This place is perfectly situated being only a few k's down the road from the main gates leading to the dunes at Sesriem as well as the sister hotel sossusvlei lodge and the engen petrol station.
self catering is probably not the best choice when travelling solo however the helpful receptionist sorted me out with al lthat i needed including a large plate of bbq meat and i happily tucked into eland and lamb chops for my first evening meal!.
the camp can also easily organise meals across at the lodge - full all in buffet meal for just over £20 - very welcome after a day trekking up and down the dunes!!
worked out c£70 per night so not cheap but relatively extremely good value compared to the other hotels in the area.
best bit was the view looking directly out onto the local desert and the wildlife - jackals et al - wandering about at dusk
despite the rudimentary appearance on the outside - concrete and canvas - all mod cons inside incl A/C and one of the best showers i have ever experienced - certainly not the normal "dribble" i ususally get!!.
all in all would happily recommend to others who are not expecting 5 star luxury - the view and the facilities more than make up for this!.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Desert Camp is situated only 5 km from the entrance gate to Sossusvlei and Sesriem Canyon in the Namib Naukluft Park. Nestled under centuries old thorn trees, Desert Camp offers an unsurpassed view over the desert landscape and surrounding mountains. The 20 affordable, self-catering accommodation units under canvas are equipped with an en-suite bathroom, shaded veranda with a fitted kitchenette, barbeque, power points and an adjacent parking area. Each twin-bedded bedroom features a fold-out sleeper couch where 2 small children (under 12) can be accommodated for free when sharing with their parents. Facilities at the main building include a fully stocked and serviced bar with big screen television, a sparkling swimming pool and 2 communal boma-areas which are perfect for groups travelling together. Fresh food supplies can be ordered daily at reception. Meals can be enjoyed at the nearby Sossusvlei Lodge restaurant. Exciting desert activities like Guided Excursions to Sossusvlei, Quad Biking, Sundowner Drives and magnificent Scenic Flights over the dunes and coast can be booked at the Sossusvlei Lodge Adventure Centre. A fully stocked shop, fuel and an Internet cafe is available at the Sossus Oasis Service Station. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Jovago.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, EasyToBook, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Desert Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sossusvlei Desert Camp Hotel Sossusvlei
- Desert Camp Sossusvlei, Namibia - Namib-Naukluft Park