“Overall a really good hotel, doesn't deserve the slating it gets” 4 of 5 stars

Minos Imperial Luxury Beach Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Milatos, Crete 72400, Greece   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Milatos
Sawbridgeworth, United Kingdom
“Overall a really good hotel, doesn't deserve the slating it gets”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I always said I'd write a review for this place as I read so many bad reviews before I went in July/August and they were unjustified.
Firstly if you book this hotel expecting it to be like a Four Seasons, but you have only paid the standard All Inclusive rate, then you need to sit back and reflect on how much you want to spend on a holiday. This hotel for the majority of time we were there, was friendly, bar service was good, white wine and beer was fine, some of the spirits were a little different to premium but hey you're in Greece.
The food was good and most days there was enough variety, fantastic pizza place, cooked fresh. The pool restaurant really good, friendly and fun. The loveliest place to sit was down near the Tropical bar with the large pool and decent sun beds. We had 2 kids 4 and 5 and both loved the pool.
The 2 bedroom room we had was spacious, bathroom really good.
The reception staff were mainly brilliant we had to see the doctor at the hotel and they were really helpful. But if you need anything, just ask them.
There was the odd waiter here and there that were sour faced, but most of the serving staff were polite and helpful - this is a large and busy hotel so it's going to manic at meal times.
I could go on and on, but overall for the price you pay, which may seem a lot to some families who bad mouth it, but's it's good value if you book in advance and get a good deal.
Most amazing 5* hotels AI will set you back £7k for a 10 day holiday in August, so at inbetween £3-4K, I think you need to put in perspective.
Finally, nightmare Russians, there are everywhere and rude, but it's not the hotels fault that they are all Russian.
Thanks Hotel Minos, we had a lovely holiday and really enjoyed ourselves, we were rested and speak highly to those who ask. And to the rest of the doubters, you have to go for yourself. But if you want somewhere which is perfect in every way, then get your credit card out and spend more money, it really is as simple as that! And perhaps the reason that you are coming here, is because you can't afford to go to those places which will tick every box known to man!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Jerusalem, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

We just returned from a week in Minos Imperial.
I can be second to all who said it is not a real 5 star resort. It is really not.
The place itself has a lot of potential, but the mgt team doesn't seems to make it like the perfect place for vacations.

Few things we experienced:

1. Reception
under staffed, and you will keep waiting around 10-20 min until being handled.
During our check-in , the receptionist saw that we waited long time, and behind me there were 2 more families, so she tried to check in all of us together. Nice thought, but poor execution. If you can't handle few things at the same time, better focus on doing it right one at a time ; or asked for more help in the reception when 5-6 families arrived...

2. Room
There are many types of rooms on the hotel , all divided between two level of accomodation. We actually receive a room from the better accomodation level, but it was smaller and didn't had a separate BR as I reserved originally + you couldnt get the WiFi network from his room. So we asked to get the room we reserved. We did got it eventually, but than we saw that both shower and bath had problems. One had water running extremely slow and in the other the shower door couldn't be closed which caused the water to get out and wet all the floor. It was late and we were all tired to go back to the reception and ask for a change ; calling them didn't help much as well. The message was basically, this is it and we cannot fix it.

The room overall looks ok, nothing special, but again - very far from being 5 star.
Mgt need a serious interior update to make it like that.

3. WiFi
It's not free, need to buy day pass or week pass for 30 Euro.
The network is not available in all te rooms ! The receptionist was decent enough to tell us that before I got the pass.
I could connect while being in the room, but the speed is extremely slow. During evening and nights, you barely can get connected. The best place to get a decent speed is at the lobby.

4. Food
Unlike what I read on the hotel website, there is only one restuarant available for meals ( for the premium level).
It takes a day or two to understand what you like, overall it is ok.
The good things are normally around the grill area , but again - a miss from the hotel. Why only one guy working when there are 10-12 guests waiting in the line? Why not have 2-3 guys working in parallel? There is enough space behind the counter.

In some cases food is running out and it was a shame to see that the kitchen staff are not bringing more although many guests were still presence.

If you want to try the special dinner ( meat BBQ, fish BBQ, Greek ) it is with extra charge, and seems that made with good quality and variety of food. We tried the fish BBQ and enjoy it very much. A nice break of the daily meals routine.

5. Location
Not close to the big noise of the hiraklion city, but I knew that and wanted a place which is isolated , and it really is.
You have Milatos, a small village which is 15 min walking distance or 4.40 min running (: , with some restaurants but not more .
The resort have a private beach which you can enjoy with water sports that the hotel offers ( extra pay of course ).

