“A romantic honeymoon. Highly recommend, just one issue!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cocobay Resort

You added Cocobay Resort to your Saves list
Cocobay Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Valley Church, Bolans, Saint Mary's 431, Antigua   |
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Bolans
New Haven, Connecticut
“A romantic honeymoon. Highly recommend, just one issue!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

My husband and I just got back from our 7 day stay at Cocobay resort. We booked based on previous trip advisor reviews and a college friend (thru trip advisor) who had written a glowing review of the resort. The long and short is we would both recommend it to any of our friends or future honeymooners....your friends will be green with envy. Now for the long review.....

1st Make sure you book through Cocobay's website you get all sorts of free comps, i.e. airport transfers, bottle of alcohol in the room, all inclusive no-up charge on meals and guarantee the best room in your category at time of booking.

Pros:
Rooms: We stayed in Yabba house. A large beach front cottage there was lots of sitting room, a small closet, double sinks, walk out shower, plunge pool, tub and hammock. It also has a porch with lots of shade when you need it. I know other people have said it's not worth it to get the pool for us it was. We were the first row of houses on the beach. We'd spend the am over at the beach or pool and after lunch we'd go hang out in our room by the pool. The beds was THE BEST hotel bed we both have ever slept on. The pool was great, the walk out shower was as well. Private but still close to reception/bar etc. We were moved late in our stay due to a bug issue (see the only con) and we were moved to Chattel House. We would request Chattel again it is the room from the brochure, with 2 glass/open walls, double hammock, tub, pool, only a window shower and smaller overall than the first room. This room gets more sun and no porch but has a large palm that shades part of the patio/pool. The views here are unreal it's just you and the Caribbean sea. Also the mini bar was ALWAYS restocked water, sodas, juice, beer everyday no questions asked and when we moved rooms I forgot to pack a granola bar and bottle of aloe from our old fridge and they moved it for us. Also we asked about wifi and were comp'd the wifi (normally a $150 charge) because we were in the premium room....just ask!

Service: Fabulous the best we've ever had. Melissa, Ceyeon, Oriel were all fabulous stand out guests. I loved Ramone, a sweet girl at the front desk who always had the biggest smile and would wave and chat with us every time we were in reception. People here are truly happy and like their job unlike other islands we've traveled to. The asst. manager was also very helpful, but I can't remember her name. We had an issue at night and felt our problem was heard much more clearly/quickly during the following day...it was worth going back and talking to the asst. manager. We also met Oneil a few times each time he introduced himself and shook our hands. Clearly he is very involved in the day to day operation of the resort and it's details.

Food: The food was excellent. We ended up eating a lot of the fish (not big fish eaters normally) and every day it was fabulous. If they have the pineapple donuts at dinner dessert one night GET THEM GET A DOUBLE ORDER! I would have liked a little more variety at breakfast...maybe french toast or waffles, a casserole of some sort, but other than that it was very good. Drinks are also very good, strong and are always being topped off before you can ask a bartender to do it. Ask Ceyeon for his off list drink the "Moonlight" best drink there!

Pools/beach:There are 2 we liked the upper pool better (more breeze) we only used the lower pool once and left to use our own as there was no breeze and it was hot that day. The beach is very nice a little rocky but the water is warm and sand in the water is very sugary. The beach further down at the end of cocobay beach has nicer sand and is probably a 2 min. walk past Dennis' restaurant (we did not eat there). There are few vendors here and go away the very first time you tell them no. We had no issue getting either and umbrella or a pallapa on the beach if we went before breakfast and dropped off towels and returned afterwards.

Spa: We got a couples massage. The relaxation hut is very nice, can hear some pool noise. The pressure was a little much a times but overall very good and same price we'd pay at home. Easy to book and was a nice add on to our vacation.

Price: We looked at Sandals and met a couple visiting from Sandals to plan their next trip to Antigua (NOT at Sandals) and found that comparing notes our resort was much quieter, relaxing and for the price we had the more luxurious room which is the same cost as the base room at Sandals.

Landscaping: Gorgeous, beautiful full sized palms, everything in bloom. The resort itself is small ( 50ish rooms) but with all the landscaping it seems much bigger than it actually is because your eye can not see too far down the path or away from your room which gives the illusion of a bigger resort and ultimate privacy.

Con: The bugs. We are from the Northeast so gnats and mosquitos are not uncommon to us. We only saw gnats and were easy to swat. OFF was available at the gift shop for not an awful resort price. We live near the water at home and we both understand that bugs are part of nature. However we ended up combatting roaches 3 nights while we were there, each time (at night post dinner-mood killer) we told he front desk and they would come spray immediately. Finally we went the next morning and spoke to the asst. manager and was moved right then and had access to our new room within the hour. It was more of an inconvenience and a bit creepy but overall it would not deter us from staying there again. We are already trying to figure out when we can make it back.

