“Best honeymoon we could have dreamed of” 5 of 5 stars

5th Night Free in Beachfront
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Saint Mary's
GreenLeadersGold level
Jacksonville, Florida
“Best honeymoon we could have dreamed of”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

My husband and I just returned from an 8 day honeymoon in Antigua (November 16-24), and we spent 5 of those days at Hermitage Bay. Sadly, we had planned to transfer to another resort to "mix it up", and almost immediately regretted that decision. The service, food, and accomodations at the Hermitage far exceeded anything we could have expected, and the second resort we went to could not hold a candle to our first 5 days. We originally decided to change resorts based on the thought that we might get bored at Hermitage b/c it seemed to be so peaceful, low key, couples oriented (based on reviews). While it was all those things, it's not like socializing with other couples and staff was off limits. Every night before dinner we went to the bar early and had cocktails with other guests, which was great. The staff was so friendly and remembered us by name every meal and even when passing through the lobby. It wasn't until the day came to go to the second resort that we realized we weren't even close to being bored, and in fact were so sad to leave!

We stayed at a hillside villa (#21) and the view was spectacular. The pool was always clean, the temperature perfect. We were greeted with a cold bottle of champagne and a fruit platter. Our room was cleaned while we were out and turned down at night. We had breakfast in our room one morning which was wonderful! They were right on time and the food was hot and delicious (as always).

The beach was clean and we were only approached by one vendor the entire time. There was always an open beach chair and having our drinks delivered to us was one of our favorite
luxuries :) The water sports were so fun, and the staff were friendly and outgoing.

We have already started planning our return trip and this time we aren't going anywhere else but the Hermitage!

A big thank you to Mekel, Kevin, Tajah, Rozalyn, Vera, Levique (I am so sorry if I misspell names!). The staff really makes the stay. I cannot express how amazing our time was at the Hermitage, you must go and experience it yourself!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Atlantic Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

My Husband and I first visited Hermitage Bay in December 2012 for our honeymoon. We spent 12 absolutely PERFECT days enjoying the incredible hospitality, food, & views. This review is exceptionally tardy because I could not find the words to accurately describe how wonderful our experience was. From the moment we arrived we were speechless. The staff at Hermitage really know how to deliver an "experience" not just service. The peaceful silence & view while enjoying our freshly muddled arrival cocktails forced both of us to relax immediately.

The staff: the most accommodating and pleasant folks I've ever met! Do you ever get the feeling a request is begrudgingly accommodated with a roll of the eyes? Exactly the opposite here. Every single person seems genuinely happy to go above and beyond to meet your needs. We told them we were going to hike to the hill to see the sunset over the ocean that evening. When we came down the beach, we were stopped by the staff who had packed a bottle of champagne, a bag of sealed ice to keep it chilled, plastic champagne flutes, & bug spray for our backpack. It made the hike & the sunset that much more incredible. On our last night, we asked to have dinner in our villa. What we got was something that blew us away. Rose petals and candles throughout, a luxurious & romantic bath drawn, and a 5 star meal on our verandah. I just can't say enough about the wonderful staff. They made us feel at home. So much so I cried the day we left. :oD

The accommodations: we stayed in villa 36 nearly at the top of the hill. The trek is a steep one but with the amount of food consumed at every meal, we needed the exercise. The villa itself has views people still don't believe are real when I show them pictures. We spent a lot of time in the plunge pool enjoying or lounging with a book on the outdoor couch. The fridge was always stocked with whatever we requested on our ordering card given while you dine for breakfast. It can get pretty warm with the shutters open & air off, but the A/C unit worked well to cool it off when needed. I was a bit nervous about the outdoor shower at first but once I was sure it was completely private, I looked forward to watching the sunset as I showered before dinner each evening. Each villa is landscaped to ensure complete privacy. That said, I think villa 36 is the only villa that has a plunge pool visible from above. The villa above us, 37 could see into our pool. Pictures can be deceiving but believe me you won't be disappointed. Pictures can't capture the beauty of this place adequately.

The FOOD: FIVE STAR!!! Every meal was absolutely delicious. Not your typical "all inclusive". In fact I hesitate to call it that because it does not belong in the same category as the all inclusive cuisine I've had before this. Our normal breakfast at home is coffee on the way out the door. Here we ate breakfast every morning sampling almost everything on the menu. We did the same for lunch and dinner. The cheeseburger of all things is unbelievable. My Husband ordered one every single day as a snack.

