“Snorkeling paradise” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Naviti Island
Sydney, Australia
“Snorkeling paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Just returned from 3 nights at the Beautiful Botaira Beach Resort.....Of which is a small resort consisting of 11 bures and a dorm....all bures were booked fully while we were there
There is no night life, the bar while we were there shuts at 8.30pm very quite at night....which was exactly what we were after...lots to do though the day if you want......village trips, boat visits to the blue lagoon caves....etc..
It didn't start very well on arrival after our 3hour plus boat trip which was very pleasant as the seas were kind...
.....after our greeting, we were informed that we would have to spend our first night in the dormitory.......much to our horror...and the next 2 nights we would stay in the bure...". I booked a beachfront "bure"..as we were there only 3 nights.....I was far from happy......so after saying that we would not be staying there at all that we would catch the boat back to the mainland...he managed to find us a bure.....
In our emails to the resort I did ask if all the bures were oceanfront there reply was yes.....wrong.... I was informed that I needed to say that I wanted to stay on the front row .......as they are ALL classified as beachfront. After speaking to other guests they had like experiences with the mix up with the wording....
The front bures beachfront right on the water....
are numbered from 0ne being the closet to the eating area along to number seven all being right on the waterfront.....we stayed in number eight which really should be classified as garden....numbers 8 to 11 are behind the beachfront ones...With 8 being the furthest distance...Which still isn't that far from the eating area and water.
The snorkeling is amazing....so we're our three yummy meals per day and afternoon tea.......the resort has a really well stocked vege garden......
Hand line as well as trawling fishing are available at an extra cost.....if your lucky enough as we were, we swam with the Manta Rays a ten minute boat trip......they are there only certain times of the year.......
Yes we did take a kettle, tea and coffee, as we read in other reviews also a torch is required as there is no power from 12.30am to 6.30am..also we had no hot water in our bure.....other bures had a little...
They do have mosquito nets available if not already in your room, ask for one,we found out on our departure....take bug repellant......there is a fridge in room....we took our own alcohol.I bought a few bottles of wine at the local shop on the mainland.., they have a happy hour each evening...
We will be returning again next year......After we got over our initial mixup......overall it was a very relaxing enjoyable time. The fijiian staff went out of there way to make sure our stay was pleasant...
Vinaka

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Sydney, Australia
2,609 reviews 2,609 reviews
1,160 helpful votes 1,160 helpful votes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

We all do the same – write about the tropical paradise, how nice the people are, best snorkeling in the world, it’s a marine reserve so that you get many more species than at most other locations, what a great escape etc.etc.
I’ve said the same and written this in several previous reviews.
Occasionally though, some of the other factors tend to become irritants – lack of hot water, we can’t live on Nescafe for a week (most repeat guests bring our own coffee), no ice cubes, the food is very ordinary at best, terrible at worst.
These are trivial by comparison to the main reasons you go there
We returned a couple of weeks ago and lots of little things went wrong.
Botaira didn’t book my Flyer properly apart from the fact I had a voucher that said $572 return and I was actually charged $732, then on arrival Lynn’s lunch wasn’t as expected.
On leaving, we were charged for the last day’s lunch (this is a new policy) despite the fact they stuffed up the first day and Lynn brought her own food for several days to overcome the allergy issue.
They also charged for beers that I didn’t drink from the bar and despite saying they would credit me, that’s not happened.
Despite having been there many times and ringing and writing prior to arrival, they keep forgetting that Lynn has major allergies of wheat and dairy and they are serious health issues.
So what happened on the first day – same lunch full of wheat as everybody else.
At breakfast, she mentioned again that she can’t have scrambled eggs made with butter but when she checked the kitchen, she was still being given the same eggs as everybody else.
In one way, it's like 50 First Dates with Adam Sandler but it's not quite as funny and the implications are serious if Lynn doesn't watch out at every meal.
The main reason we were there for this trip was to see the manta rays – the resort had not organised any of the guests for any days – they just said nobody has booked so just assumed it wouldn’t happen – Lynn spent each dinner cobbling together a boatful of people for the next days and everybody loved it.
The downside though was that hundreds of people from neighbouring resorts were in similar boats and there was no crowd control or restrictions on people jumping on top of the manta rays.
Many of the rays had scratch marks from people wanting a “touch and feel” experience but watching this experience would suggest that they won’t keep coming back if they are continually harassed.
But why am I negative today – the dominant reason is that I hate getting sick every time I visit.
I have visited countless countries but never suffered diarrhea as frequently as when I visit here. I suffered every day/night .
Another guest who was there referred to another resort further up the Yasawa Group and he was appalled at the lack of hygiene standards in the kitchen – when he mentioned it to the owner, the answer was simple – “don’t bother coming back”
Last December we had an experience at the kava night and Lynn collapsed to the floor .
She was incredibly sick but no-one came to her assistance.
We came back for all the reasons that people repeat and the manta rays – I can put up with bad luke-warm coffee and passable food – I cannot though put up with some of the other health issues.

