“A bit far out but it's a beautiful trip for a great chocolate!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Skelligs Chocolate Co.

Skelligs Chocolate Co.
The Glen, Ballinskelligs, Ireland
+ 353 66 9479119
Website
Improve this listing
Type: Specialty Shops, Shopping
Placerville, California
15 attraction reviews
“A bit far out but it's a beautiful trip for a great chocolate!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

This was a "surprise" for us from our guide. The countryside/seaside is absolutely beautiful. The ladies at the chocolate factory are sweet and helpful. We were walked through the entire chocolate-making process and treated to samples afterwards. We were surprised that this chocolate factory was even there. . .the road down to it was a single lane road and it's in the middle of nowhere (but it's a very beautiful "nowhere!").

BRAVO ladies, bravo!

Visited September 2013
Colm H, Owner at Skelligs Chocolate Co., responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Hi LarryCooperWyble ,
many thanks for your visit and review.

It is great to hear the 'surprise' was a pleasant one and that the welcome was warm.

We are very blessed with our location, remote, definitely but with amazing character and as you noticed, incredible views.

I hope the rest of your vacation was enjoyable too.

Wicklow, Ireland
“A chocolate experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I had a lovely time with my family! They even let us try out the chocolates :) I had to get a bag of vanilla chocolate! One tip though in the winter they are closed on the weekends. So go monday - friday :)

Visited October 2013
Colm H, Owner at Skelligs Chocolate Co., responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Hi RobertaDTAy,
thanks for your visit and review - much appreciated.

Yes indeed at this time of year it is (unfortunately) not cost effective to be open 7 days a week and we work really hard so the staff need a day or two off.

We will be open from the 15th of March 2014 7 days a week again.

We hope you will get the chance to visit us again when the cafe is open to enjoy a delicious hot chocolate...

Watford, United Kingdom
141 attraction reviews
“A great little stop on our drive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stumbled across this while doing the extended Skelligs drive off the Ring of Kerry. As soon as we walked in we were offered free tastings from a lovely lady behind the counter, which meant we couldn't resist buying ourselves a nice selection to take out with us. It's really interesting to watch how they make their products; I particularly liked the machine making the chocolate footballs! It's great to see the company up and running so well after their original factory was destroyed a few years back (I read that while I was there) and if you are passing by, make sure you stop in for some delicious chocolate!

Visited August 2013
Hi CrashMan47,
thanks for taking the time to visit us over the summer and to send us your Tripadvisor review.

I am glad you enjoyed all aspects of your visit, the tasting, watching the chocolate being made, but I especially hope you enjoyed your chocolates.

I hope the rest of your holiday was enjoyable too.

Limerick, Ireland
“Good on you *****”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

What a lovely place. Went there while on holidays and couldn`t believe how friendly the staff were. We were given samples to taste and were encouraged to watch as the staff produced the chocolate. It is a very unusual factory and a great idea to turn it into a tourist attraction. The chocolate is fantastic, while it is expensive it is well worth a purchase. The little café is beautiful and relaxing. I would advise a visit if you are in the area.
Limerick visitors.

Visited September 2013
Colm H, Owner at Skelligs Chocolate Co., responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Hi Billy R,
thanks for calling into our factory.

We are blessed with an incredible location and fantastic staff.

We have really tried hard to make it as friendly as possible and we like combining the food and tourism elements to ensure all visitors get the best experience they can.

We appreciate the kind words about the cafe too.

9 attraction reviews
“Chocolate. Yum Yum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Some of the best chocolate I have tasted. I tried all their flavours. They were all divine. The staff were interesting and polite. The prices were expensive but worth it since it was so nice. The restaurant was great loved the hot chocolate. After much deliberation I have rated this establishment five stars since it was all divine.

Visited August 2013
Hi Reviewguy12,
I really appreciate your '5 star rating' - we do work hard at the factory, so it is great to see that being appreciated.

I am aware that pricing can seem 'expensive' but we go on the basis of getting the very best ingredients we can and as you mentioned you could taste the difference.

We love the Hot Chocolate too.