We love Hermitage Bay so much we will be returning this year for our anniversary.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

My husband and I had the distinct pleasure of spending a week in Hermitage Bay last year. From the moment we arrived at the resort until we left, we were spellbound by the excellent service, delicious food, top-shelf liquor and awe-inspiring views and decor of our villa (we stayed in one nearest the top with our own plunge pool). The stellar service is summed up by this pretty remarkable detail. My husband and I went paddle boarding on our last day there. A wave toppled my board and before I could grab them, my sunglasses had descended towards the ocean floor. I considered this a small price to pay for such an exquisite vacation, however. After we returned to shore and exchanged the story of the lost sunglasses, the beach attendant (whose name I've now forgotten) asked what I thought was a most ludicrous question, "Where did you lose them?" I pointed way out there and we returned to the villa to prepare to leave. About 30 minutes later, the phone in our room rang to inform us that they had dove and retrieved my sunglasses. I was stunned. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever consider that they could find them, much less that they would search for them. Now that's first class service.

Beyond that, all of the staff we encountered were friendly, professional, and committed to helping us have the best experience ever. We spent the bulk of our time on the beach, and enjoyed a day on a private island with a first class picnic lunch and champagne, packed by the resort. Yum! (We were taken there by the beach attendant and given a cell phone to call when we were ready to return.) My husband also surprised me with a candlelight beach dinner that the resort had lushly prepared and presented. We would return to Hermitage Bay in a heartbeat without reservation.

For our fellow exercise enthusiasts, there were just two minor downsides: abundant jellyfish the size of saucers were everywhere. This is not the resort's fault of course, but the omnipresent jellyfish deterred us from swimming as much as we would have liked. Also minor: though the gym was well-appointed and nice to spend time in (yeah, we're the crazy type that exercises on vacation), the running beds on the treadmills were rather firm. It felt like you were running up hill on concrete. But for cons, that's all we've got.

Hermitage Bay is a gorgeous, luxurious resort that delivers a first-class worry-free respite from the travails of modern life. Just go!

Room Tip: If your budget allows, go with one of the villas at the top of the mountain with a plunge pool. The...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Everywhere
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

This review could go on for pages; this boutique service oriented palatial resort was undoubtedly the best place me and my new bride to have come for or honeymoon. The beauty of the property is only surpassed by the amazing views from every spot u can be on this property. The Staff is the real superstars of HB; from Wendy who has been emailing me for over 4 months to her whole staff each always smiling with personalities that make HB a perfect 10. The food is always changing and chef will adapt to you. You must go see Devon for water sports and take a ride to jolly Barbour. There is never a minute whereby someone won't notice if you we'd anything. We stayed in unit 37 wi if doesn't reach there but that's why we're away otherwise cellular reception and wi Fi are excellent in the main area. The breeze in the morning to the passing shower or two gives u shelter and time to watch nature. Watch out for the birds lol

Live music every night , sunsets rainbows and shooting stars. Ali and I can't thank everybody by name but from Anthony, Zeke, vere,Mekel Vera, all of you add our trip magical. Don't forget to do the cooking demonstration it's worth the hour. The plunge pools are paradise as is the main pool area.

It u want structured activities all day and loud music and bad service and terrible food and indifferent staff "don't come here "

We did use the spa and we thought all treatments we delightful. Some personal tips get to king Roti in St. John it's the best ask ur taxi driver and they will stop or bring to you.

If you like catamaran sailing you go with and only go with Captain Jim and his amazing wife Cherill on Cat Tails 2, just mention Aaron Ali and they to will teach u the seas and create day you want.

Don't forget housekeeping just spectacular.
TV reception great if u want it in room.

Thank you all for making our dreams obtainable.

Good bless You All much Respect

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Having stayed in many excellent hotels over the years, we chose Hermitage Bay to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. We were not disappointed! The hotel was beautifully laid out and the room was comfortable and private. (We stayed in one of the beach villas). The food was excellent and we both put on pounds because it was too good to resist! The staff were charming, helpful and unobtrusive. It was lovely to see humming birds by the swimming pool and various other beautiful birds around the hotel. The beach was clean and well looked-after. The service on the beach was excellent; nothing was too much trouble. We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a quiet, beautiful,relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: We enjoyed being close to the beach, pool and bar and so the beach villas were perfect for us. Howev...

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

This was the perfect place for a honeymoon (late October). My wife and I just spent 5 nights in a hillside cottage (#35). The rooms were fantastic, the food was amazing, and the beach was beautiful. To top it all off the service was extremely impressive They made the trip: Alex, Judith, Jermall, Kevin and Devon (helping with kayaks, boat tours, snorkeling equipment, etc)... ahhhh I wish I remembered all their names to give them all the credit they deserve for making our honeymoon absolutely perfect. I can only hope the owner of the establishment treats them with the same respect they treat their guests with!! Here are some brief highlights and more detail:

Rooms: Extremely clean. They clean your room twice a day (once during day and then once while you are at dinner) There is something special about returning to your room after a beautiful dinner to a nice clean room with the bug net set up over your bed. The AC cooled the room perfectly if that is concern. The outdoor shower was heaven. The Plunge pool was an awesome touch and very refreshing when you wanted to cool off and hang out on your private balcony admiring the gorgeous views.

