“Amazing” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jolly Beach Resort & Spa

You added Jolly Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Jolly Beach Resort & Spa
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bolans Village, Bolans, Saint Mary's, Antigua   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Bolans
Sheerness, United Kingdom
“Amazing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Before I start I just want to say get over it to all the fuss pots out there !!!!

I stayed for 10 nights n I didn't want to come home it was the a very great holiday I have not got nothing to fuss about the food was great in all restaurants the beach was beautiful the staff were amazing and try hard I celebrated my birthday out there and they brought a cake decorated my table it means a lot they are all very friendly ! Your glasses are filled straight away when empty your plate it moved 1s finished even the prices for the food if you wanted something different was cheap ! Yes the rooms a small in the super saver and the hotel is dated it does not effected your overall holiday you sleep shower dress that's it I would recommend jolly beach and I will be returning soon with my children this time thank you jolly beach
for a great time

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Sophie H

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I have waited 2 weeks to write my review, simply because I was so disappointed I wanted to wait and give myself sometime to get over the disappointment and try to review this resort fairly.

My wife and I traveled June 27th thru July 5th. To characterize the type of travelers we are....we have expectations but not unrealistic expectations. First and foremost we are looking for fun and relaxation. We prefer all inclusive travel for the ease. We are not hard to please. We are not luxury travelers and look for value in everything that we purchase. We have been traveling to the Caribbean for 10 years and with exception of 1 year have been very successful in choosing the perfect place for vacation. We have traveled to Mexico, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Barbados and now Antigua. All resorts have been excellent!!!! WITH EXCELLENT BEACHES

This resort was the exception to that. Usually disappointment happens when expectations are not met!!!! Before choosing Jolly Beach, we did our homework. We read reviews for the better part of 2 years on this resort. We read the good and bad reviews and were a little alarmed at the number of negative reviews. After several discussions between my wife and I we came to decision that maybe some of the bad reviews WERE FROM HARD TO PLEASE TRAVELERS. That their expectations were unattainable. So fully aware of what we were getting into....we lowered our expectation and felt like if we knew what to expect going in we would have no SURPRISES!!!! Besides nearly all reviews raved about the BEACH...WHICH IS WHAT WE LOVE!!! So let's start the review...

RESORT - TIRED, OUTDATED you hear that a lot in the reviews You also hear its a 3 star resort...3 STAR RESORTS ARE NOT THIS RUN DOWN. They may not have as many features and amenities as 4 or 5 star RESORTS...BUT THERE'S A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WHAT AMENITIES YOU OFFER YOUR GUEST AND THE UPKEEP AND THE OVERALL CONDITION OF THE PROPERTY. Literally, when we walked up to the front desk you understand how outdated and tired it is. It will take your breath away. Everything is run down.

LOCATION - PERECT

ROOMS - We had an ocean view king superior room, GRENADA 3008. The room was small and had no Furniture... not one drawer to put away your stuff...THE ONLY PLACE TO STORE YOUR CLOTHES WAS IN THE CLOSET ON CONCRETE SHELVES... We joked it must have been designed and built by CORRECTIONS CORPORATION OF AMERICA ( A PRISON CONTRACTOR) because everything was formed out of concrete...yes even the nightstands besides the bed. When you are staying for 10 days this is not enough space to store your clothes... So we lived out of OUR suitcase for our time here. Beds were hard and pillows were flat... bathrooms were small as well. UNACCEPTABLE...THIS ROOM COMPARED TO A $55.00 A NIGHT HOTEL IN THE UNITED STATES. But it had good water pressure and plenty of warm water

FOOD - AVERAGE TO BELOW AVERAGE at the buffet. Yes, you could always find something to eat... BUT THIS VACATION where we have paid for food. I want to eat something good not just FIND SOMETHING. The beach bbq was BETTER THAN THE REST and was the best meal of the week. But lets face it.....the bar is not that high!!!! The a la carte resturants were good. We ate at Lydias and the Italian resturants . The birds are ridiculous...I know it's the Caribbean and open and breezy--- we have been to other resorts where there were birds...but you can't leave your plate or they will get it. AT Hemispheres ( the buffet) they have chicken wire over the windows...which still does not work because birds still get in. At the grill by the pool, the sea gulls will knock the plate right out of hand. Once its out of your hand and on the ground they swarm. It happened almost everyday.

SERVICE - OUTSTANDING...the staff was great and very friendly.

BEACH - OUTSTANDING...BEAUTIFUL BEACH AND BEAUTIFUL WATER...we enjoyed our beach time and our walks up and down the beach

POOLS - NICE

POOL BAR - NOT FUNCTIONING...GREAT SET UP...BUT ONLY THE TOP PART OF THE BAR IS OPERATIONAL. THE BOTTOM PART WHERE YOU SWIM UP TO NOT WORKING.

