“Perfect weddng day and holiday” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cocobay Resort

Save Saved
You added Cocobay Resort to your Saves list
Cocobay Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Valley Church, Bolans, Saint Mary's 431, Antigua   |
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Bolans
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Perfect weddng day and holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We have been to Cocobay twice before we returned to get married. The year we got engaged we returned on holiday there and watched a wedding, we decided without thought that we wanted to get married there. Three years passed and we finally arrived back in our paradise.

From the moment we got to the hotel the staff welcomed us and our 18 guests and made us feel at home. The staff continued to do this for the duration of our two week stay. There have been some changes made to the hotel since we were last there, which has made the hotel even better than it was. The beautiful scenery, amazing food, friendly staff really puts this place on the map. Cocobay is unlike any place I have been before. I try to explain to others what it is like but it is so hard, if you want a big air conditioned building, that has rows upon rows of rooms, with a buffet everyday this place isn't for you. Cocobay takes pride in offering a severed 4 course menu 6 days a week. The open areas give you a true experience of the Caribbean. The huts make it secluded for you and your partner, truly romantic. We had a hut with a pool- amazing. I would recommend this as not only a holiday but for a wedding.

The wedding day went without a hitch, everything fell into place and was absolutely stunning. It was everything I envisioned and more. I was so calm (surprisingly) and that is down to the amazing wedding co-ordinator and staff who made our day so special. Nothing is too much trouble. I had Jason Pickering for my photographer who was great with the guests and took some beautiful photos. We went to Sheer Rocks for our evening meal, which was truly incredible.

If you are going to get married/ thinking of getting married or going on holiday to Cocobay, have no worries. It is the perfect paradise to make the best memories you will cherish forever.

Room Tip: Seafront cottage - hut with a pool

1,308 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went for our Honeymoon for 10 days and had a blast. The resort is very private and unlike the typical all-inclusive. It is not the college party, drink til you're blind atmosphere, which for a honeymoon, in my opinion, would not be pleasant.

They paid for our taxi to the resort and basically made us feel like we were the only people that mattered at the resort. We stayed in the Chattau House which was a premium suite right on the water.

DRINKS: Strong - can make anything you ask for. The local beer is slightly bitter and it's all they serve. Always available. Only problem is water, which you might have to buy from the front desk if you like a lot of water. We went to the local grocery store and stocked up on jugs of water.
FOOD: UNREAL - fresh fish and loads of other food for lunch in the dinning room and paninis at the pool. Dinner - best food I've ever eaten(lobster, filet, fish)ICE CREAM - WHOA!AMAZING!!!
STAFF : Very friendly and willing to help with anything. Really friendly people. We tried to tip but didn't see too much tipping going on
THINGS TO DO: Sting Ray City-Well worth it. We also did the Wadadli Catamaran cruise around the island which was pretty fun but more of a booze cruise

2 pools, fairly nice beach(beach that is beyond the Cocobay beach in walking distance is much nicer)

Upscale all inclusive

GREAT TIME!!!

• Stayed August 2013
Milton Keynes, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We went on honeymoon in April 2013, so I'm sorry for the delay! Superb staff from the receptionists to the restaurant servers. All the staff try to remember you and your personality traits. Kathleen was our favourite waitress but many of the staff deserve a lot of credit for their dedication in making customers feel relaxed in the idyllic surroundings.
The hotel's beach is quiet and kayaking is available.
The 2 pools have adjoining bars serving cocktails including daily specials.

Room Tip: Non Seaside view rooms are lovely too :)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

This was a good place for couples, but not as good as we expected from the reviews. Yes, the welcome rum punch and cold towels were a great start. Plus, most of the servers try to remember you and say hello, which is very welcoming, but then it is also hard to get a coffee/refill at breakfast, some of the front desk personnel weren't knowledgeable and others weren't helpful, the Internet was worthless, and we had to get wait listed for days to even rent a cellular dongle. Why not just buy more so guests can have access to Internet?

The worst part is the sand flies. At breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner - be prepared - there is no safe time. I used Deet the first few days, them Off and I still got about 80 bites, and most of the woman were complaining about bites as well. Many were covered in bites, just like me. It turns out this part of the island is the worst for sand flies. I'm home a week now and still have bite marks. It was almost Unbearable, even with benedryl spray for itch. Finally found a good remedy - scrubbing the bites with white wine, stops the itch at night so you can sleep. There were no bug torches or any visible attempts to minimize them.