Food & Bar: We are pretty picky with food and even though I read great reviews, I was still a little skeptical. However, the food was amazing (no exaggeration). The fresh options they had on their weekly menu and their daily menu made every meal delicious. I love seafood and trying new local dishes and they had plenty of that. My wife has food allergy issues and is limited in what she can eat and there were plenty of options for her without us even having to ask! The bar was always fun. We met a lot of other honeymooners that made the bar life a little more lively and fun to grab a drink with post dinner. The bartenders rocked and were great to get to know and show us a good time. The drinks were delicious as well. Good liquor. Not the cheap stuff so hangovers weren't an issue :) Even the local beer Wadadli was delicious, especially in a nice cold glass.

Beach: Beautiful beach. Lounge chairs with table and umbrella available for all guests. The red flag drink service was a tremendous idea. Just another touch that make you realize the owners/staff know exactly how to treat vacationers wanting pure relaxation. It rained for a day and half and it didn't ruin the trip one bit. That tells you something about this place. Swimming during a warm rain was wonderful.

That is all I have for now. This post could go on and on about how great it is here, but you can read all of that in other posts as well (I know I'm forgetting some stuff). I used this site a lot to help plan this trip. I cannot believe there was one single negative review. Anyone who wouldn't love this resort is crazy in my mind.

PS I was told over and over by my wife that I knocked it out of the park by picking this resort so Thank YOU all for the help ;)

-The Mancini's

Room Tip: If you can spring for it, get a hillside cottage. The higher up the better. Yes, you have to walk do...

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I read a ton of review both before and after booking our honeymoon at Hermitage Bay, so I want to address some of the issues I came across during my research.

The overwhelming majority of reviews were positive, there were however a few negative reviews that gave me concern as we were staying for 10 nights and for us that was a pretty big expense. Let me just say that the problems that people expressed in their negative reviews were total non-issues, period. Do not be swayed or concerned by the negative reviews at all, this place is the perfect place to spend your honeymoon or a relaxing vacation with your significant other.

The staff is wonderful, there are so many that left quite an impression on us, Anthony, Vera, Rozlyn, Tajah, Stoney and Jermall. This does not include everyone, but they really will go out of their way to make your trip special. If you have a special request ask, they will do whatever they can to accommodate it.

The food is outstanding, when most people think "all inclusive" they expect mass produced tasteless food, nothing could be farther from what you get at Hermitage. The wines and liquors that are included at no additional cost are wonderful. The menu changes daily, and always offers something appealing. My wife and I would often times order three entrees and sample them all, you definitely will not go hungry here.

There are tons of other reviews that give lots of details on the rooms, beaches, activities, and have explained it much better than I would, so I will not go into detail on that. There is one thing I will mention, I was worried going in that there would not be real air conditioning in the rooms due to the ability for the walls to be opened to the outside. This is not an issue, the AC works very well, my wife and I were able to make the room very comfortable.

The service from the airport is fantastic, we literally got our passports back from the lady at immigration and were approached by someone and asked if we were staying at Hermitage. They took our bags, gave us cold towels and a water and loaded everything into our SUV. There was never a second of worry as to where we should be going, we did not have to find or look for someone, they found us, definitely a plus.

Okay, so there are a few things that are worth mentioning on the negative side, but nothing significant enough to not give this place a 5 star review. First, you would think that for ~$1,500 USD per night (base rates on their site do not include the 22.5% service charge and tax that is applied to most charges) they would not charge you for serving dinner in your suite. To be fair, the charge is not huge (I think it is $40) and some of the suites are a ways up the hill and it is not an insignificant task to get the food up there, but again for what you are paying it was a frustration.

Finally, and this is not a criticism of Hermitage, but something to be aware of. We chartered a fishing boat, had a great time, the captain and his mate are outstanding, definitely worth doing if you enjoy fishing. They will also cook your catch for you when you get back. We caught multiple Wahoo and Mahi and thought we would be taking it back to cook not just for us but for everyone staying at the resort if they wanted any. We got back on the beach only to find that of the two Mahi and two Wahoo, they only gave us one Mahi, mentioning after the fact that the Wahoo was much tougher and that we wouldn't want it. Totally not true, we wrongfully assumed that we would be taking the fish back to be cooked for us. If you plan to go fishing, make sure you get your fish before they pull out of there. Even with that happening, I would still go on the charter again.

Bottom line, great place for a honeymoon, you won’t be disappointed.

Room Tip: all rooms are great, but the higher the number the better the view!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hermitage Bay? Share your experiences!