“Resort with a different style” 4 of 5 stars

Acajou Hotel
209`Paria Main Road | Grande Rivière, Grande Riviere Toco, Trinidad   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Grande Riviere
Monmouth Junction, New Jersey
“Resort with a different style”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed at this resort for a day on June 1,2012 and was happy with my stay. It is next to the beach where tourists gather to watch leather back turtles come on shore to lay eggs at night. It was like staying in the middle of a forest with the birds in the resort area. Rooms are neat. The manager offered us take out breakfast as we had to check out early morning. Price for the room was slightly high at $ 160.00 a night.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

76 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

It was too short a stay. After reading all the other reviews, I was a bit skeptical but as they say ' u have to see it to believe it". It took us some hours to get there with the roads and stuff but boy oh boy, it was worth it. The scenery en route was just beautiful, the air was clean and crisp and the huts was like home. It was clean, cozy and the view from my hut was amazing where the river and the sea merged. We had a king size bed and they even put in a crib for us because of my baby and i never requested one. How thoughtful! The clean hammock on the deck was the bomb. The no TV, AC or radio was not and issue and it gave us more together time without distractions. The staff was very friendly and the food was tasty. I would not hesitate to return to Acajou soon and recommend it anyone else.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I'll have to say it was simple, neat & nice. after all the reviews i read i was a bit skeptical, but after under standing the type of place (nature oriented) on the out side, gorgeous rivers and
breathtaking scenery, and understanding its in a remote part of Trinidad some bad and narrow roads with ruff sea's (we did find a sweet spot :)), i knew it's an adventure the family would love (they loved it). the rooms we loved it because it was cozy an comfi, no AC, TV or Radio (we did not need it). After traveling all over the world, I love the places i travel to when i'm at home in Trinidad as-well :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Chaguanas, Trinidad
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

My family and I overnighted at Acajou recently. The receptionist,, a lady with a spanish accent, was very impolite. Firstly the prices we got on the phone were different to what we had to pay when we got there. It was a lot more but we decided to stay as we had already made the long journey from South with kids in tow.And of course there was no reasoning with this lady who could not even eke out a smile. In my family's cottage the hot water was not working so we had to endure the freezing cold water. also the overhead fan was not working so we had a very uncomfortable night with the mosquitoes and the heat. Anyway, next morning we decided to go for our continental breakfast that was included in our package. Lo and behold our continental breakfast was one, yes one, slice of bread, butter, jam and a beverage. Which continent did this come from? Anything else you had to pay for...3 slices of burnt bacon $28.00, 2 eggs at $20.00. Talk about overpriced. And the staff were equally unfriendly. The beach itself was a walk away through a smelly fishing village and the water was very rough and rocky. So we couldn't bathe there. The same spanish receptionist did not even smile at checkout or ask how our stay was. She needs to do a course on customer service. She is one hostile lady. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Upon arriving at Acajou there were already problems. A woman we spoke to on the phone gave us some wrong information about the rooms and we ended up having to pay extra for the room. I suggest that all the workers are provided with the same information about the place. Secondly, the owner surely lacked customer service. Not once did she smile or provide us with a warm greeting. Surely she was not a Trinidadian! Apart from this, the food was terrible. Over $100 for a burger? $85 for a salad? I don't think so! And do not be fooled with this "full continental breakfast" that they are providing. To them, a continental breakfast is literally ONE slice of toasted bread with butter and jam. Imagine that. Also, the waitress was most unfriendly and acted as if she had the worst job in the world. She seemed very reluctant to serve us ans spoke in the harshest of tones. Leaving Acajou, the owner asked nothing of our visit but was only concerned about the extra food we bought for breakfast. She did not even see it fit to ask if we enjoyed our stay. Quite rude. In essence, I am truly disappointed with the service! I will never be staying at Acajou again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
W Yorks
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

Stayed over night to see the turtles and from that aspect was not disappointed. The cottages, of which our party had 5, were rustic and simple. The one we stayed in had a sleeping loft so slept 4 but seemed to be the smallest cabin! All the others had what were described as pull out sofas but apparently didn't pull out at all. Our cabin was far too small for a sofa and had an upright wooden chair instead! Previous comments about the need to traverse a smelly fishing depot to access the beach are entirely true. Also the gate leading out which we were told was to be kept locked was never locked at all. However, there was a security guard on site and when we wanted to get back after the turtle watching, "security" on the beach called him to escort us back. I don't know if this was for our security or that of the turtles! Most likely the latter. Also there was a great deal of loud music coming from somewhere in the village which rather spoiled the whole atmosphere. I felt it was very over priced for what was offered. If you are interested in turtle watching then there is really only a choice of 3 hotels. Food also limited once there. Since all the reviews were so negative we opted to eat at the place next door -Grand Almandier. This was absolutely terrible too, so I think you just have to take your chances as far as food goes or bring your own. One other point. None of the cabins had numbers on and although there were only 6 this was a bit confusing, especially for my elderly mother.

Room Tip: There's only a choice of 6 but apparently some of the king sized beds are a single mattress and...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
san fernando
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

I was excited when I saw the pics of this hotel online.I couldnt believe such a beauty existed right here in Trinidad and I havent been there.So I decided to take a trip to Grand Riviere. I was not over nighting , so I thought it a good idea to make reservations for lunch at Acajou and get an opportunity to experience this little beauty.Upon reaching Acajou we were warmly welcomed by Cristina, who offered us the keys to the entrance to the beach-you would be thinking a beach front property right? To my horror there was a river and a small fishing village!! It smelt very badly and heavily of gasoline since all the fishermen had their boats parked there. The place was a bit filthy since the fishermen had their nets etc laying around. To get to the beach you had to walk across a small wooden bridge which was over the river.

The lunch ordered was certainly not was expected. Imagine I paid $185.00 for 4 slices of potatoes, 4 very thin strips of carrots and 5 shrimp. I was horrified! The garlic bread was like a thousand years old-STALE and it smelt funny. After such a long journey to this place I was very disappointed. Cristina was nowhere to be found and the waitress lacked customer service training, politeness and the ability to speak professionally.At the end of the day I opted to buy KFC since I was starved.
The front of the premises is swampy dues to the river so close. There are mosquito nets over beds. So if you plan to overnight make sure and take plenty insect repellant since this seems to be a breathing place for mosquitoes.Also there are no restaurants or fast food outlets in the area. There are small parlours and shops where you can purchase snacks.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Acajou Hotel? Share your experiences!