“Wonderful, minus the cockroaches. ” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cocobay Resort

You added Cocobay Resort to your Saves list
Cocobay Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Valley Church, Bolans, Saint Mary's 431, Antigua   |
Special Price
10% Honeymooner Discount
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bolans
“Wonderful, minus the cockroaches. ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed in cocobay for 3 nights of our honeymoon. We were in the chattel house right on the water which I highly recommend because it was private and beautiful. We loved it here minus one thing. We killed 20 cockroaches in 3 days. We counted. I could have definitely done without them but the rest was lovely. Great food, wonderful staff, beautiful beach. I recommend walking across to fryes beach. It was completely private and ranked on of the best 100 in the world.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
berkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Cocobay is all inclusive, which normally conjours up images of a large complex with crowds getting drunk for free around the pool. The reality here is quite different however. The resort is small, only about 40 two person cottages, and the whole ambience is miles from mass market tourism. The cottages themselves are spacious and clean, if fairly basic and showing their age a little bit. There are two fairly small pools, but also a fabulous beach adjacent to the hotel. It’s a public beach, so it’s not just hotel guests but apart from Sunday afternoon never gets crowded. We could always find a sun lounger, and also always get shade. The beach itself is beautiful, white sand, palm trees and clear turquoise water.
What really stands out though is the food, particularly dinner. Breakfast and lunch are very good but the selection is a bit limited, however in the evening there are three or four inclusive choices, plus lobster and steak at a supplement. The lobster is well worth the 25 US$ - I had it twice and it was great. The fish is also always very good, as you might expect. The house wine is not the best you have ever tasted but good nonetheless and top ups are frequent. There is also a good selection of cocktails at the bar. Dinner is table service, apart from Thursday, which we found far preferable to the buffet offering we’ve had at other resorts.
The staff are fantastic - efficient, very helpful and friendly in a pleasant, low-key kind of way.
The location and size of the resort make it very peaceful and relaxing and a really idyllic place to spend a week as a couple. I wouldn’t recommend it for families – there is no kids club, and little in the way of activities for teenagers. The food selection might also be an issue for younger ones.
If you want to go diving the excellent Indigo Diving in Jolly Harbour will pick you up from the beach. For car hire I’d avoid the local Tropical Rentals – despite having a confirmed reservation in advance they lost our booking and our car was an hour late.
This was our first trip to the proper Caribbean (i.e. not Cuba) ; Antigua is everything you’d hope for and more, as is this great hotel.

Laval, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Cocobay was just simply amazing!
If you're looking for a place to relax and enjoy quality time with your loved one, this is the place to go!
We chose cocobay for our Honeymoon because it seemed much more private that those huge hotels and we couldn't be happier with our decision.

We chose a seaview with private pool room (#25). The Bed was so comfortable, we had AC, the pool was perfect, we had an amazing view of the ocean and the sleeping Indian, and it was private, no one could see us in our pool.
No matter what people say about the showers having no walls, we loved them, plenty of room!

We loved the food, especially supper because it was a la carte. Always looked forward to what would be on the menu. Alot of people say its small portions, and yes it might seem like some of them are, but you get to choose an entrée, soup, main course and then desert so beleive me after your meal you're good, bigger portions would be too much.
The food served for lunch was buffet style, but always had different stuff which we loved, and breakfast was good too and although there was plenty to choose from, every day was the same, so thats the only thing I would say should maybe change.

The staff was so nice! some of them knew us by name and were so much fun! We even got a hug from our waitress on our last day.
The service was great, from the room cleaning to the bar tending.
One night we came back to our room after supper and there were candles and flower petals on the floor of our bedroom, and the night before we left, we got a bottle of rhum bunch and a special treat, roasted coconut placed in our room.

We loved the beaches! the water is so blue, so clear! So many beautiful shells to find on the beach, snorkling gear available and kayak.
Theres a tiny beach that no one goes to because theres not much sand, but if you want to be alone its really nice. And then there the main beach where everyone goes, very nice beach but there were some annoying people always asking us if we wanted to rent the jetski...
Then we found another beach literally just 2 min walk from the main beach and there was no one! it was great! we spent alot of time there.

On our last day, our flight was at 4 and the chout is at 12 and we still got to spend the day at cocobay because they let you keep your bags at the reception and you can book a changing room that had a shower for 30min so that you can swim all that and then you can get ready before leaving to the airport.

On our trip, we did the circumnavigation tour around the island of antigua and the tour to Barbuda on the excellence with tropical adventures. I really recommend it!
Barbuda has amazing beaches and the bird sanctuary is amazing to see. If birds dont interest you and if you get sea sick easily, then dont do it. Do the tour around the island, lots of amazing things to see and beach stops. The lunch on the boat is yummy too!

Room Tip: We were in room 25, a private pool seaview room and it was perfect! I feel like we had the most pri...
Reisterstown, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

A few tips before I gush over this resort: - this is NOT a sandals-esque resort. Do not book here expecting a party atmosphere. This is a small, intimate resort that caters to couples on honeymoon and romantic getaways. Also, DEFINITELY book through the resort's web page. The supplementary menu for dinner is only included in the all-inclusive if you do. We loved having the extra options at no charge. Honeymooners, there is also a significant discount code if you book through the site, so be sure to use that. Standard rooms do not have AC or the best views, it is totally worth upgrading to the ocean front rooms (We loved TC or Tamarind Cay).

Ok, now that that's out of the way. WOW!!! This resort is amazing. It starts with a cold towel and rum punch greeting at reception and that sets the tone for the type of service you can expect from the staff. The waiters/waitresses at the restaurant are extremely pleasant and attentive. Their good mood is infectious. Our room was decorated with flower petals when we arrived and we also returned to our room after dinner the second nice to find electric candles and flower petals as well. On our last night, the manager (O'Neil) send a bottle of rum punch and roasted coconut to thank us for staying. All of these little things really added to our romantic week in paradise.

