We very much enjoyed our stay at the Magdalena and being slightly off season the hotel was not particularly busy and this enabled ease of locating a sunbed round the pool - I would be concerned that this may be difficult if the hotel was busy especially if you were looking for shade as the umbrellas are thin on the ground and many of the beds are in exposed areas. In terms of the food - the meals are generally served in the buffet restaurant and in general the food is good however as in all mass catering situations there are the occasional offerings that do not quite hit the mark. There is the Kalina restaurant that if on an all inclusive package you get a voucher for 2 meals in a week - it is definately worth visting as the food and service is of a higher quality but be aware you do have to book in advance and they are not open every day (closed Sun / Wed while we were there). Point to note is that the dress code is VERY relaxed - too relaxed for me at times - shorts & t shirts is not uncommon at dinner it seems. If you have a rainy day the bar is the place to be where board games and Wii are laid on to keep you entertained. The only downside to rainy days for me is the fact that there is not really anywhere to sit in terms of comfy chairs to sit with a 'view' if you wanted to sit and chill with a book. The service in general is OK (hence my average score) there are individuals who understand that they are in a service industry but sadly there are a number that look surly and just do not speak. One thing I dislike is being ignored at the bar - cocktails are often being mixed and so waitng time is expected, but to wait 5 minutes (or more) without the bar staff even making eye contact does not make you feel welcome. In fact the most friendly staff could be found doing the most dull of jobs - handing out the pool towels! We also asked for a bill to check prior to checking out but the one we got at check out bore no resemblenace to it and when I enquired why got a blank look as if I was talking a foreign language and no apology. The location is good in terms of accessability to the rest of the island and to Scarborough, however it is on the Atlantic side so windy and the sea is quite rough. Also this means that you loose the sun round the pool fairly early as it decends behind the hotel. The rooms are good and clean and you can see that the fabrics are new and the TV and phone modern technology - there are some older peices of furniture that stick out as being older and more worn. We had a small maintenance issue with our plug that we reported one evening which was promptly resolved - so promptly in fact that maintenance arrived at 08.40 the next morning! As an all inclusive option - we found this to be value for money - the premuim drinks are not included but there are enough cocktail options and non premium drinks to get along with, the only issue being the house wine is a bit hit and miss! A couple of other points to mention that the hotel fail to do is that there is a beauty salon which without asking you wont get to hear about or get a price list for. Also there are bikes that you can ride round the estate which we only found out by accident (speak to the bell staff). Also the coffee shop outside the entrance is not included in the all inclusive package and there is a daily activity pamphlet which can be found behind the concierge desk and was once left on the breakfast tables. (note to the hotel - advertise what you offer!)
All in all I would recommend the hotel for comfort and relaxation but not for luxury if that is what you are after.
- Also Known As:
- Vhl Tobago Golf Hotel Lowlands
- Vhl Tobago Golf Hotel
- Vhl Tobago Golf And Spa Resort
- Magdalena Grand Beach Resort Tobago/Lowlands
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The new, 4 Star, Magdalena Grand Beach Resort is located on Tobago Plantations Estate, a 750 acre gated community, and offers 178 Deluxe OceanFront Rooms and 22 One and Two Bedroom Suites. All accommodations are Ocean Front with private balconies. This beachfront resort offers an 18-hole PGA Golf Course, its own Dive Center, Spa, and the largest amount of banquet & meeting space on Tobago. Complimentary wireless internet is available throughout the resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Cheap Tickets, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Magdalena Grand Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.