VALUE - I KNOW THERE ARE DIFFERING VIEWS ON VALUE BUT THIS IS MY OPINION ON VALUE. VALUE TO ME IS WHEN YOU BUY 4 TIRES FOR $150.00 BUT THEY NORMALLY COST $400.00. THAT IS A VALUE.

BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW WHAT EVERYONE SPENT ON THEIR VACATION, I CAN NOT EVALUATE WHETHER IT WAS VALUE OR NOT....IN MY CASE THIS IS NOT A VALUE...I PURCHASED THE TRIP THRU CHEAPCARIBBEAN.COM AND PURCHASED IT IN MARCH 2014. THIS WAS THE MOST WE HAD EVER SPENT ON ANY VACATION WE HAVE EVER TAKEN TO THE CARIBBEAN...YET WAS THE MOST DISAPPOINTING...SO NO...IT WAS NOT A VALUE IN MY EYES.
MAYBE IF HAD PAID $1000.00 PER PERSON I WOULD SEE THE VALUE...BUT THAT WAS NOT THE CASE!!!!

TO WRAP THIS UP ------I WOULD NOT RECCOMEND THIS RESORT IN ITS CURRENT STATE...IF THEY EVER DECIDED TO SPEND ABOUT 1.5 MILLION DOLLARS TO UPDATE...THEN I WOULD ENTERTAIN THE IDEA OF RETURNING....BUT THERE ARE TOO MANY 3,4,OR 5 STAR RESORTS IN OTHER PLACES WITH BETTER AMENITIES IN BETTER SHAPE FOR FAR LESS MONEY..THAT I WOULD CHOOSE.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
      Location
    • 2 of 5 stars
11 Thank Jay R
JollyManager, General Manager at Jolly Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Hi Jay,

As you pointed out, nearly everyone raves about our beach and I’m glad we can count you among them! It’s great to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your walks on our beach since the beach was something you mentioned as being really important to you in a vacation.

And even though you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay, it sounds like there were also a lot of other things that you really enjoyed at Jolly Beach, too (the location, service, pools, etc.).

I appreciate where you’re coming from with regards to the birds. We do our best to ensure the comfort of our guests but must also adhere to Antigua’s wildlife laws, which restrict us from harming or removing the birds or their nests and eggs. As you mentioned, we do use screens to help block access in the main buffet restaurant, and we also play a bird scare program through the speakers to reduce their presence as much as possible.

Antigua is known for being more expensive than some of the other Caribbean Islands, but it’s an incredible destination for beaches and we offer one of the best price points in Antigua…on Antigua’s best beach!

As you mentioned, there are differing views on value. While you may have spent more on your vacation in Antigua than in some of your other destinations, I hope you still found some value in our 5 on-site restaurants, weekly beach BBQ, 2 pools, many beach activities, nightly entertainment - and, of course, our outstanding beach and staff :)

Finally, as you point out, we are a 3 star resort. Our staff are diligent in caring for the property inside and out, and we have updated many of our rooms (an ongoing process), but yes, our rooms are more basic than what you’ll find in a luxury resort.

With the best of Antigua right outside, many guests tell us that they don’t spend much time in their rooms other than to sleep, but we will certainly take your feedback into consideration as we continue to make improvements.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I wish you the best of luck in your future travels.

Jolly Beach Resort & Spa

Travelers are raving about these Bolans hotels

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Agree that the hotel is very basic but it's very clean and staff very friendly. We really enjoyed our stay and were glad we were there in the 'low' season so had no problem booking into the on site restaurants or getting a sunbelt on the beach. The water sport team are fantastic and were very patient teaching us to sail a catamaran - we then sailed daily on our own and felt very safe as we knew they were keeping an eye on us ! We rarely say we will go back anywhere ( the world is too big) but would definitely return to Antigua and Jolly Beach.
Drinks are refilled promptly and food is good.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cheryl C
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

A beautiful beach, lovely staff (Alwyn and Troy at the bar . Maria in the restaurant . Robin and his brother ) lovely , lovely friendly people but having a beautiful beach with virtually no loungers and only a handful of umbrellas on the whole site is such a shame . It desperately needs updating as looks like Butlins in the 70 s . The staff are amazing , friendly and such fun but it needs a lot of work .......

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
6 Thank Deborah C
Hi Deborah,

It sounds like you had a great experience with our staff and really enjoyed our beautiful beach, which makes me very happy to hear. I’ll sure to pass your compliments on to those you mentioned specifically :)

I do also appreciate your feedback about the loungers and umbrellas. This is something we’ll look at more closely to see how we can improve this aspect of our guests’ experience at Jolly Beach.