The food was exceptional! I've only been to one other all-inclusive, but the food here far outdid what I expected. The dinner menu is very exotic (4 courses) and a bit intimidating, but everything I ate was exquisite! My wife is very particular and not generally a seafood fan and she loved the food as well, so no worries if you are a picky eater. I would encourage you to branch out and try new things like I did. I found so many things I would never have expected to like so much! The beds are roomy and comfortable. My wife and I have gotten used to a sleep number bed and this is the only other bed that we have been able to sleep well in since we got it. The cleaning staff does a good job cleaning your room every day. The mini-fridge is restocked every day (if you are good to your cleaning crew, they will often hook you up with more rum in your fridge, so take care of them!!). The views are breathtaking all over the resort. On clear days, you can see both the islands of Montserrat and Nevis. Even walking around the resort is beautiful as the walks are beautifully landscaped and manicured. The most accessible beach is Ffryes beach, right off the resort. It is public, so there are a few vendors, but they are far less obnoxious than other places and since the beach is on the less populated part of the island, they are not as many. We even used one of them to rent a jet-ski and book a trip to Montserrat (which is beautifully fascinating as well as you get to see the aftermath of the volcanic activity there over the last 2 decades). Also, the beach is not packed to finding a place to put chairs is not a problem at all. The beach is clean and the water so calm and soothing! There are 2 main infinity pools, though we only ever visited the one right by the beach. Like the beach, they are not crowded and very refreshing.

I'll finish by saying that we WILL be going back to Cocobay and would encourage anyone and everyone considering a romantic getaway in the Caribbean to put Cocobay at the top of your list. You WILL NOT regret it. I cannot say enough good things about our week-long stay at this resort. Truly an experience that we will remember and treasure forever.

Broxbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed here as part of a romantic and well needed break over my birthday.

Not often that a place exceeds my expectations. I travel a lot and live in hotels etc. Cocobay did E exceed my expectations though. The private pool we had is a must...do not even consider the others! We had a refurbed unit, so it was awesome.

As it is an all inclusive resort, I always have my doubts. The drinks variety was okay, the house wines very good and the beer drinkable (although only a choice of 1). The food was fine. Breakfast is the same everyday and do not be in a hurry to get your eggs - after all you are on holiday! All freshly made by 1 person serving the whole resort. No cheese in sight throughout the visit was dearly missed.

Lunch was reasonable. not much of a variety, but enough. Bit bland.

Dinner is a 4 course affair. They try to go cuisine style and probably get there reasonably well. I booked directly with the resort, so I had no restrictions on what we ordered. Lobster it was every night!

ONE warning -- men must wear collar shirt and long trousers for dinner. Nobody warns you until you check in. Luckily I had a jeans....was uncomfortably warm as I packed nothing else but shorts.

Staff is very friendly, nearly too friendly. We found some of the bar staff sarcastic and rude, but it was mostly only one guy and we decided he is just one of those people in life!

Will I go again? YES - absolutely. What I wrote here might sound negative, but it is the reality about the food and drinks.

The place is NOT for kids.....whatever they try and tell you. 80% of the couples are honeymooners....

Room Tip: Private pool and aircon in your room is a must. Do not even consider the standard units.
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Let me preface this by saying that we are more of a low-key couple that appreciates high-end things and relaxing. If you want to drink a lot and be on top of other people all of the time then go to Sandals. Coco Bay is a high-end beautiful place and has a diverse clientele from people all over the world.

The food- Every morning they had a great breakfast buffet with fresh fruit, bacon, sausage, pancakes and an assortment of other food. It was perfect. Lunch was always good and they included a salad option if you did not like what they were cooking. They would also have a different dessert every day after lunch which was perfect. Dinner was always amazing. My wife had the lobster twice and I could not get enough of the steak. It was very romantic and just a great setting with great service.

Accommodations- Just wow. We had a premium villa with a pool and never wanted to leave. It was the most amazing thing ever. When we show pictures to our friends and family they are jealous because of how great it was.

The grounds- Everything was perfectly manicured and beautiful. We sat by all of the pools and on the beach comfortably. It was very relaxing there there was great service. It was also quaint so you did not have to fight for a place to sit nor did you have to take a shuttle to a different pool or walk a mile.

The staff- Absolutely spectacular. They made the experience so enjoyable and were so accommodating and friendly.

My wife and I had literally nothing go wrong when we stayed at Coco Bay it was perfect and we are going to continue to go back for years to come. It was PERFECT!!!

I strongly recommend bringing bug spray. We were nervous when reading other reviews about the bugs but it turned out to be fine with a bit of bug spray.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent 2 weeks at this resort and it really is lovely. It's a unique resort set in beautiful surroundings and we loved every minute of our stay.

Such a friendly place. The people there were all so nice and the stff were brilliant. Really made us feel welcome!

We stayed in a Seaview Cottage which was gorgeous and again, very unique! We didn't go for a cottage with a plunge pool but we found the hotel pools fantastic, spending most of our time plunging in the bigger pool.

Food was amazing and drink was flowing (in a strong way!!).

Overall, couldn't fault the place!

Room Tip: Having a Sea view room is soooo beautiful!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolans
Blue Waters Antigua
Jumby Bay, A Rosewood Resort
Jumby Bay, A Rosewood Resort
#2 of 17 in St. John's
4.5 of 5 stars 473 reviews

Been to Cocobay Resort? Share your experiences!