The food was good, breakfast is great - has everything you could want and the eggs that are cooked to order are always perfect. Lunch is ok - salads, lunch meat, soup, and one hot choice. The grocery store at Jolly Harbor, just 3 mins away, have great baguette sandwiches if you want something good but simple. Dinner choices were amazing. Plus, quantity of food we felt was big. - I know I had read others say it was small, but it certainly wasn't when we were there. We had no room for the desserts but they looked good. The drinks at the bar were fabulous - appletinis - Eden, piña colada, Carribean daze, etc. The two main pools were beautiful, never too crowded, the water was clean but the cushions could stand a cleaning, perfect views, and cool water temperature - awesome. They run out of towels by noon, and you cannot get more than one, nor can you get a new own until 10 am each day. A bit annoying.

We got water each day in our room, not just the first day. They made ordering a car or excursion easy. The rooms were nice overall, bedspread had some stains, pillows hard so we both had those neck cramps, and my husband felt the bed was too hard, but I'd rather have that than too soft. For a 3.5 star all-inclusive is was good, but I was hoping to be able to say it was great.

Room Tip: We were in cottage 23, the second to last. Nice and private, great location. It is a bit of a walk t...
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

So I apologize for writing this review so delayed.. We went to Cocobay for our honeymoon November 13-21 2012 and I can't ever stop thinking about how wonderful it was. We are ALWAYS recommending this resort to everyone we know!!

We actually purchased through LuxuryLink and saved a bit of money but had an ocean view room with air con and received a bottle of champagne in our room upon arrival. When we left the airport I had heard of many people suggesting to ride with other couples and luckily we met another couple going to the resort and were able to split the fare but also make great friends for our stay! So we started right off with a bang! Then we arrived and were greeted with a cool towel and some yummy rum punch in which we were informed of how the operation works. The one thing to note, is that you sign up for dinner each morning and to some it may be a pain but it's really no big deal and when you're in paradise why must we complain so much hey?! I didn't mind an early or late dinner because I could just go to the bar and have a beverage or swing by the lower pool in the afternoon for one of their grilled sandwiches and yummy plaintain like chips!! Or have afternoon tea at the upper bar.

When we were taken to our room I couldn't help but notice all the beautiful landscaping and tropical plants. I also loved the lights that led the the path had a C carved into them. I loved that. It was so refreshing to get up in the morning or walk home late at night on the beautiful paths to our OWN cottage. No hotel noise here or banging and slamming doors. Plus you walk in to the most beautiful hard wood floors that I wish I could take home!! I suppose I'm glad we had AC because it does get a bit toasty and I'm a little wary of leaving the doors open at night but I believe we left them open on night but my husband said he kept getting tangled in the net! But he's a messy sleeper. ;) I just LOVED waking up and being able to the look at the ocean from our bed and kept thinking how lucky we were and that I couldn't believe it was real! The bed was comfy and I'm glad there was no TV or clock or anything, just peace and relaxation. Although we did bring a mini speaker for our iPhone to play music which was nice. I LOVED having my own porch to relax on too. There were many naps taken on the hammock. And like I mentioned we received a bottle of champagne when we walked in so we drank that on the porch looking at our killer view. I also LOVED the open door shower. It felt so fun and risque to open the door while showering to feel the ocean breeze and just relax knowing I was in paradise. It was quite the treat and I wish I had one at home!

But what stands out most, are the incredible pools with the most unreal views. The water is the most clear blue you will see! One of the couples vacationing has been to Jamaica, St. Lucia, Bahamas, Dominican, etc. and she said the water is by far the most beautiful she has ever seen and I believe her. It was shallow and clear and on awesome days you can see forever under water. Which also leaves to the lack of sea life you'll encounter because it is so shallow. I wish I had brought a raft to float on because the water is SO calm. Just don't go for a night walk on the beach, there are sand flies, but it's the Caribbean and there are bugs so DON'T act like your surprised in a humid climate to find mosquitoes or bugs, etc. It is the Caribbean after all... We actually preferred not to stay at the resort beach and wandered to the two other close ones where there would be hardly a soul in sight. We felt like millionaires! Granted there were no beach chairs, but we'd lounge on a towel and swim most of the time and then head back in the afternoon for drinks by the pool.

