“Enjoyable Relaxing Holiday” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jolly Beach Resort & Spa

You added Jolly Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Jolly Beach Resort & Spa
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bolans Village, Bolans, Saint Mary's, Antigua   |
Special Rate
Save 55% - Spring Sale!
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Bolans
surrey England
“Enjoyable Relaxing Holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

I can't believe my husband and I stayed at the same resort as some of the other people in these reviews. We stayed for a week and now been back a week - wish we were still there in that lovely sunny resort. I have heard that resort ws tired but they have been painting it up and it looking good .Resort is about 30 years old I think Our room had been recently decorated and was lovely - clean sheets and towels everydaywhether requested or not. Nothing was too much trouble for any staff. Charlie mixes mean cocktails at the pool bar. My husband and I had a lovely time and came back fully refreshed. Food was good. Yes restaurants were limited on their menus but you couldn't fault the food. Buffet was a good choice and varied whether it was for Breakfast lunch or dinner. We both put on weight and now struggling to get it off! Pool was lovely and relaxing plenty of shade either under an umbrella or the palm trees. At the end of the day you get what you pay for. This is a 3 star All inclusive hotel with a lot of people to cater for. It was good value for money. We would certainly go back there If you want more upmarket go to Sandals and pay the prices! Would certainly recommend the Catermaran trip with Virgin - excellent Local buses great fun and cheap and locals very friendly and love to chat with you so recommend this rather than booking shuttles. (PS A celebrity was at the hotel when we were there - good enough for them good enough for us)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (684)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

Great location to relax and enjoy the sea sun and food, where most of the guest are adults
Do you like Tea?
The classic 5 O’ Clock tea is served every day

Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Shoreview
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2010

Just returned from Antigua and 13 days at the Jolly Beach Resort. In all fairness, let me start by saying that we have never staying in an AI before so it was all new to us. The grounds were well kept....the pools and beach fantastic....pina colada/strawberry daquiri machine a nice touch....the restaurants a disappointment. They upgraded our room to include a coffee maker [we had brought one] and a refrigerator.....one that wouldn't keep a beer cold. The size of it was fine and the view & ocean sounds wonderful. The pools were lovely with a great swim up bar - so nice not to have to worry about cash at the pool. Maid service was different each day.....sometimes we got washcloths, coffee, creamer......sometimes we didn't and leaving a tip seemed to have no affect. We were told they had 7 restaurants......in fact it is 3 nice ones that you need reservations for, one buffet that was marginal at best [except for breakfast which we enjoyed], and a beach bar that was open from noon to 4:45p. The menu selection at the 3 main restaurants was very limited and any of the really good choices came with an upcharge. The process for making reservations is lousy.....either stand in line for 30 min each morning or call & sit on hold. The staff at the front desk were all very nice.....the rest not so much altho there was an occasional happy face. We got tired of drinking out of small plastic cups, but understood the need for no glass near the pools. We loved the beach.....the pools...... the island......just wouldn't do AI again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
philadelphia, pa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

Pros: beautiful beach, gorgeous sea, and a few helpful and friendly staff members.

Granted we got a great price however the accomodations and hotel operations were awful. JBR was the first and last all inclusive place we will ever consider again. We were only able to get a reservation at one of the NON buffet choices one night and we were there for 6. We followed the rules, called first thing in the morning, however, nobody ever answered the phone so by the time we'd get through which wasn't until mid afternoon, everything was booked. I'm not a fan of buffets to begin with so imagine this type of dining for breakfast, lunch and dinner for 6 days.

The other guests were rude and didn't follow the stand in line concept and would just push their way through. The food stations were usually empty and in need of refilling. I'd say the selection was decent though when not empty. Quality was lacking.

I read another review about the plastic cups which I too had a serious issue with. I also was misinformed that the bar only stocked the cheapest liquor, beer and wine they could purchase. Drinking wine out of a plastic cafeteria cup just doesn't cut it. Glassware would make such an improvement. Whatever type of drinker you are, don't expect to recognize any of the brands. A martini? HA! Miller lite, non existent. Not even Absolute brand vodka.

The decor was hideous. The room was so musty and mildewy we had to buy a candle to burn non stop. The whole room was popcorned; walls, ceilings, even the shelves in the bathrooms and closets. i really noticed the smell when I got home and realized I had to wash everything in my suitcase even though I didn't even wear it. The a/c also didn't cool our room. We told the front desk and someone came and disassembled the unit but it still didn't do a thing. We asked to be moved but the "premium" room they showed us was an extra charge per night and was still just as run down so we made do.

All in all, I guess the saying holds true that you get what you pay for. So based on that I guess we did get what we paid for.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

Get ready to bend over and take it. Though the physical location of this resort is very beautiful, the good times end there. Most cell phones don't work in Antigua, so I made two calls to the US to let my fiance know what room I was in so he could call me. I didn't speak to him on the phone and only conected long enough to leave a message each time. Upon leaving I was charged, as expected, something like $8 by the resort for the connection fee (totally insane, but I expected this). I get home to discover that the 1800 number they helpfully recommended to me charged me $41.94 for each ATTEMPT to call the United States and will not drop any charges. The food at the resort was terrible and completely reminded me of the high school cafeteria. Disgusting tubs of flavorless deep fried masses. The food service staff was also very rude, and the beds were so hard that my arm fell asleep all night and it was actually painful in my heels to lay on my back. Overall, the beach was fantastic (though you are constantly approached by people selling you day trips and overpriced junk), and the resort sucked and was happy to economically rape me at every opportunity.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
JollyManager, Manager at Jolly Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 29, 2010
Dear Wrldtravlr84,
I do understand how frustrating it can be to see exorbitant phone charges, however these are outside of our control. The phone charges made to you were from a third party source and not related to Jolly Beach Resort & Spa.

We have several dining options at Jolly and overall offer a wide selection of grilled fish and chicken, local specialties as well as soups, sandwiches and salads. The Coconut Grill which is poolside offers very simple items such as burgers and fries, grilled cheese and salads. The Hemispheres Buffet offers additional options with starches, fish and other meats. On any given evening we would have any of our three a la carts’ available – Lydia’s Caribbean Seafood, Bocciolo Italian and Utsav India restaurants. It is unfortunate that none of these options, once sampled, met your expectations.

Customer service is of paramount importance to us and I hope that you can contact us directly and offer specific information where this is concerned so that we may urgently address it. And I will pass on your review to our managers.
Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

We had a group of 18 ranging from 3years to 80years and all had a fab time!!
wedding was fantastic, well organised, no stress everything you could possibly wish for!
All staff pleasant, friendly and helpful and appreciated general manners like please and thank you!!!!
excellent entertainment team round the pool and in the evening!
good choice of food all round - no one went hungry in our group despite having some fussy eaters!
would definately recommend this hotel for weddings and group holidays!

• Stayed March 2010
Upstate New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

Upon arrival at the resort we were initially a little concerned. However, after settling in we were amazed at how much Holly Beach Resort grew on us. It's certainly not a Sandals and that's what we liked best about it. Rooms are small and very spartan but with the beautiful weather we spent most of our times outdoors so we didn't mind. The beach is one of the best I have ever visited. We tried all the restraunts and found the food to be above average. The staff was helpful and nice. All in all this is a great, laid back beach resort at a really great price. We intend to go back again in the future

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Jolly Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!