We had the very pleasant experience of staying at the Magdalena Grand Beach Resort over the Christmas period. The Hotel is set in very large grounds that they call the Lowland Plantation, that corporates an 18 hole champion Golf course, several lakes and some private housing. Leading to the entrance to the hotel you have a very impressive water feature, then you enter a large comfortable lobby/reception. In the main building there are several restuarants, bars and a shop. All the bedrooms are incorporated in two wings, one on each side of the main building. There is a covered walkway leading to all the rooms giving protection should it rain. All the bedrooms have a sea view.
I have noticed that on several trip reports, advice was made suggesting that the rooms nearest the main building are more convenient in general. Yes this may be true if you are elderly or infirm, but personally we found the rooms at the furthest ends much quieter and relaxing as they were away from the noise coming from the swimmingpool and the hum coming from the plant rooms close to the main buiding. Wherever you are, it is no further then a five minute stroll and as the grounds are picturesque, we found the walk to and from the main building extremely pleasant.
We were on a Bed and Breakfast arrangement, and that suited us fine, as it gave us more freedom to choose where we were eating. We indulged ourselves on three occasions by visiting the "Kalina" (fine dining) restaurant, as I believe you can only have the pleasure twice if you are on an all-inclusive package. The food was excellent at all venues, but we did find the buffet restaurant a lttle limited. Breakfasts were a sheer delight, having a huge choice and being able to sit outside was refreshing, especially early in the morning. (worth getting up early for!)
If I have to give any criticism at all, it was the absence of some facilities over the actual Christmas period, as some of the shops were closed, also the Spar was shut for three days and we were unable to book any tours from the hotel on those days. It was a bit of a shame those facilities were unavailable, but I do understand that staff like to have some time to enjoy
Christmas at home with their families. My wife did have some treatment later at the spar and was extremely happy with the service.
All the staff we did meet, were extremely friendly and efficient. It is tempting to name a few but that would unkind to all the rest, as they all did a superb job.
I would certainly recommend this hotel and given the chance, we would love to return ourselves
Paul. D. Gallagher.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The new, 4 Star, Magdalena Grand Beach Resort is located on Tobago Plantations Estate, a 750 acre gated community, and offers 178 Deluxe OceanFront Rooms and 22 One and Two Bedroom Suites. All accommodations are Ocean Front with private balconies. This beachfront resort offers an 18-hole PGA Golf Course, its own Dive Center, Spa, and the largest amount of banquet & meeting space on Tobago. Complimentary wireless internet is available throughout the resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vhl Tobago Golf And Spa Resort
- Vhl Tobago Golf Hotel Lowlands
- Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort Tobago/Lowlands