Thanks for taking the time to share your opinion!

Leeds, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I've just come back from a two week stay at the Jolly Beach. Overall holiday was great. The hotel is situated right on a lovely long beach. We were told that in high season it can get very busy but we timed it just right. The sea is beautiful and safe for younger children as there aren't any sudden drops in depth. The hotel itself is good and the staff are friendly. One negative would be the bedrooms - ours was a standard room and was looking a little tired but saying that you're not in it that long so why worry. It didn't come with a fridge as standard (additional charge required).
The food is good which lots of choice. No signs of any upset stomachs and you can drink the local tap water. There were four restaurants, Indian (3/5 as food wasn't that spicy), Italian (3.5/5 went twice, service second time wasn't that great), Fish (4/5 always fresh but again service was a little slow at times) and the main restaurant (5/5 great choice lunch and dinner time). On a Thursday night they put on a beach BBQ with the local steel band - great time.
There were lots of trips, mainly boat/catamaran, which is great if you can do boats (I can't). We opted to hire a car for a day (circa £120 which included fuel, insurance and the local driving licence), definitely money well spent. You are free to visit the 365 beaches and stop and start as you want. The roads are a little rough so get a 4 wheel drive. Other drivers are courteous but take a map as the road signs are few and far between!
One big downside for me was the Mosquitoes. We took sprays out with us from the UK but was informed from the start that they won't work. Our rep advised us to purchase the local stuff called 'OFF' from the supermarket across the road at Jolly Harbour, this didn't appear to work either. They come out between dusk and sunrise, so the only thing I could recommend is long trousers (linen obviously otherwise you'll sweat to death!) and take the spray from the UK which easers the itchiness (oh and some antihistamines).
Overall great relaxing holiday, would recommend and would return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
      Location

Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

5 Thank pontichick
Winchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We stayed at the Jolly for 2 weeks 28 june till 12 June. The hotel is amazing outdated yes but amazing and the staff were very friendly and helpful and attentive.

Lets start with the reception got greeted and had a little joke with the ladies on the front desk who made the it fun right from the begining the concierge desk which was manned by Blondell and another young lady who were both very helpful and very friendly while we wanted to book trips out which we went on.

The resturant staff in Hempispheres were friendly efficent and fun! They would refill our drinks promptly and ensure that everything was okay with us and the food which was provided. The main resturants (Lydias, Ustavs & Bocciolos) We only went to two of them (Lydias and Bocciolos) which were both amazing and served a very different variety of food which were delicious. They also catered for one of our party who was allergic to garlic and delt with that very well!

The rooms were recently updated and were up to standard every day being cleaned and looked after by the cleaners!

One of our partys room shower handle snapped off because of this fault they were offered a free upgrade to a superior room which was handled very well by the staff.

I had my 21st birthday at the Jolly and the staff made the expirience so much more enjoyable and amazing bringing out a very large and beautiful birthday cake and singing happy birthday to me. Brendan the supervisor did a fantastic job of supervising and was one the most friendliest people I have ever met.

Marleen the Virgin rep that we went with was alos amazing and a pleasure to speak too.

The beach is absolutley beautiful and I would recommend anyone going to Antigua to visit the beach at the Jolly which has plenty of watersport activites and a few vendors who werent pushy and very friendly.

The taxi drivers were good although the one I would reccomend is King Jango Taxis as he tells you about the island and about the cricket stadium which he gave us a free tour off!

So to summarize this hotel is amazing outdated and the staff are absoulutley amazing at what they and I will definatley be returning to the Jolly beach in the future.

To all the staff that work there thank you for making my 21st birthday special and thank you for the amazing service that you delivered.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Jordon P
JollyManager, General Manager at Jolly Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear Jordan,

I’m so glad you had a special 21st birthday celebration at Jolly Beach Resort and that you felt the staff went out of their way to make sure you had a great celebration and holiday here!

As you mention, we are a 3 star resort, but it’s great to hear you received 5 star service :)

The beach is a highlight with pretty much all of our guests, who, like you, appreciate our mile of white sand and calm turquoise waters. It sounds like you had a lot of fun with watersports, too!

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience here. You mentioned you’ll be returning to Jolly Beach in the future, and we can’t wait to welcome you back.

Long Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Honestly I was extremely and pleasantly surprised by the Jolly Beach Resort. We booked the trip for June 2014 as the family get away we do every few years. We expect a few things from a resort of course - clean rooms, maintained grounds, friendly and helpful staff, good local food... And Jolly Beach does a very good job in all. And very pleasant surprise is that June is off-season, so the resort and the island overall is not inundated with tourists. In fact we laughed everyday about the "private" beach we had.

