“Wonderful Holiday” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cocobay Resort

Save Saved
You added Cocobay Resort to your Saves list
Cocobay Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Valley Church, Bolans, Saint Mary's 431, Antigua   |
Special Price
25% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Bolans
Oviedo, Florida
“Wonderful Holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I arrived on Friday, the 27th of September. It was a hot afternoon with no breeze at all! We were greeted with a glass of rum punch and smiles from everyone we met. We were welcomed by O'Neal the General Manager of the resort and then escorted to our cottage. Our only complaint was that the air conditioner and fan were not turned on prior to our arrival. The room was unbearably hot. We left the room for a while and when we came back it was more comfortable.
The staff was very nice. Thank you to Melissa, Oriel, Craig and Sacha, just to name a few!
The pools were amazing. The views magnificent. The food was good as well with a nice variety!
We will certainly tell our friends about Cocobay and will plan on returning there some day!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

1,387 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Had a wonderful holiday in such an amazing location. My first comment is to say how excellent the staff are, they are a credit to the hotel. From the receptionists to the garden staff, nothing was a problem and always happy to accommodate any requests. We stayed in room 41 which was a little walk from the pools and bar area but it wasn't an issue for us, was good to walk off the food and drink after an evening.

Upon arrival we were met with a refreshing rum punch and cold towel which didn't even touch the sides after the long day travelling! One of the hotel staff took our cases and took us to our room. We had a lovely view, partially sea view. The room had a lovely rustic feel with dark wooden floor with doors leading onto the balcony. Made great use of the hammock which was lovely just to chill on after a hard day sun bathing! The bed was comfy and the mosquito net did its job, we found that spraying the net before going to sleep worked quite well. My girlfriend suffers quite badly with mosquito bites but only got 2 during the whole week and I managed to escape bite free from the little buggers although we did go prepared taking several insect repellent sprays. The bathroom was unique and I can say I have never stayed anywhere where you can just open the bathroom door to such an amazing view. The only thing I would say is that the floor would get wet after showering and a pool of water would accumulate by the toilet. Also, there was not enough plugs and mirrors within the room, didn't feel that safe using a hair dryer in the bathroom with a pool of water on the floor!

The food was lovely and a different menu each night. Breakfast consisted of fruit, cereal, bacon, pancake, sausage or beans and any style of eggs made to order. Don't be surprised to share your breakfast with the local wildlife as the birds are partial to the odd sip of orange juice if left unattended and the small lizards like a bite of the tasty bacon!

The lunch was buffet style and was very tasteful with a good selection of foods, always something hot on the griddle and a good selection of salads.

The evening meal consisted of a 4 course a la carte style, I would say the portion sizes are smaller that you might expect but not once did we leave feeling hungry. We went for the lobster and the steak one night and I have to say it was the best steak I've ever had and my partner said the lobster was delicious.

The pool area was kept in immaculate condition and the pool was lovely and warm. Never struggled to get a sun lounger and the view over the clear blue sea was breathtaking. We used the pool by the bar although the other pool looked just as good.

The beaches are stunning and only a stroll away, whilst you do get a little bit of hassle from the locals trying to sell you jet ski ad trips they are very polite with it. We also walked to the other 2 beach nearby and found we were the only 2 people on the beach...heaven!

Overall had a fantastic holiday and could have stayed for a lot longer! Hopefully be back one day

Special mention to Melissa on the front desk for making everything so perfect.

Ps my girlfriend travels the world weekly and said Cocobay is hard to beat.

Room Tip: A room near reception would mean less walking!
Bainbridge, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

My husband and I recently traveled to Cocobay for a week for our honeymoon. We were over the moon with our choice. The resort was friendly, clean, relaxing and absolutely amazing. We wholeheartedly recommend this resort for a relaxing couples trip!

Room Tip: We loved our plunge pool suite! The private pool was really nice for after dinner swims!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

A wonderful holiday.
A stunning location.
Every member of the Cocobay staff were pleasant.
Mr Gore who worked in the Restaurant made sure that everyone felt special.
All the guests were very friendly.
A holiday full of memories.

