We fell in love with Crete and the Grand Bay Beach resort many years ago in the days when the lovely Eleni was on reception (she is now reservations executive, a job at which she excels) and we have been returning ever since, our last stay was in June. They have always made us feel very special here and we are now enjoying the many benefits of joining the Hotel's loyalty club as returning guests. It is an ideal destination if you are looking for peace and relaxation, good for young/ older couples or anyone seeking quiet memorable holidays together. We always feel at home when we return here and because the Hotel is small (70 rooms) it allows you to get to know the Hotels most excellent staff very well, they are all incredibly helpful, kind and hardworking. The Hotel itself is a modern, well maintained and cleverly designed building which is located around the corner from a quiet little fishing village in Kolymbari. The village has a couple of gift shops and some very nice beach and harbour front tavernas and restaurants. I notice in other reviews that no one has mentioned that this is a disabled friendly Hotel, our daughter has special needs and is a wheelchair user, accessibility in all areas of the hotel for people with limited mobility is very good. There is a room available that is modified and equipped to accommodate disabled guests. We have never booked this room because the rooms we use are adequate for our needs. We always book a junior suite on the ground floor with direct pool access, perfect for our daughter. It is worth paying extra for these rooms. They have their own patio leading to poolside with two sun-loungers, parasol and amazing sea views (our own little paradise!). The room is spacious and always kept spotlessly clean and refreshed every day by Maria ( a credit to the housekeeping team). We always request and receive extra pillows and find the beds quite comfortable although there is the option to swap for a softer mattress if needed. The food in the Hotel is plentiful, a good mix of Greek and International cuisine, buffet style. My husband always looks forward to his cooked breakfast of bacon and eggs! whilst my daughter and I prefer the continental provided. There is a never ending supply of coffee top ups during breakfast but tea is self service. Never one to let the British side down, I always take my own travel kettle with me and PG tips so I can enjoy my first cup of tea in the morning in my room!. We can also recommend the a la carte dining experience, we had a fantastic candle lit evening overlooking the Aegean Sea during our last stay and the service was exceptional (thank you to Georgios). In all the years we have stayed at this Hotel we have only ever had one problem concerning our room, this was resolved immediately. Any problems reported to reception are speedily dealt with.
Most of our day here is spent relaxing by the pool. My husband enjoys fishing in a quiet spot near the monastery and also enjoys swapping stories and fishing tips with Antonis on reception who it deserves to be mentioned, is exceptional in his customer care. We also like to hire a car to visit friends and take trips out up into the mountains and enjoy and explore the beautiful breathtaking scenery and beaches that western Crete has to offer. There is also the option of taking the bus (which stops outside hotel) reception staff Antonis, Amalia and Alex always happy and willing to help and advise on bus timetables and are very knowledgeable about the area and recommending things to do and places to see. It is also worth mentioning that there is a 'little train' that runs excursions up into the mountains and villages which we think is well worth considering as it gives you a little taste of the Cretan life and countryside. Evenings in the Hotel are quiet (perfect for us) with a couple of nights where the Hotel organises entertainment, a Greek night with dancing on Thursdays and Tuesdays you can sit and listen or dance to a singing duo, both nights very enjoyable and Christos on the bar will always look after you very well. If you prefer something livelier then you are only a short bus or taxi ride to the nightlife in places like Platanias and Chania. I really would like to take this opportunity on behalf of my family to say a big thank you to all at the Grand Bay, to Mr Spyros Krasadakis, Eleni, Antonis, Georgios, Amalia, Christos, Sarantos, Nikki, Johanna, Alex, Rafael and Maria (hope you all read this) for looking after us so well, we appreciate everything you have done for us over the years. Giannoulis Hotels should feel very proud of you all. We hope that everyone will enjoy their stay as much as we do in this most well deserved 4 star Hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Like an island within an island, this is GRAND BAY BEACH RESORT. Understated design, attention to detail, instinctive hospitality, tasteful food and a personalised approach are only a few of the ingredients which make our small "island" a very special getaway, ideal for those who seek tranquillity and calmness, excellent cuisine, and upgraded spaces and services.GRAND BAY BEACH RESORT is located directly on the 3 km long beach of the scenic fishing village of Kolymbari, amongst scenery of unparalleled beauty, and near settlements that retain their traditional Cretan character, just 23 km west of the most picturesque town of Crete, Chania and about 35km away from its international airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Tingo, Otel, HotelsClick, Despegar.com, Odigeo, Agoda and Venere so you can book your Grand Bay Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Bay Beach Hotel Chania Town
- Grand Bay Beach Resort Crete/Kolymbari