“Everything you need for a perfect vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Save up to 50% Off!
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Saint Philip
San Bernardino, California
“Everything you need for a perfect vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

My family and I just returned from our first trip to Antigua and an all inclusive resort in May, needless to say the Verandah was everything you would expect and then some. What makes the Verandah so special besides the beautiful location, is the staff, their warm smiles and thier eagerness to please.

Room Tip: While most would seek a water front verandah, I recommend a water veiw in the area of 245 & 246...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

2,034 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (680)
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

My 78 year old Mother and I have just returned from the Verandah. We have been to other resorts (St. Lucia, Barbados,Bahama etc.) so we have some experience for comparison. There is no doubt that the Verandah earns its 5 star rating for two reasons. First the staff is the best I have ever had the pleasure to deal with and second the grounds/landscaping of the resort is first class. Two things you must see and do......eat at Nicole's and take the island land tour with Elmo.
What a great vacation!!

Room Tip: Stayed in room 242.....excellent choice for elderly Mom who needed to be within walking distance of...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Fantastic,brilliant,great,fab,marvellous a few words to describe The Verandah!
My husband came back a few days ago and we haven't stopped raving on about it to all our friends and family. If you want to chill out and relax this is the resort for you. We stayed in a waterfront room (161) and couldn't have asked for more, the room was big and airy, yes the bed was firm but no different from the bed we have at home so we slept really well. We were a stones throw away from the main pool, bar and restaurants so didn't have far to stumble 'home' after a few cocktails! The food was great especially breakfast, loads of choice and variety, lunches were great too loads of choice from hot meals, to pasta, to make your own sub rolls, you really couldn't go hungry, if you didn't fancy buffet, the beach bar and grill had loads of tasty dishes on throughout the day too. Dinner was a themed buffet night, all tasty dishes, and desserts to die for, ( we always checked what the desserts were first!) We ate dinner at the beach bar and grill a couple of times and can highly recommend the local fish mahi mahi or dolphin fish which was absolutely delicious and so was the ice cream. We always made sure we were around for afternoon tea aswell, a selection of teas, iced tea and coffee with little sandwiches, cakes and homemade cookies yum! Cocktails were scrummy and alcohol was not scrimped on, you could certainly taste it! Evening entertainment mainly consisted of bands, however Tuesday nights the steel band Sticks & Fingers played, they were fantastic!
We ventured out of the resort, and our transport was always on time and the drivers were all lovely, we can highly recommend the helicopter tour, stingray city and the zip line/canopy tour.We also did the resort walk to Devils bridge which was a short walk, well worth doing as you learn about the history of the place. We did go into St Johns one morning, now unless you like being badgered by vendors/strangers then give it a miss unless a cruise ship in, as you get pounced on by all and sundry wanting you to look/buy their wares. We were there for about 2 and half hours and probably didn't see more than 50 people!
The beaches at the resort are very different, the quiet beach is ideal for sunbathing or having a drink at the bar, but not for swimming there is just too much sea grass, such a shame really as it is a really nice beach. The sports beach is great, quite shallow but great if you get yourself a 'pod' and just float round.
The staff are great!!! Everyone of them, all had a friendly hello or wave for you and would engage in conversation with you and make you feel welcome and like you were an old friend! We celebrated our 11th wedding anniversary whilst out there and after coming back from a trip out we had a bottle of sparkly and a romantic towel decoration on our bed waiting for us! Such a lovely touch.
We cannot understand some of the negative reviews of this place, we simply couldn't find anything to moan and groan about, we will hopefully be going back next year with our 2 young sons as we are certain they will enjoy it as much as we did!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My fiance and I visited the resort in November 2012 and had high expectations since a family friend had stayed a few years ago and recommended it.

I've been to many Caribbean AIs and I was looking forward to Antigua especially since my fiance's family is from there.

I'll start with the positives. The actual resort is breath-taking! The grounds are well maintained and beautiful. The resort is spacious and there were plenty of chairs at the beach and the pool area. It's nice the it's not a typical hotel but mini-cottages in a duplex style.

Now to the downside. Given that this was a vacation, I always try to make the best of it because let's face it, I could be back at work, right?