Room Tip: F2 an uphill trek to the very top of the hill especially in the heat,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

Loved everything staff food views beach pools drink well worth a visit great venue for weddings honeymoons or just holidays the staff was happy to help and very friendly and also great watersports and a good idea was afternoon tea at 4pm good old pots of tea and sandwiches and cake

• Stayed September 2013
Kingston, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I stayed here for 3 days for my best-friend's wedding, and it was an awesome experience. I thought the rustic nature of the central area was very cool, but nothing could have prepared me for the views from the cabins. I arrived at night so my first view in the morning was overlooking the pristine blue waters of Cocobay. The cabins are quite spacious, and come standard with mosquito netting to prevent the night time intruders, it didn't look out of place like in some other hotels as the beds were very large, four poster style. The breakfast menu was great, and I loved it that you could speak directly to the chef at the cook line and order any kind of omelette - it was always good. The hotel has lots of different spots for chilling - indoors and outdoors, and what an awesome infinity pool! Though the cabins are placed reasonably far apart, I could still see hints of my neighbours which made me feel a bit exposed when I was in the plunge pool. And though it's supposed to be a bit romantic to have a completely open shower in the bathroom, you always ended up soaking the floor and the girlfriend never liked using the loo with a wet floor - I hope they can upgrade the bathrooms as that was my only peeve. I'd definitely recommend this hotel for a romantic weekend or honeymoon.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

STAFF
The staff were wonderful and couldn't do enough for us. As a vegetarian I was concerned about the food, as it wasn't the usual "all inclusive" buffet style in the evening, but the staff ensured that my dietary requirements were taken care of. I am not a lover of peppers and they noted this and even omitted them from some of the dishes which was much appreciated.

POOL
There are two pools. We used the pool closest to the bar/restaurant and it was never crowded. It was very clean and we saw staff checking it and cleaning it. Other guests mentioned that the lower pool area had a problem with sand flies as it was on the beach so we avoided it.

ROOM
We had a sea view room, which although it wasn't close to the beach, had a lovely view of the sea. The air conditioning was a life-saver, and I would strongly suggest you opt for a room that has it, as the ceiling fans will not keep the room cool enough. The room had a "rustic" feel, and in my opinion was a little "tired" looking, especially the bathroom. The bed was comfortable, however I did notice a few holes in the net around the bed which concerned me, as insects could get in. TAKE INSECT REPELLANT AND A SPRAY I.E RAID SPRAY(uk) AS THERE ARE ANTS AND MOSQUITOES.

FOOD
The standard of the food was excellent, but be prepared to eat Caribbean cuisine, especially in the evening when there is a menu with approx 4 options for each course (plus one soup which is served after the starter). Don't expect the usual all inclusive buffetThe portion sizes are not big. The main course doesn't generally come with traditional veg and potatoes, however as there are 4 courses, it is sufficient and we weren't hungry by the time we got to dessert. For the first few days we didn't realise that desserts are available after lunch.

HANDY TIPS
If you are a light sleeper TAKE EARPLUGS! The crickets and Cuban frogs are VERY LOUD and there is noise from 6am to 6pm every night. There is also a metal roof, so when it rains heavily in the night, it's very loud.

Virgin Ahoy trip was brilliant and well worth the money, but check the non Virgin tours carefully. We went on one tour and it was sold to us with a trip to a sugar plantation and a tour of the Viv Richards cricket ground. My husband is a huge cricket fan, so this sold it for us. BEWARE. Cricket ground was closed and there was no "tour" included, and the sugar plantation was closed down years ago, so there really wasn't anything to look at apart from a few plaques and a piece of machinery.

Internet is expensive to use in the reception area. 50 cents a minute but ok if you just want to check emails. You can hire a mobile wifi unit for $10 per 24 hours (compatable with iPad as it doesn't use a USB port) however it is a continual 24 hour period unlike some hotels, where you pay for a time period and can dip in and out until the time runs out.

Staff will turn off air conditioning if you leave it on, which is understandable for cost/ecological reasons, but inconvenient if you want the room to be cool for an afternoon nap. I would suggest calling back to your room after it was been cleaned to put it back on if you intend to sleep during the day, as the fan isn't enough on its own.

For the first few days we didn't realise that desserts are available after lunch. The food is buffet style at lunchtime, but there are no desserts on display. The waiter will give you the options after you have finished.

If you have an insect problem, tell the staff and they will spray the room. They don't appear to offer this information to everyone, as some guests we spoke to weren't aware of this service. There is no charge for this and it saves you buying a spray.

Shirley Heights has a BBQ every Sunday, with a steel band from 4-7 and a live band from 7-10. This is a great night. $8 entrance fee per person, but taxi is expensive $80. The Virgin rep advised us to find another couple to share with, as it's half the price $40 per couple. Oddly, we shared with 2 other couples and were still charged $40 per couple, so although it was cheaper than going on your own, the $80 isn't split 3 ways if 3 couples share. ODD. Average cost of a burger, or chicken etc from BBQ is $11 per person, not cheap.

Room Tip: We were in room 38 at first but as there are a lot of trees around the decking area, the noise from...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cocobay Resort? Share your experiences!