“A True Caribbean Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Bacolet Bay B&B and Inns
England
“A True Caribbean Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I have just returned from a week with my son at the Bacolet Beach Club in Tobago and the whole experience was fantastic. Having looked at the reviews here I was slightly nervous as to what we would find but I needn't have worried as this is a hotel to recommend without any hesitation. On arrival we were personally shown to our room not just given keys and directions and that level of care continued throughout our stay. Our room, number 17, was well presented with a modern bathroom, four poster bed with a separate bed for my son and a large balcony overlooking the beach. Every contact we had with any member of staff was always a pleasant one even to the extent that on the day that we left they let us use a room that had been cleaned to get changed meaning that they would have to re-clean it. This was a nice touch and very much appreciated. It suited us that because there are steep steps down to the private beach there were no children at the hotel whilst we were there. You have the choice of laying by the pool or going down to the beach and in case the steps seem too much for you on the way back there is a bar halfway up !!!! Having visited Turks & Caicos, The Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and the Virgin Islands this is definately my favourite Caribbean island. All the locals were friendly, laid back and happy and there was never any hint of danger. We even had call to visit the local health centre and that was as good an experience as you would find in the UK and we weren't charged for the prescriptions for my son. All in all both myself and my son are now big fans of Tobago and this hotel and will be going back as soon as possible. Are there any negatives that I can think of ? I suppose if you are a high flying executive who couldn't posssibly be without the internet for 5 minutes you might want to go to one of the larger Islands and stay in a typical corporate characterless hotel but then if you're that indespensible why are you holidaying in the Caribbean ? Top Marks All Round From 2 Happy Brits.

Room Tip: Room 17 is ground floor and tucked away in the corner which was ideal for us. Some of the rooms are...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
NEW YORK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Immediately upon arriving at Bacolet Beach Club I was blown away by the appealing lobby and hospitality, Stephanie in reservations was exceptional. I wasn't sure what to expect, given the fact that I had booked through ZOZI and received a tremendous discount on the price. Upon entering my room, I was delighted at the ambience; flower petals adorned the modern décor. Every inch of the bay deluxe room was exquisite and inviting. The room included all that was promised, a four poster king size bed with mosquito net, a private bathroom, a mini bar – though a bit expensive, a private veranda with sea view. I loved listening to the sound of the waves hitting the rocks at night. Most delightful, my room was steps away from the infinity pool. The package included complimentary breakfast at Café Havana, which was very tasteful; the service was great, very relaxing environment and only a short walk from the hotel. There’s also a trail leading down to the private beach which I didn’t have the opportunity to enjoy, but it sure looked inviting and secluded. Very safe area, a security guard was stationed at the front desk at night, although I did see him sleeping at times. The package also included a one day jeep rental to explore Tobago; however transportation to Scarborough is very easy to obtain. Overall, an enjoyable and worthwhile stay, friendly staff, clean, luxurious, and enchanting. I will definitely stay at Bacolet Beach Club again whenever I visit my homeland Tobago.

Room Tip: The Bay Deluxe Rooms are the smallest rooms on the ground floor, but they're the closest to the...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband and I had the most relaxing two days at the Bacolet Beach Club. We were heading to Trinidad for a 2 week party for Christmas break and wanted to unwind from life before we parties. We could not have found a better place for that.
We flew in from trinidad on a cheap 20 minute perfect flight. The drive to the resort was painless and our taxi driver was an impromptu tour guide - so knowledgeable about the island!

Check in was a breeze and the staff were really helpful and so eager to please. Our room was probably the least nice of all the rooms - and it was still beautiful. There was a four poster bed with white curtains all around it....beautiful flowers were placed everywhere...the bathroom was clean and roomy and the balcony had beautiful loungers on it - where we spent a lot of time. And the pillows! OMG - some of the best sleeps I have ever had!

The food was delicious - we had the Rib eye steaks one night and were really impressed. The beef we get in canada is so good we were kinda prepared for a mediocre steak - but it was delish. The breakfast buffet is good too! The homemade berry muffins are to die for!

The beach is really really nice - the path down to the beach is steep but no problem at all. There is a sweet bar halfway down with a great bartender! We had so much fun playing in the waves - and we are over 30...lol. And going down there at night is amazing...there are a few lights, we brought down a bottle of wine, listened to the waves and relaxed! Heaven!

I would def reccomend this resort for anyone looking to unwind. We were there for 3 days and it was long enough - I think we might have gotten bored if we were there for any longer. It s really peaceful and quiet. One reccomendation I would have is maybe some light music at the pool, and more specials at the restaurant to mix it up.

Room Tip: We had Room 1 and it was the least nice...ask for a room facing the pool on the main floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Helier, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This is a little late as we stayed at BBC in Jan/Feb 2012 but thought we should write about the positive experience we had.

Located only a short taxi drive from the airport we were blown away as we were shown to our room - beautiful four poster bed and terrace overlooking the private beach. We had been managing our expectations as we had picked up a late deal on BA.com but the location and airy, spacious room was more than we dared hoped for.

There's a lovely laid back vibe around the hotel and it was the ideal place to relax and unwind for a week. Either reading books around the infinity pool or climbing down the stairs to the beach bar before taking a swim in the fun little waves that roll into the bay.