Room Tip: Definitely get a bure by the beach
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Pacific Harbour, Fiji
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I just got back from visiting 3 resorts in the Yasawas. I absolutely loved Boitera! It is not a five star resort and it did have a few irritations, however, it more than made up for it with the Fijian staff, the atmosphere, the beach, the villas, and the Yasawa way of life.
When I arrived they gave a garden villa but I had confirmed a beachfront one..this was quickly resolved...I loved the oceanfront villa...all night I fell asleep to the sound of the waves washing up onto the shore..it is the loudest and best ocean waves I have ever heard. I loved the shower..the villa..the lounging area on the porch of my viila...the tree swing in front..and the path to the ocean.
I also loved walking the sandy path in front of the ocean to the main area of the resort. Loved the torches lit up at night and all the beautiful stars in the sky..
I loved the way they called you to meals by beating a drum...I found the meals to be good and especially loved the afternoon cake and tea. I would suggest that they have real coffee instead of nescafe. (Some guests brought their own coffee pot and coffee since they come every year)
Also, I would suggest fish at more meals. Other guests also were surprised with the lack of fish and so I told the main office and they said the staff just wasn't able to catch any fish lately.
There were a lot of honeymooners so if you are single it was a little hard sometimes but of course this can't be helped. There was a family from China and a family from Australia at the beginning of my trip. I enjoyed talking to everyone.
Every day I joined Caleb (Staff Member) on the hike to the village since it was great exercise and every time I bought something from the ladies in the village. I asked Caleb why there wasn't any kava ceremony at Boitera because being a Fijian resort I thought it was missing the Kava!!
I gave him money to buy some in the village and one night we invited the guests to see Kava..they were very interested but not all really understood the importance or significance of kava in Fiji. I would suggest more interaction with guests and staff.
On days when the resort was full there were lots of activities but when it only had 15 or so people there were not many activities..those days I read my book on the ocean. The highlight was swimming with Manta rays at 0645 am. They were big and beautiful and the staff did a great job finding them.
For 3 days there was no ice at the bar so no guests could have pina colada type drinks...only Fiji Bitter or Gold. Everyday they would say the ice was comming on the Yasawa flyer but it didn't come until the 4th day. That should be addressed...but thank goodness I do like a cold Fiji Bitter beer!!
Most of all I just loved the way I felt at Boitera..like one of the family..no it wasn't perfect but it did not matter..it was on Fiji Time...and I loved it sooo much...I will go back again but next time I want to go with someone special...because it is such a special place for me.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Brownsburg, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I had the great opportunity to visit the Botaira Beach Resort in May of 2012, and it is one of the best destinations I've ever travelled to. The accomodations were exactly what we expected, basic but very nice. The people were fantastic tended to all of our needs. The food was very good, in fact, better than we expected....and we had more variety than we expected. There are plenty of organized activities advertised each day, but I'm not really sure why. No-one paid any attention to them and we all pretty much did whatever we wished. We spent most of our time snorkeling and simply relaxing. It was great to be away from our laptops and cellphones for the week. We did have some pests in our bures, including wasps, lizards and mice. If those things frighten you, stay on the mainland in a super-sanitized 5 star resort. If you want the feel of a real tropical paradise...this place is awesome. Only thing I wish would have been better would have been the hot water. It was very unpredictable and mostly non-existent. However, we had been told about that and were prepared...so I can't really complain.

As everyone else mentions, the snorkeling here is just fabulous. I had never snorkeled before, but within minutes was doing very well. I could snorkel for HOURS without getting tired, and the sealife was beautiful!!!

If you visit, bring:
Wasp Spray, or something to swat at the bugs
Underwater camera
Beach towel and maybe a bath towel
ALL necessary toiletries and medicines.
Converter for electrical outlet. They use same pattern as Australia.
Small flashlight (torch) to see while moving around in your bure at night
Hand sanitizer

For more info and a video review of our stay, visit:

If you go prepared and your expectations are in-line with what Botaira offers, this will be one of the best locations on the planet for you to visit.