6. Pools
Many pools open to all; all clean , and you can find seats at most of the time ( and it was during peak season!)
This is actually one of the Great thing about this place . You couldn't feel to crowded althought it is a peak season and the hotel is full booked.

********

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Minos_Imperial_gr, Manager at Minos Imperial Luxury Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear guest,
First of all we would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our Minos Imperial Resort for your holidays and for taking the time to write your impressions about your stay as it is our best way to know where we can still improve in our daily services in order to deliver unforgettable vacation experiences to our guests.
We are sorry to hear that your stay has not been as enjoyable as you wished to be. We passed on your comments to the heads of the food and service departments in order to revise and improve, our goal being to offer great holidays to all our guests.
On the other hand we thank you for highlighting the cleanliness of our pools and the plenty of seats that are around of them.
We would like also to inform you that your travel agent has exclude the Wi-Fi from its description. It is included only the basic room type and the main restaurant.
Once again, we thank you for your comments that give us the opportunity to know how to improve and get back to the high quality standards of Minos Imperial.
Kindest Regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We just return from our holiday, we have booked the delux room, we got the best room in the hotel, room 801.
It is only for couple, not families. It is all brand new, one huge suite, living room, bedroom, shower, big bath, LCD TV with surround system. All internal walls from glass. If I just could attach the photos, it is amazing.
They should put the photo on their web site. We have been told that its the owner favoright room, their is only one in the resort.
The service is great, nice atmosphere, relaxing, lots of swimming pool all with sea water, and a very nice beach.
The resort is a short distance from SIS and Milatos. 30-40 min drive from Hraklion.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed in Minos Imperial in August 2013 with the family. In general, we were very disappointed from most of the hotel facilities.
Food: the dining room is not air conditioned! it is a nightmare having all your meals in August in a hot and humid hall! the food itself was boring, oily and always in a shortage. There are always not enough glasses to drink, not enough fruits in the deserts and there is a 15 mins waiting line for the pizza.
Pools: there are not enough benches near the pools, about 10% of what should actually be there, so many people find themselves sitting on the floor on a towel. Towels - lines of people waiting to get a beach towel.
Rooms: poorly maintained. Mouse traps under the kids beds... you can imagine the rest...
Bottom line - very disappointing, especially for the high rates of this hotel.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

As some reviewers have said this hotel does have its good points, they are just few and far between.
The hotel its self once upon a time must have been stunning. Now it is just a bit grubby. It seems to have just been let go. The staff for the most part are very nice. The only problem is there are 50% too few of them.
To be honest the fact the hotel must have been nice about 10 years ago is the only good point I can come up with.
I will try to keep the bad point to a minimum or I could be here all day.
1. By far the worst thing about this place is the dining room experience. As someone said prior, cattle call just about sums it up. They run out of just about everything including food if you don't get to any meal time early. The food could just about scrape in to the average category at a push. Actually scrub that it was crap. Then you have the joy of fighting for a table. Not enough staff to keep the food topped up and not enough staff to clean tables. I could go on and on.
2. Diamond class or no class. Diamond class what the hell is diamond class?. Trust me we have traveled A LOT and we are very very careful when we book anywhere. There was no mention when we booked this place that there was more than one option of all inclusive, if we would have known trust me we would have booked the legendary diamond. We actually asked to upgrade and was told it would be an extra 600 Eu. To me all inclusive means all inclusive. NOT the case. Standard all inclusive means you get food and some drinks. You have to pay extra for any other restaurant other than the main dining hall and drinks other than very standard ones are again extra. The bars open to the mere mortal standard all inclusive close at 23.00 without fail. They will actually turn the lights out while you are still finishing your drink. I can without doubt state than any good review on here was written by someone in diamond class or (and take this as you please) by someone who was not a guest there.
3. Location. To be fair it does say the hotel is remote. Remote as in you cannot get anywhere without a car. It is a ten minute drive to the main road. We hired a car for six days out of the ten we were there, without it we would have gone stir crazy.
4. Rooms. The rooms were basic but clean. The beds were the equivalent of sleeping on the floor (oh my back)
5. Entertainment. Simple there wasn't any. Ok there was. There was a guy singing and playing the guitar in the pool side bar once in the ten days we were there. He was actually pretty good. I am told there was a guy playing the piano in one of the other bars but we didn't see him as of course as standard all inclusive we were not allowed in there.
6. I'm sure that child places must be free in all travel agents in Russia. At times this place resembles Butlins on steroids. The children seem to outnumber the adults three to one. Now don't get me wrong we actually enjoy mixing with other nationalities and actually try to avoid hotels that are all English. This hotel on the other hand has very few English and is mainly Russian. These guys really have no concept of what a queue is. They treat the staff like dirt and are rude and ignorant to anyone else who is not Russian. Ok this maybe is not the hotels fault but just thought I'd mention it.
The list could go on and on.
If all you want to do is sun bathe and you don't mind rubbish food then this place is for you. If you actually want to stay in a 5 star hotel with 5 star service then I would think again.

