“Private, clean, gorgeous food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Otto and Fanny's Place

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tavewa Island
Otto and Fanny's Place
Tavewa Island, Fiji   |
Sydney, Australia
“Private, clean, gorgeous food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

Otto and Fanny's is not luxurious compared to Fiji resort standards, but that was part of the charm. I stayed in the dorm and only had to share with one other person at the time. I had been staying on another resort on Tavewa and found it hypersocial and crowded. O&F afforded me privacy and Ape and Jimmy were still attentive in a laidback and friendly way.
With only about 5 other bures and the dorm room, I had space to feel like a human being again as opposed to a sardine. It is a family owned business and Jimmy took myself and the other guests staying for a kava night with the rest of the family. The food was wonderful- I ate like a queen! Unlike some on the resorts in Yasawa, you do not have to pay for meals there with accomodation, but really, when the food is this good, you may as well try it for one day.
The snorkelling which I travelled to the Yasawas for was just off the beach and I spent countless hours exploring the waterlife and idled away on the hammocks. It was a piece of paradise that I still hold dear to my heart there.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

38 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

Otto and Fannys is a fantastic place to stay. All of the staff are wonderful. We stayed in the traditional Bure which is located at the very front of the island in front of the blue Fiji water. Accommodation is very cheap and given the location of the traditional Bure, it really feels like you are on a remote island holiday that should cost the earth.
The Bure is basic but has a toilet and shower. The bed is comfortable however not firm.
Meals are prepared by Harry who cooks healthy yet very tasty meals. The staff will leave you to your own devices if thats what you are after however if you are up for a chat they were more than happy to sit around with us and join in.
We really felt like we were welcomed into the family at Otto and Fannys. It felt more like a Home-stay than just accommodation.
But if you are up for a relaxing time to yourself, its still easy to acheive here. There is plenty of space on the island to laze around. The water is best up around the corner where there are corals and crystal clear water. We hardly came across others whilst on the beach and we thought it was just amazing that we were in budget accomodation yet it felt like the whole place was to ourselves.
We have been to Fiji several times and we found the cleanliness up to standard.
We stayed at Blue Lagoon and also Manta Ray resort on this trip and by far my favourite time was at Otto and Fannys. Three main memories from this stay is the welcome feeling, the solitude on the beach and that fantastic Bure right on the beach.
We will definetly come back to vist you Harry, Fanny, Ka and Mili! Thanks for an awesome and most welcoming stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

Arriving at Otto and Fanny's and palm trees everywhere! I couldn't get my smile of my face!
The bures are clean and nice decorated (cold shower only and no electricity around lunchtime).
We had coconuts everyday (made it a challenge to open them without any tools).
The chef (Harry) cooks extraordinary good food!
The beach is very nice (thats why people from coral view walk the long way to that side). Snorkeling wasn't that exciting and the diving trips we did very average.

If you ever decide to go to Fiji, no matter where, take some unwanted stuff from home – unused toys, pencils anything, people out there need it a lot more than we do!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Tel Aviv
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

This was my last stop in Yasawas after spending time in 2 other resorts. this was definitely the best stop and it was my longest. i first stayed in the communal bure and then in a private one. the food is great and while staying there is not cheap, it is worth it. the calm atmosphere and friendly staff make the place.

i will never forget a dinner where the staff joined us and sang traditional songs. it was very hard to leave this resort. there is also a lot to do around: diving, snorkeling, visiting the nearby caves or climbing to the top of the mountain.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

This is one of the nicest place I have seen so far in my life.
It's not the most luxurie place- but it is so idyllic and the people are so fantastic there.
It is a huge garden with just 4 bures- so everybody has there own space and it is not all very close together as on lots of other resorts. The beach around the edge is absolutly beautiful and you hardly ever meet somebody else there. Harry is an excellent chef and specially his fishcakes are absolut adorable.

I would say that this is the perfect place specially for couples who would love to have there own space. Book in advance. What you get for your money here is amazing.

I loved it there and will come back!!!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

We stayed planned to stay at this resort for 3 nights but cut it short. The staff are very nice, but they are very behind the times with the accommodation. The bures are very very basic and the beds did not have mattresses, they were foam which was very uncomfortable. The beach was very dirty after the cyclone, it seemed no-one had made an attempt to clean it up. The plus points are, that it's very very quiet and the family that run the resort do cook up some nice food. There are plenty of other resorts in the Yasawas of a better standard compared to this resort.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Prague
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2009

During this recent Summer of 2009, my husband and 9yr old daughter were in the process of travelling around the world. We did N.Y., Wild West, Hollywood, Hawaii and I was happy but I was missing something. Yes, Fiji is beautiful and very paradise like, however, Otto and Fanny is home in paradise. Yes, their service, cleaniness, location, and value are wonderful. The food is 4 star in quality, however, the very essence of Otto and Fanny is something you can not reserve, buy or hire. It is a home, peace, joy of their resort which is rare and contagious. Once you experience the quality and the home-like atmosphere it is something you will lovelingly reflect on and share with others. There were busy hours of snorkeling, games with the wonderful and smart island children, swimming, cave adventures, day visits to other resorts/ islands but there were also the calmer hours of chit chat and laughter over a dinner with couples and the staff, looking up at millions of stars and the milky way, hiking up the island´s mountain to reach the peek by sunset and playing with the loyal island dogs that are companions on a lazy afternoon. I must say that I travelled the world to come to a realization that I´d rather be at Otto and Fanny´s. We intend on not only returning but bringing people there with our travel agency in the near future. Thanks La, Fanny, Jimmy and the gang. We miss you and wish you all the best.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Otto and Fanny's Place? Share your experiences!