“31st Wedding anniversary” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jolly Beach Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Jolly Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Jolly Beach Resort & Spa
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bolans Village, Bolans, Saint Mary's, Antigua   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Bolans
Bridgwater,Somerset
“31st Wedding anniversary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I also agree with Sophie H from a previous post. Are the Americans sold something different to us Brits because they seem disappointed at the hotel and the Brits knew what to expect and get on and enjoy the hotel.
Stayed for 2 weeks early July for our anniversary. It was quiet but this was a bonus as we mixed with a great bunch of people, Carrie & Chris, Sharon & Andy, Maurice & Julia, Julian.Loved nearly everything-people, hotel and staff ,grounds, location and great island. JBR upgraded us to a standard room (thank you) and we had 3009 in the Grenada block although our neighbour from a previous post gives the impression it was better then that. The room served its purpose and I couldn't believe the amount of hot water that was always available. The only thing missing was something to make a hot drink so I was glad we took our travel kettle. Although this block was at the end it was nearest to Lydia's (best restaurant) and the beach bbq.
The beach was absolutely stunning and when we left there was a small section cordoned off as a turtle had laid some eggs. We walked right down to the end in front of the harbour and you see how the other half live. No problem with the sellers on the beach, in fact we booked all our trips with Lynden, he always wears a yellow cap. The pools were good as well and people have complained about the gulls but if you feed them you must expect a frenzy.
The food was excellent and I couldn't believe I was eating soup at lunchtimes (so tasty and refreshing in the heat). The staff in all restaurants were good and nothing was too much trouble.
The trips we did were Shirley Heights Stingrays combined with Jeep off roading, catamaran around the island. Don't book Shirley Heights with the hotel as they leave early and you don't see the main band. Both weeks had different bands.
The evening entertainment was ok but I am sure it would have felt better if there were more guests there. Also if you go for 2 weeks the entertainment is the same as the first week.
All in all an excellent holiday and anniversary with great new friends ( we are all still talking about the holiday through Facebook) and would definitely go back.
The only negative was we had a couple of negative issues that I emailed the hotel through their website and we have been back over a week now and still not had a response from the management.

Room Tip: Grenada block is at the end and nearest the beach but away from the action
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
JollyManager, General Manager at Jolly Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Wow, loved nearly everything - what a compliment! I’m so pleased to hear you had a fantastic anniversary celebration at Jolly Beach and also met so many new friends :)

You’re right - the Standard Rooms don’t have hot drink amenities, but a mini fridge and coffee maker are available in the Superior Rooms, Junior Suites, and Cottages. We also have a daily afternoon tea for guests.

As you mention, the beach is stunning and is a highlight with pretty much every guest we hear from. I’m so glad you had the chance to see the turtle eggs, too, as the turtles only come ashore once per year to lay their eggs in the sand!

I am sorry to hear you haven’t received a response yet to your email. Please feel free to email my Executive Assistant directly at customerrelations@jollybeachresort.com and we’ll do everything we can to answer any questions or sort through any issues.

Congratulations on your 31st wedding anniversary. We wish you many more happy years together!

Jolly Beach Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (564)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Arrival- Front lobby is outdated, small, and not attractive. Service was slow and rooms were not assigned to our group as promised. We went with a group of 20 people.

Rooms- Rooms are very small.

Food- food was good but not much selection at buffet. Always birds in the buffet restaurant and they will take the food right off your plate.
You have to pay extra at the seafood restaurant if you want steak or lobster. Not much seafood at all. No food to eat after 10:00pm.

Bars- Nothing special. The swim up bar was not working and if you are in the pool you have to wait for the bartender up top to come serve you when they are not busy. Bar closes around 12:30pm.

Sports- Basket ball nets were very old. Pool volleyball was old and torn.

Beach- The beach is beautiful very clear water but would be better if it was a private not public. Locals always walking around and have their little stores on the beach.

Pools- The pools need some cleaning and updating.

Not a lot for the kids to do. Most kids were sitting in the lobby on wifi.

Casino- there are about 15 machines. The tables are closed.

In closing if you are a young family with kids go to a 4+ or 5 star in Cuba or Dominican for the same price as a standard room here.

You have to pay $15.00 for a in room safe and $10.00 per day per device for in room wifi.

The maids kept the rooms as clean as possible.

Room Tip: There are no great rooms. Its all by chance what you get.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
JollyManager, General Manager at Jolly Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Rob,

I’m sorry to hear that your vacation experience with us wasn’t as positive as you’d hoped. With that being said, I’m very glad you appreciated the cleanliness of our rooms, as well as our beautiful beach - a highlight for most guests!