Internet in rooms - even though this was advertised as being in some rooms and my fiance had called the resort to confirm it was available and request a room with internet two weeks' prior to our arrival, when we got there we were told our room did not have that availability nor could they switch us. We were told to check back the next day to no avail, again and again, until finally it was time to go home. Normally this wouldn't have been a problem but due to my fiance's work he needed to be plugged in.

In-room safes- aside from check in being a complete disaster, when I asked for a lock for our safe (no keypads here) we were told they were out of locks?? How do you not have as many locks as you do safes? We had to leave our valuables out until a lock became available days later.

Food - this was a MAJOR disappointment for me. Unfortunately, they cater to the mostly British crowd there and neglect to have any sort of Caribbean flare to their food. Part of the pleasure of visiting the islands is the flavourful food. The food was sub-par garbage, in my opinion. The pizza was thrown into a buffet trough instead of on a pizza tray thus becoming a meshed up mess instead of a slice. I've had better pasta from Chef Boyardee than what was on their pasta bar. Overall, a huge disappointment here. Gordon Ramsay would have had a field day ripping apart the presentation/taste/quality of the food served here.

Hospitality - this was another downfall for me. Rated as 4.5 stars they should really bring their service level up to at least 3 stars. Rude and dismissive doesn't even begin to describe this place. The tip of the iceberg was when I was waiting for a cab in the lobby and asked to have some of the fruit juice for incoming guests. I was told by the attendant that the juice is for incoming guests only. Excuse me? Did I mention this was an all-inclusive? I don't care if I'm incoming, outgoing etc. I'm a guest and hotels generally accommodate guest's requests. So basically I have to walk back down to the bar to get some juice?? This place needs to be trained by some of the hotels in Jamaica.

Overall, I was disappointed and will definitely not be going back. We were planning on getting married here in August 2013 but decided against it based on our experience.

I did leave all these comments and more for the manager upon check-out and was never contacted so they obviously don't care about repeat business.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GuestAmbassador01, Guest Relations Manager at Verandah Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us at the Verandah Resort & Spa. We value guest comments as a way to continuously improve the vacation experience.

We host hundreds of guests every week, the vast majority who tell us both in online reviews and forums and guest satisfaction surveys that they thoroughly enjoy all aspects of the resort with special emphasis on our gracious and friendly staff.

We are sorry that you were not happy with your stay. Please take the time to read the other very positive reviews left by recent guests and know that we are always working to maintain our usual high levels of guest satisfaction.

Antigua is a fantastic island for a very full, authentic Caribbean holiday experience and The Verandah Resort and Spa provides a perfect setting for an island retreat
cardiff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

As with all the other 5 star reviews, the service, food, cleanliness, rooms etc were all great, but what makes The Verandah special is it's location. The grounds are amazing, set in tropical gardens and real well kept. The wildlife all around is beautiful. If you appreciate nature, and the Caribbean, then this is the hotel for you.
It is on a large plot and well laid out, so you can find peace and quiet if want it, of make use of the many facilities the hotel offers at other times.
We spent 11 nights here and attended a wedding, which was really well organised. It is a perfect venue, as our party ranged from 4 years to 60 and everyone of us had a fantastic time and thought it was the perfect place for a wedding.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
San Miguel de Tucuman, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We got married at the verandah on the 16th May. We had an absolutely wonderful day. We were really taken care of thanks to Larissa our co-ordinator.

All the staff at the verandah are fantastic, especially Lincoln & Laurie who we were also delighted to have met during our stay. Others I remember are Chesaney(hope that's right) & Vera. But there are also many others whose name I don't remember!

The food was excellent. We went to Bucaneers & Nicole's. Nicole's in our opinion is definitely worth a visit for the service & the food as is Bucaneers & Bucaneers is st no extra chsrge! Sea breeze is also good,the food in all restaurants is to a high standard. We ate in beach bar & grill a little. It's great for lunch during the day. Fab view.

This resort has something for everyone,families & couples alike of all ages. We travelled with our 2 year old & she enjoyed as much as us & also made a few friends which was great.

The entertainment was also really good. We'd love to return in the future & would definitely recommend to others.

