“Enjoyable overnight stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jolly Beach Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Jolly Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Jolly Beach Resort & Spa
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bolans Village, Bolans, Saint Mary's, Antigua   |
Special Price
Save 50% on All Inclusive
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Bolans
St. John's, Antigua
“Enjoyable overnight stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

The hotel has a lot to offer and the staff is very courteous and welcoming. However the rooms are not of the best. Although comfortable they lack ambience. Since mine was just an overnight stay with limited time spent in the room I was able to overlook the lack of ambience. The food was good and offered many choices. The dining room staff catered to your every need. I thoroughly enjoyed my brief stay..

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (552)
Guelph, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

The Jolly Beach Resort is sadly outdated and poorly maintained. I was there for two days after arriving in Antigua's Jolly Harbour by boat. If I had booked a full vacation there I would have asked for my money back and gone elsewhere. Almost everything about the place is run down. There are metal screens surrounding the restaurant that make the place look like a military compound.The staff are lacking in many aspects of training. I think they mean well though, its not their fault, these are management level issues.

To be fair - on the good side, the beach is terrific, the staff are friendly, the food is generally ok and in some cases good.

But the owners need to re-invest in this property and stop letting it run down to where its ready to be bulldozed.

Room Tip: To choose a good room find a nicer resort at which to stay.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
JollyManager, General Manager at Jolly Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Here at Jolly Beach Resort & Spa, we offer good value for money and an opportunity to experience Antigua at an affordable rate. Friendly staff, good service and the best beach in Antigua by a mile are our mantra and are all included in the base rate.

Our staff are second to none and have been praised for their professionalism and hospitality, so much so that we have recently received the Virgin Holiday’s “Holiday for All” award on account of offering exceptional customer care. That being said, we do realize that everything good can be made better - hence the inception of our ICARE program.

This program is specifically designed to ensure we provide brilliant customer service and guest satisfaction – our employees are empowered to act in a polite and helpful manner to make sure guests are well taken care of during their stay with us.

As for the metal screens in the restaurant – we are sorry they were not to your liking. However, the screens do serve a purpose, assisting us with keeping the island’s protected birds from entering the eating area, which is an ongoing concern due to our tropical location.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your opinion. I am happy to hear you loved the beach and enjoyed our friendly staff and food.

Jolly Beach Resort and Spa
Bronx, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

We got this vacation by bidding on it at the CHTAEF Foundation auction at the Travel and Tourism Show at the Javitts Center in NY. This helps hospitality and culinary students in the Caribbean. JBR invests back into their community. We saw many cricket teams practicing on their field. There are 40 acres to this resort. All are beautifully mantained and park-like. We were surprised by the mixed reviews on Trip Advisor. and were elated to see that any fears we had were unfounded.. We stayed in a king superior room in the Jamaica block on the second floor. The room was spacious (12' ceiling!) clean and very comfortable. Yes, many things were not 5 star. If you are looking for modern luxury appointments this is not the place for you but the cost of this stay should tell you that. We found the food exactly what you would expect from a tropical all inclusive. Just great for us. We love curry goat and sitting outdoors while birds look for crumbs. The staff was friendly, courteous and efficient, possibly because we were visably enoying ourselves. Everyone was talkative and personable. The pools are gorgeous, the mile long beach is stunning and the nightly entertainment above par. Yes the cups for the drinks are small but they were bangin'. If you are physically impaired keep in mind that the grounds are so large. It took us 10 minutes to walk to the buffet and 15 minutes to the spa. We loved that because we enjoyed the plants, birds, lizards and sights along the way. Everyone along the way greeted us. We visited the spa twice and a tip would be go to the spa itself to check their specials. Their services were excellent and are highly recommended. We rented a car and did some sight seeing. It takes some effort to read a map because their signs are lacking and many are just so faded you can't read them.. It still was a great experience and advise you to see as much of Antigua as you can. A particular joy for us was to attend a church service in St John's Lutheran Church. While we were there the youth choir sang and it was lovely. We are sorry that we missed their steel pan choir and will plan our next trip to include it. One final tip, not all ATM's work with international debit cards. We found that out in Nelson's Dockyard and had to drive to the capital to get cash!

