“A real cultural experience.” 5 of 5 stars

You added Coralview Island Resort to your Saves list
Coralview Island Resort
3.0 of 5 Hostel   |   PO Box 3764, Tavewa Island 000679, Fiji   |
Wellington, New Zealand
“A real cultural experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

After spending 4 very quiet and relaxing days at another resort (Nanuya) on a nearby island, we were wondering what to expect for our 4 nights at Coralview. The transfer there by water taxi was complementary - thank you, and was very easy as it was only a 10 min trip. They collect from all resorts on the nearby islands, you just need to email them to let them know where you will be or the resorts can just contact each other - so if you aren't on a Bula Pass you can hop around the resorts in the area very easily, which is something that we didn't realise prior to going. We arrived during the traditional Fijian dancing and singing ceremony which was the most stimulation and noise we had experienced for a while but we quickly got into it and realised that this was going to be a completely different experience. The staff put in so much effort and everyday they treated us to another little cultural experience - we even got to observe a traditional welcome ceremony and meet and spend the evening in the presence of the President of Fiji who stayed at the resort after assessing the cyclone damage - I'm not sure you could expect this every week though!!
The dancing and singing was very entertaining and enlightening - our favourite being 'Cultural Saturday' where they have a traditional lovu meal with fire dancing on the beach - it was wonderful! The staff invite you to join in the whole lovu experience by watching the oven being dug, the food being prepared and the building of the underground oven - covered in banana leaves. The food whilst we were there was of very good quality and plentiful. It is buffet style and you can go up as many times as you like. It was generally meat and/or fish and veges and rice in different styles depending on the theme for the night and then fruit for dessert. The islands had unfortunately lost their fruit due to the cyclone but there was always fresh pineapple and water melon. The small shop there sells cheesecake and cookies etc. if you need a sugar fix.The bures were basic but comfortable - plenty of room for 2 people, you may be a little under each others feet if there were 4 of you - but manageable. The only little suggestion we have is that it would be incredibly useful if a rail and hangers were available to hang clothes up. The decks were lovely and spacious and the ocean view bures have a stunning view. The staff were lovely - very friendly and nothing seemed too much trouble - especially the younger very smiley guy who ran the bar in the evenings and Nico was more than happy to spend an hour or so with us, being bombarded with questions about the Fijian culture. There are many trips available - as well as the bigger trips to the caves and diving etc. they also offer free ones every day, for example to sun tan beach at low tide - definitely worth a visit, it's your own little slice of paradise! We also visited the local village where some of the staff live, so we got to visit Mose's house and his family - also the local Chief. They villagers are very friendly and it's good to support their local shell market. If you can fit it in your case, take something for the local kids to play with (just balls or frisbees etc) - they will really appreciate it. If not then the cookies we took went down very well!!
Snorkelling around the coral reef was spectacular. It was like being in a giant fish tank - but you have to go out to the clam farm to see the best bits. This is only a few minutes snorkel from the beach and very manageable. The beach is fairly small which wasn't a problem as there are plenty of sunbeds and hammocks in the shade on the grassy part of the resort. However, if you are after unspoilt, deserted, white sandy beaches - this probably isn't for you. There is a quiet sandy beach littered with palm trees just 10 mins walk through the back of the resort.
We spoke to so many people there who raved about the resort and had extended their stay or returned time after time - one guy there was trying to change his flight for the second time that holiday - obviously couldn't get enough! We also really enjoyed our time at Coralview and would recommend it to everyone. It seemed to cater well for all ages, they had the backpacker dorms but also my partner and I were on holiday with his 65+ year old parents with us and they loved it and enjoyed all the entertainment - in fact they did more activiites than we did - including climbing the hill for the sunset walk! The bures were far away enough to avoid the music and enjoy some quiet relaxation time in the evening if need be. Just don't forget your midgey spray - I'd recommend tropical strength!! Vinaka to everyone at Coralview who made our holiday so enjoyable!

Room Tip: The ocean view bures were lovely. I think they are the same standard as the rest of the bures - but...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Coralview_Island, Sales & Marketing at Coralview Island Resort, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Bula fr0ginablender,

Thanks for the kind review.

Very pleasing to read the feedback from your stay and very very excited at the fact you got to experience the Fijian hospitality and the atmosphere that's associated with it. We thank you for choosing Coralview Island Resort as part of your holiday destination.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the near future.

Sales & Marketing.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My husband and I spent 2012 Christmas and New Years at Coralview Resort. We were originally only supposed to stay 8 nights but ended up spending a full 17 nights. The warmth and hospitality of the staff at Coralview made our stay an exceptional one!

