“Charming resort in paradise!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cocobay Resort

Save Saved
You added Cocobay Resort to your Saves list
Cocobay Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Valley Church, Bolans, Saint Mary's 431, Antigua   |
Special Price
25% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Bolans
SF Bay Area
“Charming resort in paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Cocobay Resort is low-key, beautifullly landscaped, and right on the Caribbean. They offer accommodations in a range of price-points and I can't speak to the cottages that were further up the hill: we stayed in a waterfront bungalow with fabulous view, AirCon and a plunge pool. It was lovely! The bed was comfortable with very soft bedding. The bathroom fixtures were luxurious: double sink, black quartz vanity, "rain shower" shower head with door opening from the shower onto the deck so you can look out at the Caribbean from the shower. There is also a refrigerator restocked with cold drinks daily, and an "instant" espresso maker. Like a Keurig but for espresso. The housekeepers kept the room immaculately clean. There was a safe in the closet. The best thing is ... No TV. However, you can rent a wireless device for US$10/day. Visiting Cocobay feels like staying at a beautiful private estate in a guest cottage. If you are drawn to large, rowdy chain resorts such as Club Med or Sandals, this may not appeal to you. It is quiet and peaceful except for the Thursday evening manager's reception which features a combo, some jewelry vendors and a buffet dinner that it livelier than the other nights.

The all-inclusive menus varied for the 10 days we were there. The Breakfast buffet always included eggs cooked to order, bagels, pastries and a variety of sausage or bacon. Lunch included a buffet including a variety of fresh salads (lots of greens and tomatoes) and often a pasta and a fish dish. The dinner menu varied and always offered 4 courses: appetizer, delicious soup, an entree and dessert. We live in California and eat out often and found portion size to be just right - not large but definitely not small. Since we booked directly with the hotel and not through a reservation service the steaks and lobsters were included in our room rate: some other folks paid a surcharge for steak or lobster. We found the staff gracious: I suppose that very sophisticated folks are willing to work in hospitality industry there in order to live on beautiful Antigua rather than moving to the mainland for more job choice. Housekeepers, waiters, gardeners, front desk staff were all polished and professional.

While my husband did get lots of bug bites and got itchy I think it was because he doesn't like to wear insect repellent. I wore a natural herbal repellent on my arms and shoulders and a deet spray on my feet and ankles when I was outside at dawn or dusk and got only a few bites.

The Fryes Beach looks like one in a travel magazine: powdery white sand, beautiful turquoise water and small gentle waves. The Little Ffyes Beach which is closer to the hotel has palapas and chaises and is closer to the lower pool bar. The pools! So beautiful. We rarely used them because we had our own plunge pool. The water temp felt cold for the first moment because the air was so hot. After a minute or two the plunge pool water felt refreshing not cold. Not sure whether other reviewers gave it a chance. My husband thought it was too cold the first day then gave it a chance and then spent lots of time floating in our little pool, sipping rum drinks and looking out at the Caribbean through palm fronds.
Best beach vacation in 25 years. Oh yes, we are middle aged and there were lots of youngish honeymooners there as well as an assortment of middle aged folks. Americans, Italians, Brits all added to the relaxed good spirits of the resort. Lots of lovely conversation at the bar and then retreat to our porch with sunbed and Adirondack chairs when we wanted to read quietly.

It is a ways from town so not the best location for "party animals" that want to go bar hopping at night.

Room Tip: We found the extra charge for waterfront room with plunge pool to be worth it. Our room, Pepper Pot...

1,424 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
Southport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

If a modern 5 star hotel with all the mod cons is your thing then this is not the place for you.

If a quait piece of paradise with a fantastic location and great staff is your idea of heaven this is definatley the place for you.

We have just returned from a two week holiday where we also got married. Having not been to the island or the hotel before we were a little apprenhensive about our expectations.

The rooms are amazing, little individual huts with amazing views. The location of the hotel is surreal with the clearist sea water we have ever seen. The biggest positive about the hotel has been its staff, I have never been anywhere where I felt like family, every single member of staff made an effort to get to know us and always had a friendly smile on their faces.