Room Tip: Choose a beachfront bure. They are slightly more expensive, but worth it. We stayed in bure 7 whic...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We just spent 11 magnificent days snorkelling and relaxing at Botaira. We were there at the same time as 41mum (see review) and want to say everything she said, plus..... the bar fridge in the bures is a great addition. We also found the price reasonable considering it included 4 meals per day for 4 people (one of which is a teenage boy who eats more than anyone). The food was varied - the 3 Lovo Nights we had were great, and the BBQ Night was the best, with the exception of our special Lobster dinner on the beach which was wonderful! Our activities/drinks bill was reasonable as well, considering we went fishing 3 times, swimming with Manta Rays 3 times, a village visit, and a boat ride back to Church on Sunday, plus cocktails, beer and wine every night. We had filter coffee every morning at breakfast, and yes the line-up at the toaster when the 21 students were in the dorm was tedious, but this wasn't a problem after they left. A lovely family that were leaving shortly after we arrived gave us the kettle they brought with them and this was much appreciated. At their request, we gave it to Ase (one of the lovely cleaning ladies) to take back to the Village when we left. This is a good idea if you like tea/coffee in your room. Whilst there is no kids club, it isn't necessary - Mini and Caleb spent so much special time with our 7 year old, playing with him, weaving and Caleb even walked him the length of the beach hunting for hermit crabs! He even got to dress up in grass skirt and do the Torch Lighting Ceremony 7 times!! Mini planting palm trees with him on the beach the day we left was a nice touch. A very special thank you to Mita for organising everything and meeting us at the airport, beautiful Sera, Api, Caleb, Knox 1 & 2 for taking such good care of us at meal times and your warm smiles, Api and Newa for weaving us such beautiful things (love the bird Newa!), Newa (reception) for making nothing a problem, Illi, Reuben, Carlos and Mini for giving my boys such a great time fishing, Lesi for being such a great cook - look after those Sara fish, the lovely cleaning ladies for making our beds every day, and changing our sheets every 3-4 days, and giving us extra towels for the beach (I want a broom like theirs) - if it was necessary to ask for anything, it wouldn't have been a problem. Jerry (the man who maintains the gardens/lawns) for taking special time out from his work to help us with our weaving (what a lovely man). Lastly a very special big hug to Mini for organising all of the games, tours, and just for being so much fun! You are truly special! If you want the real Fiji, go to Botaira.

Room Tip: Beachfront Bures are awesome - on a few steps away from the beach, but all are close.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Oslo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I wil try very hard to keep this short as most have been covered by other reviews.

The girlfriend and I had a fantastic 10 days there, in a bure 3 meters from the FANTASTIC beach, away from any connection to the world, with beautiful snorkelling on-hand all day long, and tended to by the most wonderful people (you will very seldomly meet more genuine service).

We saw sea turtles and a whole lot of other crazy sea creatures, had private dinner on the beach, drank beautiful cocktails, had the beach to ourselves more or less all day long everyday (even though there were other guests), etc, etc, etc, etc.

We were a bit worried that we had to sit with other people at meals (we wanted to enjoy each other's company) but we could actually sit by ourselves quite often and the people we met during dinners have all been nice and interesting.

Do NOT go there if you expect: silly posh 27-stars hotel pampering, backpacking-style parties with loud music, kids clubs with all sorts of activities, complicated food (the food was simple but very good, very fresh and very local - loads of fresh fish from the day basically), etc.

We have been to a few nice places on this planet but this was as close we ever got to paradise on earth.

To finish this up: A couple (I guess in their 60s/70s) from Hawaii was there and told us that they stay there for a whole month every year as it reminds that how Hawaii was 30/40 years ago. Sounds good, isn't it??

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I will not rave on because as the ohters have said, you won't find better snorkelling, clearer water, or better fishing anywhere else.
The location is AMAZING!!!
In addition to that, the most generous and warm people on the planet, with those incredible smiles. We had 9 perfect days.
I can't understand why someone said not good value! With our dollar, we got the holiday about 1/2 price. It cost us(family with 2 teens) about $3,500 to $4,000 AUD for 9 nights all meals and we had TWO beachfront bures' in the most incredible location. I would challenge anyone to get better value than that.
The meals were wonderful, fresh food out there including yummy homemade cakes at afternoon tea is just amazing. We stayed at Raffles Nadi (pre/post) and thats across the road form the airport and the food was expensive and absolutley SHOCKING.
The meals highlight was our private lobster dinner on the beach in the moonlight WOW!
Anyway I promise I wouldn't do repeating others so a few tips.
1) Don't go here if you like your 5 star creature comforts
2) No kids club, so for littlies a bigger resort might suit better
3)If doing a Village visit, ask to get the boat on the way back, its really hot walking in the sun on the way back (take books,pens etc for the school)
4) Some of the Bures have rats, we were in No.2 and asked to be moved as our "guest" kept me awake. They kindly let us move to No.1 and no problem. (kid were in 3) PS No. 2 also the solar battery alarm went off in the night and needed resetting
5) Some basic maintenance needs to be attended to, eg the shower heads. I screwed mine in with some scissors and it worked OK
6) No probelm with mozzies a few at dusk only, and sandflies, so beware at this time of day
7) Take a waterproof camera
8) Take small change for tips etc. They had no change and we parted with $50 notes more than we wanted.
9) See if any large groups are coming in the dorm. We had 21 students first 3 days and it made the ususal care-free meal times very stressful lined up at the toaster for 45 mins. If you have any large groups beat them to brekky! Our teens loved having some others for Volleyball, but I was glad to see them leave.

THE BEST holiday we have ever had. Pity I missed the mantas, but hubby and daughter got to see them.

Room Tip: Avoid Bure 2. Open showers are in the garden bures which look a little more private. But we loved ou...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Botaira Beach Resort? Share your experiences!