Coralview offers a huge range of activities to do. We enjoyed the opportunities to do the Village Visit, Church Trip, Spear Fishing, Cave Tour, Coconut Demo, Lovo Basket weaving, Blue Lagoon snorkelling, Clam Farm snorkelling, Lovo night, Kava night and the Suntan Beach visit (which is incredible!). We also enjoyed extracurricular activities of feeding the pigs and the goats (thanks to Bill!) and also learning parts of the Fijian language! Coralview also has a Dive Centre that offers a range of diving activities.. As first time divers we were apprehensive of diving but the instructor was so relaxed and gave great guidance. After our first dive we were so excited that we decided to do another discovery dive at a place called the "Cabbage Patch". We were wowed and in awe! We saw beautiful corals and a huge variety of fish and plants. We thought we were so lucky. Other guests also came back from deeper dive sights and saw sting rays, sharks, sea snakes, lobsters and puffer fish. We are very keen to one day go back and do our Open Water Certification so that we can do deeper dives and also the famous Shark dive. We think Coralview has great dive instructors and they certainly have excellent knowledge of the area and the animals in it and how to conserve the beauty of the underwater environment.

The accomodation was great and very adequate. We stayed in both the bures and the dorms and we enjoyed our stay in both. The bures were basic and breezy and had lots of space inside and on the decks. The dorms were air conditioned and had partitions between the beds to allow for privacy. We were able to do our washing and the staff provided us with everything we needed and kept everything neat and clean. The bar was well stocked and the cocktails were excellent (especially the Pina Coladas!). The food was tasty and there was always a variety as well as fresh fruit to finish with. The little shop attached to the resort was great for extra items that we needed as well as the delicious cheesecakes, cookies, muffins and lamingtons (made by the pastry chef Kini) that we didn't need but just had to indulge in!

Thank you so much Nicko and all Coralview staff for helping us celebrate Christmas, New Year and a Birthday with roasts, presents, fireworks, cake and beach parties. We made many friends and had a really wonderful and memorable time at your resort. We will be returning for sure!

Vinaka!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bula Kirsty S,

Thanks so much for the review.

It is very pleasing to receive such positive feedback and a perfect holiday it was having spent 17 full nights with us. We will surely treasure the moments we had with the both of you and hope that we will get to reunite in the years to come.

Sales & marketing.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed with 5 friends at Coralview Island Resort for only 2 nights but we could have easily stayed much longer. All the staff are incredibly friendly creating a really welcoming atmosphere! On our first night there they cooked a delicious luvu and following that they put on awesome traditional dancing including fire dancers and fireworks! While at Coralview I really recommend snorkeling at Blue Lagoon and going on the cave swim and a game of beach volleyball with the staff. All activities were amazing and good fun and made the perfect end to our time exploring the Yasawa Islands. I definitely recommend staying at Coralview, you won't be disappointed :-)

Room Tip: We stayed in the 10 bed dorm and it was fine, very spaceous, quiet and clean.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Bula Jess_8923,

Thanks for taking out time to write this kind review.

It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay.
Your feedback is extremely pleasing as we tried to pick up after Cyclone Evan knowing it had damaged the yasawas and also other resorts.

Thanks again for your review and we hope to welcome you back at Coralview Island Resort in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Having been the only guest on the island during the 'Cyclone Evan' I was intially very nervous but all the staff were very friendly and made me feel safe and comfortable and I soon settled in to the island life. I was only meant to stay for 2 nights but the island has such a great atmosphere that I ended up staying for 3 weeks in total and I honestly had the time of my life.
There are so many activities to choose from during the day (I would highly recommend doing your Padi course and shark dive there at the dive shop and also check out Nicko's clam farm on the snorkelling guided tours) as well as great entertainment at night (especially the Kava night and the Cultural Saturday nights) that there is never a dull moment on the island but you can also choose to relax if needed so it has the best of both worlds. The food was amazing with great choices everyday, the staff are all friendly and they all make extra effort to ensure you are happy with your stay at all times and the rooms are very clean and I found more modern then the other islands, being a backpacker also it had everything I needed on the island and more!!
I would highly recommend this island to everyone and was sad to leave, I cant wait to go back soon!!
Vinaka to the Coral View staff for making my stay extra special, Amy Archer :-) X

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Bula Amy,

Thanks so much for the kind review and its always exciting to read that a guest enjoyed his/her stay on the island.

Cyclone Evan hit the Yasawas hard as he passed and although you were the only guest on the island, you were part of our family. We are happy that you decided to extend your stay with us from 2 nights to 3 weeks as you got to experience the Fijian culture and atmosphere first hand.

