What I loved the most was that I could sleep ON TOP of my cottage ... accessible from a ladder - all you do is tell them at dinner you wish to sleep outside and they will set-up a mattress. Didn't want to close my eyes for the incredible sky/stars. I must admit that I gave in to the bugs around 3am and climbed down to my very comfortable bed.
The accommodation is quite nice -- not luxurious but certainly very good. The food was plentiful and I found it quite nice.
Because I was there with a special photographer's tour, all the arrangements were organized with our photography in mind. We set out to the dunes and Dead Vlei at 6am ands had as much time at Dead Vlei as we wanted -- all morning. The guides were knowledgeable and quite friendly. They were very keen to make certain we got the right angles for our photos.
There is total quiet and the stars and being able to sleep under them is a huge plus for this property. I would happily go back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hidden at the foot of the majestic Sossusvlei dunes, a private entrance to Namib Naukluft Park makes Kulala Desert Lodge the closest location to Sossusvlei, while magnificent views of its famous red dunes, mountainous scenery and vast open plains makes it the most spectacular. The camp comprises 23 thatched and canvas "kulalas" with en-suite bathrooms and verandas. Each unit is built on a wooden platform to catch the cooling breezes and has a deck on the flat rooftop where bedrolls are placed for guests to sleep under the stars. The main area, with northern African-inspired décor, has a lounge, dining area, plunge pool, and wraparound veranda overlooking a waterhole. Activities impress guests with the overwhelming magnitude, solitude and tranquility of the desert and include private tours to Sossusvlei, scenic nature walks amd drives to view the desert's fascinating flora and fauna. At extra cost, it is also possible to experience the area on horseback, hot air balloon and eco-sensitive guided quad-biking excursions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your Wilderness Safaris Kulala Desert Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kulala Desert Hotel Namib-Naukluft Park
- Wilderness Safaris Kulala Desert Lodge Sossusvlei, Namibia - Namib-Naukluft Park