Overall the resort is quiet (bring something to read!) and is a place to unwind, recharge the batteries don't expect lots of pool parties, organized group activities, etc. It's about soaking up the sun, rum and the pool....that's all. We would recommend the creole cruise as an excursion (very laid back easy going lunch was yummy, not a "cattle-maran" cruise like the others. We ate at Sheer Rocks one night, the view is unparalleled, the food was good but I'm not sure it was best food we've ever had but we are spoiled living so close to NYC. It was good but I would have been fine if we skipped that night and ate at hotel rest. Alex the owner is incredibly nice and the bar there is wonderful and nice break from the pool bar etc. with some fancier truly hand crafted drinks (we did stop there twice). Other reviews complain about it not being "all inclusive" and being charged an up charge (which is shown on the menu) best I can figure out all those people booked through a travel service (Virgin, etc.) and must not have bough that package. All the American's we were with did not have an issue with an sort of up charges. We only left the resort for the excursion and for a trip in St. John (skip it if you've ever been to any cruise port you've been to St. John). There was no need to leave the resort it was our own oasis and just wonderful.

Wish list: Snacks at tea time (they have cheese sandwiches, it would be nice to have some mini bags of pretzels, crackers, veggies or fruit...just a little something to grab and take back to the room to snack on between meals....I'm a snacker and like my afternoon snack but I was never 'hungry" always received enough at the meals.

Room Tip: Chattel house is the "brochure" room with the glass window. Gorgeous, quiet just you and t...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
Derbyshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

My partner and I have just returned frm the most amazing 10 days here. This hotel is the most relaxing and beautiful place to spend time. The views from our cottage were breathtaking and it is so hard to describe just how fantastic the location of this hotel is. There are 3 beautiful beaches within walking distance and if yoju venture to either of the 2 not directly attached to the hotel you can find them deserted which just makes them seem so much more beautiful.

The food is fantastic andwe were never hungry as there is plenty on offer. The drinks were excellent and again plenty to choose from. The staff are what really makes this place, when I arrived I needed to see a doctor and the staff on the reception desk were so helpful and had a doctor out to me within a few hours which saved my holiday. If you make the effort to speak to everyone and greet them with a smile you will get a lovely warm response from everyone and they are the best bunch of people who make you feel like part of the family.

We took the Wadadli Cat catamaran around the island which was superb and the snorkelling at green island is fantastic. Highly recommend the zip wires and stingray city excursions and also its worth going to Shirley height for the Sunday night party as the atmosphere is amazing.

If you are thinking of booking this hotel don't delay - book now you won't regret it and you will never want to come home. I will definitely be back at the Cocobay

Room Tip: Ask for F2 a bit of a walk from reception and communa areas but the views were astounding
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We have just returned from a 2 week holiday at Cocobay and what an amazing hotel it is! The resort was so much better then I expected. The Gardens are absolutely stunning, so many beautiful flowers and the gardeners do such a good job of looking after it! The staff are so friendly and make you feel so relaxed, We persoanlly loved the egg lady who makes the bet omelettes and panckaes ever and a big shout out to Cecily down at the beach bar who is so lovely, friendly and funny! The room was beautiful with full mosquito net to cover the bed and thank god for the aircon which worked a treat. The view from our balcony was absolutely breathtaking! There is a hammock and 2 chairs to relax on. The Bathroom doors open out onto the balcony and we would shower watching the sea! I can not even begin to descibe how amazing the food in the evening is, its like dining at a 5 star restaurant every night. The Al la carte menu is incredible, so amazing I gained 7lbs! I would reccomend this hotel to anyone who wants a relaxing, peacful holiday with amazing food and breath taking views. The best resort I have ever been too, its going to be hard to top this!

Room Tip: Get a sea view room as they come with Aircon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I visited Cocobay in April with my Fiance (he proposed on the first night out there). I think I could easily write pages on this hotel because it was incredible. It wasn't just a place to stay in Antigua, it was a whole experience.

The room we stayed in was called Monsterrat 2 and this had a gorgeous view of the ocean. It was cleaned everyday and we thought it was absolutely perfect.

The food that is offered for breakfast, lunch and dinner I cannot fault. You will have to be a very fussy and stubborn eater to struggle to find something you would like to eat. My only complaint is the sugar dispenser for breakfast - it didn't really dispense! (as you can tell I find it a struggle to find a fault). You have to try Vincia's grilled sandwiches at lunch time at the pool bar.

The pool and bar areas are beautiful and clean. You just can not complain if you have the idyllic views of the ocean and beach to gaze at!