We LOVED the drinks too!! The Blue Antiguan, yummo!!! The beverages and service were generally wonderful! We loved Sasha, she was great! And like I said the pools are fantastic. You could always find a seat too, which was nice considering the resort isn't that big which makes it very intimate to be there especially on a Honeymoon!!! We loved that it was quiet and peaceful after such a hectic experience going through a wedding. We were glad not to have pool games, and organized activity and masses of people. Just like an individual cottage really makes you feel like you've escaped from the ordinary "all-inclusive" box. Granted I've never been to the larger resorts, I don't think I could EVER do it after this vacation. We like privacy and relaxation but we also met some WONDERFUL guests that we made friends with so that was such a treat.

I also think the food was GREAT! I was nervous about that but everything was fresh. The veggies were usually my favorite because you could tell they were local and prepared perfectly. I loved the selection of fresh fish at lunch and the ability to have options at dinner. I don't think I ever didn't like anything and if the preset menu really didn't please we did opt to have the lobster which is WORTH the extra money. It's really not that much to splurge for and I highly recommend the coconut shrimp because they're to DIE for. We had them on our last night when we splurged for dinner on the beach. It was so romantic and wonderful and a great way to end our Honeymoon. Breakfast is a buffet too and you can ask to have your eggs cooked any style. Beware of the juices if you leave them unattended because the local birds will drink it up!!! The LOVE sugar!! So cute though! We did pack a few snacks in our luggage too just in case we needed something extra to snack on but most of the time we never touched them. Like I said, there's afternoon tea at the upper bar and grilled sandwiches after 1pm I believe at the lower bar pool. I heard they may open a pizza grill down there too?! Although after about a week we did crave American food like a burger and low and behold, the day we were craving it, we smelled it coming from the grill at lunch and they had burgers and fries!! Woo! It's the little things. But seriously, the food is wonderful and I felt actually healthy being there because everything was so fresh. Even when I had ice cream, I knew it was freshly prepared so it couldn't be that bad.. ;) (And seriously, get the ice cream, it's amazing!!)

We also splurged for a massage and had it on our own porch which was delightful and a great massage at a fare price. Plus they can come to you, so why not?! Great way to unwind. We didn't splurge for the personal pool and at any resort in the Caribbean you hear mixed reviews since these pools don't get a lot of sunlight they can be cold. Instead we saved some extra and rented an 8 hour private sailboat on Miramar Sailing for a day together and I highly recommend that!! It was an incredible experience and I've left my review of that already.

We didn't do any other excursions even though we were there for 8 nights because we met so many wonderful people and honestly being in the sun and drinking made us tired so we enjoyed relaxing and napping quite a bit! It was too comfy being there!

Everyone was so friendly, the resort is quite beautiful, but nothing could compare to the beauty of the island. It's going to be hard to top the beauty of Antigua.. I've been looking but I keep coming back to this island in my searches! The sand was soft, the water calm and warm... Ahhh.. Take me back now. I can't wait to go again!!!

Room Tip: I'd say an Ocean View room is a great choice. We had a WONDERFUL view!!! And AC which I hear a l...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We just returned from our fantastic honeymoon at Cocobay. We were there for a week in August. From the moment we arrived to the time we left, the staff was absolutely fantastic, incredible, attentive, super friendly, and so wonderful. We stayed in one of the newer rooms called Wattle and Daub that had a plunge pool and a clawfoot bathtub on the deck. The room was very nice with incredible views of the water and a small beach area right in front. The staff kept the mini-fridge stock on a daily basis and the housekeepers did an excellent job each day. The resort itself is very well designed with two infinity pools and two bars. We loved the lower infinity pool and spent many afternoons lounging around there. The beaches are also like postcards. We spent most of our beach time at Valley Church Beach which is a short walk through the water from the resort. We had the beach practically to ourselves each day we went there as most of the guests spend the day at the beach connected to the resort. The food is good as far as all inclusives go. Note that the portions at dinner are small, but you can always ask for seconds. With regards to bugs, we used Deep Woods Off and had no issues at all. Cocobay is the quintessential romantic honeymoon location - - very highly recommended.

Glassboro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

My husband and I clelbrated our 30th wedding anniversary at Coco Bay this July we had a fantastic time despite my suitcase being delayed for three days thanks to US Air. The staff was very friendly and attentive. The accomodations were absolutely wonderful. We stayed in Fungee cottage. Views are spectacular. Love the plunge pool and infinity pools. We can't wait to return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cocobay Resort? Share your experiences!