We spent two weeks in Antigua for my fathers 60th birthday. We were in fact staying at Carlisle Bay (which was absolutely fantastic). During our stay we had promised ourselves a special meal at Curtain Bluff. Famed for its wine cellar and fine cuisine we thought we were in for a real treat.
The reality was:
- Dreadful service
- A set meal at $100 p/p with a very limited choice of pretty poor dishes
- Red wine delivered freezing cold
- An incredible wait for desert (which was only chocolate ice cream!!!)
- A 'wedding band from hell'
In my opinion this place represents a Caribbean resort completely trading off its reputation. Hotels such as Carlisle Bay (just next door) are hot on their tail. Add to this the numerous options that holiday-makers now have in the Far East & Indian Ocean I am not sure the future for Curtain Bluff is rosy.
In terms of price this place is attempting to compete at the highest levels and in my opinion is failing terribly. I am sure it has a loyal audience but I can only assume they have not looked at whats on offer these days for that price!
I will concede that we did not stay there or visit the rooms but I am sure we saw enough. In fact meeting the owner on leaving the hotel was enough to tell me how they had got to this state and where they were heading.
They have a good position with quite a nice beach, however I think someone who knows what they are doing needs to buy this place and give people back some value for money and compete on a world stage again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Flanked by water on both sides, Curtain Bluff sits on a rocky promontory (bluff) that juts into the sea between two beautiful beaches. One is calm, ideal for swimming and watersports; the other beach is washed by ocean surf. 72 Rooms and suites, all with staggering seascape views, are spread out along the Surf Beach and up the bluff. There are two restaurants: the open-walled Tamarind Tree serving breakfasts and candle-lit dinners, and the Beach Cafe & Bar, where barefoot-casual lunches are enjoyed one step from the sand and a few feet from the water's edge.The resort's exceptional facilities include a championship tennis center, a fully equipped watersports center (scuba, Windsurfing, paddle-boarding, waterskiing, Hobie Cats and kayaks), a squash court and fitness center. When it's time to relax, there's our tranquil spa overlooking the sea, a beachside swimming pool, a beach bar, and hammocks swaying in the shade of coconut palms.With the exception of a few above-and-beyond luxuries (Cuban cigars, vintage wines, spa treatments), everything is included in the room rate, making it one of the best values in the Caribbean. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Jetsetter and Venere so you can book your Curtain Bluff Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Curtain Bluff Hotel Bolans
- Curtain Bluff Antigua
- Curtain Bluff Resort Antigua, Antigua And Barbuda