“Heaven on Earth with a staff to match it” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
7th Night Free from May 1
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Saint Mary's
Birmingham, Alabama
“Heaven on Earth with a staff to match it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I had no idea places like Hermitage Bay really exist. I had sticker shock when I first paid for the trip but it was well worth every penny. I have never been so relaxed and spoiled in my whole life. Being in a tropical paradise with gourmet food and top shelf drinks for a week was amazing but the staff was what made the trip top notch. Vera always took care of us with a huge smile. Levique, Alex, Anthony, and all of the other bartenders always knew what we needed to drink and kept us company if we were not ready to call it a night after the bar closed. Several of the "buggy" drivers would also stay after their hours to make sure we made it up to our villa safely. Allison worked the front desk and guest relations with extreme professionalism. She made sure check-in, check-out, and everything in between was zero stress on us. We were interested in hearing some local music so Allison and her husband went well out of their way and accompanied us to a pre-festival concert at The Lion's Den. That concert was the best night we had on the island and will always be grateful to Allison and the staff for arranging that evening and making sure we had a great time even off the resort. I would highly recommend paying the extra charge to have breakfast brought to your room in the mornings. It was well worth $18 to eat breakfast on the balcony, relax in the plunge pool for a couple of hours or take a nap on the outside sofas, and then call for a buggy late morning to spend some time on the beach, main pool, or bar the rest of the day. Renting Sea-doo's (water bikes) was a fun way to explore the island and Catamaran Sailing Antigua with Wayne & Lara (sunset booze cruise) is a must as well. I would also recommend not being shy and always asking if you want something. Most likely, they will make it happen. We made lots of great friends (locals, Americans, and Europeans) and lots of great memories on our trip. I highly recommend and will be visiting again one day…next time during the main festival.

Room Tip: Definitely get a room with a pool
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

My husband and I went here on our Honeymoon (like many other guests there). We stayed in room 33- a hillside pool suite with a beautiful view. It was really, really lovely from the get go. They greet you with cold, almond scented wet towels and a virgin mimosa- quickly followed by a mimosa with some kick if you ask for it. There are over 90 staff employed by the hotel which accommodates a maximum of 50 guests- so there are generally two staff members for every guest at the hotel. This explains the personal attention and pampering.

Everyone knew our name, they remembered to approach us or call our suite during the day to ask us what time we would like to eat dinner; the chef heard that I am interested in the culinary arts, so he asked me back to the kitchen during dinner service for a tour, and upon my own request, he invited me back one afternoon to see the fisherman bring in his catch. The pool attendants are amazing and you barely have to lift a finger before they bring you whatever you need. I got sick while we were away and we needed a doctor- all of the staff knew that I was feeling under the weather and made sure that I was treated with care- not in a nosy way- just in a way that made me feel a bit better, because being ill on your honeymoon is really a bummer. the nights are quiet- if you want a party, go to the sandals as this is not your place. But we did meet some other fun couples and there were a few blurry nights with shots and dancing etc. Generally the atmosphere was not stuffy, although some people did walk around with their noses in the air.

The staff adapts to the vibe you give off. My husband and I are a really relaxed, laid back people, and we have no appreciation for snobbery- so no one called us Mr. or Mrs. and they felt comfortable joking with us etc. Some guests, however, like to be treated with a bit more reverence and the staff is very responsive to that.

The rooms are incredible- with really comfortable beds, fluffy feather pillows, an absolutely enormous tub, a completely private outdoor shower, and a plunge pool that makes you want to just move-in permanently at whatever cost. The outdoor portion of our suite was surrounded by flowering plants and vines. humming birds came and went constantly throughout the day, and often little birds like finches or doves came and took a little bird bath on the edge of the plunge pool. There were also tiny peeper frogs that chirped at night and lulled us to sleep.

You can open the doors to your suite so that it becomes open air. Literally- almost a whole wall opens up, its amazing. We had room service a few times- there is an 18 dollar surcharge for the delivery, but drinks are brought up for free, and the minibar is also included.

here was the one downside: there was some kind of construction going on in the middle of the afternoon for a portion of our 8 night stay and that was irritating as it disrupted my mid-afternoon sun-baked nap. I have to say though- when that is your biggest concern, life is pretty good.