Just like to end this by saying HI to Sam and Harry. A lovely couple who were there on their honeymoon. Don't think Sam will ever be allowed to book a holiday again.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
Stockton-On-Tees
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Just returned from an 11 night stay at this hotel. We went as a couple.We are both 23. We stayed as diamond class all inclusive guests and booked the junior suite with private outdoor jacuzzi. We were a little worried upon reading some of the reviews as we heard that even if you had booked a diamond class room then you weren't necessarily entitled to diamond class room depending on who you booked with. We did enquire with On the Beach who we booked with and they said we were entitled to standard class (which was irritating as we had paid a lot of money and the website did not make this clear). However upon arrival, we received Diamond class all inclusive. We don't know if this is because we did enquire as another review stated.

Diamond class meant you could get certain cocktails and drinks free in the veranda bar which you had to pay for if you were standard class all inclusive. It also meant we could book the al a carte restaurants to eat in. On a morning you could go for breakfast at the Laguna restaurant where as premium class all inclusive guests could not. This did not need to be booked. We did book the Laguna restaurant one night but it was a set menu. As a vegetarian there was no option for me to eat off the set menu. I was offered Chicken and chips!! Then when I explained I didn't eat any fish or meat they said I could have grapes! We complained and were told we should have informed the Hotel beforehand but I assumed it would not have been a problem for a so called five star hotel to do me some pasta or salad. I have stayed in 3 stars which have been more accommodating. We were also told "Don't worry as you have your health"! Unbelievable.We were also told that we were not supposed to get Diamond class but because we were English we received a free upgrade. This seems wrong on so many levels, try quoting this if they refuse you it! The veranda restaurant was a buffet and there was vegetarian choice but mainly vegetables and salad.

This brings me to the main restaurant. This was like a cattle market. I have never seen such greedy and rude people piling their plates so high. You would have though there was going to be a food shortage. There was pizza but there was only one guy making it and it was standard procedure to que for about 10 to 15 minutes for 2 slices. At first pizzas were just put out and people frequently helped themselves to half or sometimes the whole pizza. The pizza man then started dishing the slices out to resolve this but only after somebody complained. As a vegetarian the main choices were chips (which were cold in the main restaurant),pizza, pasta (only on a lunchtime) and on occasion there was cheese pie. Lots of salad but not very fresh and no lettuce to have with it. My boyfriend was not vegetarian and said the food was fine.They quite often stopped making food or putting it out 45 mins before the restaurant closed.Especially with late breakfast. On several occasions there were no knives and forks on the tables and no cups or mugs to get drinks. Sometimes you had to wait for more plates. The restaurant staff seemed fed up and rightly so. They were under lots of pressure as there seemed to be too many people to cater for. Also the manager in the restaurant seemed rude and appeared to shout at staff as well as customers who sat in the wrong areas of the restaurant. Premium class guests cannot sit where diamond class guests can. This seems rather wrong to me. The diamond class outside area has an arcade underneath it so it is rarely relaxing.

The hotel has some good points.The hotel was obviously done to a high standard a long time ago and the hotel was impressive but unfortunately standards have not been kept up and parts of this hotel have not been maintained as well as they could have been. For example paint peeling off the walls, sower trays which looked grubby and grimy with grout falling out of the tiles in our bathroom. It was clean, just not five star standard. It was the finishing touches that were missing. The hotel is very big and has lots of pools including children's pools. It has an adults only pool with lots of comfortable sunbeds and this pool is very quiet. We did find the other pools were busier and there did seem to be lots of children in the hotel. The hotel has its own beach with lots of sun loungers. There was rarely trouble getting a sun bed and there is a safe area for swimming in the sea.There are water sports available here. There is also a lovely breeze at the beach. There is a beach bar here also. Towels were provided in the room for diamond class guests. However these were not replaced and we had to go and ask for more on one occasion. In our room, the jacuzzi was clean and the sunbeds on the balcony were great and comfortable with padding on as they were at the adult pool. The balcony was overlooked from next door but this was not really a problem. We had a mini bar in the room which was filled with water everyday which was good.But we did get orange juice, beer and cola for the first few days but after that they were not replaced again. Not sure why. The maid service was very good and she came every day.

