“More than just great food” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Eclectic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Stanford, South Africa
“More than just great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Don't let the unimposing entrance lead you to believe that this is some run of the mill roadside cafe - there is incredible magic behind the humble facade. On a good day you are seated on a veranda with an endless view of green farmlands and rolling mountains. Innes will greet you like a long lost friend, regale you with some humorous tale or other, while describing in some detail the day's fare.

The short menu is dictated by seasonal availability and also includes a few firm favourites. You won't find any frozen microwave meals here! Brydon the chef has turned his combinations of flavours into an art-form.

The short wine list consists mostly of local wines with some choice from further afield, and all very well-priced.

On our last visit three of us made different choices. Starters were bursting with flavours, Each was amazingly different. Passing around tasting samples we were hard pressed to decide which was the most delicious - my chilled cucumber soup was a burst of flavor with frozen grapes as a surprise element. The main courses were just as impressive, my husband's sirloin was tender and tasty served with the best pepper sauce he has ever had (and he has had a few).

For me the main course portion was a little too generous, but I still found space for desert. Brydon's home made ice cream is legendary and can't be missed.

The bill for three people, including two bottles of wine and tip for the kitchen came to less thnan R300 a head.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“The heavenly secret”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

As a foodie, this has to be one of the best restaurants that I frequent. It is really a theatre of awesome food and entertainment. I have travelled from Cape Town three times in the last two months just to be totally blown away.

Johannesburg, South Africa
“A place we always go back to”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I visit Stanford a few times a year and go to Havercrofts not once, but always twice during my stay. That's the kind of place it is. More-ish. There are always old friends on the menu - like the heavenly devillish kidneys (worth going to hell for) - and then always something new to surprise and delight. The food, cooked by chef Bryden is fantastic. The view is breath-taking and my family and our dog Zwiggy are always made to feel specially welcome by Innes, Bryden's other half and partner. Havercrofts is everything a restaurant should be And more.

• Visited December 2012
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“A home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

From the minute we made our reservation we began to anticipate, nay salivate over, our favourite Havercroft dishes. My husband had decided a month before that he was having deviled kidneys, and Sunday roast. He also began telling everyone we met about our upcoming weekend in the Overberg and what he would be eating at Havercroft’s. I had decided that this was the visit I would skip starters so I could, for once, have space for Brydon’s homemade ice-cream. On reviewing the menu—after a warm welcome from Innes—we found it hard to stick to our plan. You see, it was impossible not to eavesdrop on those more regular diners as they detailed the full taste and texture sensation of each dish on the menu to their own guests. Each table told tales of how amazing the soufflé was, whilst others spoke of the deviled kidneys, flourless chocolate cake, Yorkshire puddings, pork crackling, and more. It was clear that no matter what we ordered we would not be disappointed. And it’s true! My plan failed as I decided on a light three course meal, chilled tomato and red pepper soup—better than any I have had whilst in the Mediterranean—followed by an amazingly summery homemade Paneer curry, and then three scoops of that much anticipated ice cream. My husband stuck with his plan of kidneys followed by the roast beef Sunday lunch. He declined dessert stating his fullness, but on tasting my ice cream he lunged for the bowl and guzzled up most of it before I had realized what had happened! Having visited Havercroft’s a number of times now I can confidently state that you will never be disappointed, the food is always of a consistently high standard and the service delightfully entertaining.

Cape Town
“Ambience, Atmosphere Awesome - A Must”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We booked this unbelievable little restuarant for my Parents 50th Wedding Anniversary and it proved to be the best call of the day.
The small, cosy and intimate atmosphere fueled by our hostess had us chatting and laughing as well as wine tasting with our neighbouring table.
Everything on the menu sounded good and looked even better as it was placed on the table. This little Gem is a recipe for success and I look forward to returning with friends who enjoy fine food and wine.