“Definitely not 5 star!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Milatos
Kendal, United Kingdom
“Definitely not 5 star!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Stayed at Minos Imperial in October 2014. First impression on entering the reception area was "WOW" all marble and chandeliers. The site itself was very impressive but things went rapidly downhill. Our room was large but tired and dated and needed decorating as was the bathroom but again needed re-furbishing. there was a distinct lack of lighting in the bedroom with one ceiling light just inside the door, two bedside lights and a picture light over a very poor picture. Above the dressing table was a huge mirror with no light making it impossible to use.The food in the restaurant was very poor and certainly not 5 star standard. Our complimentary meals in the Laguna restaurant was no better with only two choices for starter and main courses and only one choice of sweet. Again the standard was very poor. We would have been tempted to go into Sissi some 8 to 9 kilometers away but this meant taking a taxi at 15 euros each way as there is no public transport and no street lighting. The only alternative was a walk along the cliff face; very nice in daylight but not to be recommended at night! The only "entertainment" was a music quiz on a couple of nights. Many of the staff gave the impression that we were a nuisance. I appreciate that the hotel was closing down for the winter 2 days after we left on 23 October but the last customer should be as important as the first. I could never recommend this hotel to any other travellers and it is certainly not suitable for anyone with walking difficulties as the paths are very steep.

Room Tip: Too many minus points to recommend a stay at this hotel
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

Overall the hotel was good. Great rooms,recommend the ones in Diamond class, jacuzzi was great. On the downside the food was OK but not much change over the course of our week. Entertainment was non existent which was disappointing for a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed October 2014
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Huge sigh, where to begin. Arrival, met by a very rude night porter who considered our arrival an inconvenience to say the least. Our origional room is classed as family suite, we had booked diamond class to avoid the disappointment of our previous visit and nor being able to drink in the piano bar however this did not make any difference really apart from eating breakfast in a side room, back to the room...which overlooked rubbish! mmm I dont think so! didnt unpack requested a room change the following morning which to start with was going to be a drama with the rude reception staff who definately needed to training or at least an explanation to understand that WE HAVE WORKED HARD TO AFFORD THIS HOLIDAY, OUR HARD EARNED CASH IS PAYING YOUR WAGES, WE WANT A CONFRONTATION FREE PERIOD BREAK FROM REALITY...ahh thats better, staff training is required. Room eventually changed...question how long do you need to pack to move...erm what part of I didnt unpack because I would like a room that reflects the money paid in a part of the hotel that that does not overlook rubbish do you not understand...I'm ready when you are...trying to hold it together.
down for lunch...question - how many different ways can you recycle spaghetti and get away with it? it became a standing joke even with the locals as we had to resort to eating in Sissi as the freezer month was so obvious, catering manager pep talk to staff - we are not buying anything this month - the visitors are stuck here and they will eat the recycled spaghetti wether they like it or not, if they dont like spaghetti put the morning salmon onto a pizza and disguise it in cheese. If I wanted a freezer month I could have stayed at home.
Waterslides were like an abandoned amusement ride with tumble weed growing out at an unruly pace, the steps were lethal was quite glad our little boy gashed his knee and did not want to go back there. The area was dirty and no effort was made to maintain the area to make it inviting, why have it there at all if your time limited to when you can use it (that goes for the childrens pool area as well.)
All inclusive, now thats a sketchy description, as long as you dont get more than one drink in the cocktail bar or if you dare to order two then prepare for the wrath of the barman who was the rudest most arrogant people hater I have ever met - he must be related to the owners because the amount of complaints and he was still there, asked him replace lemonades as the gas had run out and there was no fizz. WHAT IS THIS FIZZ YOU TALK ABOUT, I HAVE SERVED YOU DRINK, YOUR DRINK IS THERE, turned and walked away HELL NO NOT ON MY WATCH - I proceeded to be very clear about my role as a guest, his role as a barman, and explained very clearly that he was the rudest most arrogant man I had met and gave him one chance to replace the drinks...the bar was very quiet by this time...however when he scowled at me his chance expired...duty manager located very loud exchange given, drinks replaced barman spoken to...I did not go on holiday to loose my temper I could have stayed at home and done that!!
The entertainment team...I thank you for your stirling work right up to the last day...when the numbers are dwindling it becomes quite hard to entice guests to partake and you rose to the challenge, it provided us a s a couple to have a couple of hours at the 'adult only pool' (which was the only heated pool) which we appreciated.
The married couple who work there, your service was outstanding and your coffee on a morning was amazing.
If you are a future guest clarify what is included in your room package otherwise however much you have paid whatever class you are you will be charged, extra charge for internet, extra charge for coffee capsules, extra charge for jacuzzi, extra charge if you want certain drinks and a word if you plan on having a drink past 11.00 then think again!! Not so all inclusive as we origionally thought.
The beech area was a bit unkept just little things, overturned old brolley stand just left, abandoned, that didnt fall into the luxurious setting the brochure gives out.
The holiday that was in my shopping trolley just prior to leaving is no longer there, I had every intention of booking again but that was obviously based on my first experience where the staff morale was high and we were treated as guests. After this experience definatively not. Which is a shame as the hotel could be an amazing. I like the location and it being remote, that was part of the reason we went back.
The hotel is obviously very proud of its award it won in 2008, the only thing with awards is that there is atendency to become complacent and ride on the back of the award which unfortunately seems to be the case. Maybe change the name to Minos Hotel.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My friend and I stayed there for a week, finishing yesterday. The hotel itself closes for the winter season on Saturday, and it was evident !! The location is fairly remote but within walking distance of Milatos and possibly Sissi - where there is a lot more activity! The hotel ambiance was good, the adult pool bar staff were helpful but some of the waiting and bar staff were, to say the least, 'end of season'.