The hotel was in the middle of nowhere down windy roads. We walked into Milatos which was about ten minutes but there are no lights so this couldn't be done in the dark as it is a dirt track.
It was too far to walk to Sissi, we got a taxi there which cost 15 euros and walked back and it took about 40 minutes in the blistering heat down a dirt track. Sissi seemed okay but we didn't spend much time there, nothing much at Milatos it would seem. There was no entertainment at the hotel except for children. Sometimes there was a piano player. We got a taxi into Malia and back several times it cost 25 euros each way (expensive but worth it). The taxi drivers were very friendly.

The bar staff were friendly compared to the rest of the staff. Reception staff were very rude and you should expect to wait 30 mins to even be acknowledged as there were always swarms of people waiting there getting very cross. Service was poor overall. Upon check out, we had our all inclusive bands removed which we have never had in any other hotel before. This meant we were not entitled to lunch or any drinks and as we had to be out of the room for 12 o clock and weren't getting picked up until 6.40 this was terrible. After complaining, we received a lunch voucher however.

Other points: There are few English people. Lots of children.

This hotel does had some good points such as no fighting for sunbeds, it is quite picturesque and the beach was really good but I would probably not recommend it mainly because of the volume of people in the main restaurant and the poor service from staff (not including bar staff). The division of the all inclusive packages seems ridiculous as well and does nothing except get the backs up of poor people who only receive premium class all inclusive.

It is a shame as this hotel has the potential to be fantastic and I have a feeling it may have been several years back. The stay was enjoyable and the issues didn't spoil our holiday but don't expect five star.

Room Tip: I would recommend going for a suite with private or sharing pool or junior suite with jacuzzi as hea...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This hotel is definately not 5 star resort. The VIP Family 2 Bedroom Suite is worse than any 3 start budget hotel. One double wardrobe between 5 people, 2 hangers. Mattress that had springs stabbing you in the back. Childrens bedroom 2 single beds thats it, no wardrobe, no pictures on walls. Just 2 rooms with beds. Unless you stay Diamond Class rooms are sub standard. Hotel Management is rude and do not care about customer service. I stayed here for 2 weeks on an all inclusive with my family. 3 Children aged 9,7 and 3. My daughter had a broken foot before going on holiday and I informed hotel. When we arrived we were put in the furthest corner of the hotel. When I told staff that she cannot walk that far the response was you can call for a golf cart whenever she wants to go somewhere. With a 3 and 7 year old as well its not practical. The buffet restaurant is far away as are all pools. We wanted to move to be closer to main hotel and our mattress had springs stabbing you in the back. 1 doouble wardrobe for 5 people with 2 hangers. We asked to move and were told they were fully booked. Begrudgingly the manager found a room in the Diamond class acommodation which was smaller but far better quality. We did this to make my daughters holiday more enjoyable.

There was no water provided in rooms. Buffet restaurant was like a stampede at Breakfast and Dinner. The late continental breakfast consisted if coffee and toast. They constantly run out of mugs, milk and food and you have to keep on fighting to have it replenished. The greek yoghurt was served with canned fruit. Fresh fruit juice was not supplied you had to pay and extra 4 euros for each glass of orange juice. The kids breakfast consists of 3 types of cereal and warm milk only.
There are no lifeguards on duty at pools or on beach. Parents have to supervise children.
The restaurants were dangerous, when floor were wet or food spilled it took ages to get cleared up.
If you want late checkout you have to request it they give you an option of 60 Euros for 6 hours or 90 for 8 hours, they tell you they will let you know on morning of your flight which time you will get and then on morning they will tell you you have to move to a new room. Bearing in mind my daughter had a broken foot on holiday and I constantly had to remind the staff and managers that we could not move rooms they did not care and even locked us out of our room twice once because they wanted me to check out of first room at 12:00 and then just leave them to transfer luggage into the new room, I had 5 cases and lots of hand luggage and had to make sure it was all moved across. The Manager did not care about this. We also had to wait for 2 days for hangers. We were given 2 hangers for 5 people. One of the taps broke in the bathroom we asked for it to be fixed and the reception staff were so rude and did not even understand English. We spoke to other British couples on the holiday who also complained about quality of rooms and they were unhappy with VIP Family Suite and were told to move hotels if they did not like it. Basically unless you pay Diamond Class do not expect a decent room or service. This was first all inclusive and has put me off totally. Friends who have been to Turkey loads of times have described much better resorts. Avoid at all costs. The staff are overworked and it needs more of them at meal times and also behind bar and in bar. Barmen have to clear tables while you wait to be served for drinks. How this won and award in 2011 for best Mediterranean all inclusive family resort is beyond me.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Minos Imperial Luxury Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!