We stayed in the St John's building on the first floor. The room was very clean and housekeeping did a great job of keeping it that way every day - no easy feat with 4 people including two teenage girls. It was so nice to walk out the sliding doors and in 30 feet you are on the beach. We sat on the patio many mornings just to enjoy the peace and quiet. The view was great even, probably better than the second floor since we could see through the palm trees, I don't know if the second floor could. Beds were a bit on the hard side, but nobody complained about them. The bath was fine - everything worked and more importantly it was clean. Was the room perfect? No. The metal sliding doors need to be replaced desperately; the patio furniture also needs replacement; the wall mounted A/C unit was very, very loud when sitting on the patio so most mornings we would turn it off for a little while (the A/C was fine indoors - not loud and it kept the room very cool).

Grounds are spacious. I believe it is the largest resort on the island (though Sandal's looked as big). Coconut, Palm, and scores of flowering trees are everywhere. Mongoose run through the grounds doing their mongoose things - they avoid humans, and are rather cute. Again are the grounds perfect? No. But a really good groundkeeper, some updated stone, and better cement patching would do wonders.

There are two pools, but honestly we only went to the larger pool. This pool had a swim-up bar, the grill, an eating area in that 2 story open air building, and regular pool activities. The unobtrusive DJ when he wasn't playing a really good selection of every type of music, was the events coordinator. He did a great job of getting everyone involved (without bothering those that were fine doing nothing). The water volleyball games were a blast for those playing and those just watching. The bar drinks were disappointing, whether you were getting water, soda or alcohol, the glasses were way too small (and don't expect top shelf liquor). Grill food was a little disappointing - hamburgers, hot dogs, French fires. Not sure what I expected, but a roti or something local would have been nice.

Food was ok. Went to the Italian place one night, the required (and ridiculous) dress code and only fair food was enough to make s not want to go back. We didn't go to the Indian restaurant (not a fave of the families). The grill I mention above. 4:00 tea time was nice on the occasions we went. The seafood place at the opposite end of the resort from our room was the best we thought. They tended to run out of menu items, but they had alternatives so it was a non-issue (off-season means less imported goods we found out). A recommendation for a Greek restaurant that is a short walk off the grounds proved to be wonderful. The family owned and operated Akropolis Restaurant was absolutely great. Mom is the chef, providing wonderful Greek food with local and Italian influences. Her son is her sous chef, another son is a waiter, and Dad is the host. Even though we had the all-inclusive package at Jolly Beach, we went to the Akropolis two nights for dinner and would have went more if we discovered it sooner.

The beach!!!! It was perfect! Soft coral sand, beautiful water of every shade of turquoise, and like I said above practically deserted by our room (the middle section of beach, by the pools had many more people). The daily walk up and down the beach was always nice, though we were jealous of the beautiful private homes right on the beach (all beaches are public on the island we were told). Cabana-like structures provided the perfect respite from the sun. The one and only downside of the beach were the vendors that were trying to sell you everything from excursions to clothing, but it was not all bad. There goods were nice usually, they were an excellent source of information and they were very helpful. Lawrence is a salesman that would do well in NYC, and Rocky was sooo cool and as laidback as anyone on the planet. The beach was so nice it was hard to leave at the end of the day or when we booked an excursion.

The best for last - The staff!!! The staff were great. After reading some of the other reviews I was expecting many surly people. Well that couldn't further from the truth. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Quick story - I had to go to the hospital while going to Stingray City, turns out I had kidney stones (I blame the too small drinks causing my dehydration and the stone formation). While coming out of a room and a test, one of the Concierges, Blundell, was there to check on me. Seems our taxi driver, King Janga, had told Blundell that he had to take me to the hospital and as soon as she got off work she went to the hospital to see if I was alright and check to see if my family needed anything. She absolutely went way above and beyond what is expected - I hope the resort realizes they have gold in Blundell. And Janga, taking us all to the hospital and arranging for me to get right in to the ER - he was great. The wait staff, housekeeping, front desk, Concierge (again Blundell and Ian) were all amazing. Everyone made us feel comfortable and welcome. The overall theme was you are on vacation - enjoy it and let us do whatever we can to make your vacation enjoyable. We sensed absolutely no resentment that others said (makes me wonder what the reviewers are like...)

Although the resort as a whole needs updating, and some maintenance work, we would absolutely stay there again (and again).

Room Tip: If you want nightlife and don't mind music and entertainment to 11 stay to the left of the lobby...