Yes, there is a supplementary cost for some of our menu items, and this is clearly stated on our website.

All of the beaches in Antigua are public-access, so unfortunately there’s nothing we can do to restrict vendors. However, we’ve heard from many guests that beach vendors aren’t intrusive (especially compared to other Caribbean destinations), and that they appreciate the opportunity to book fantastic tours and meet some of the friendly locals :)

I was surprised to hear you say there isn’t a lot for kids to do here at the resort. Things may be a little quieter in the off-season, but we offer many different activities and programs to keep kids entertained - including Olympics and other activities on the beach, Jolly Kidz and Teenz Clubs, complimentary watersports, two swimming pools, and more.

Thanks for sharing your feedback. I wish you all the best in your future travels.

Sault Ste. Marie
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We got our vacation to JBR at a good price and I "anxiously" read reviews hoping I hadn't made a mistake. This is our 1st time to Antigua (absolutely loved it) and our 1st time to a 3 star resort. We typically go to a resort rated at 4+ or 5 and have been to Dominican Republic, Playa del Carmen (many times) and Cuba...so quite a variety of resorts with that rating. Our main concern was to have a great beach and decent food. I had read vacationer reviews here saying rooms were dated and small as well as the overall resort being dated We were very pleased with the resort overall. The resort is an older resort but we liked the style overall and although rooms were small we did like them. Nothing fancy but there is enough room and although I was kinda shocked and laughed when I looked in the bathroom, we did adjust very quickly to the size...it's very small and when you first look at shower you wonder if you'll fit! You can, no need to worry about that. There is actually a lot of storage space in the bathroom. The lobby area is quite small and there is no bar there so if this is important to you, then you may be quite disappointed. In past resorts I've looked forward to several cappuccinos throughout the day...you won't get that here but they do have a very nice "tea time" every day around 4:30 with little sandwiches and some type of dessert along with coffee and an assortment of tea. It was available from 4:30 - 6:00 daily. This is served in a courtyard just outside the lobby and there's free wifi available here & the lobby. We thought the food was delicious...not the amount or variety we've had at past resorts but we always enjoyed the choices. There was always a couple types of fish and a chicken dish at dinner along with rice, potatoes, mixed vegetable and some salad choices. Some nights there was also a beed stew and during our week they also had a carving station with roast beef and ham. On Thursday they had a beach BBQ which was delicious and they also had a steel band playing at the restaurant. They have 3 ala carte choices which are available on different nights...they're not all open every night. Utsav, the Indian restaurant is open on Wed. And Lydia's (seafood beach restaurant) is open 2 nights as is the Italian. We ate at Lydia's, which was great, and Utsav, which was mixed review for us. We enjoyed some of the dinner and not other dishes...kind of bland. We didn't go to the Itallian. You can try and make 2 reservations daily but oftentimes, there is no seating left due to limited options. For example when we arrived we booked Lydia's for the next night but there wasn't an ala carte option to book for the 2nd potential booking. The next day I was able to get Utsavs but nothing else available for 2nd option...and on it goes. Bookings are done at the Concierge booth just outside the lobby. The beach is beautiful as is the sand, the pools are good to, nice temperature. They have entertainment nightly but we saw only one, the steel band which we loved. On Friday they had a fire-eater and limbo but we didn't stay up to enjoy. We would go back again and we would recommend this place to others. We just got back and it is off season so it was quiet mostly adults there. There wasn't a lot of palapas or lounge chairs on the beach so that might be a problem in high season...we had no trouble finding something each day. Looking forward to another great vacation in Antigua at Jolly Beach. Oh yes... Almost forgot, the beds were too firm for us, sore hips every morning and although room felt cool coming in from outside, the AC struggled to keep the room cool. I called the front desk and asked to have the AC checked. It it didn't seem any better. We didn't call again so don't know if results second time would have been better.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
I’m delighted to hear that you loved your first visit to Antigua, as well as your stay with us here at Jolly Beach!

Thank you for telling us about some of the things you loved - our daily teas, food, beautiful beach, entertainment, etc. We always love to hear about trip highlights from guests and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

We also appreciate some of your constructive criticism. Yes, in the off-season, our a la carte restaurants may not be open every single night, but I’m happy to hear that you really enjoyed your time at Lydia’s. We’ll take some of your other comments into consideration, as well, as we budget for improvements.

It’s great to hear that you plan to return to Jolly Beach, and we can’t wait to welcome you back!

