luxury nonetheless. Sue, Nom and the team at the Montra were amazing and they went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable, accommodating our requests as best as they could.

Just some examples:

- we had indicated that we were on our honeymoon, and upon arrival, there were rose petals laid out in the shape of a heart on our bed;
- we had to leave the hotel very early on some mornings as we were going diving, and we had asked the hotel whether they would be willing to prepare a hot breakfast for us even though it was very much earlier, and they did it for us; and
- we arrived into Koh Samui very late on the first night, but they kept the kitchen open at our request so that we were able to order dinner without having to go out into the town.

As mentioned earlier, the Hotel is not by the beachfront. However, the beach is only a 10-15 minute stroll away. In any event, most of the beachfront hotels in Bohput had visible signs of damage from the floods earlier this year. The Montra, in contrast, was completely untouched.

To make up for the lack of a private pool, there is a very interesting pool that runs along the length of the Hotel as well. Given that there are only a couple of villas in all, this might as well be your own private pool!

If you're the sort of person who shuns big, generic resorts in favour of small, boutique and personal hotels - the Montra is definitely for you!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Cromwell, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

A fantastic little hotel if you want a quiet relaxing holiday. There are only nine separate villas so you get a very personal experience. Breakfasts are great with a menu to suit most people. The hotel is within walking distance of the main road in Lamai where there are plenty of shops and the Tesco Lotus Supermarket is close by too. Each villa is spacious and clean with a good amount of privacy. The pool wraps around the complex so each villa has easy access plus use of poolside loungers. Food and drinks can be ordered by the pool. There is free wi-fi throughout and a laptop can be borrowed from reception as well.

We arranged a scooter from reception which was an easy, convenient option. If getting a scooter for two, make sure you get a scooter around 250cc as some of the roads are quite steep. We checked all the beaches around the island and thought Lamai was the best for swimming as it wasn’t rocky, was nice and deep with no waves to speak of, had nice sand and wasn’t tidal.

The Montra was certainly a nice place to come back to each day after the hustle and bustle of the town area. Nong, Su and the other staff, including the gardener, were all very friendly and helpful during our stay and we thoroughly enjoyed our week there. We would have no hesitation in recommending The Montra to other travellers.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

This was a family holiday, we wanted a smaller, quieter hotel with attentive, friendly staff; this is certainly what we got. The service we all experienced was excellent. The room was clean and spacious, it comfortably accomodated the four of us. We wanted a quiet hotel and this hotel was perfectly located away from the hustle and the bustle of the town and beach. However, the kids and I managed to walk to shops & beach first night, it was an easy and pleasurable walk; perhaps 2km, although the hotel offered to take us (or anywhere else for that matter). The second day we were able to hire scooters directly from the hotel reception and explored the island. Food at the hotel was fantastic, their prices were competative it was hard to step out and experience the food from the locals as we were so happy with the hotel chef! Thanks Montra for a super hotel, certainly one to remember!!

Room Tip: Only 8 rooms to choose from I think! A couple of the of the rooms steps down directly onto the pool...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

This small independent hotel is amazing! The staff are so lovely and will go out of their way to make you feel at home. The breakfast is great and is made to order. The scenery is beautiful and very Thai with a modern twist. Rooms were very clean and cleaned daily. The rooms were a good size and well set out. The pool area is very relaxing and well structured, creates a very relaxing environment. You can't fault this place, the people are just so nice and the massages at the hotel are great. Great value for money even though a little far out from the main street, it was still accessible as we hired a motorcycle/scooter. It was good to be a little far out as it was more peaceful, however laundry, pharmacy and gas station still close by. Only ate breakfast and lunch here, spring rolls were nice and so were the satay sticks, very attentive staff! Free wi-fi which is a bonus.
Recommend this place to those who want a peaceful environment, great for couples!
We will definitely come back!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

My wife and I recently spent 8 incredible nights at Montra and agree with the vast majority of the reviews below - it was fantastic!

All of the staff - but especially Su and Nong, whom we had most contact with - were so helpful, pleasant and eager to please. We really felt spoiled and became so comfortable with the place that it was hard to leave.

