“I'd like to bbe there now” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hermitage Bay

Save Saved
You added Hermitage Bay to your Saves list
Hermitage Bay
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   PO Box 60, Bolans, Saint Mary's, Antigua   |
Offers & Announcements
Hotel Direct from $1182
Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Bolans
Lugano, Switzerland
“I'd like to bbe there now”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Overall the best hotel i've been! There are places in the world that are even more beautiful, hotelrooms even better amenaged, hotelrestaurant even better, chice of beverage even richer, but not in the same place! We got a free upgrade to a seefront cottage: huge room, wonderful furnished, perfect floor( i often wake up during night and don't like to disturb my husband) coffee ( grinded, best quality with a percolator) a marvelous place outsid to sit, read or just look at the see). But the real plus are all people working there! We came without luggage, in the late evening: half an hour later a somptous dinner was ready in our room, the next morning, at brekfast we were greated by our names, and everybody was supportive, knowing that our luggage was still missing.

Room Tip: Some cottage are on a hill and a bit difficult to get in, if you have walkingproblems
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

545 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

It is hard to review this hotel without expressing the quality of the staff but I will try and give a good overview:

Transport from the airport wasn't quite as smart as suggested - I think being as we took a while to get through customs we were left with a big van car thing with plastic bags covering the chairs wasn't great. The road to the venue is a little bumpy but the scenery on route is great

Location - we were on our honeymoon so we wanted something with great views and scenery in a quiet spot - couldn't have got better - this isn't a venue to pop to town from - you are alone with the other guests and just how we wanted it. Being perched on a hill you get amazing views too! Nice beach not amazing sand but lovely place to sunbathe

Rooms - we had the top room - suite 39 so the view was out of this world however it meant quite a trek to the top - you should not go here if you have trouble getting about (unless you have beachfront room) we had our own little pool - was much bigger than expected great sunbathing area - massive bath and an outdoor shower - great telly for new husband to watch uefa cup final on - loads of channels for snuggly film nights - pretty great if you ask me

Service and all inclusive - I can probably say this is the best service we have received and have travelled to some amazing places around the US and Caribbean as well as most of Europe I think I've had a good lot to compare - all staff remember names drink orders they ask you about where you have been today if you mentioned about a tour you were doing they would remember the next day and ask how it went - the bar staff were great - one night we made friends with other couples and they opened after closing time (11pm) and made us special shots and cocktails dancing and laughing - the good is also amazing only one restaurant not much choice but all amazing and I am a fussy boring eater but I loved it and actually made me try new things!

It's pretty hard to criticise this place - I would say if you want super chilled break in a small resort with great service and amazing food you can't go wrong - this isn't the place for partying hard and staying up till 2am - everything is pretty closed from 11pm

Again amazing staff cannot say enough to compliment them - defo worth a visit!

• Stayed May 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Nothing is too much trouble at The Hermitage Bay. The staff are friendly, attentive, and helpful. Having visited twice in 6 months I think that says it all. We have visited many 5 star hotels in cities and resorts and this is unique in offering exactly what it advertises in words and photographs. Difficult to single out team members tbut Vera is a legend, Levique has a style, laugh and smile that cheers any day. And Anthony,... what a star. if you want top class service with relaxed charm and a genuine desire to make your holiday special this is the place,. If you want sterile, impersonal and starchy this may not be the place for you. I love it and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
andysinging, Owner at Hermitage Bay, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear LMM25

Thank you very much for your review and we're all delighted that you decided to come back so quickly. All members of staff see all the reviews so thanks for mentioning a few of the team here.

We look forward to welcoming you back shortly.

Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a 10 night stay at Hermitage Bay. It was first class.

When we arrived at the airport in Antigua we were whisked through customs by a Hermitage Bay representative and outside offered a cold flannel and cold drink and then driven to Hermitage Bay by the lovely Winston. He even phoned the hotel en route to say our arrival was imminent. We were checked in promptly and shown to our suite which was fabulous. We particularly liked the (very private) outside shower - it was back to nature with a twist of luxury.

Everything about this resort is top class. The staff (who cannot do enough for you), quality of food, drinks, location, beach and general maintenance of the hotel were superb. I would add it is probably the cleanest hotel I have stayed at.

I hope one day we will be luck enough to return, because for us Hermitage Bay is ...... simply the best.

Room Tip: Choose a beach front suite if you don't fancy a trek up the hill to a hillside suite - although...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I cannot recommend Hermitage Bay enough - other reviewers have described the views and environment, so I'd just mention that everything is absolutely as described and pictured on this and Hermitage Bay's own website - yes, it is THAT beautiful, and it completely fulfilled my expectations of a quiet break but with every luxury you could wish for. I loved starting the day with a dip in the plunge pool, maybe some yoga, then an outdoor shower (visited by a friendly hummingbird a couple of times), delicious breakfast, a dip in the calm waters of the bay, then sun-bathing in the privacy of the villa .... well, you get the picture.

