“GORGEOUS paradise & relaxing honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cocobay Resort

Save Saved
You added Cocobay Resort to your Saves list
Cocobay Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Valley Church, Bolans, Saint Mary's 431, Antigua   |
Special Price
25% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Bolans
Raleigh, North Carolina
“GORGEOUS paradise & relaxing honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

So I apologize for writing this review so delayed.. We went to Cocobay for our honeymoon November 13-21 2012 and I can't ever stop thinking about how wonderful it was. We are ALWAYS recommending this resort to everyone we know!!

We actually purchased through LuxuryLink and saved a bit of money but had an ocean view room with air con and received a bottle of champagne in our room upon arrival. When we left the airport I had heard of many people suggesting to ride with other couples and luckily we met another couple going to the resort and were able to split the fare but also make great friends for our stay! So we started right off with a bang! Then we arrived and were greeted with a cool towel and some yummy rum punch in which we were informed of how the operation works. The one thing to note, is that you sign up for dinner each morning and to some it may be a pain but it's really no big deal and when you're in paradise why must we complain so much hey?! I didn't mind an early or late dinner because I could just go to the bar and have a beverage or swing by the lower pool in the afternoon for one of their grilled sandwiches and yummy plaintain like chips!! Or have afternoon tea at the upper bar.

When we were taken to our room I couldn't help but notice all the beautiful landscaping and tropical plants. I also loved the lights that led the the path had a C carved into them. I loved that. It was so refreshing to get up in the morning or walk home late at night on the beautiful paths to our OWN cottage. No hotel noise here or banging and slamming doors. Plus you walk in to the most beautiful hard wood floors that I wish I could take home!! I suppose I'm glad we had AC because it does get a bit toasty and I'm a little wary of leaving the doors open at night but I believe we left them open on night but my husband said he kept getting tangled in the net! But he's a messy sleeper. ;) I just LOVED waking up and being able to the look at the ocean from our bed and kept thinking how lucky we were and that I couldn't believe it was real! The bed was comfy and I'm glad there was no TV or clock or anything, just peace and relaxation. Although we did bring a mini speaker for our iPhone to play music which was nice. I LOVED having my own porch to relax on too. There were many naps taken on the hammock. And like I mentioned we received a bottle of champagne when we walked in so we drank that on the porch looking at our killer view. I also LOVED the open door shower. It felt so fun and risque to open the door while showering to feel the ocean breeze and just relax knowing I was in paradise. It was quite the treat and I wish I had one at home!

But what stands out most, are the incredible pools with the most unreal views. The water is the most clear blue you will see! One of the couples vacationing has been to Jamaica, St. Lucia, Bahamas, Dominican, etc. and she said the water is by far the most beautiful she has ever seen and I believe her. It was shallow and clear and on awesome days you can see forever under water. Which also leaves to the lack of sea life you'll encounter because it is so shallow. I wish I had brought a raft to float on because the water is SO calm. Just don't go for a night walk on the beach, there are sand flies, but it's the Caribbean and there are bugs so DON'T act like your surprised in a humid climate to find mosquitoes or bugs, etc. It is the Caribbean after all... We actually preferred not to stay at the resort beach and wandered to the two other close ones where there would be hardly a soul in sight. We felt like millionaires! Granted there were no beach chairs, but we'd lounge on a towel and swim most of the time and then head back in the afternoon for drinks by the pool.

We LOVED the drinks too!! The Blue Antiguan, yummo!!! The beverages and service were generally wonderful! We loved Sasha, she was great! And like I said the pools are fantastic. You could always find a seat too, which was nice considering the resort isn't that big which makes it very intimate to be there especially on a Honeymoon!!! We loved that it was quiet and peaceful after such a hectic experience going through a wedding. We were glad not to have pool games, and organized activity and masses of people. Just like an individual cottage really makes you feel like you've escaped from the ordinary "all-inclusive" box. Granted I've never been to the larger resorts, I don't think I could EVER do it after this vacation. We like privacy and relaxation but we also met some WONDERFUL guests that we made friends with so that was such a treat.