Room Tip: We don't know about other rooms but our king superior was just that. The rooms away from the buf...
Horley, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

We was recommended this hotel by quite a few people but when we got there first impressions were not good got up to our room it was ok slightly bigger than others because we was on a corner showers are quite small didn't get clean towels one night we had to wait 2 1/2 hours for them which we was not happy about kept ringing reception saying we hadn't received them and all we got was there on there way went to reception to complain and then received towels within 10 minutes some days are rooms weren't even cleaned the floor of your room never seems to be mopped only swept there was a dead cockroach underneath my bed had quite a few power cuts one night the power went off 20 times during the night and it kept waking us up breakfast in the buffet restaurant is pretty standard I lived off omelettes pretty much for 2 weeks all a la carte restaurants were lovely couldn't fault them some staff have no manners at all but others were always helpful and smiling sometimes in the morning at the buffet restaurant you wouldn't get a tea or coffee or you would ask for a orange juice and they would forget it not really much to do in the evening there's a band playing every night pool wasn't always clean sometimes was full of bugs didn't seem to run any skimmers on the pool some doors have quite big gaps at the bottom of them so suggest u put a towel down to stop mosquitoes getting in and cockroaches beach was lovely some market stall holders on the beach ask you to get them a drink if you are all inclusive but you are not allowed to if you do so and security see you they can get your wrist band cut off if you want ice cream from the buffet restaurant you have to ask the waitress's for it can't help yourselves we didn't rate this at 3* at all if you are in a standard room you do not get any drinking faciltes no kettle or fridge so fill a water bottle up and take it to your room so you have

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Firstly, thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Jolly Beach Resort and Spa. We’re very glad to hear that you had some good experiences with “helpful and smiling” staff and that you also enjoyed the a la carte menus.

That being said, it saddens us that you did not fully enjoy your time at the resort because we pride ourselves on maintaining excellent standards in every respect, and our guest’s happiness is always our main priority.

A number of our rooms are on the older side, but they are kept in good condition. As stated on our website, standard rooms are not equipped with fridges or tea-making facilities. Power cuts do unfortunately happen at times, but the electricity is provided by the Government Authority and is not generated on our property, so this is beyond our control.

Regarding breakfast, I’m sorry to hear you felt the need to eat omelettes on most days - our buffet offers a varied breakfast menu, including cereals, English breakfast, fruit, yogurt, and pastries. Our staff and chefs are also always happy to accommodate special requests and diets.

As for some of the other concerns you mentioned – we thoroughly clean and chlorinate the water in the pool every night after use and each morning before it is opened to our guests. And, as I’m sure you can understand, we also uphold a very strict policy regarding passing on food and drink to persons who are not guests at the resort.

Thanks again for your feedback - it’s always helpful to hear from guests so we can improve future guest experiences.

Jolly Beach Resort and Spa
Dawlish, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Stayed here for two weeks and loved every minute of it! Went all-inclusive. Good variety on the food front in the main buffet restaurant. We tried the other restaurants too, nice for a change. All the staff were very friendly, bar service was good and entertainment was varied and fun. Fantastic location - lovely views. The sea could be very rough at times (getting in and out was a challenge on a red flag day!!). Would love to go back

Northampton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

We went to the Jolly Beach having read the reviews, and weren't expecting Sandals! However, what we found was not just basic but totally unacceptable. For a start we had to wait four hours to check in..... the queues were "never ending"! Once we finally got to check in, the staff were dismissive and grumpy. When we got to our room it was like a prison cell! As I say we weren't expecting massive luxury, but the room was not only small, but filthy dirty; paint was peeling off, the floor made my feet black after walking from the bed to the shower and the air-conditioning unit was falling off the wall and looked dangerous! There were cobwebs and dust throughout, and the shower control unit came off in my hand as I tried to turn it on. Having got through this trauma, and put it back on, I found dead insects in the shower tray, and when I got out the only towels there were two hand towels. I used one as a bathmat and the other to dry myself with, rather ineffectively. I was trying to put on a brave face, but then realised that whilst there was a hair-dryer-shaped recess in the wall, there was no hairdryer, even though I had checked before leaving that all rooms apparently had one. It got from bad to worse: my husband and I went out to the patio area to decide what to do, and he banged and cut his head on the block of a TV that was supported on the wall by the doors, because the doors wouldn't open properly! We went back to reception to discuss our dissatisfaction but there was still a queue of dozens of people (many complaining loudly about their rooms) so we thought we would have dinner and then investigate how to sort out our problems. We finally found reception emptier and spoke to them about our issues. They didn't bat an eyelid - no apology, no offer to get a maid in to clean the room, no offer to get a hairdryer sorted out, nor to provide the towels. They told us to try and catch a maid on her rounds and get some towels from her, which my husband afterwards did, after much walking around to find her.We asked if they had any better rooms, but the answer was "no" apart from a two bedroom cottage at an extra cost of $250 (USD) per night. We looked at this cottage and decided that it was not worth the money that they were asking, so went to reception to use the free wi-fi to internet search alternative hotels. Only to find that the wifi was not working!

