“We keep coming back!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hermitage Bay

You added Hermitage Bay to your Saves list
Hermitage Bay
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   PO Box 60, Bolans, Saint Mary's, Antigua   |
Special Price
20% Off Christmas Week
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Bolans
Edmond, Oklahoma
“We keep coming back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

We have stayed at Hermitage Bay twice now and will definitely be going back in the future. We love this place! We are very picky when it comes to our vacations because we don't get to go very often. This resort has it all. Seclusion, excellent food, the best mojitos you will ever have, and great staff/service. We felt like family when we came back for the second time. I can not stress how wonderful the staff is, they are really great people. The food is first class. Personally I enjoyed the fresh squeezed fruit juices every morning and the delicious soups of the day. When we went deep sea fishing we caught a mahi mahi. We brought it to the chef and he prepared it for us that evening which made us feel very special. It was delicious!!! Everything about this place is magical. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: We like the hillside cottage, excellent views!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

We spent in Antigua 6 days of our honeymoon: Hermitage was exactly what we were looking for!
Quite, descrete, peaceful and beautiful!
The weather wasn't easy but we had a lot of relax anyway!
Great cousine, every evening a new group singing (wonderful, descrete and very good!).
Beach and see perfect, you can have fun with boat trip and so on.
The bar was perfect, every place was clean ad good.
We sow both rooms: the hillside and the frontbeach! Both wonderful. Clean, large and useful.
It's the perfect place for you if you're looking for relax and privacy. There was not loud music or clowns, and we appreciated it!
We will be back as soon as possible!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

A superb location. exclusive and Idylic. Totally chilled but with great service. Enjoy a unique and beautiful resort with great staff who always have a smile ! All inclusive with high quality food and premium drinks including champagne.Beach very quite with sunbeds and service to your bed with cold face towells, chilled drinks whenever you need it.... Highly recommended as a special holiday !

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Stamford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I booked my honeymoon at Hermitage Bay last May and have pretty much stalked the Trip Advisor site since then reading reviews. My husband and I just returned from our trip so now I finally get to write my own review!
I have not stayed at a 5 star resort before - we really broke the bank for this honeymoon - so keep that in mind when reading my review.

The resort itself is very beautiful. You can tell that a lot of thought was put into the building of this hotel in order to maintain the natural beauty of Antigua, in particular the surrounding hills and the bay itself. The pictures on the website are in my opinion very representative of what the hotel actually looks like. We ended up staying in 2 different suites during our 10 night stay, suite 36 and then suite 20. I will say that suite 36 was far superior to 20 in terms of the view. Had we not been able to stay in 36, I might have been slightly disappointed with the view for the amount of money we paid! The suites themselves are pretty amazing - the outdoor living space was probably more than half the size of our apartment in Stamford, CT. The day bed was really comfortable and we spent a lot of time just reading and relaxing in the sun. My only complaint would be that our sun deck and pool in suite 36 did not really get any sun so we really weren't able to use the deck (we did still use the pool even though it was pretty cold...after walking up from the beach we always worked up a sweat and it was great to jump in the pool). The sun deck in suite 20 got a bit more sun. The bathroom is huge, as is the tub, and I took several baths while I was there. I also really enjoyed the outdoor shower - the view from the shower in 36 was fantastic! Housekeeping did an excellent job with our room and we did not have any issues with mosquitos or bugs in the room. We slept under the mosquito net which they set up for us every night, but we probably didn't really need it. I brought ear plugs upon reading other reviews and I would definitely recommend this - my husband and I slept with them every night. The tree frogs are actually pretty loud....at first it's kind of nice but it would have kept us up without the ear plugs. We did also hear waves crashing on the beach which was amazing, but those little tree frogs overpowered it! So earplugs are a must in my opinion.
So that brings me to the discussion of the bugs on the resort. There are a lot of bugs (also keep in mind that I am terrified of bugs so other people might not feel this way). But with the natural beauty of the resort and all the plant life and beautiful flowers, it would be impossible not to have bugs. So I didn't really mind. The only thing I minded was the one tarantula that we saw on the path down to dinner - this was after it had rained a bit and apparently the rain brings out the spiders (I unfortunately learned this too late). After that experience, we took the golf cart down to dinner. If you are afraid of bugs, don't let that deter you from staying at this beautiful resort. It is DEFINITELY worth it and if I can do it, anyone can. No one else seemed to mind the bugs and the staff at the hotel probably thought I was insane for how afraid I was.
So that brings me to the staff - who are wonderful. They all get to know you and make you feel so welcome, as if you are one of the family! I'd also point out that if you'd prefer to keep more to yourself, the staff seemed like they were able to sense whether you wanted to talk or be left alone, so either way I think you would have a good experience. We enjoyed talking to the staff at the bar and in the restaurant.
Now on to the food, which is why I picked this resort in the first place. Food is extremely important to me and my husband and while we love all inclusive resorts (yay drinks!), we have never had a good experience with the all inclusive food. The food at this resort is VERY good. I had one of the best ribeye steaks of my life for dinner one night, and we have eaten at steak houses in NYC where they charge $70 for a ribeye steak. They had duck frequently, which my husband always got, as well as lamb, chicken, quail, and quite obviously fish! We often got 2 starters and 3 entrees so we could taste everything (they will give you all 5 entrees if you want!). The portion sizes are small enough that you can eat an appetizer and entree, but they aren't too small where you are still hungry after. We didn't have dessert much as we are not dessert people. We ate the blackened fish burger from the bar menu for lunch nearly every day - even though it wasn't on the lunch menu they made it for us. They were very open to modifying the entrees to suit your needs and they would probably make you pretty much anything you asked for if they had the ingredients on hand. One night my husband and I smelled curry cooking while we were lying on the beach, and when I ran into the chef later I asked if curry would be on the menu that night. He said they were actually cooking a curried chicken for the staff's dinner, but he told me he would save us some and sure enough they gave us a portion that night for dinner along with our other entrees (it was incredible BTW!). The food is fresh and you can really tell they put a lot of effort into it. The garden is beautiful and well maintained and I would recommend touring it. Now, is the food the best food I have ever eaten in my life...of course not. But I came in with pretty high expectations and they were met (to slightly exceeded). I would also comment that the choice of wines by the glass is excellent, in particular the Chianti (Marchese Anitnori) and the Malbec. We drink A LOT of wine so we were very pleasantly surprised by this great selection. The cocktails are also all delicious and they will make you whatever you want.