Now, to add to the incredible views, the spotless and beautiful rooms and the wonderful food, it's the staff that make this the perfect place to stay in Antigua. Vincia, Davern, Tashawn and Kenya made chilling at the bar (by the pool at the back) incredible. My partner and I had the best of times having a laugh and coming up with new drinks. We were lucky enough to become friends with a handful of other couples so we all got through a few drinks in the day which the mentioned staff obviously helped out with and they were just a great bunch of staff to spend your days with.
The front of house staff were also so kind and helpful (Patrea and another lovely girl who's name I have forgotten - sorry :( ) and they had no problem helping with anything you asked etc.

To anyone who would like to visit Cocobay - Please do, you will not be disappointed!!

We will be back!

Grayce and Nicholas

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I almost didn't want to write this review so I could keep Cocobay my own little secret. I spent hours upon hours searching for the perfect getaway location to propose to my fiance. I read wonderful reviews about this resort and felt overly confident in my selection. Let me tell you, this resort went above and beyond my expectations. Words can't express how incredible, romantic and gorgeous the setting was. We stayed in the Fungee (premium waterfront suite) and the view/room were breathtaking. Tub outside, privacy from neighboring rooms, day bed, infinity pool, shower with doors that open up to the outside...it literally felt like we were the only people at the resort. I highly recommend anyone traveling here to spend the extra few dollars to stay in a premium room - I promise you it is worth it. The food was excellent and there was a variety to choose from to satisfy any pallet. My fiance has stomach issues and they were always extremely accommodating to her needs. Book thru the website so you can have steak/lobster at not extra charge. I ate Lobster 4 out of the 5 nights (yes, it was wonderful). Both pools were amazing, we absolutely loved the lower level pool. Day bed are always available and it never felt crowded, maybe 3-4 other couples aside from us max. I'm extremely critical about customer service. The staff were SUPERB. Always had fun, genuine conversations with them and they go out of your way to make your stay special (bottle of champagne in your room, rum punch deliveries, flowers/candles). For me, the little stuff speaks volumes. I was worried about the mosquito comments from previous travelers. Disregard, honestly I did not get one bite my entire stay (we did apply bug spray daily). There are flies, specially at dinner but they do not bite. I could go on and on about this resort, I've traveled to a variety of islands and I've never experienced anything like this. If you are traveling as a couple and looking for an intimate, remote, romantic, rustic-refined resort than this is your spot. Quick couple shout-outs:

O'Neal (manager): what a gentleman, extremely attentive to your needs
Kathleen & Dwayne: Kathleen assisted me with my elaborate proposal plan - she went above and beyond and specifically said "don't worry darling I'll make this happen". Dwayne assisted her and took numerous pictures for us. He was a delight and a joy to be a part of my special moment that I will never forget.
Tarifa: Works at the front desk and is AWESOME. So sweet, funny and just always happy. She would help us with anything immediately.
Blaine: escorted us to our room and would help us with any requests. One of the most genuine guys I have ever met.
Sonia: makes thee best omelets and is a pleasure to chat with in the mornings.

I could go on and on about our stay. Look no further, Cocobay Resort is worth every single penny. My fiance and I are struggling to figure out our honeymoon destination after this trip and we are considering Cocobay. If not, there's no doubt we would return in the next few years. Enjoy!!

27 years old
Resides in New York City
Traveled in July 2014 as a couple

Room Tip: Fungee (premium waterfront suite) is well worth it.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Very late review as we travelled in November 2013 but better late than never as they say. All i will say is ignore all bad comments about this gorgoeus hotel. On arrivsl you are greeted with a well needed rum punch and cold towel. It is ideally a couples resort. The rooms are rustic carribean i would say nice large bed with a balcony and hammock. Shower has doors that open up to see the incredible views.
Weather was hot everyday with odd showers here and there but they very quickly went away.
Excursions- you must visit sting ray city amazing experience swimming with these beautiful creatures you get to feed them swim with them and have ur pictures taken with them. We also did the Jabberwocky yacht excursion which was equally amazing.
Food here was very good Sonias pancakes are the best and to this day i go on about them!! Lunch was buffet and dinner is a sit down meal. Men have to wear polo shirts. It never seemed crowded. Food quality was very good and portion sizes were perfect i dont understand how people can complain about the food portions it was more than enough considering you get a starter main and dessert! You also have to reserve your seating time fot dinner at the main reception.
Staff were superb the best iv ever come across so genuine and friendly and would really go out their way for you. When we got engaged they were so happy for us and got us a bottle of champagne they made an announcement for us and we even had a message from the owner O'Neil which was lovely. We came back to the room one night to see candles and rose petals all over the floor very romantic.
Antiguan people are so lovely.
The guys trying to get you on the jet skis were abit annoying because they came over everyday but if you told them know they would leave you alone. Its their job and way of life and we accepted that.
Be warned if you travel in novmeber the sand flies are everywhere!! Some people got bit very badly i did get some but no where near as some people did so bring lots of creams sprays etc!! They did fumigate the hotel but this is unfortunatly out of their control.
I dont want this review to sound negatuve at all because i loved Antigua and is one of the best holidays iv ever been on!! We were meeting couples there who go regularly and one couple in particular go to Cocobay every year for the past 7 years!! That speaks volumes. Even the people staying at the resort were all so friendly and polite making conversation and saying hello. You are really made to feel at home.
Enyertainment there wasnt much but then we are not really in to all that we like to have dinner and go back and chill in our room so i suppose it depends on you and what you like. If you like nightly entertainment then mayne you should consider a different hotel although they do have shirley heights on a sunday evening where theres good steel band dancing in to the night and at cocobay we did have a steel band one night with cocktail drinks which was nice.
There are about 3 beaches you can access from cocobay one is directly next to the resort the other you have to walk out of the hotel and take a short 5 minute walk to get to it and the other we never really went to. We particularly like the one we had to walk to again its personal preference.
All in all fantastic holiday if you are thinking or considering cocobay and you are a couple looking for a romatic getaway cocbay is 100% the resort to book!! Would make a lovely honeymoon destination also.
Enjoy!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We travelled to Cocobay early July for our honeymoon.

