“Catch of the day” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Stockport, England
“Catch of the day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

First visit to Playa de Santigo and chose Junonia by chance. Very friendly staff, good table outside but out of the sun, harbour view. Nice fish soup to start followed by the fish of the day. Not sure what it was but it was excellent and good value.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

91% Recommend
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Excellent - don't miss it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

My wife, 6 year old daughter and I were staying near Playa Da Santiago. We'd tried a couple of places on the sea front. After one of these we booked into Junonia (which specialises in fish, but does serve other options) for the next day.

WOW.

Friendly staff, they spoke reasonable English and were very welcoming and chatty.
I had one of their signature fish dishes, with my wife having the fish of the day. They made a point of offering my daughter a good variety of options for her (she's not that keen on spicy things) and we opted for Meatballs.

WOW again

I can honestly say my fillet was the best meal I've had in decades (and that includes some fancy restaurants over the years) - very rich sauce, beautifully cooked fish which melted in the mouth with an explosion of flavours. My wife's was just as nice too! My daughter did a reasonable job on her meatballs (I tried one to see and it was lovely - again a melt in the mouth, full of flavour dish)

A wonderful house white wine (much less acidic than some we tried on Gomera and a great Tiramisu to finish it all off

We were all so impressed we immediately booked for our last night (a couple of days later) so we could enjoy it all again. (Just by chance when we did return another family was visiting and they ALSO booked their last night meal at the restaurant!)

When we came back 2 days later, as is the way with restaurants who take their fish daily and locally (the port is literally a stone's throw away), you can never be sure what will be available - and on that day they'd almost run out of fish....

While we were disappointed initially my Fillet of Tuna was superb, melt in the mouth, succulent and with a lovely garlic based dressing. My wife's chicken was equally wonderful and my daughter almost managed to complete her breade chicken.

It's not super cheap - but it's not very expensive - about 45 Euro or so and much better (and cheaper than the on-site restaurant where we were staying)

If you're on Gomera and near Playa Santiago - get down to the sea front and get yourself into Junonia - you, and your taste buds will be very glad you did!

• Visited August 2012
berlin
“too good for this place!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

it was my first time on gomera.we went after four days in valle rey to playa de santigo,and we find this restaurant at the first day.it was something especial,becouse food was just amazing and service very friendly!!!
best restaurant on gomera.

• Visited March 2012
East Yorkshire
“Excellent food and good fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

This was our second visit in our fortnight's holiday, and we enjoyed both visits. On the first occasion we were shown the fish catch of the day, mackerel, tuna and marlin, the latter two excellent. G&T looked a bit like a Pimms and was delicious.
Our second visit could have been a mess but was turned into a triumph by good humour. No tuna that night, I chose fillet steak but my friend got the last one, then swordfish, but his wife had the last of that! Then our request for a second bottle of Rioja resulted in fresh glasses as we had had the last of that! But the glasses were accompanied by an excellent alternative, on the house, they redeemed their shortcomings, and the food was an excellent standard. The chocolate panacotta went down very well. A memorable night.

• Visited March 2012
Dublin, Ireland
“Enjoyable Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

very efficient with good menu with quality food including seafood.

Visited February 2012