All the best until we meet again :)

Sheerness, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Before I start I just want to say get over it to all the fuss pots out there !!!!

I stayed for 10 nights n I didn't want to come home it was the a very great holiday I have not got nothing to fuss about the food was great in all restaurants the beach was beautiful the staff were amazing and try hard I celebrated my birthday out there and they brought a cake decorated my table it means a lot they are all very friendly ! Your glasses are filled straight away when empty your plate it moved 1s finished even the prices for the food if you wanted something different was cheap ! Yes the rooms a small in the super saver and the hotel is dated it does not effected your overall holiday you sleep shower dress that's it I would recommend jolly beach and I will be returning soon with my children this time thank you jolly beach
for a great time

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I have waited 2 weeks to write my review, simply because I was so disappointed I wanted to wait and give myself sometime to get over the disappointment and try to review this resort fairly.

My wife and I traveled June 27th thru July 5th. To characterize the type of travelers we are....we have expectations but not unrealistic expectations. First and foremost we are looking for fun and relaxation. We prefer all inclusive travel for the ease. We are not hard to please. We are not luxury travelers and look for value in everything that we purchase. We have been traveling to the Caribbean for 10 years and with exception of 1 year have been very successful in choosing the perfect place for vacation. We have traveled to Mexico, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Barbados and now Antigua. All resorts have been excellent!!!! WITH EXCELLENT BEACHES

This resort was the exception to that. Usually disappointment happens when expectations are not met!!!! Before choosing Jolly Beach, we did our homework. We read reviews for the better part of 2 years on this resort. We read the good and bad reviews and were a little alarmed at the number of negative reviews. After several discussions between my wife and I we came to decision that maybe some of the bad reviews WERE FROM HARD TO PLEASE TRAVELERS. That their expectations were unattainable. So fully aware of what we were getting into....we lowered our expectation and felt like if we knew what to expect going in we would have no SURPRISES!!!! Besides nearly all reviews raved about the BEACH...WHICH IS WHAT WE LOVE!!! So let's start the review...

RESORT - TIRED, OUTDATED you hear that a lot in the reviews You also hear its a 3 star resort...3 STAR RESORTS ARE NOT THIS RUN DOWN. They may not have as many features and amenities as 4 or 5 star RESORTS...BUT THERE'S A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WHAT AMENITIES YOU OFFER YOUR GUEST AND THE UPKEEP AND THE OVERALL CONDITION OF THE PROPERTY. Literally, when we walked up to the front desk you understand how outdated and tired it is. It will take your breath away. Everything is run down.

LOCATION - PERECT

ROOMS - We had an ocean view king superior room, GRENADA 3008. The room was small and had no Furniture... not one drawer to put away your stuff...THE ONLY PLACE TO STORE YOUR CLOTHES WAS IN THE CLOSET ON CONCRETE SHELVES... We joked it must have been designed and built by CORRECTIONS CORPORATION OF AMERICA ( A PRISON CONTRACTOR) because everything was formed out of concrete...yes even the nightstands besides the bed. When you are staying for 10 days this is not enough space to store your clothes... So we lived out of OUR suitcase for our time here. Beds were hard and pillows were flat... bathrooms were small as well. UNACCEPTABLE...THIS ROOM COMPARED TO A $55.00 A NIGHT HOTEL IN THE UNITED STATES. But it had good water pressure and plenty of warm water

FOOD - AVERAGE TO BELOW AVERAGE at the buffet. Yes, you could always find something to eat... BUT THIS VACATION where we have paid for food. I want to eat something good not just FIND SOMETHING. The beach bbq was BETTER THAN THE REST and was the best meal of the week. But lets face it.....the bar is not that high!!!! The a la carte resturants were good. We ate at Lydias and the Italian resturants . The birds are ridiculous...I know it's the Caribbean and open and breezy--- we have been to other resorts where there were birds...but you can't leave your plate or they will get it. AT Hemispheres ( the buffet) they have chicken wire over the windows...which still does not work because birds still get in. At the grill by the pool, the sea gulls will knock the plate right out of hand. Once its out of your hand and on the ground they swarm. It happened almost everyday.

SERVICE - OUTSTANDING...the staff was great and very friendly.

BEACH - OUTSTANDING...BEAUTIFUL BEACH AND BEAUTIFUL WATER...we enjoyed our beach time and our walks up and down the beach

POOLS - NICE

POOL BAR - NOT FUNCTIONING...GREAT SET UP...BUT ONLY THE TOP PART OF THE BAR IS OPERATIONAL. THE BOTTOM PART WHERE YOU SWIM UP TO NOT WORKING.