I have to say that I have stayed in hotels all over the world and food-wise, this was one of the worst. Part of the problem was that nothing seemed to be labelled - quite a problem if you have food allergies. Having developed 'a bit of a tum', I lived on chips and pizza for 3 days - at least I knew what these were !!!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Do you ever have enough of buzzing and complaining about this place?They were there,Entertainment Team,trying to move you from your chairs and get you were we had light and sound so we can organisse something wich we did.Is lame to see people are giving wrong informations.I remember your group but will all my respect,they alsways tried and tried and tried.There were people having fun up there and spending great time is shame you were not between them and I feel sorry that you choosed to have your own entertainment next to some glasses full of alcoohol instead of walking 5 mins and join them as we did.There are posters in 3-4 places with our evening and daily programe and you know that!The only problem you had is that the Theatre did not had a bar to fulfill your tastes.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

1 star if that cold food rude staff different catergory of all inclusive (laughable) unhygienic half of bars closed no internet unless u pay 30$ poor standards uncooked chicken and pork left out in sun waterpark one of the most dangerous places cracked floor tiles metal screws on slides loose and rusty bars all run down and rude slow and aggresive bar staff in evening restaurants turning lights off when still queing and eating also lifts broken and restaurant 10 mins walk away uphill despite my partner being pregnant and for us asking us to move room

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Jersey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The poor reviews are I think due to peoples perception of its name - a 5 star Imperial Luxury Beach Spa Hotel - which raises ones expectations but in our opinion it is a large hotel with spa facilities comparably to a UK 3/4 rating.
We spent 2 weeks, all inclusive, at this hotel and really enjoyed our stay. Our room was well equipped with large twin beds, efficient air con, TV with cable channels, a small fridge stocked with bottles of water, which were replaced daily. Sheets and towels were changed daily. A room safe is also available but at an additional charge of 2 euros a day.
We thought the food was excellent with lots of choice but the restaurant did get very busy at peak times and guests sometimes did have to wait for a free table. We found all the staff pleasant, efficient and especially patient in serving some of the quite rude and demanding guests.
The pools were large and excellent although we tended to use the smaller quiet adults only pool with no music (or noisy children!). The small beach area is disappointing being predominantly stony apart from a narrow strip of sand. However there are plenty of sun loungers available on it and the adjacent patios.
The hotel is rather isolated but you can walk along the coast to the small village of Milatos with its small harbour in about 15 minutes or 45 minutes the other way to the larger Sissi with supermarkets and bars.
We did not use the spa facilities since we thought the treatments offered were expensive compared to the UK.
Overall we enjoyed our stay and would return but perhaps not in high season.

Room Tip: Take extra coat hangers
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Minos Imperial Luxury Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!