The public areas weren't great at all either, and the bar staff - infact the staff in general had poor attitude, and were on occasion quite rude. I often read reviews complaining about staff attitudes in places, and I often think that this impression is caused by unreasonable behaviour by the guest! But I can assure you we were nothing but polite. I think the Jolly Beach staff had so many complaints that they were all really hacked off in general, and moral was low.

We had arranged the holiday through Virgin Holidays, and the next morning we met with the Virgin rep. She was absolutely brilliant, understood our concerns, and suggested some other hotels. She thought we would like the Cocobay resort, and had us booked in there within two hours! We had to pay an additionaol amount, but we were so grateful to leave - and it wasn't just us who were unhappy - we saw many an unhappy face and heard similar dissatisfaction from everyone to whom we spoke in the short time we were there.

I would like to commend Virgin Holidays, and their rep. Tracey for sorting this out, but it does beg the question as to why Virgin have this resort as one of their offering in Antigua.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
JollyManager, General Manager at Jolly Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Jolly Beach Resort and Spa. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time with us since we pride ourselves on offering good value for money and exceptional customer service.

We do understand that the check-in process can be a bit tedious after a long flight, especially if we have large groups arriving at the same time. This is why we encourage our arriving guests to make use of the online check-in feature which is provided on our website. Once identified, your check-in process will be expedited in order to reduce the long lines that you spoke of in your review.

We also acknowledge that your opinion of our staff was less than acceptable. We have always been acknowledged for our friendly staff, and we have even been awarded by your Agent, Virgin Holidays, for providing outstanding Customer Care in 2012. However, we also know that everything good can be made better, and we realise that one rude encounter can create a bad impression throughout your holiday. We do apologize to you for this; with the inception of our ICARE program this area can only improve.

We have noted all of the issues you have listed during your experience above and we assure you that each area will be analyzed and improvements will be made where necessary.

Thank you once again for your review of our services. Feedback from our guests is essential to our success and each review is seen as a means to improve our future guest experiences.

Jolly Beach Resort & Spa
Danbury, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Last year for Christmas, I headed to Jolly Beach for a holiday get-a-way (by myself). The trip was great! I walked out of the airport and there was someone outside to help me get transportation to the hotel. I felt very safe and had no issues getting to the hotel. I believe I paid US dollars for the cab - a flat rate upfront. I don't recall it being grossly expensive...maybe $20-$25 dollars. The room are just so-so - very outdated, but honestly, I didn't care. The towels were changed daily and the room seemed clean (much better than ClubMed Turks and Caicos which I've also been to). I also felt very safe being a single female traveler. Jolly Beach Resort and Spa has one of the biggest and best beaches on the island! It's huge! I pretty much hung out there all day! In addition, they have two pools...one is very small and close to the reception desk...the other is down the beach a little bit (I actually didn't know about it until after being there 3 days). They play music and you can get some food there (the JERK chicken is awesome - you have to try it). The drinks are not top shelf, but they are strong! It didn't take me long to get buzzed. I wish they had more "diet" mixers for drinks, but they didn't (that's just me trying to watch calories). The food was good. It's buffet style, nothing special, but don't listen to reviews saying that it's awful - it's not! There's a salad bar every day, a dessert table, usually a carving station, etc. If you're not too picky, you should have no problems findings something you like to eat. I did not try any of the restaurants, but will next time. The gym was sort of a let down and kind of far away from everything else, but there is one if you HAVE to work out. I actually enjoy working out on vacation so for me, that was the most disappointing (which is why I gave the place 4 stars instead of 5). You MUST MUST MUST take the trip around the island! It's AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! While the property is old and in need of updating, the beach more than makes up for it! It's one of the best beaches I've ever been to. If you're looking for a 5 star resort, this is not the place, but for a great beach and good times, this IS the place! I liked it enough to go back again this year for New Year's and can't wait!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Jolly Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!