The tropical garden that the 9 villas are in is stunning, and the pool meanders its way around the complex. It's hard to describe, but works really well and allows all of the Villas their own sense of space and privacy.

We stayed in a standard Villa which was lovely, although one of the air conditioners had seen better days. Still, we were really comfortable and slept well the whole stay so it didn't have a negative impact. The decor was stylish and the bathrooms are funky!

The free Wifi was also brilliant, and there are books and DVDs to borrow if you feel the need.

Breakfast is complimentary and the chef will basically cook you whatever you like from the menu, from scratch. It was a real privilege and I believe better than the more common buffet offered at other resorts. The restaurant ('Hue') is simply underused and maybe undervalued by many of the guests, because Koh Samui offers so many great dining experiences. We ate a couple of lunches and dinners at Hue, and I can honestly say that one of the dinners - where we asked the chef to really cook it Thai style - was the best Thai meal we ate on the island. Do it.

As for criticisms... well, I don't really have any. But you need to 'want' this type of experience. If you want to be able to walk out of your room and straight onto the beach, stay somewhere else! If you want a buzzy environment, stay somewhere else! The whole point of Montra (I think) is that it is relaxed, quiet, secluded and very deliberately detached from the hustle of Lamai town (and therefore the beach). You really need to hire a car or much more preferably, a scooter, to get around and see the island or even to head in to Lamai. We walked it a couple of times and actually enjoyed it, but having the scooter was a dream. And of course, you can get a taxi or when available make use of Montra's shuttle service for a small fee. And further, if you were traveling by yourself it may seem just that little bit too isolated, which is what I suspect influenced the surprisingly negative review below this one.

All in all, we loved it - it suited our needs perfectly, the staff were wonderful and the price was right.