I also think the food was GREAT! I was nervous about that but everything was fresh. The veggies were usually my favorite because you could tell they were local and prepared perfectly. I loved the selection of fresh fish at lunch and the ability to have options at dinner. I don't think I ever didn't like anything and if the preset menu really didn't please we did opt to have the lobster which is WORTH the extra money. It's really not that much to splurge for and I highly recommend the coconut shrimp because they're to DIE for. We had them on our last night when we splurged for dinner on the beach. It was so romantic and wonderful and a great way to end our Honeymoon. Breakfast is a buffet too and you can ask to have your eggs cooked any style. Beware of the juices if you leave them unattended because the local birds will drink it up!!! The LOVE sugar!! So cute though! We did pack a few snacks in our luggage too just in case we needed something extra to snack on but most of the time we never touched them. Like I said, there's afternoon tea at the upper bar and grilled sandwiches after 1pm I believe at the lower bar pool. I heard they may open a pizza grill down there too?! Although after about a week we did crave American food like a burger and low and behold, the day we were craving it, we smelled it coming from the grill at lunch and they had burgers and fries!! Woo! It's the little things. But seriously, the food is wonderful and I felt actually healthy being there because everything was so fresh. Even when I had ice cream, I knew it was freshly prepared so it couldn't be that bad.. ;) (And seriously, get the ice cream, it's amazing!!)

We also splurged for a massage and had it on our own porch which was delightful and a great massage at a fare price. Plus they can come to you, so why not?! Great way to unwind. We didn't splurge for the personal pool and at any resort in the Caribbean you hear mixed reviews since these pools don't get a lot of sunlight they can be cold. Instead we saved some extra and rented an 8 hour private sailboat on Miramar Sailing for a day together and I highly recommend that!! It was an incredible experience and I've left my review of that already.

We didn't do any other excursions even though we were there for 8 nights because we met so many wonderful people and honestly being in the sun and drinking made us tired so we enjoyed relaxing and napping quite a bit! It was too comfy being there!

Everyone was so friendly, the resort is quite beautiful, but nothing could compare to the beauty of the island. It's going to be hard to top the beauty of Antigua.. I've been looking but I keep coming back to this island in my searches! The sand was soft, the water calm and warm... Ahhh.. Take me back now. I can't wait to go again!!!

Room Tip: I'd say an Ocean View room is a great choice. We had a WONDERFUL view!!! And AC which I hear a l...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

1,401 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We just returned from our fantastic honeymoon at Cocobay. We were there for a week in August. From the moment we arrived to the time we left, the staff was absolutely fantastic, incredible, attentive, super friendly, and so wonderful. We stayed in one of the newer rooms called Wattle and Daub that had a plunge pool and a clawfoot bathtub on the deck. The room was very nice with incredible views of the water and a small beach area right in front. The staff kept the mini-fridge stock on a daily basis and the housekeepers did an excellent job each day. The resort itself is very well designed with two infinity pools and two bars. We loved the lower infinity pool and spent many afternoons lounging around there. The beaches are also like postcards. We spent most of our beach time at Valley Church Beach which is a short walk through the water from the resort. We had the beach practically to ourselves each day we went there as most of the guests spend the day at the beach connected to the resort. The food is good as far as all inclusives go. Note that the portions at dinner are small, but you can always ask for seconds. With regards to bugs, we used Deep Woods Off and had no issues at all. Cocobay is the quintessential romantic honeymoon location - - very highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Glassboro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

My husband and I clelbrated our 30th wedding anniversary at Coco Bay this July we had a fantastic time despite my suitcase being delayed for three days thanks to US Air. The staff was very friendly and attentive. The accomodations were absolutely wonderful. We stayed in Fungee cottage. Views are spectacular. Love the plunge pool and infinity pools. We can't wait to return.

Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Our second visit to Cocobay and never before have we repeated a holiday.So glad we did.It is wonderful in every way. Stunning location, great food,amazing staff. If you want marbled luxury then go elsewhere because the beauty of Cocobay will be wasted on you. This is the Caribbean at it's best. If you are loved up then great to go as a couple, if you like to have company then go with friends. It's not a party place but that doesn't mean that you can't have fun.We had a sea view cottage on the top row and it was fabulous but if you are nervous of things that go scratching and scurrying in the night then the simplicity and charm of this immaculately kept accomodation will not suit you. This isn't just a holiday it is an experience not only of the island(which you must get out and see,try a company called Happy Tours 4x4 jeep tour or the island for the day lunch and drinks included plus your own guide, ask Phyllis at reception to arrange) but of the lovely Antiguan people.If you can find someone to share taxi fare with you take a trip to Falmouth Harbour, experience how the other half live and enjoy a fabulous lunch at 'Cloggies' Bar and Reastaurant Antigua Yacht Club...just brilliant to enjoy the fod and watch the sailing world go by amongst Richard Branson look alikes! Don't hesitate, book it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Riverdale, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We just got back from our honeymoon in Antigua and had a wonderful time at Cocobay. The food is delicious for an all inclusive. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The women at the front desk were extremely helpful in answering any questions and booking excrusions or taxis for you. They only had entertainment one night in our week stay and I wish there were more. It was so much fun. The only negative of the trip was the bugs! To be fair, there are bugs all over Antigua, not just at this resort. But I walked away with 20 or so bugbites( and I used bug spray) and saw a few bugs that I hope not to see again. The resort also gave us a few nice surprises through the week to make our stay special and romantic. All and all it was a wonderful trip. I also wish they had more wines that the 2 available ( they did have a few more but they weren't included in the all inclusive price).

