“Suggested” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Marina Romea
Paris, France
“Suggested”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

I stayed for a week at the Hotel Columbia. The room was spacious and comfortable, with average-sized bathroom and private terrace.
The hotel is very clean, the employees are friendly and nice. There is also a swimming pool and a sauna but I had no chances to try them.
The breakfast was plentiful with homemade cakes... I also had a dinner, just one time, at hotel restaurant and was very good (I am a vegetarian).

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Kent, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

This is a really friendly and helpful family run hotel, in a great position if you like the sea and nature.
We spent 3 very happy, relaxed days here and wish we could have had longer.
It's a 5 minute walk through the pine forest to the beach where the hotel has sunloungers, lockers and umbrellas free of charge.
It's a 5 minute cycle on the bikes provided free by the hotel, to the southern end of the Po Valley nature reserve. It's all dead flat, so cycling is fun and mostly on cycle paths.
All the staff were so considerate, and on my first morning provided a carrier bag full of gluten free goodies for me to eat.
Every evening they made me a gluten free pasta dish and discussed the night before with me what I'd have as a main dish and for dessert. So, I'd really recommend this place to coeliacs.
If you want culture, Ravenna is about 20 mins away. If you arrive on a Sunday, there's only 2 buses out to Marina Romea, so we got a taxi which was steep at €29. If it's a weekday, they're quite frequent and only €1.50 each.
The room we were first allocated was on the road, and a bit noisy as it was the w/end, but I was shown 3 others and was able to choose a family room with a balcony over the pool. I had this pool to myself every day, which was very clean and pretty with plants around the edges. I can't include photos as I lost my camera in Ravenna!
Otherwise it was a brilliant value for money stay, which I'd recommend to anyone.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

I was here in May '09 for just one night, it was a nice and clean and bright room (on the top level - I think these may have been the more "deluxe" rooms although I am not sure, as the hotel was booked on my behalf by someone else) and they served a good breakfast the next day. The room itself sort of reminded me of a more rustic chalet-style room, with a high ceiling and a view on pine trees outside. I would certainly stay there again if I was in the area.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Stroud, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2007

This is a bucket and spade hotel with tiled floors, pine beds that squeak when moved and very basic 1970's furniture (no, it's not retro, it's original!)

The bars at the windows really added to the Gulag feel of the place.

The heating is efficient, but too hot for British travellers in March.

Small portable TV, no English channels, no tea/coffee, sparse well washed towels and one tablet of soap provided along with 2 sachets of shampoo (the like I haven't seen since school swimming trips in the 1970's) Bed was hard! Plastic chairs inside the room and the hard environment of the furnishings made it very difficult to feel any comfort.

Safety wise, the glass in the 7 foot high balcony doors was single glazed and would definately not come up to English standards, I would be very uncomfortable in this room with a young child. Also the radiators were dangerously too hot for a child running around.

Breakfast was very sweet, only tarts, pastries, buns and sweet croissants. Coffee excellent.

Evening meal was traditional but not that cheap but fairly good quality.

Considering the website's rather rosy outlook of the place I felt let down. I was here for a last minute conference and it was the last hotel left in town (which tells a tale)

I would not return.

• Liked — Lobby area and welcoming staff
  • Disliked — Tired and very old fashioned
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
giuaniz, Owner at Hotel Columbia, responded to this review, June 5, 2009
Dear User JAXGLOS,
I'm Giovanni Gardini, the reception responsible at Columbia Hotel.

The Columbia Hotel was built in the '50s very close to the Marina Romea seaside basically with the purpose of satisfying the families' summer holidays.
The hotel has been transformed and renovated during the last 50 years, according to the economical capacities and the available technologies.
Regarding your critics, that we consider important and that we'll keep in mind for new renovations, I'd like to make some clarifications:
- the hotel beds are not made of "squeaking pine when you move": they have normal metallic net with wooden staves, with an external wooden structure;
- the balconies have vertical bars that can be oriented to let or not the light brighten the room. These vertical bars can be wide opened like a normal window, so it's not like staying in a prison (gulag);
- the heating is settled at about 20 Centigrade, according to the local legislation;
- the tv-set is a 14" bought in 1990/'91: the Direction thinks that the equipment must be used until they work, in order to minimize the impact on the environment. With the same reason, we also have established more measures of energetically savings. The tv-sets we bought in the last years are more up-to-date;
- there's one English channel (BBC);
- in every room there aren't kettle and tea bags because in Italy there isn't this habit and this request. It's possible to have a tea in the hotel's bar, or call the room service from 07:30 to 23:00.
- the courtesy set is adapted to the hotels classification (soap, shampoo, etc...). In according to the EMAS - ECOLABEL certificates, it should be even removed...
- about windows and frames, plastic chair and old furnishings, I agree: as soon as we'll have the possibility to renovate, the furnishings' quality will be increased to the current standards;
- the official hotel website describes and shows with pictures the very reality: there are no touched up photos, we don't exalt the colours, don't cancel details, don't make services up that we don't provide.

We're sorry JAXGLOS did not enjoy the hotel and doesn't think it fits his own standards. The Columbia Hotel is a 3 stars accommodation facility, that gives its services according to its category and to its website and advertising. Moreover, it recently got the I.S.N.A.R.T. quality mark, confirmed in the year 2009.

My personal experience in British 3-stars-hotels, with british standards (in London-Bayswater), has been creepy: room with bathroom, where the bathroom was 1m large, shower, wc and door in the western-saloon style, inadequate measures, sink in the middle of the room, unpolite and unprepared staff. The price was 50 pounds a day in 2005.

The Columbia Hotel thanks for the comments and the critics, both positive and negative, that always takes into account in order to value its quality.

We send our best regards to the Client JAXGLOS, and we thank him for the time he spend to suggest how we can improve.

Been to Hotel Columbia? Share your experiences!