With that said, we hope to see you back at Coralview Island Resort and hopefully we will be able to exceed your expectations abit more.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed here with my friends in December 2012 and I have to say the most memorable piece for me was the warmth and friendliness of the resort staff..it's genuine warmth and genuine care which was demonstrated when one of my friends developed a nasty rash - one of the resort staff rubbed coconut oil on her to help sooth the itching. The resort does not have a commercialised feel and neither do the staff behave that way which was one of the winning points of this resort. We were welcomed to the island with icy cold drinks and then treated to a great welcome song, very energetic and vibrant and the staff singing that did it with great energy :) The entertainment night was awesome - there were lots of dancing and the staff got the tourists involved and we all had loads of fun!

I enjoyed the food very much - A-MAY-ZING! We had different varieties/options for breakfast, lunch and dinner on the 2 days/nights we were there - lots of options and I have to say foodwise, the best out of the 3 resorts we had stayed at!

The staff are jovial, friendly, very helpful and remember your name which is nice. You are not treated like a dollar sign here.

On the improvements side, the bure we were in needed some renovations/repairs: the mosquito screens were torn and open and the tap in the wash basin was rotating. The room was very clean including the bathroom which was great. The room had a dark feel to it...maybe something to do with the color of the paint...but I loved the ceiling with it's criss cross of trunks...very island feel :)

I suppose given the fact that Cyclone Evan had just visited before us, there were lots of stones/rocks on the beach and I assume it's not normally like this. Also could you put up some more hammocks please?

I enjoyed myself with the visit to the underwater caves, fish feeding in the Blue Lagoon finished with snorkeling and a visit to the giant clam farm - great stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Coralview_Island, Sales & Marketing at Coralview Island Resort, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Bula lcs25,

Thanks so much for taking out time to write this review.

December is always a busy time of the year and no different in the tourism industry. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and grateful that the staff was able to help your friend out with a rash. Fijians are always known to be energetic and helpful and this was well illustrated as you may have witnessed.

Thanks for the kind compliments towards the food and I will surely pass this on to the kitchen staff who work really hard to make the delicious meals. We are also in the process of purchasing new hammocks for more relaxation options and also the room conditions as mentioned.

Thanks again for the review and we hope to see you back at Coralview Island Resort in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I was rather hesitant when my wife decided to join a group of friends (25) of them to celebrate a 21st and New year.We left Port Denarau on Awesome adventure Vessel,and the journey to paradise began.I had sailed through the Yasawa Group some 40 years earlier.Those days it was the Blue Lagoon and Caves and nothing else.Now you have Bures on every Island.I think Tavewa and Coralview standout.With no distractions like TV,and want to relax in the Fijian sun This is the perfect Island. Don and Niko the hosts together with their crew are tremendous people,warm and welcoming.They put on a great NEW YEARS party,fireworks and cultural dances .The guests danced and partied the night away.My wife and I shared a delux bure with our daughter.It had a fan/toilet/shower.Food adequate.For the very they have a cafe and a well stocked Mini Mart.This is a backpacker type resort,but clean,relaxed,and friendly.Its not 5 star, and due to the bore water the bedsheets can be a bit stiff.We loved it and will be back next year.Thank you Niko.

Room Tip: Try doms with A/C
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Bula Anil P,

Thanks so much for the kind review.

Always exciting times having satisfied guests expectations especially coming to the end of another good year and to spend it on an island with friends and family is always a fun time. Thanks for all the positive feedback and we will surely work on the stiff bed sheets to ensure a much better sleep.

Thanks again and we hope to see you back at the resort in the near future.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My girlfriend and I spent 2 nights at Coralview over Christmas 2012 and we had a beautiful time down there. Nice people, clean room, good people to deal with an also, excellent tours option. We drove us to Blue Lagoon for some snorkelling activities and it was just awesome. We highly recommend this resort if you're planning to visit the Yasawas islands.

The only thing I'd like to raise as "poor" is the food, as even when they offer a few options in the menu, it wasn't good enough compared with other resorts we've stayed.

Looking forward to staying there again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bula Piojox10,

Thanks so much for taking out time to write this review and its always a good feeling to read that a guest enjoyed his/her stay on the island.

Christmas is always a special season for everyone and glad to read that your Christmas experience on the island was a good one except the fact that the food was poor. We will look into ways to improve this and promise that it will be better next time round. With all that said, we thank you again for choosing Coralview Island Resort as your holiday destination and hope to you back in the near future.

Sales & Marketing.

Been to Coralview Island Resort? Share your experiences!