Room Tip: definiately a room with a plunge pool and if you can, seafront. in seaview you can see part of the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
SF Bay Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Cocobay Resort is low-key, beautifullly landscaped, and right on the Caribbean. They offer accommodations in a range of price-points and I can't speak to the cottages that were further up the hill: we stayed in a waterfront bungalow with fabulous view, AirCon and a plunge pool. It was lovely! The bed was comfortable with very soft bedding. The bathroom fixtures were luxurious: double sink, black quartz vanity, "rain shower" shower head with door opening from the shower onto the deck so you can look out at the Caribbean from the shower. There is also a refrigerator restocked with cold drinks daily, and an "instant" espresso maker. Like a Keurig but for espresso. The housekeepers kept the room immaculately clean. There was a safe in the closet. The best thing is ... No TV. However, you can rent a wireless device for US$10/day. Visiting Cocobay feels like staying at a beautiful private estate in a guest cottage. If you are drawn to large, rowdy chain resorts such as Club Med or Sandals, this may not appeal to you. It is quiet and peaceful except for the Thursday evening manager's reception which features a combo, some jewelry vendors and a buffet dinner that it livelier than the other nights.

The all-inclusive menus varied for the 10 days we were there. The Breakfast buffet always included eggs cooked to order, bagels, pastries and a variety of sausage or bacon. Lunch included a buffet including a variety of fresh salads (lots of greens and tomatoes) and often a pasta and a fish dish. The dinner menu varied and always offered 4 courses: appetizer, delicious soup, an entree and dessert. We live in California and eat out often and found portion size to be just right - not large but definitely not small. Since we booked directly with the hotel and not through a reservation service the steaks and lobsters were included in our room rate: some other folks paid a surcharge for steak or lobster. We found the staff gracious: I suppose that very sophisticated folks are willing to work in hospitality industry there in order to live on beautiful Antigua rather than moving to the mainland for more job choice. Housekeepers, waiters, gardeners, front desk staff were all polished and professional.

While my husband did get lots of bug bites and got itchy I think it was because he doesn't like to wear insect repellent. I wore a natural herbal repellent on my arms and shoulders and a deet spray on my feet and ankles when I was outside at dawn or dusk and got only a few bites.

The Fryes Beach looks like one in a travel magazine: powdery white sand, beautiful turquoise water and small gentle waves. The Little Ffyes Beach which is closer to the hotel has palapas and chaises and is closer to the lower pool bar. The pools! So beautiful. We rarely used them because we had our own plunge pool. The water temp felt cold for the first moment because the air was so hot. After a minute or two the plunge pool water felt refreshing not cold. Not sure whether other reviewers gave it a chance. My husband thought it was too cold the first day then gave it a chance and then spent lots of time floating in our little pool, sipping rum drinks and looking out at the Caribbean through palm fronds.
Best beach vacation in 25 years. Oh yes, we are middle aged and there were lots of youngish honeymooners there as well as an assortment of middle aged folks. Americans, Italians, Brits all added to the relaxed good spirits of the resort. Lots of lovely conversation at the bar and then retreat to our porch with sunbed and Adirondack chairs when we wanted to read quietly.

It is a ways from town so not the best location for "party animals" that want to go bar hopping at night.

Room Tip: We found the extra charge for waterfront room with plunge pool to be worth it. Our room, Pepper Pot...
Southport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

If a modern 5 star hotel with all the mod cons is your thing then this is not the place for you.

If a quait piece of paradise with a fantastic location and great staff is your idea of heaven this is definatley the place for you.

We have just returned from a two week holiday where we also got married. Having not been to the island or the hotel before we were a little apprenhensive about our expectations.

The rooms are amazing, little individual huts with amazing views. The location of the hotel is surreal with the clearist sea water we have ever seen. The biggest positive about the hotel has been its staff, I have never been anywhere where I felt like family, every single member of staff made an effort to get to know us and always had a friendly smile on their faces.

The food was fantastic with plenty of choice - a buffet breakfast and lunch and a fabulous 4 course evening meal you would pay a lot of money for at home!

Just want to say thank you to everyone who made our trip memorable - we will never forget our time here.

Room Tip: We had room 22 - great view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cocobay Resort? Share your experiences!