I feel as though this review is already probably too long....so I will cut myself off. The resort is expensive, but it is beautiful in a very understated way and I would absolutely recommend it. I would imagine that the people who are unsatisfied are looking for an entirely different experience to what Hermitage offers. If you want peace and quiet, naturally BEAUTIFUL surroundings, a private villa with great amenities (bath products were excellent), and delicious food and drinks, I don't think you could go wrong here at all.
If we could afford it, we'd go back consistently!!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Excellent overall. The beach-front cottages (aka Suites) were handsome, in a colonial style. Large – approx. 70 sq. m. Our choice – be beside the beach. Hillside suites were smaller, but there each has a mini-pool. Food and service a constant delight. Innovative, often local, dishes, with enough choice – but not too much. All “included” wines good, e.g. Champagne, Sauvignon Blanc and Chianti. Cocktails (alc and non-alc) superb. Good water-sports included. I went snorkelling and (separately) sailing in a Hoby-cat. Staff amazing – cheerful, helpful and friendly – always. Quirky but fun – the bathroom and the outdoor shower. Negatives? The beach has a reef close to shore and care is required in swimming over/past it. . A few planes overhead each day. Surprise? Because there are only 25 couples, it is easy to become friendly with others. Antigua has many attractions, esp Shirley Heights on Sunday nights for steel and reggae band fun. St John’s interesting – esp. fish and veg markets and Museum. But the HB resort’s delights likely to keep most residents captive.

Room Tip: We stayed a villa on/by the beach and would choose it again. But the ones on the hillside had their...
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

We cannot thank the staff at Hermitage Bay enough for their kindness and constant attention during our New Year holiday. The staff are all outstanding and love working there which is so clearly because the management is so good. Our Beach Villa was beautiful, very clean and nicely furnished. The food was amazing at all times and again the restaurant staff were very proud of the standard they provide.
One morning I was greeted by one of the gardeners - I replied asking him if he was having a good day and his response was " of course I am, I am working in paradise". We will return of course.

East Grinstead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

I was lucky enough to spend two weeks with my family at Hermitage Bay in the run up to and including Christmas. The reviews that I had read had set my expectations very high in so far as what to expect ... and i can genuinely say; "not only were they easily met but constantly exceeded."

So what was it like? The hotel is definitely in the super-smart boutique hotel category ... the suites are very comfortably sized and luxuriously appointed in an understated "high-quality" natural way ... ours had a plunge pool (which we used daily as it was so hot and sunny there), a beautifully large balcony with sun-beds and day beds and the most amazing views. It's hard to get a sense from their website how breathtakingly beautiful it really is - it's not just the idyllic 'paradise' location - it's in the care and attention that has been put into maintaining the gardens clearly by someone who has a keen eye on looking after and being at one with nature.

The main hotel has an open plan feel to it which helps make life extremely effortless in getting around generally. The bar is very relaxed, the pool large enough for 'lengths' and kept at the perfect temperature. The food lived up to its gourmet status with lots of choice each day - there was something for everyone. We were a party of 5 which comprised of my husband, my two children 16 and 13 and my 84 year-old Mum!! The staff were very friendly and helpful and genuinely interested in our well being. You cant help but get onto first name terms with everyone as they make you feel so special and cared for - it was unlike any experience i have had staying in other 5 star hotels ... it's familiar but always professional, one of those things that needs to be experienced to be fully understood and it helped to make it a very special holiday for us all (thanks again to all of you - you know who you are). Attention to detail was superb and every need met in a thoughtful and sometimes delightfully unexpected way. Holiday Highlight: playing cricket on the beach on Christmas day - guests v staff (apparently it's a tradition there).

All in all - it was an unforgettably wonderful 2 weeks ... my children are already badgering me to make it an annual Christmas event ...!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hermitage Bay? Share your experiences!