For me, what made Hermitage Bay stand out from other locations is that they have got the balance right between taking care of you and leaving you to your own devices if that's what you are looking for. The atmosphere is laid back and relaxed, the staff - all the staff - are friendly, welcoming and genuinely interested in you, and can't do enough to help. I travel a lot, and this is surprisingly rare. They all seem passionate about what they do - I had a personal tour of the organic garden with John, and he was so enthusiastic about how much food they grow and how delicious it is.

It does make a difference that numbers are limited, and that villas have been cleverly spaced up the hillside. I never felt overlooked, and the views were amazing - I stayed in a hillside villa and would recommend them - the higher up the hill the better. I found it no problem to trot up the steps, but it's no problem to get a lift up by buggy.

The food is wonderful - I decided early on just to go down for breakfast and dinner to avoid piling on the pounds! Breakfast is leisurely and there are plenty of options, from those you would expect, to some local dishes (delicious Antiguan 'chop-up', made from all those organic garden ingredients!). The dinner menu changes nightly with a choice of at least four options for starter, main and dessert. The wine list is excellent, and the house wines included in the tariff were much better quality than I expected.

I travelled alone, looking for a chance to switch off from a busy lifestyle. Travelling solo can be tricky - will you stick out like a sore thumb? will you be treated like an oddity? will you be surrounded by honeymooners?. Be reassured if you are intending to go alone, that Hermitage Bay falls into none of those categories. I felt very relaxed and couldn't have felt more welcome. I enjoyed peacefully hanging out in my villa, but felt just as comfortable going down to the bar for a pre-dinner drink (try the Tea Punch!), and going into dinner on my own. Dinner for me, by the way, is the real test - I've stayed in lots of places where it's just too uncomfortable and I've ended up doing room service throughout - I picked Hermitage Bay because that was an option, but ended up going down to dinner each night.

A couple of reviews from around the same time as me (mid-April) mentioned the rain - a couple of days were a bit wet, but mostly this was just a five minute cloudburst, or during the night. I didn't think it was a big deal - and expected some showers from checking out weather sites before I booked. Yes, some rain came in under the door out to the outdoor shower and puddled on the bathroom floor, but I felt it was a small price to pay for the greenery surrounding every villa and feeling part of the natural environment.

In summary, I loved Hermitage Bay - and I'm a difficult audience. I travel a lot with work, and on holiday I actively seek out places that will feel nothing like the typical hotel environment - this fitted the bill completely.

Room Tip: Hillside suites enjoy more privacy and fantastic views - well worth the extra money.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

We are currently staying in a hillside pool suite ( number 32) and wanted to write about our amazing stay. I have been fortunate to stay in several luxury hotels due to my job in travel however I have never been somewhere so chilled, with attentive staff and such high quality food. The staff greet you by name, the choice of wine and champagne included is excellent and Nothing is ever too much trouble.

Don't hesitate just book this piece of paradise for your next trip and you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed April 2013
andysinging, Owner at Hermitage Bay, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Lauram1124

Thank you very much for your feedback and your wholehearted recommendation to others to book us. I am delighted that you are enjoying your stay. Keep taking those photos :)

Seal Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed in the suite (38) with the "blue tarp" over it referenced in an earlier review. Our first time here was sadly diminished by unexpected heavy rains that made hours in the sun impossible, the use of the plunge pool undesirable and to wake up with the floor of the bathroom flooded at 3AM really not part of the agenda! It took us a good hour to wipe up the water, positoin trash cans to catch the multiple leaks, but when we reported the situation the next morning, the blue tarp was installed, although doing so required us to stay out of the room for about three hours. But, really, how do you know if your rook leaks until it rains? Later that day I got hit over the head by a beach umbrella that heavy winds had lifted into the air! Weather this week was truly unusual and certainly not the fault of the resort!

But- let's talk food-not even one meal that could be considered average, for they were all far and away above that. Truly excellent cuisine. The staff-these people could make you enjoy life in a quonset hut in he middle of the desert, they are that good, every one of them! The beauty of the place-even in the rain just incredible. Night time entertainment showcased some very talented people. And the steps up to the suite? They are for the hearty, better to take the walk down, let them drive you up, having never waited more than 5 minutes for the cart to do so.

Only sour note; between the leaks and the umbrella, a "really sorry" or some type of icentive to return would have been welcomed. But even without that, we will be back.

Room Tip: The hilltop rooms are more private and scenic
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
andysinging, Owner at Hermitage Bay, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Dbcb711

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that the enjoyment of your stay was diminished by the days of heavy rain and a leaking roof. As you are no doubt aware, the buildings are all made of wood and we use wood shingles (walaba from Guyana) on the roof. Prior to your stay we had had an unprecedentedly dry spell of weather and this causes a lot of movement as the wood, and particularly the shingles, dry. The problems only come to light when it rains heavily again and the wood swells and we get some leaks. These leaks have now been repaired and we are using a new approach which we expect to solve this issue once and for all.

I am sorry that you felt that we did not handle these issues well enough and I would be delighted if you would give me the chance of making amends by emailing me at andy.thesen@hermitagebay.com.

Owner

Been to Hermitage Bay? Share your experiences!