On arrival - transfer from the airport to the hotel was approx 30 mins. When we arrived our luggage was taken while we checked in. Once we were checked in they presented us with a cold towel and run punch. The reception staff then gave us a breakdown of the rules for dinner etc that you usually find in an information booklet in your room. This was fine but would have preferred to have information in the rooms especially after a long flight from the UK.

Rooms - rooms are what I would describe as rustic Caribbean. We had a seafront plunge pool room and although the room was nice we didn't have much of a seaview. We had a palm tree in the way of the sea but seeing as there was a path going along the front of our room the palm tree was needed for privacy. We used the plunge pool a handful of times in 10 nights but I would still recommend this type of room. Air con is a must. The beds are large and very comfy and the pillows are soooo comfy!! My husband asked if we could take them home but no luck. The rain does wake you up at night but you don't really mind seeing as you're in paradise. You do get lizards and birds in your room if doors left open. The only thing I'd change is to have an extra mirror in the bedroom because the bathroom gets so hot and being a female with hair dryer, hair straighteners etc it gets a bit annoying...and hot!!

Beach/pools - you get towels every day. There are 2 pools and we spent majority of the time by the bottom pool or the beach. The bottom pool was often quieter which we liked. The beach was fine and water very clear. If you go to the beach near reception (with hammock and bed) you can walk to Valley Church Bay in about 10 mins along the beach. Also, carry on walking past Cocobays beach for about 2 mins and you get to Big Fryes beach which we only discovered on our 2nd last day. I'd recommend going to this beach...it is deserted and it has a restaurant on the beach for lunch, drinks etc.

Food & drink - water is not included but you can get bottles filled for free by bar staff. Food here is AMAZING!! Breakfast - I always had the omelettes made by Sonia, but there were pancakes, fruit, bacon etc. lunch was always different with a fish or meat dish followed by salad, pasta, etc. Dinner was by far the best meal. It was 4 courses and would begin with a starter, either soup or pasta ( don't be afraid to ask for pasta!!) main, and desert. Drinks were very strong and the bar staff will replace your drink without you realising! We paid extra for dinner on the beach which included steak and lobster and it was by far the best night we had...very romantic. We ate out a couple times at Dennis' restaurant which is 2 mins walk from Cocobay. It's good to try local food like curried goat!! Always felt welcomed when we went and would recommend the burgers for lunch.

Weather - every day it was roasting but every day we saw rain, sun, cloud and wind and still came back with a tan.

Extras - had a couples massage which I think would have been better if we weren't sunburnt!!

Shirley heights - did this on a Sunday and booked a taxi with another couple we had met costing 80 US dollars. It was a great night out 5pm - 10pm and very strong drinks!! Bands were awesome and spent the night dancing the night away!

Virgin Dundee - excursion booked with Virgin. Spent the day in a jeep driving around the villages, then had lunch at Betty's sugar plantation followed by kayaking in the mangroves and then snorkelling near bird island.

Entertainment - not often enough for my liking. They should have something most nights even if very little. They have steels bands and bands every other night. We are a couple in our late 20's and felt it needed a bit more. I'm not talking Sandals quality but just a little more would have been nice. On quiet nights we would be in bed for 9-10pm!

I will never forget my experience to Antigua and will always hold it as a special memory and I think that's mostly down to being in a special resort.

Stayed July 2014

Been to Cocobay Resort? Share your experiences!