Room Tip: Higher suites are worth it, the pool suite is definitely worth it in my opinion! We were in room 33...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

My husband and I travel for business most of the year so when we want to take a vacation, we want to be pampered but also left alone to just relax and unwind. We found the perfect location in Hermitage Bay! Not only were we pampered, but I have certain food allergies which were catered to at EVERY meal as well as EVERY staff member knew our names, etc. This level of personal service just really doesn't exist anymore these days. This was our second trip to Antigua and our third resort that we stayed at and we will be returning again and again to Hermitage Bay.
Sondra and Duncan Lear

• Stayed February 2013
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Firstly and foremostly, our week at Hermitage Bay was ABSOLUTELY made by the staff that work there. Never before have we had a family trip (and we go on a lot!) where we were made to feel totally welcome by every single member of staff.

The holiday started with a trip from the airport in a lovely air-conditioned jeep, with a driver who pointed out all of the Antiguan sights on the way to the hotel.

Upon arrival, we were treated to a lovely cocktail, check-in was seamless and we were on the beach within an hour, cocktail in hand!

The food (all-inclusive) was incredible - breakfast, lunch and dinner. Always so many options, and always the chance to try some local cuisine, as well as the fruit and vegetables grown in the hotel's garden. The restaurant staff were immaculate - Vera runs a tight ship, while still managing to balance bottles of wine on her head and do a Caribbean dance at the same time. Kempton, Roz, Gillian and the rest of the staff in the restarant were outstanding. Great service with a smile, and always happy to laugh along with us. The dinnertime entertainment was also lovely - with something different every single night.

We spent a lot of time in the bar (as it did rain quite a bit) and the bar staff are friendly, quick and always happy to help or fulfil a special request. Special mentions must go to Levique who kept us entertained with his colourful stories and spent all night dancing with mum when no-one else would!

The beach staff on brilliant - always at your side with more drinks, towels - there was no need for the red flag - they were already there. Anthony was brilliant and so helpful, happy to help us move from the beach to the bar to the pool etc.

We tried lots of the activities including Yoga and Pilates, Sailing, trips to the garden with the wonderful Kempton.

We had two rooms, one up on the hill and one down on the beach. Those staying up on the hill didn't even use their pool as they loved the atmosphere that the staff created down on the beach and by the pool!

We would love to come back and visit - and the main reason would be the staff. There were lots of honeymooning couples who were there when we visited, who clearly wanted to keep themselves to themselves but the staff really thrived on interaction, and we really feel that our holiday was enhanced by that fact. We were so sad to say goodbye to everyone on our last day - and hope we get to go back soon so we can see them all again.

Do take a trip to Hermitage Bay - you absolutely won't be disappointed.

Thanks again,

the Lloyd family!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
new york, new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We chose Hermitage Bay because we like the worry-free aspect of all-inclusives, but hate the larger cheesy resorts that typically fit that bill. Hermitage is only 37 bungalows (2 to a room), so never feels crowded. You never have to fight for a chair at the beach or wait for a table at dinner and you always get the feeling that the staff if there to cater exclusively to you. In fact, beach service is exemplary. You've hardly plopped your bag down before your chair is made up and an ice bucket with water is brought to you.

The clientele is 90 pct late 20s & 30s couples (children under 15 are actually not allowed) with a few older couples. I expect this is mostly b/c of the layout of the hotel, which is built up the side of a hill and require a hike up and down to get to. A few huts sit beachside - these rooms are larger and more central, but less private and do not include a plunge pool. While golf carts will happily drive you up and down to the hillside suites, most of the time you feel silly waiting for one and just forego that service - though one or two late nights it was greatly appreciated. Despite some previous reviews, it's completely doable for people in minimal shape.
In fact the hillside setting of this hotel is not a drawback - it is really what makes it superior. It has that feeling of being in tahiti, and the balinese decor of the rooms and overall architectural style of the hotel certainly lends to that feeling. They are placed carefully to allow the maximum amt of privacy for each suite. As for the interior - I heard one couple say the room wasn't quite as luxurious as they expected. It's true - they are not "plush" in the style of an urban or upscale vegas hotel. The furniture and bathroom are wooden not granite and stone... there is no down top bedding ... and there is a mosquito net. But honestly, that's in the style of the hotel. I think it's supposed to feel rustic - like you've escaped to an untouched paradise- while simultaneously providing all the typical comforts at your fingertips. You can completely open the screened doors so that you are in an open air room. That is special. We ordered breakfast in our room. Well worth the $20 surcharge. We heard some people did that every day. In general the food was superb - and though I read a previous review say his wife's dieting was all in vain- I actually found the ingredients and portion-size to be unusually healthy. I am a pescatarian and there was more than enough choice for me to indulge and the chef was very adept at making small changes. Every morning, a different organic fresh-squeezed juice was offered (watermelon, 3 melon, soursop, coconut. Mmmm!) I will especially miss the almond-scented ice-cold towelettes provided before each meal, prepared with almonds crushed from the very tree facing the restaurant.