We'd go back tomorrow!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

I booked my last 3 nights in Samui at Montra Hotel, because I had read so many five-star-reviews in here and I wanted to end my vacation in heaven being spoiled and having the treat. So I was slightly surprised that this was it - the hotel that I had read so many praising reviews of. Things must have changed (?), because my impression is far from fx.: “The way everybody working there seem to have one goal in mind, and that was to give us the best holiday ever” and all the other great reviews people have written about the place in here.
TRANSPORTATION
I was picked up by a non-smiling and non-communicating driver who brought me to the hotel in a car belonging to the hotel (about a 10 minutes drive). For this they charged me 400 THB. The driver didn’t say a word the whole drive. Compared to the smiling and extremely friendly people I stayed with at Tara Hotel in Chaweng Noi, this was another planet.
ARRIVAL
At the hotel I was greeted by Nong who speaks limited English (that goes for nearly all the staff that I met). Nong took me to a very modest air-conditioned office where a cold glass of apple juice and a cold cloth – as common in Thailand – awaited me. I filled out a lot of information on two pieces of papers, all though I had already given most of the information when I booked. (Well, not a first time experience in Thailand …).
CREDIT CARD PAYMENT
Nong asked me if I wanted to pay in advance. I paid with a credit card so they charged me an extra 3%.
SERVICE ON ARRIVAL
When I arrived my room was not ready. I knew this in advance and I had informed the hotel that it was OK that I just stayed at the pool until the room was cleared. What really surprised me, though, was, that I was just left there on my own. Nobody showed me to the pool, nobody asked to show me around the resort and nobody asked me if I needed anything from the bar. Nong gave me a towel and that was it. Nobody asked me if I needed anything, so I had to walk back to the restaurant and order a drink. Now the non-smiling and non-communicating waitress at least knew that I was there, but still she didn’t come out to ask me if I needed anything. So ... again I had to walk the way back to the restaurant and order another drink. Later I went to Nong’s office to pick up my laptop. As I picked it up, she didn’t even bother to ask me if I might need the code for the WiFi. So after having found out that I needed one, I had to walk my way back to her to get it and back again. I told her that I was not too pleased about the whole thing and finally something happened. A waitress (Sue - not sure about the spelling) came to the pool and asked me if I wanted anything to eat (it was lunch time) and she also brought me a new drink. Shortly after lunch, my villa was ready.
SERVICE IN GENERAL
Sue is a big asset to this place. She could be more smiling, but she is very serious about her work, very hard working and very service minded and almost humble. But aside from her, I got the impression that the hotel has a lack of service. It seemed like there was not enough staff, and the staff that was there, was a bit lazy. Especially a new guy in the restaurant (never got his name but he's a little chubby) who had only been there a week, when I arrived, could need a service course. Even though I gave him a 100 THB tips the night before, he was simply lazy and forgot half of my orders in the morning. He told me that he had been partying all night, and well ... I don't mind partying, but if it affects your work like that, it's not OK.
The hotel has a transport service which is really great and needed, as the resort is 800 meters from the main road and quite far from the beach, but the problem is that nobody is really informing you of this service. But the second day Noi did actually come to my terrace to ask me if I wanted to go somewhere. I went to Silver Beach and the driver picked me up 3 1 /2 hours later. Very nice service! Also you can have all your meals brought to you if you want. Also very nice service.
THE SETTING
The tropical garden is nice with tropical birds, rocks, palm trees and flowers. But the place could use a bit more maintenance as there are overgrown pathways and branches lying around here and there.
THE POOL
The pool goes almost all the way around the villas like a little river which is nice. The resort is surrounded by walls so there's no view of the mountainside outside.
THE VILLAS
The villas are very nice. At a closer look they could use some care taking, though. They have a living room, a huge bedroom with a big, but a little to hard bed but nice pillows and down duvet. Mine was a De Luxe Villa. I think there are two of them at the resort. From these two you have direct access to the pool. There is no other difference than this. he bathroom has a huge top and a huge shower section and you can light candles and scent oil while you’re enjoying your time out there. It has large windows and you can watch the geckos climbing them while you’re in the top in the evenings.
THE VILLA TERRACES
The terraces aren’t exactly private. Mine was facing the pool which - while I was there - meant, that two young American couples was sharing their lives with me which meant that they were using the pool right outside my terrace for swimming and the terrace by the pool for sun bathing. They had very loud Skype-conversations with their parents back in states every morning and they were pretty loud in the evenings as well. They showed no consideration at all.
MAINTENANCE
Compared to fx Viva Resort in Lipa Noi - where I stayed the first 5 nights of my vacation on Samui - this was far from perfect. The terrace was filled with leaves and so was the pool. The parasol was not up, and both that and the very heavy sun bed had seen better days. I struggled to get it up for some time and still nobody came to help me. I gave up and asked the gardener for help later.
THE PRICING
I paid 4.100 THB a night for the villa. The ones without direct access to the pool are 3.500 THB a night. (Low season rates). (But really, the standard villas are only a few steps away from the pool anyway, so there’s no need to pay 600 THB a night for this). I paid 2.335,86 DKR for 3 nights at Montra and honestly I think it's quite overpriced.
ELECTRICITY
Shortly after I checked in, electricity disappeared - but came back 15 min. later.
NO PHONES IN THE ROOM
There are no phones in the room, so you cannot call the reception if you have a problem or want something, you have to walk to the restaurant or the reception.
WIFI
There’s free WiFi but be prepared that the connection comes and goes.
MINIBAR
The minibar is very well assorted and the prices are acceptable – the same as in the bar / restaurant.
FOOD
The breakfast is good. You can choose American, English, Continental or Thai. And the rest of the menu is OK with a nice selection of snacks, steaks and fish / sea food.
HOUSEKEEPING
The housekeeping could be better. My sheets wasn't changed the 3 nights I was there and it seemed to me that the maid couldn't finish fast enough. They didn't clean my terrace the first day all thought it was actually quite needed and when I, the second day, asked the maid to do it, she didn't seem too eager.

Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

We thought the Montra would be nice but it was even better than that! For a start everyone was super friendly, the room, pool etc was beautiful. Another delight was the food at Hue their restaurant with no customers! As they have only 9 villas and Koh Samui is a foodies paradise not many people eat at "Hue." We went to "Koh Samuis best Thai food" restaurant and it wasn't even a close second to Hue. The Chef (forgot his name) just waits for the order and cooks everything fresh from fresh ingredients. (We took the cooking class, another story). The Montra is not near the beach but in this case, who cares. Cheers, Charlie, Australia

Room Tip: #8 was nice--walk straight out to the pool, quiet.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Been to Montra Hotel? Share your experiences!