“Absolutely fantastic!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Sydney, Australia
“Absolutely fantastic!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

This experience was the most amazing month of my life. I met some really great people who had a similar passion for conservation and wildlife, I did things I would of only dreamt of. I learnt so much from Leizel, Hein and Kim. I can't wait to go back. They go out of their way to make your trip extra special. Thank you! See you soon.

Visited February 2014

Dalton-in-Furness, United Kingdom
“AMAZING!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

I visited umkhondo in April 2010 but can still remember it like it was yesterday. I went with a group of friends but would definitely recommend this for a single traveller as well. You are made to feel safe and like part of the family from the get go. We worked during the week, doing anything that needed doing. From feeding the elephants in the morning to helping to build a new platform in the crocodile enclosure, every day was different. When went out on game drives to count the animals, learned how to track animals, we did a rifle and darting course and even a trip into the bush on a survival camping trip. I had an amazing time, I just wish I could go back and do it all again!!! Anyone looking for a working wildlife trip in Africa needs to go here!!

Visited March 2014
“Most amazing month of my life”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Umkhondo was the most amazing thing I've done in my short life. I learnt so much and everyone was always more than willing to help me eith whatever I needed. We were welcomed from the get go and it felt like a home away from home. Now its just time to save up for the return trip!

Visited December 2013
Brisbane, Australia
“The Trip of a Lifetime!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Before embarking on the Umkhondo Big Five Project I considered myself a seasoned traveller, having visited 5 of the world's continents on various trips, however it was this trip which took the cake for my best travel experience to date! I saw this project as an opportunity to experience African Wildlife at a level most tourists would never dream of and I was not disappointed! From the very first day at the Game Lodge I was involved in darting and relocating cheetahs and from then on I was involved in feeding and tracking cheetahs, feeding baby caracals, cleaning the reptile park, game counts, general maintenance work and even x-raying a lioness! The program runs monday to friday and on the weekends you are free to travel as you please. The Staff are all super helpful when it comes to organising these trips. As a solo female traveller, I was hesitant before heading to South Africa having heard many horror stories about the lack of safety in the area but at no stage in my trip did I feel remotely in danger. I would recommend this volunteer project to anyone and everyone! Definately the trip of a lifetime!

Visited November 2013
Chester, England, United Kingdom
“In a word... Fantastic!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I had a fantastic experience!! I was with the Umkhondo Big 5 for a month and was very sad to leave when it finished. Met some wonderful people, learnt lots of new skills and enjoyed the variety of African wildlife I worked with. The accommodation is great and the first-hand experience you get with the animals is astonishing. You are involved in everything and supported by a fantastic staff. You feel 100% safe and everyone is very welcoming. Every day is different and exciting for the volunteers; you can’t wait to see what you’re going to experience next. I have taken away some fantastic memories I will never forget.

Visited May 2013