VALUE - I KNOW THERE ARE DIFFERING VIEWS ON VALUE BUT THIS IS MY OPINION ON VALUE. VALUE TO ME IS WHEN YOU BUY 4 TIRES FOR $150.00 BUT THEY NORMALLY COST $400.00. THAT IS A VALUE.

BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW WHAT EVERYONE SPENT ON THEIR VACATION, I CAN NOT EVALUATE WHETHER IT WAS VALUE OR NOT....IN MY CASE THIS IS NOT A VALUE...I PURCHASED THE TRIP THRU CHEAPCARIBBEAN.COM AND PURCHASED IT IN MARCH 2014. THIS WAS THE MOST WE HAD EVER SPENT ON ANY VACATION WE HAVE EVER TAKEN TO THE CARIBBEAN...YET WAS THE MOST DISAPPOINTING...SO NO...IT WAS NOT A VALUE IN MY EYES.
MAYBE IF HAD PAID $1000.00 PER PERSON I WOULD SEE THE VALUE...BUT THAT WAS NOT THE CASE!!!!

TO WRAP THIS UP ------I WOULD NOT RECCOMEND THIS RESORT IN ITS CURRENT STATE...IF THEY EVER DECIDED TO SPEND ABOUT 1.5 MILLION DOLLARS TO UPDATE...THEN I WOULD ENTERTAIN THE IDEA OF RETURNING....BUT THERE ARE TOO MANY 3,4,OR 5 STAR RESORTS IN OTHER PLACES WITH BETTER AMENITIES IN BETTER SHAPE FOR FAR LESS MONEY..THAT I WOULD CHOOSE.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
JollyManager, General Manager at Jolly Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Hi Jay,

As you pointed out, nearly everyone raves about our beach and I’m glad we can count you among them! It’s great to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your walks on our beach since the beach was something you mentioned as being really important to you in a vacation.

And even though you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay, it sounds like there were also a lot of other things that you really enjoyed at Jolly Beach, too (the location, service, pools, etc.).

I appreciate where you’re coming from with regards to the birds. We do our best to ensure the comfort of our guests but must also adhere to Antigua’s wildlife laws, which restrict us from harming or removing the birds or their nests and eggs. As you mentioned, we do use screens to help block access in the main buffet restaurant, and we also play a bird scare program through the speakers to reduce their presence as much as possible.

Antigua is known for being more expensive than some of the other Caribbean Islands, but it’s an incredible destination for beaches and we offer one of the best price points in Antigua…on Antigua’s best beach!

As you mentioned, there are differing views on value. While you may have spent more on your vacation in Antigua than in some of your other destinations, I hope you still found some value in our 5 on-site restaurants, weekly beach BBQ, 2 pools, many beach activities, nightly entertainment - and, of course, our outstanding beach and staff :)

Finally, as you point out, we are a 3 star resort. Our staff are diligent in caring for the property inside and out, and we have updated many of our rooms (an ongoing process), but yes, our rooms are more basic than what you’ll find in a luxury resort.

With the best of Antigua right outside, many guests tell us that they don’t spend much time in their rooms other than to sleep, but we will certainly take your feedback into consideration as we continue to make improvements.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I wish you the best of luck in your future travels.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Agree that the hotel is very basic but it's very clean and staff very friendly. We really enjoyed our stay and were glad we were there in the 'low' season so had no problem booking into the on site restaurants or getting a sunbelt on the beach. The water sport team are fantastic and were very patient teaching us to sail a catamaran - we then sailed daily on our own and felt very safe as we knew they were keeping an eye on us ! We rarely say we will go back anywhere ( the world is too big) but would definitely return to Antigua and Jolly Beach.
Drinks are refilled promptly and food is good.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

A beautiful beach, lovely staff (Alwyn and Troy at the bar . Maria in the restaurant . Robin and his brother ) lovely , lovely friendly people but having a beautiful beach with virtually no loungers and only a handful of umbrellas on the whole site is such a shame . It desperately needs updating as looks like Butlins in the 70 s . The staff are amazing , friendly and such fun but it needs a lot of work .......

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hi Deborah,

It sounds like you had a great experience with our staff and really enjoyed our beautiful beach, which makes me very happy to hear. I’ll sure to pass your compliments on to those you mentioned specifically :)

I do also appreciate your feedback about the loungers and umbrellas. This is something we’ll look at more closely to see how we can improve this aspect of our guests’ experience at Jolly Beach.

Thanks for taking the time to share your opinion!

Jolly Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Jolly Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!