• Stayed May 2013
Laguna Niguel, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Antigua: beautiful blue/green waters surrounding a small (14 miles at it's widest) + lots of nice people. Everything we (Americans) would normally buy was very expensive I noted, I'm guessing because it's imported, but there are no other options. So, don't forget any essential items since you will pay 8.00 US dollars to replace a deodorant in the gift shop! Want an ice cream bar? That will be $5.00 for one bar. Sticker shock, you bet!

Eating here: most of the food was good to just alright. Michelle, a hostess, give me a big smile every day & that helped to start the day well. They serve @least 100 + a day & most staffers work very hard here. Food is buffet style, although they advertize a la cart items in their printed materials. I asked about them & found that that is only for kids. At night there is a carving station (for vegetarians this is an upsetting sight: baby roasted pig being carved!) that turns into an omelet station in the am. One thing I have to comment on is that we pre-paid $250.00 per day for food & drink & there is no way we ate or drank anything that would total that even with inflated resort prices. If you drink all day I guess it would be worth it. For others, not in that category (like us), it's seems ridiculously high priced & we won't be returning for that + other reasons. If they had a food charge only option & if you want to drink you can chose a plan for that, it would seem more fair but if you think about it, we were paying for all the help (plus some of those big drinkers) not the food. Nicole's was good, but again not great although I have to say they had a singer doing Nat King Cole recordings who was phenomenal.

Driving on Antigua: the roads are littered with potholes so big they can take up half the roadway which are no bigger than 2 lanes, mostly with no plans for fixing them in sight! There are also homeless, wandering, hungry dogs & that really upset us!! PAWS & other groups are trying to help (please donate if you can) but there is limited space to house them & with islanders unwilling to spay & neuter their pets, it's an uphill battle even with inexpensive, donor related options. I saw one Rastafarian man (which you see everywhere here) laying on a wall, while a hungry looking dog wearily stood next to him & it really angered me to think he couldn't be bothered to give the poor dog something to drink & eat while he enjoyed his lazy existence! From what I was told by locals: dogs are treated as less than even a farm animal & I'm sure are hit by cars every day as a result. You can also see dead cows on the roadways & goats & more because they graze right next to the road. So be very careful if you decide to drive & maybe opt out if you get nervous easily or the thought of driving on the left frightens you!

The Resort: nice, about a 3 star in the US, but a 4 star in Antigua. There are more upscale places for sure. They have small beaches (that we're mangrove filled shallows, that we're filled in with sand) as another reviewer noted, but nice with gorgeous looking water. No great snorkeling from what we saw since the coral on the island has been damaged. For a nicer beach experience: there is a great looking beach as you turn right, when exiting the resort & drive to the end of the short road, which is very walkable. There you will find Jet Ski rentals, shopping, eating, more resorts, bars etc. Verandah is more of a family oriented type place with mini golf & a sort of Disneyish vibe. So, singletons may opt for the other beach although one of the things that stood out for me on the island is that there is almost no police presence (I saw 1 police car while spending an entire week on the island) compared to what we'd see in the US. As a result, the resorts all hire lots of security personnel & have razor wire around some properties. I asked islanders about this & was told that it used to be that they could leave their homes for the day & not lock their doors, but this ended some time ago. So yes, their is crime on Antigua & it all made me feel a bit wary as a result. Of course I was reassured that their was nothing to worry about, but still, I wasn't feeling super carefree on my vacation as a result.

Excursions: go to their travel desk & Janice will do a great job helping you. We toured the island with Elmo & he was truly wonderful, kind, patient with all our questions & just great in general. We also did the eco tour with Nicky (not sure of spelling) a female marine biologist who studied in California & truly enjoys her job. We were taxi's (no air con & exhaust filling the inside of his van) to another beach on the island about 30 minutes away, where a cat picked us up & spend about half the day being told about different areas, then snorkeled to our hearts delight. Watch out for sunburns though!! I have olive skin & was burned so badly (even with zinc oxide on my face & suncream other areas) very badly & had to stay out of the sun for the rest of the trip as a result. I recommend you bring your own aloe vera just in case!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for an ocean front. We had ocean view & had 2 large palms obscuring it!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Verandah Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!