This resort offers an incredibly relaxing vacation. Where to start...the resort itself is gorgeous. I would strongly recommend spending the extra money and getting a hillside suite. The second you walk into your private bungalow you will forget about what you spent. The outdoor space is at least as large as your room. The plunge pool is larger than I assumed - at least 10x10 - and offers an incredible view of the Caribbean Sea. My wife and I were in #23 which is one of the lower units but still high enough. Two outdoor sitting areas and an outdoor shower (large and beautifully enclosed with foliage) were impressive. The bedroom had a very tall ceiling with a mosquito net that cascades over the bed. Finally, the bathroom is quite large with a separate tub that sits next to a large window that opens to face the ocean. I don't want to spend too much space repeating what has been said on this site many times but here is what I would recommend:
Take John's nature walk around the hills that adjoin the resport. It takes you to a few secluded beaches and will give you a greater appreciation of Antigua - John is part guide, historian, and comedian. Snorkel. There is a reef that runs parallel to the shoreline (about 20 feet off the beach) and even my wife who cannot swim was able to enjoy it. Appreciate how genuinely nice the people who work their are. There is no expected tipping at any point but a sincere thank you and $10 or so to some of your favorites will be much appreciated. Be ready to eat. Many all-inclusive resorts will offer small portions of varied quality. Here I had an ample cut of Beef Wellington, Lobster tail, etc. The chef is phenomenal as the high quality of the dinners were equaled by the breakfast and lunch. Try something different. My wife and I did the 1 hour yoga class and loved it.
A few negatives: Nothing that they really can do but the mosquitos are an issue. While the canopy over the bed is romantic the fact is that it is also practical. As has been said by many others the beach is shelly which really is a minor issue. I wish they had a full lounge area with a gas fire wall to relax in and enjoy the live music at dinner. Other resorts also have large two-person hammocks just off the beach - this would be appreciated.
These all pale in comparison to the long list of positives. As points of comparison, my wife and I have been to Sandals Royal Bahamian and The Veranda (Turks and Caicos) - both all-inclusives - Hermitage Bay easily beats Sandals and edges out The Veranda.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ~ Conde Nast Traveler 2015 Gold List Winner ~ The quiet, independently owned Hermitage Bay is comprised of just 27 luxury cottages so that "even at its busiest, the place seems remote and quaint." Whether visiting for the first time or returning as a friend, you'll enjoy a welcome familiarity and "sensation of belonging" from the moment you arrive. Tucked into a beautiful bay in one of the most secluded corners of Antigua, it is perfect for those seeking to escape the hustle and bustle of city life. Spanning 16 acres of lush tropical gardens, our eco-chic, luxury hotel provides all the comforts of a 5 star resort without compromising the natural habitat that thrives around it. Our open-air facilities, extensive beach and detached rooms allow you to unwind in isolated luxury. Each of the 7 Beachfront and 3 Garden Suites features a spacious split level lounge and patio, while the large wrap-around decks and private plunge pools of the 17 Hillside Pool Suites afford the added luxury of soaking up the Caribbean sun from the privacy of your own sun bathing deck. Whether enjoying lunch by the pool, dining in the beachfront restaurant, or having breakfast in bed, every meal feels privately catered. The menus change daily and feature freshly squeezed local juices, locally grown produce, and organic ingredients. At Hermitage Bay, all dishes are prepared to order, special requests are encouraged, and we are always happy to help with dietary requirements. Non-motorised water sports are included and a shuttle service to and from town and Shirley Heights is available for an additional charge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Hotels.com so you can book your Hermitage Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hermitage Bay Hotel St. John`s
- Hermitage Bay St Johns
- Hermitage Bay Antigua, Antigua And Barbuda