We stayed at Cocobay for 2 weeks for our wedding/honeymoon. It was our first time at an all-inclusive so my expectations for good food were pretty low (eating delicious food is one of my favorite things about vacationing so I was skeptical of going all-inclusive). We actually picked this hotel based on the Tripadvisor reviews and we were not disappointed. We absolutely loved this resort and I want to point out the good and the bad.
First the negatives: 1. The bugs. Every review mentions it, it's true, there are tons of bugs. I forgot to apply bug spray the first night and my legs were destroyed. However, after that I remembered and only suffered a few more bites the rest of the trip. Wear it at all times!! I must add that we rented a car and went all over the island. We were bit up at Jolly Beach just the same.
2. The housekeeping. We were told if the shell is up, it meant "do not disturb." That was not true. We were on our honeymoon and there were some days we wanted to nap/lounge in our room alone and without fail, every time the housekeeper banged on the door. One time we were asleep and she did not stop. There were different reasons, but mainly it was something small, like bringing us towels - in the future we would rather have our peace than the hand towels. She also threw away one of my non-disposable razors, which was not trash.
3. The refrigerator in our room was never re-stocked. Over the course of 2 weeks, we met many other guests, most of them said they received new water bottles on occasion. We never did. One time I asked every worker I could find at the resort to refill them and they did that day, but it was a lot of trouble. They are available for purchase at the front desk, but at an all-inclusive, I feel bottled water should be included.
4. The paths are confusing. We got lost the first few nights and we saw several other couples lost. Signage or something pointing you in the right direction would be helpful, it's dark at night and all the paths look the same.
On to the positives! 1. The food was amazing. We thought they would repeat dishes over our 2-week stay, but they rarely did. Breakfast became a little monotonous, but usually we were so well fed we skipped breakfast anyway. Lunch was always amazing. They cooked a different fish every day (except on hamburger day). They also had a panini available at the lower pool, which was always amazing (yes, sometimes I ate both, it was vacation :). Dinner was also excellent. The pastas were delicious and they had a variety of things that one may not normally try, but it was always good. In fact, we wanted to eat out a few times and we would usually be sad about the meal we missed when we decided to go elsewhere.
2. THE STAFF! We can't say enough about how warm and pleasant the staff members were. They seemed to go out of their way to make us feel welcome. Everyone seemed to know when our wedding was and made sure to ask about it. They really added to the trip. Some of my favorites during the day: Kerry and Sasha - they are awesome. The bartenders at night - Oriel, Cyeon, Tony and Craig - always made sure we had fun (and we did!). Melissa from the front desk was also extremely pleasant and welcoming.
3. The room. The view was beautiful and we enjoyed the hammock and chairs on the porch.
It may seem that there are more complaints than positives, but they are very minor complaints and they did not take away from our overall enjoyment. We commented every day about how perfect the resort was and we could not believe the hospitality. We overwhelmingly recommend this place and we hope to return in the future!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A colorful collection of quaint wooden cottages set on a breezy hillside bordered by three white sand beaches, Cocobay offers quiet relaxation and privacy in a rustic, romantic setting. The 49 cottages and 4 plantation houses each boast large verandahs with easy chairs, hammocks and striking sea views. Rooms include hand made wooden furniture, ceiling fans, mini fridge, shower, hair dryer, coffee maker and in-room safe. Seafront rooms include air- conditioning and private plunge pools. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Cocobay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cocobay Hotel Bolans
- Coco Bay Antigua
- Cocobay Antigua
- Cocobay Hotel Antigua
- Cocobay Resort Antigua/Bolans