The boutique, while overpriced, has a really well-picked assortment of nice bathing suits and jewelry. The buyer/owner has excellent taste and I was very tempted. ;) Of course nothing is actually made on the island, not in the boutique or in the baskets of the women who occasionally walk the sand peddling (all the beaches in antigua are public so you can't avoid this, though thanks to the very secluded setting of this hotel that does not seem to be an issue at all), but nothing in the Caribbean ever is. Their main industry is tourism. For that reason we saw no need to go into "town" (St. Johns). From what we heard, it is the same as St Martin, St. Thomas, etc - a complete dichotomy of very high end stores and crappy souvenir shops. Except for a rainy afternoon activity, what's the point.

Our one complaint was that a nice bottle of wine we ordered from the separate a la carte wine menu was not stored properly, rather served warm, and you could tell it had been for quite some time. On saying something we were told "well, Caribbean room temperature is warmer than room temperature elsewhere." Considering the cost of the rooms and therefore what is probably a mostly upscale clientele who knows the difference, this is unacceptable. We did not complain but definitely knew not to order the more expensive bottle we had planned for another night.

There's not much going on at the hotel at night. Though there is entertainment every night from 8:30-10:30 and you can find one or two fun couples typically to socialize with at the hotel's bar, otherwise it's rather sleepy. However, since this is a particularly romantic hotel - that doesn't seem to be a problem with most couples - who will slip away after dinner to their private plunge pools. Though this was not our honeymoon, I'd imagine this to be an ideal honeymoon resort. It is not ideal for baby moons, cause the walkways have too much potential for a slip and fall.

Room Tip: hillside suites are more private and have plunge pools. The higher # the suite the higher and better...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Lugano, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Overall the best hotel i've been! There are places in the world that are even more beautiful, hotelrooms even better amenaged, hotelrestaurant even better, chice of beverage even richer, but not in the same place! We got a free upgrade to a seefront cottage: huge room, wonderful furnished, perfect floor( i often wake up during night and don't like to disturb my husband) coffee ( grinded, best quality with a percolator) a marvelous place outsid to sit, read or just look at the see). But the real plus are all people working there! We came without luggage, in the late evening: half an hour later a somptous dinner was ready in our room, the next morning, at brekfast we were greated by our names, and everybody was supportive, knowing that our luggage was still missing.

Room Tip: Some cottage are on a hill and a bit difficult to get in, if you have walkingproblems
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

It is hard to review this hotel without expressing the quality of the staff but I will try and give a good overview:

Transport from the airport wasn't quite as smart as suggested - I think being as we took a while to get through customs we were left with a big van car thing with plastic bags covering the chairs wasn't great. The road to the venue is a little bumpy but the scenery on route is great

Location - we were on our honeymoon so we wanted something with great views and scenery in a quiet spot - couldn't have got better - this isn't a venue to pop to town from - you are alone with the other guests and just how we wanted it. Being perched on a hill you get amazing views too! Nice beach not amazing sand but lovely place to sunbathe

Rooms - we had the top room - suite 39 so the view was out of this world however it meant quite a trek to the top - you should not go here if you have trouble getting about (unless you have beachfront room) we had our own little pool - was much bigger than expected great sunbathing area - massive bath and an outdoor shower - great telly for new husband to watch uefa cup final on - loads of channels for snuggly film nights - pretty great if you ask me

Service and all inclusive - I can probably say this is the best service we have received and have travelled to some amazing places around the US and Caribbean as well as most of Europe I think I've had a good lot to compare - all staff remember names drink orders they ask you about where you have been today if you mentioned about a tour you were doing they would remember the next day and ask how it went - the bar staff were great - one night we made friends with other couples and they opened after closing time (11pm) and made us special shots and cocktails dancing and laughing - the good is also amazing only one restaurant not much choice but all amazing and I am a fussy boring eater but I loved it and actually made me try new things!

It's pretty hard to criticise this place - I would say if you want super chilled break in a small resort with great service and amazing food you can't go wrong - this isn't the place for partying hard and staying up till 2am - everything is pretty closed from 11pm

Again amazing staff cannot say enough to compliment them - defo worth a visit!

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Hermitage Bay? Share your experiences!