My husband and I stayed here with his grandmother who has only admired this place from afar while hiking in the area 30 years ago and dreamed of staying as a guest one day. We didn't even know this when we booked our stay but it turned out that we were making one of her dreams come true and Schloss Elmau definitely did not disappoint. It's nestled in the most perfect Bavarian Alps setting, surrounded by mountain ranges, lush forests, and running springs, complete with multiple trails all accessible by foot from the Schloss. It's like a place straight out of children's storybooks and one can only imagine where the inspirations came from. Upon check-in, we were given a tour by a lovely woman whom we thought must be the most lovely and friendly person working there, but during the next 3 days, we were greeted with equally happy and friendly staff. We actually didn't meet a single person who wasn't friendly and helpful-even the janitorial and housekeeping staff we'd walk by would smile and say hello! At first we were like, is this a joke or is there a film crew behind us with cameras? where else do you find this kind of hospitality in Germany, a place usually known for it's dismissive and lukewarm service? We certainly hadn't up til that point. But the more we learned about the history of Schloss Elmau and the vision of the people who built and reincarnated it, the more it made sense. You can pay people to do their job well, but you can't pay them to be happy while working and show it with a genuine smile. Well, this place has got it figured out and every hotel should take a lesson from them! It's a luxury hotel but there's nothing pretentious, contrived or over the top about it's architecture or decor. Every detail from the simple yet classy furniture and fixtures to the colors and fabrics has been well designed and executed and it's taken care of with much pride and joy yet lacks any attitude. I thought the perfect lighting in every space emanating from the repetition of golden crescent moon light fixtures created a great sense of harmony and serenity.
It's definitely no bargain, but for all the skillfully prepared, presented and served gourmet foods, the daily musical and cultural events, the beautiful and relaxing spa with it's perfectly heated outdoor pools, the exquisitely maintained building and premises in the most gorgeous alpine setting, and most importantly- the gracious people who work hard to give each and every guest a very special experience that won't be easily forgotten made every cent we spent entirely worth it. As for Oma, after 3 days of being treated like a queen and getting her very first foot massage in 88 years, she said she felt 30 years younger. :)
- Also Known As:
- Schloss Elmau Luxury Spa & Cultural Hideaway Hotel Elmau
- Schloss Elmau Luxury Spa And Cultural Hideaway
- Schloss Elmau Luxury Spa & Cultural Hideaway Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Suspending time for body and mind. Get away from it all in an Alpine sanctuary of magical beauty. Feel the spirit of the mountains. Listen to the sound of tranquillity. Be enchanted by some of the greatest artists performing classical music and jazz or meet fascinating authors. Rejuvenate in four spas, offering perfect calm for adults and quality time for families. Chill out in restaurants and lounges enhanced by a passion for service and care. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Splendia, Expedia, Travelocity, Escapio, Orbitz and Hotels.com so you can book your Schloss Elmau Luxury Spa & Cultural Hideaway reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.