It´s a rather small resort in the middle of nowhere, at least half an hour car ride from Chania (more than we expected), less to Platanias, so as a family with small kids, getting anywhere comfortably meant renting a car.
There is neither a whole lot happening at the resort, but if you´re just interested in relaxing at the resort and eating well, then this is the place.
We don´t have very extensive experience of all inclusive hotels yet we are very much into good food, and it sure was no disappointment there. The standard was VERY high, with just enough variousity, every meal, every day for 14 days. It was way better than expected of all inclusive. Only disappointment was the takeaway lunch box. Staff at the restaurants, and overall, were very friendly, never any issues with any of them. With small kids, we did not really get to try the bars/drinks though.
Kids club was not that special, small and oddly placed, not much toys and outside playground is really sad. There were not many kids at the resort anymore mid-August and it seemed to be running for half power. Minidisco in the evening was a hit for 3 year olds, although starting a bit late (9pm) considering the age group. Only English speaking staff at the kids club, despite many Scandinavian and French speaking families (according to the kids club staff). Makes me wonder what is their main group of customers... seemed to be about 50/50 families/couples in August at least. I would say that if this is a family resort, then other groups of travellers have nothing to fear, it still appears very quiet and relaxing.
We had nothing to note on the cleanliness of either room or pools. The beach is of rolling stones, deep and had rather big waves all the time, so nothing for the kids. Rather big and shallow main pool with a "poolbar island" and a small kids pool, thats it. Just enough sunbeds, although some of them a little weary. My biggest problem with the poolside was finding shadow with a 5 months old baby, as there are few trees and parasols are small and fixed, but obviously no problem for tanners. We had a family room with own pool (or shared with neighbouring room) at the ground level. The room was spacious and with sliding doors towards pool part of the room, which was smart. The baby could be sleeping in the inner room, closing the sliding doors and opening terrace doors towards the pool where older siblings were playing. The pool side had late sun, but the view was over sunburned fields/wasteland and a building site.
Overall, we had a good relaxing time here and ate VERY well, no serious complaints on anything. Nevertheless, I doubt we´ll be back because of the location and kids club.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cavo Spada Luxury Resort & Spa is located 18kms west of the picturesque city of Chania. Its location combines in a unique way the beauty and tranquility of the Cretan Archipelagos with the unsurpassed charm of the famous Old Venetian town which is only a short drive away. Positioned on the west side of the Gulf of Chania, the hotel is built on a long stretch of beach, offering magnificent view of the Gulf of Chania and of Cape Spada. The latter is a spectacular rocky cape after which our hotel was named. The hotel is spread over a 65,000 m2 private property, hence offering ample space for all the guests to enjoy their holidays in one of the 150 rooms that the hotel has to offer. Being part of one of the oldest and most respected hotel companies of Chania, the Giannoulis Hotels & Resorts, Cavo Spada Luxury Resort & Spa is the epitome of our experience in providing holidays of unprecedented quality and comfort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Escapio, Expedia and Despegar.com so you can book your Cavo Spada Luxury Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cavo Spada Luxury Resort And Spa
- Cavo Spada Luxury Hotel Chania Town
- Cavo Spada Luxury Resort & Spa Crete/Kolymbari