Food at the restaurant was decent but slightly limited - great view though! Taxis to nearby eateries are easy and reasonable (Salsa kitchen is a must!)

Staff were helpful and friendly - particularly Stephanie at reception and the guys down at the beach shack. Tobago is our favourite Caribbean island to visit - largely unspoiled by tourism and authentic/inexpensive as a result. We recommend you go sooner rather than later.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Port of Spain, Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My family and I stayed for 2 nights and my only regret was the short stay. The hotel provided a warm intimate atmosphere to enjoy without the commercial feeling you get at a similar or larger hotel. Their staff was friendly, very helpful and always willing to assist. I would recommend a stay if you are looking to relax and unwind. The bad reviews about the hotel are greatly exaggerated. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: I would recommend the rooms located next to the pool, the view of the ocean during sunset was amazin...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We had a week in the hotel in November 2012 and really enjoyed our stay. The room we had was clean and comfortable with a useful spacious balcony and a sea view overlooking the small bay the hotel sits in. First tip of the review is to ask at reception for a tray and kettle to be left in the room so you can make your own hot drinks, like tea and coffee. They are only too glad to do this and the maid will bring fresh milk in daily, which you can store in the fridge provided. The room itself was big enough for us, but did lack a bit of storage space if you were staying for more than a week. It had a very good TV and Audio set up and a nice touch on arrival was Rose petals scattered over the bed and bathroom. All the staff, including Reception were very friendly and helpful.

The beach is a bit of a steep climb down some winding stairs, but well worth the effort as it is secluded and virtually private to the hotel. There are also plenty of sun loungers and natural shade provided by the native rubber trees, which are everywhere on the island. The trees just behind the beach are home lots of local wildlife, particularly birds, and it's a joy listening to them as you lie in the sun and relax. The sea was also lovely and warm while we were there and certainly no cooler than the Caribbean on the other side of the island. I can also recommend the cocktails at the Beach bar where you can enjoy lively local music as you gaze out towards Trinidad, which you can see on a good day. If you are not a beach person there is a small pool, good for chl and, again, there are plenty of sun loungers available and towels from reception.

Scarborough itself is a 15 minute walk away along a busy-ish road, so be careful, and I would not recommend walking between 11am and 4pm unless your skin is particularly hardy and/or very well protected, because there is not a lot of shade. We were very lucky while we were there with the weather because it only rained one afternoon, so we missed very little "sun worshipping" and besides, that's what makes Tobago such a tropical paradise. During the one rainy afternoon we spent lots of time on the balcony reading and there was even a plug socket (US-type) for the i-Pod. For UK sports fans the TV has FOX sports, so you can watch most live Premiership games and the fact there is only +4 hours time difference means the games are not on at silly times.

I have written a separate review on the restaurant (Cafe Havana) so will not say a lot here, except that breakfasts were very good and meant we did not need lunch at all during our stay. The one thing to watch in the restaurant is they add 25% to the bill to cover service charge (10%) and local taxes (15%). We had no objection to paying the 10% service charge at any time, because service was always excellent, but it can be a bit of a shock if you are not expecting it.

We did look at other hotels in the area, but could not see anywhere with a better beach, restaurant and facilities than we had at the Bacolet Beach Club. We also spoke to other couples who were in other hotels on the other side of the island, around Turtle Beach, and they all said there were not enough restaurants around that area of the island, which makes it difficult if the hotel food was not up to scratch. That is not the case with this hotel. I would definitely recommend it and we will certainly go back again. I have written a separate review for the Salsa Kitchen Tapas Restaurant which I would recommend visiting while you are there. You will need a taxi to get there and I can highly recommend Trevieno Marcelle on (868) 784 5635, who is very punctual, has a great car, and is very good value for money.

To get to Tobago we flew from Gatwick with BA and were surprised to learn that we first had to stop at Antigua, which adds 60-90 mins to the flight time, making it around 9.5 hours instead of 8. The stop is a bit hectic, with the cabin crew spraying the interior as you sit there and also having to check al the hand luggage i the overhead lockers, so be prepared for this. It's the same on the way back, but not as irritating because you have only just started your journey. We were also flying on to Manchester after we got back to Gatwick and we had no problems either way booking our bags all the way through, but be careful about buying any liquids at Tobago duty free if you are doing this, because they will still be hand luggage for your flight from Gatwick to home. Another top tip we were given was to book into the Yotel at Gatwick South terminal for a few hours (we booked 4hrs, which was plenty) and book a later internal flight. We did this and managed to sleep off the jet lag, get freshened up, and resume our UK clock and normal timings the next day. I have flown back many times from the States and felt awful for days so, to avoid this happening again, I will certainly be using Yotel in the future. It's the best £50 you will ever spend in my opinion!

Room Tip: I would avoid the rooms around the pool area as they lack the privacy and peacefulness of the others
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

If you're looking to get away from it all, this is it. Located not too far from the Airport and Scarborough, it is on a secluded beach, so it's basically private. Rooms and grounds were as pictured on the photos from management. Staff were good, food was excellent, though the wine list is wanting, except for sparkling wine, of which there was a good selection.

The driver they called for us on each of our excursions was very knowledgeable, prompt and attentive.

I would note that they were renovating some rooms while we were there, which likely addresses the concerns of Kyle C who stayed in November.

I would highly recommend a stay here!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Bacolet Beach Club? Share your experiences!