We decided upon Curtain Bluff as the destination for our honeymoon on the back of the reviews on Tripadvisor and we are so glad we chose it. From the very moment we landed the service was excellent, the hotel organised a taxi to pick us up from the airport which arrived very promptly and took us on the 30min transfer to the hotel. Antigua itself is very beautiful.
Once we arrived at the hotel the service was as you would expect from a luxury hotel, we were offered cold towels, a drink and our bags were taken from the taxi to our room. The check in service was plain and simple and within no time we were ready to take a look around our new home from home. We weren't disappointed, the hotel was as we expected and were liked our room, we maybe would have preferred one a bit further up the Bluff (we had Room 59) but it was still a very nice room. Note, the rooms up the bluff all have a number of steps to get to them so if you are looking to book one of these then bear that in mind.
The instructors we had Junior, Jensen and Bush were all very good there are around 5 different dive sites around Curtain Bluff and they do diving every day between 9-10 unfortunately this is the only time they do it, but for us this worked fine was a great way to start the day. The sites themselves are good, not the most amazing sites to dive ever but definitely not the worst and tie this with the fact we saw loads of fish, lobsters and even managed to see a shark, a turtle and a sting ray all in all excellent scuba diving made even better by the instructors themselves.
My wife and I hadn't done this before, so we had 2 lessons with the instructors and then went out on our own as well, was great fun and definitely something to do if you get chance
Once again all the instructors we had on this were excellent and by the end of it I had managed to get up and stay up as well, so that is testament to the Guys but once again to have this included and allowed to do it as much as you like was fantastic.
We found the food to be excellent, whilst we were there (and I believe it does change) the breakfast was from an al a carte menu and you could order everything from fruit platter, full English to pancakes. We would recommend the banana pancakes and the eggs benedict (not together....) both were excellent! But it all seemed very good and as always the service was excellent.
The lunch menu was also very good, this was a hybrid of an al a carte menu which didn't change but had a wide range of things on it like club sandwiches, burgers etc to the buffet selection which was a big salad bar and then a mix of BBQ chicken, fish with various other main choices eg. chicken curry. Overall the lunch menu was fantastic and probably our favourite meal of the day.
For dinner once again it was an al carte menu although it was fairly limited in choice, and tended to be fairly similar from day to day although they do have 2 restaurants with the Sea Grape one being open 3 or 4 nights a week and this provide a good alternative. Although in both the food was good, we didn't find it had the wow factor we maybe be expected, but as mentioned the food was still good quality.
Obviously all the drinks are inclusive apart from the wines on the wine list, I found the beer very good and my wife found the spirits to be very good as well including Grey Goose Vodka which was nice to see. A lot of the spirits that some hotels would charge a premium for were included, which was very refreshing to see. The only slight negative was we found the house white and red not to our taste, but that could be more us then anything else, the Rose on the other hand was very good.
Overall one of the massive plus points for Curtain Bluff is the overall service and this is from every member of staff you meet in the resort all the way from Chelle as the owner through all the various members of staff they are all very helpful and always have a smile on their face and happy to help. The attention to detail was very good, and the general level of service was the best we'd come across in our travels.
As mentioned we had room 59 and found this to be a very good room, although maybe would have liked one further up the bluff but only because the views get even better. The size of the room was very good, the bed itself was a good size and we had both a shower and a bath. The one negative on the room front for us was getting the mini bar stocked up, it seemed to take a number of phone calls to make this happen and to be honest I would expect someone to notice what we had drunk, and therefore liked, and re-stock that but a very minor point.
If booking a room on the Bluff and if you're Ok with steps ask for one as high up the bluff as possible, although all the rooms seem to be very good from listening to other guests. Overall recommendation if you're reading this review and therefore looking to book Curtain Bluff would be to just do it, we did the same thing and didn't regret it one bit in fact would recommend it to anyone and would love to return at some point in the very near future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Flanked by water on both sides, Curtain Bluff sits on a rocky promontory (bluff) that juts into the sea between two beautiful beaches. One is calm, ideal for swimming and watersports; the other beach is washed by ocean surf. 72 Rooms and suites, all with staggering seascape views, are spread out along the Surf Beach and up the bluff. There are two restaurants: the open-walled Tamarind Tree serving breakfasts and candle-lit dinners, and the Beach Cafe & Bar, where barefoot-casual lunches are enjoyed one step from the sand and a few feet from the water's edge.The resort's exceptional facilities include a championship tennis center, a fully equipped watersports center (scuba, Windsurfing, paddle-boarding, waterskiing, Hobie Cats and kayaks), a squash court and fitness center. When it's time to relax, there's our tranquil spa overlooking the sea, a beachside swimming pool, a beach bar, and hammocks swaying in the shade of coconut palms.With the exception of a few above-and-beyond luxuries (Cuban cigars, vintage wines, spa treatments), everything is included in the room rate, making it one of the best values in the Caribbean. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Tingo, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your Curtain Bluff Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Curtain Bluff Hotel Bolans
- Curtain Bluff Antigua
- Curtain Bluff Resort Antigua, Antigua And Barbuda