Having just returned from 2 weeks in Hermitage Bay I can only say that those who consider it to be "paradise" have just taken their first holiday,or are " easly impressed"
Without a doubt, the views are incredible and the staff ARE fantastic but what about being eaten alive by mosquitos and sandflies and being stung by jellyfish every time you enter the water.
Let's be realistic - it's great having a hillside cottage - the privacy, the plungepool - but to share it every morning for upto 2 hours with the maid service? - one day we had no fewer than 6 people in and out of the room/pool & patio area for one reason or another - then the phone rang about 4 times - not for us, for the "room ambassador". Ladies - don't bother to take nice clothes or high heel shoes - you would never be able to walk in them from the hillside cottages to the restaurant - in any case, there is no dress code in force at this hotel - regularly shorts and flipflops were worn in the evening - which is a shame, as I believe most people would like to dress up to go out for the evening - that's part of the holiday. Don't get me wrong - we quite enjoyed the walk to and from the room as, to be honest, although the bay is beautiful, it is small and you can walk from one end to the other in 5 minutes.
On a positive note, the meals were generally excellent (apart from one which was absolutely atrocious - must have been cook's day off) and the service of the waiters and waitresses and bar staff was faultless - but I must say, expect it to be a lot slower than you would normally be accustomed to at home - but then we are on holiday and have plenty of time,and actually there is nothing else to do.
The watersports staff are fantastic - friendly, helpful and always willing to assist a beginner - but the activities so limited. There is no waterskiing even though this is advertised as being inclusive in the Kuoni brochure. We must say the beach staff were really great and saved my sanity.
The concept of this hotel is excellent - small and personal - certainly no queuing for sunbeds/drinks/meals here. The accommodation is large but even in the early days is in desperate need of repair - the woodwork needs re staining, the vanity unit is dreadful not a good quality and already looks shoddy, paint coming off the walls, the wardrobe door practically fell off - but I must admit it was repaired promptly - again, the staff make this place - from the maintainance man to the gardener.
We would have liked some entertainment in the evening. It's all very well reading War and Peace during the day but in the evening, after a lovely meal, we would like to hear some music or be entertained - not just until 9.30 pm with, let's face it, on some occasions by what seemed to be some amateur from down the road. Surely with the amount being charged for this holiday they could have afforded some reasonable entertainment.
It is a shame, but I do not think that this hotel with survive without much improvement. I could put up with the biting/stinging wildlife and the occasional rain showerthru our roof, the hike up to the room, the long wait for the meals - but for the price paid for this holiday I expect luxury and Hermitage Bay is a long way off from achieving that. We paid for ultimate luxury but this is far from it.. Have loads of photos and any questions just E Mail us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The quiet, independently owned Hermitage Bay is comprised of just 27 luxury cottages so that "even at its busiest, the place seems remote and quaint." Whether visiting for the first time or returning as a friend, you'll enjoy a welcome familiarity and "sensation of belonging" from the moment you arrive. Tucked into a beautiful bay in one of the most secluded corners of Antigua, it is perfect for those seeking to escape the hustle and bustle of city life. Spanning 16 acres of lush tropical gardens, our eco-chic, luxury hotel provides all the comforts of a 5 star resort without compromising the natural habitat that thrives around it. Our open-air facilities, extensive beach and detached rooms allow you to unwind in isolated luxury. Each of the 7 Beachfront and 3 Garden Suites features a spacious split level lounge and patio, while the large wrap-around decks and private plunge pools of the 17 Hillside Pool Suites afford the added luxury of soaking up the Caribbean sun from the privacy of your own sun bathing deck. Whether enjoying lunch by the pool, dining in the beachfront restaurant, or having breakfast in bed, every meal feels privately catered. The menus change daily and feature freshly squeezed local juices, locally grown produce, and organic ingredients. At Hermitage Bay, all dishes are prepared to order, special requests are encouraged, and we are always happy to help with dietary requirements. Non-motorised water sports are included and a shuttle service to and from town and Shirley Heights is available for an additional charge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Tingo, Expedia, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Hermitage Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hermitage Bay Hotel St. John`s
- Hermitage Bay St Johns
- Hermitage Bay Antigua/Bolans