The food was fantastic with plenty of choice - a buffet breakfast and lunch and a fabulous 4 course evening meal you would pay a lot of money for at home!

Just want to say thank you to everyone who made our trip memorable - we will never forget our time here.

Room Tip: We had room 22 - great view
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at cocobay for 2 weeks for our wedding. From start to finish it was amazing!

When we arrived we were greated with a cold flannel and a rum punch and shown to our room by the friendly Melissa! All staff were lovely!

The room had plenty of space, I've seen a few bad reviews but you're bringing a suit case, not moving in! They were clean and the shower was great, you could even open the doors and shower with a view!
The food was also good, breakfast was buffet style, pancakes, eggs however you want them, continental style and fresh fruit. Lunch was buffet style again, one day we even had shark for lunch, the sandwiches by the lower bar were also really good! Then for tea you would get a starter, intermediate, main and dessert. The menus were different every night and offered a pasta dish, vegiatarian, meat and fish dish. If I ate half on each plate I would have still been full up at the end! Some people would complain about portion sizes but I thought it was more than enough! Also try the lobster!
Our wedding couldn't have gone any better! Tameka was amazing and sorted everything out for us, we got a taxi into St. John's to sign the paper work and that was all easy, flowers were perfect, the minister did a lovely ceremony for us, we also got Jason Pickering the photographer who did a great job and the videographer and I had my hair and make up done. If you want a nice relaxed wedding I would defiantly recommend cocobay!
The weather whilst we were here was lovely, one night there was a storm which shook the room but didn't bother us and one day was slightly over cast but it was still nice enough to be out in the pool. You could hear tree frogs at night and we got a few mosquito bites, but its what you expect going to an island!
Whilst we stayed at cocobay we went on the jet skis and tubing what people offered on the beach, we took the circumnavigation round the island, a jeep safari island tour, sting ray city, helicopter ride to monseratt and scuba diving. I would highly reccomend them all! Also the hotel offered snorkelling and kayaking for free which was great fun!
Whilst looking at a lot of other hotels on the island, cocobay looked the nicest and most secluded with the best views. We had the best time and would love to come back for an anniversary! Also, the hotel seemed more of a couples hotel, there was a few families with older children, none were any trouble but I personally thought it's not a hotel I'd bring kids to!
If you go into St. John's for the day make sure you don't go in when cruises come in and be prepared for people to mither you to buy stuff, that was slightly annoying but you could barter with them to get a better price on stuff you wanted.

