I read a ton of review both before and after booking our honeymoon at Hermitage Bay, so I want to address some of the issues I came across during my research.
The overwhelming majority of reviews were positive, there were however a few negative reviews that gave me concern as we were staying for 10 nights and for us that was a pretty big expense. Let me just say that the problems that people expressed in their negative reviews were total non-issues, period. Do not be swayed or concerned by the negative reviews at all, this place is the perfect place to spend your honeymoon or a relaxing vacation with your significant other.
The staff is wonderful, there are so many that left quite an impression on us, Anthony, Vera, Rozlyn, Tajah, Stoney and Jermall. This does not include everyone, but they really will go out of their way to make your trip special. If you have a special request ask, they will do whatever they can to accommodate it.
The food is outstanding, when most people think "all inclusive" they expect mass produced tasteless food, nothing could be farther from what you get at Hermitage. The wines and liquors that are included at no additional cost are wonderful. The menu changes daily, and always offers something appealing. My wife and I would often times order three entrees and sample them all, you definitely will not go hungry here.
There are tons of other reviews that give lots of details on the rooms, beaches, activities, and have explained it much better than I would, so I will not go into detail on that. There is one thing I will mention, I was worried going in that there would not be real air conditioning in the rooms due to the ability for the walls to be opened to the outside. This is not an issue, the AC works very well, my wife and I were able to make the room very comfortable.
The service from the airport is fantastic, we literally got our passports back from the lady at immigration and were approached by someone and asked if we were staying at Hermitage. They took our bags, gave us cold towels and a water and loaded everything into our SUV. There was never a second of worry as to where we should be going, we did not have to find or look for someone, they found us, definitely a plus.
Okay, so there are a few things that are worth mentioning on the negative side, but nothing significant enough to not give this place a 5 star review. First, you would think that for ~$1,500 USD per night (base rates on their site do not include the 22.5% service charge and tax that is applied to most charges) they would not charge you for serving dinner in your suite. To be fair, the charge is not huge (I think it is $40) and some of the suites are a ways up the hill and it is not an insignificant task to get the food up there, but again for what you are paying it was a frustration.
Finally, and this is not a criticism of Hermitage, but something to be aware of. We chartered a fishing boat, had a great time, the captain and his mate are outstanding, definitely worth doing if you enjoy fishing. They will also cook your catch for you when you get back. We caught multiple Wahoo and Mahi and thought we would be taking it back to cook not just for us but for everyone staying at the resort if they wanted any. We got back on the beach only to find that of the two Mahi and two Wahoo, they only gave us one Mahi, mentioning after the fact that the Wahoo was much tougher and that we wouldn't want it. Totally not true, we wrongfully assumed that we would be taking the fish back to be cooked for us. If you plan to go fishing, make sure you get your fish before they pull out of there. Even with that happening, I would still go on the charter again.
Bottom line, great place for a honeymoon, you won’t be disappointed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ~ Conde Nast Traveler 2015 Gold List Winner ~ The quiet, independently owned Hermitage Bay is comprised of just 27 luxury cottages so that "even at its busiest, the place seems remote and quaint." Whether visiting for the first time or returning as a friend, you'll enjoy a welcome familiarity and "sensation of belonging" from the moment you arrive. Tucked into a beautiful bay in one of the most secluded corners of Antigua, it is perfect for those seeking to escape the hustle and bustle of city life. Spanning 16 acres of lush tropical gardens, our eco-chic, luxury hotel provides all the comforts of a 5 star resort without compromising the natural habitat that thrives around it. Our open-air facilities, extensive beach and detached rooms allow you to unwind in isolated luxury. Each of the 7 Beachfront and 3 Garden Suites features a spacious split level lounge and patio, while the large wrap-around decks and private plunge pools of the 17 Hillside Pool Suites afford the added luxury of soaking up the Caribbean sun from the privacy of your own sun bathing deck. Whether enjoying lunch by the pool, dining in the beachfront restaurant, or having breakfast in bed, every meal feels privately catered. The menus change daily and feature freshly squeezed local juices, locally grown produce, and organic ingredients. At Hermitage Bay, all dishes are prepared to order, special requests are encouraged, and we are always happy to help with dietary requirements. Non-motorised water sports are included and a shuttle service to and from town and Shirley Heights is available for an additional charge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Splendia, Priceline, MrandMrsSmith, Odigeo, Expedia, HotelTravel.com, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your Hermitage Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hermitage Bay Hotel St. John`s
- Hermitage Bay St Johns
- Hermitage Bay Antigua, Antigua And Barbuda