This is a medium-sized resort with some 25 bungalows. It is situated close to the Dunes with a perfect view on the sun-set in the evenings. Best to enjoy it on the terrace with a nice sundowner.
The individual bungalows are kind of special. Half the walls are made of concrete, the upper half of canvas - this is probably a good solution with warm temperatures. There is also the possibility to go up to the roof and sleep up there (not in July though).
In the main house there is the restaurant, a bar and several places to relax.
In the afternoon a little snack, coffee and tee are offered. Breakfast and food were good.
After dinner the personnel - almost all of them, from the ranger to the kitchen-aid - gave us a presentation of native songs, really enjoyable.
There is a private gate to the National Park - but, unfortunately, this is reserved for tours only (I think Wilderness Safari), all others have to drive up to Sesriem and then drive down again - some extra 60 kms. On the other hand, paying ab. NAM $ 970,- p.p. for the tour seemed a bit too much. So we had to get up even earlier to be at the gate at 6.20 am., sun-rise. Shortly after, just before dune 345, we saw the people from the lodge who had booked the tour.
Kulala Desert Lodge is very oeco-minded - you even should save the first cold water in a bucket when you take a hot shower! On the other hand, they offer excursions with quads - in the afternoon for a sundowner and in the morning at about 7 o'clock. Great to wake up on the roar of a quad - that is a little minus.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hidden at the foot of the majestic Sossusvlei dunes, a private entrance to Namib Naukluft Park makes Kulala Desert Lodge the closest location to Sossusvlei, while magnificent views of its famous red dunes, mountainous scenery and vast open plains makes it the most spectacular. The camp comprises 23 thatched and canvas "kulalas" with en-suite bathrooms and verandas. Each unit is built on a wooden platform to catch the cooling breezes and has a deck on the flat rooftop where bedrolls are placed for guests to sleep under the stars. The main area, with northern African-inspired décor, has a lounge, dining area, plunge pool, and wraparound veranda overlooking a waterhole. Activities impress guests with the overwhelming magnitude, solitude and tranquility of the desert and include private tours to Sossusvlei, scenic nature walks amd drives to view the desert's fascinating flora and fauna. At extra cost, it is also possible to experience the area on horseback, hot air balloon and eco-sensitive guided quad-biking excursions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your Wilderness Safaris Kulala Desert Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kulala Desert Hotel Namib-Naukluft Park
- Wilderness Safaris Kulala Desert Lodge Sossusvlei, Namibia - Namib-Naukluft Park