• Stayed July 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We have just returned from a fantastic week at Cocobay and have many happy memories of the time we spent there. We had high expectations from the vast number of positive reviews and we were not disappointed. We arrived to cool towels and rum punch and then were shown to the most amazing cottage at the top of the hill. It was huge with an incredible uninterrupted view of the Caribbean, just spectacular. Cocobay has a brilliant laid back vibe and we were happy to spend our time around the infinity pools or on the beach. We felt the majority of staff were fantastic and a real credit to the resort, however there were a few grumpy characters who let the side down. The food was impressive especially the dinners which were of a very high standard. My only gripe, and I think it was probably just unfortunate for us, was that we found hair in our food on two occasions at lunch time. This was unpleasant and put us off the buffet to be honest. This wasn't too much of a problem as we were able to have the yummy paninis from the pool bar instead. We were also disappointed by the a/c in our room as it broke down on two occasions and was far too noisy to have on when sleeping. Without the ceiling fan we would have melted. I also highly recommend ear plugs as the sounds of the insects are extremely noisy if you are a light sleeper like me. These small issues did not detract from the fact we had an amazing time away and wouldn't hesitate to recommend Cocobay for the ultimate location for total relaxation.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband and I recently returned from our honeymoon at Coco Bay, and it was everything we could have possibly hoped for. The resort is breathtakingly beautiful, and the layout absolutely maximizes the natural beauty of the setting. Everywhere you turn, you can see that crystal-blue water that, at least for us, was the main reason for choosing a Caribbean honeymoon. The staff is so helpful, and the rooms are perfect. We stayed in a little cottage with a large porch, hammock, and private plunge pool. From our porch, we had a perfect view of the ocean, so we didn't even find a reason to leave our room for the first few days we were there! Once we did manage to pry ourselves from the comfy hammock or private pool, we had wonderful days lying on the beach or by one of the two beautiful infinity pools. The food is also fresh and delicious. We had a wonderful time, and would recommend Coco Bay to anyone!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Matawan, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife and I just returned from Cocobay Resort.
Our stay at the Cocobay Resort exceeded our expectations.
After reading some of the reviews I really did not know what to expect.
When we arrived we were greeted at the reception desk with cool towels and
a refreshing fruit punch (with Rum). The manager of the resort, Oneal, welcomed us
and informed us that our room was not ready but he was able to upgrade our room for
the evening to a sea view pool suite. The room was wonderful- but unfortunately only a tease
for the one day- actually two- since we did not have to leave the room until 2PM the following day. This suite had a very private porch with a plunge (infinity) pool, a lounge bed on the porch, a hammock, and a claw feet bathtub (on the porch). The room was spacious with a very unique
bathroom- with a shower that opened to the outside.
The room that we were transferred to for the next 5 days was also a wonderful room, it was higher up the hill but from our porch we had a clear unobstructed view of the Caribbean. The room had a King size bed and a similar bathroom to the one that we had in the pool suite. We were celebrating our 39th anniversary on this trip- so Oneal arranged to have our room illuminated with candles and rose petals on the floor when we returned from dinner- what a special touch.
I would get up early in the morning, around 7am, and walk around the resort and the beach. Each morning I was greeted by name by Joy at the front desk- I had lots of questions all the time and she was always helpful and very pleasant. I know I ask many questions and she never got annoyed. Saska, who was the bartender, always made sure that my wife and I got whatever we wanted- and with a big smile.
We both found the food very enjoyable, I do not think we had one bad meal. Breakfast and lunch were buffets, but very good. Breakfast each morning had a wonderful selection of fruits, cereals, pastries, pancakes and custom made omelets by Sonya. Lunch every afternoon had a different soup and a different entree which was freshly grilled.
The staff was just wonderful- our server for breakfast and lunch, Cheryl, always made
sure we had everything we wanted or needed. In the evening the staff were always very
accommodating- especially Mr. Gore who was always very pleasant and made sure I had
a seat under a fan. The evening meals were different every night and had some very interesting combinations of flavors. The portions were sufficient but if you wanted more it
was no problem- I enjoy pasta- so the staff always gave me a side order to have along with the entree that I ordered.
My wife and I never had to rush to get a lounge seat around the pools- there always were enough lounge chairs available, something that is not always the case at a resort.
My wife and I can not wait to return to Cocobay Resort. As I told Manuella (I believe the reservations manager) who was very helpful and just a delight to have a conversation with, it is the friendliness of the resort and the staff that truly makes a vacation special. The staff at Cocobay Resort makes a vacation special. We will return!

Room Tip: Pool suites are wonderful- if you can afford the extra amount, but the other rooms are just fine.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Great trip from the warm welcome to the "Come back again" good-bye. Beautiful resort, friendly, accommodating staff, and fabulous views! My daughter selected Cocobay for her wedding. We were delighted with it. We had the wedding on the beach with a BBQ reception. VERY happy with the flowers, service, and food. The flower pathway was really nice. So glad we went this route! We had a beautiful wedding and memorable vacation all in one. For those considering a wedding there were a few negatives: The officiant--we asked for vows only, as a family member was making the personal remarks, but she flat out said she wasn't letting someone else have the glory and proceeded to let us look into the sun for thirty minutes as she rambled on. Not happy, wanted the ceremony as planned and more time with the photographer. Also, note that beach wedding pics will include beach vendors and uninvited boaters. In fact a boat pulled up right behind the ceremony to cheer us on. Appreciated the goodwill, but would have rather they were not in the video. The rooms were wonderfully romantic, but the AC isn't US standards when you are getting ready for a wedding, so the staff brought us a fan. Realistically I don't think any wedding goes absolutely perfectly, but this came very close. Thank you Cocobay!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Cocobay Resort? Share your experiences!