“Our holiday” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cocobay Resort

Save Saved
You added Cocobay Resort to your Saves list
Cocobay Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Valley Church, Bolans, Saint Mary's 431, Antigua   |
Special Price
10% Honeymooner Discount
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Bolans
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Our holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

This was mine and my boyfriend of 5 1/2 yrs first holiday just the two of us. And we defiantly picked the perfect resort!! The resort was fantastic as were the cocktails!! : ) The staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough for us, but were not pushy or in your face. We did nothing for 10 days which was perfect! We were told it was 80% full but you would have never have known it! Food was excellent and plenty of it!! We can see why people keep on returning, and we will defiantly be returning! Sooner rather than later.

Room Tip: A planation house has the best views by far!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

If you are looking for peace and quiet, great food, nice beaches and friendly staff this is the place. My partner and I stayed here for a 5 day stop over on our way to Anguilla. It was so relaxing I wish we had never left. The location is amazing and unlike some other resorts, it is small, intimate and you are left to do your own thing. We had a water front hut and it was absolutely lovely. Very clean and comfortable. I will certainly be back

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Medford Lakes, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

My husband and I just got back from Cocobay, celebrating my 30th birthday and Mothers Day! All I have to say is, the pictures don't lie! The views are amazing, and the staff is even better! Everyone from Duane in security,Manuela,Tameka,Joanne, Melissa at the front desk, Sasha at the Pool Bar and O'Neil the Resort Manager are truly the best staff any hotel could ever ask for (to many names to even list, but you all know who you are!) It is truly the best service we've ever had at any resort.

I am a travel agent for American Express Platinum Travel, so I have set my standards high and I have to say, they met all of them. Cocobay knows how to make their guests happy.

My husband had surgery on his foot a week before we went on the trip, and weren't sure if we were going to make it or not. He was a great sport and we decided we must still go! We were extremely happy we made that decision, because they really took excellent care of us, and went above and beyond our expectations.

The resort is very pretty, the gardens are beautiful and so well kept. Depending on the room you have, you may have to do some walking. Make sure you are willing to do so, because the rooms are nestled on the side of small mountains. However, every turn you take will lead you to another gorgeous view of their spectacular gardens and landscapes!

The rooms are very well kept, clean and cheery. We ended up upgrading our room to a room with a plunge pool and boy am I glad we did. It was so well worth it. The views, the air conditioning, and the location were all worth it!!!

The food is amazing as well. They have one great dining location for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The menu for dinner had a lot to choose from and it was buffet style for breakfast and lunch. They also have a daily sandwich by the beach pool bar, but they go fast, so be sure to get there at 12:30 when they are first served.

The only thing that I would say is for people that have done an all inclusive before in Mexico or something similar, it is a little different here. Don't get me wrong, it is amazing at cocobay, but it is not a 24 hr food and drink all inclusive. The Bar is open from 11am to 11pm. The only snack through out the day is afternoon tea with small sandwiches. There were parts of the day that I would have loved a little snack but there wasn't anything unless you purchased something at the gift store. Also, the mini bars are not stocked. They do have an option to purchase items to put in your mini bar, but they are pricey and honestly they should be included. You might want to stop at a store on the way in, and pick up a couple of snacks and drinks for your room. However the food and drinks that they do serve are nothing but the best, and you will enjoy every bite! Just don't go into it thinking you will get a cheeseburger delivered to your room with a beer.

I would highly recommend Cocobay to friends,family, and clients! I have been telling everyone to go here! We loved it and cannot wait to go back once my husband is feeling better.

Thank you to all of the staff that made it an amazing trip, because you all have an amazing gift. There is a reason why people come back to this hotel again and again. It's because of all of you! (and the views of course) but mainly you! xoxoxo Diana and Greg

Room Tip: A room with a plunge pool and air, close to the reception desk.
Gravesend, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

My boyfriend and I have just recently been to cocobay, we stayed there for a week but it wasnt long enough! I've never been to such a relaxing holiday resort before. Everything about it was amazing, the food, the people, the views, the rooms! I have already told all of my friends and family that they have to go.
We was supposed to fly home on the wednesday but there was a problem with the engine on the plane so we was taken to a hotel for the night, we got taken to Jolly beach resort which was one of the hotels we looked at before we booked cocobay but I'am so glad we decided not to go there. Cocobay is by far the best holiday resort I have ever been to and we are already thinking about going back.
One other thing; I'm a fussy eater and I was worried that I wouldnt like the food but I loved it, and finished every meal and went up for more!

Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

We stayed at the Coco Bay resort May 1-6. Here are the PROS.

1. Accommodations: Outstanding. The beach bungalows are private with breathtaking views if you choose a seafront cottage, which we did. The room has an attached deck with two adirondack chairs, hammock, and a private plunge pool. It was so lovely to return to our bungalow in the late afternoons to chill out before dinner. Also, there was a coffee pot in the room so it was a treat in the mornings to sit on the front porch with a cup of java and absorb the beauty of the palm trees and ocean. Heaven on earth!
2. Infinity pools: The pools are breathtaking. Perfect temperature. We never had any problems finding an available pool bed. They have curtains tied to the side of the pool beds, giving you the option of untying them to form a shield against the sun. They flap in the breeze but I used my foot as an anchor to keep myself protected from the rays, as I burn easily. Also, since this is a kid free resort no “p” in the ool, rest assured. Each infinity pool has a bar with very little waiting time. I enjoyed their cold beers on tap. Plus, they offer grilled sandwiches should you decide not to hit the lunch buffet at “Rafters.” Sandwiches were delicious!
3. Beach: My husband and I have traveled extensively. Jamaica, Dominican Republic, St. John, etc…and I’ve never seen a more beautiful beach. No competition for securing a beach hut. The water is turquoise blue and perfectly calm. Employees come around with non alcoholic drinks (punch, water, lemonade) to quench thirst. Other resort beaches can suffer from overcrowding. Not the case at Coco Bay. In fact, one day I looked around and realized that we were the only couple on the beach.
4. Food: The lunch buffet is phenomenal. I enjoyed their rice with mussels, West Indies potato salad, carrot-ginger soup, lasagna, etc…The lunch choices are varied and tasty. Dinner is sit- down service. You choose options from a four- course menu. I thought the food was divine. I loved the smaller portions. That way you could enjoy all four courses without being stuffed (appetizer, soup, main meal, dessert).
5. Service: The service was always respectable to friendly. The real positive being check-in. It’s a small resort so check in was quick and effortless, unlike commercial resorts where many people are checking in at the same time, causing confusion and delays.
6. Smart set-up: There are three levels brilliantly orchestrated. The highest level is the restaurant “The Rafters”, a bar, infinity pool #1, and a spacious open lounge/couch sitting area behind the bar with breathtaking views of the ocean. The middle level is the main lobby and the second infinity pool with poolside bar. The lowest level of the resort includes a path down to the beach. I have a terrible sense of direction so if I could figure out where I was going, ANYONE can.
7. Flowers/foliage: Whoever was in charge of planting their flowers, shrubs, etc…is a gardening genius. Everything was lush and in full bloom. The birds and cicadas were singing with joy!
Possible CONS (but not really)
1. Inconvenient electrical outlet(s) in the bathroom. No big deal but it you’re tall, no problem man. I’m 5’6 and getting my curling iron plugged in was not easy. I had to hitch myself onto the bathroom vanity and I still couldn’t reach it unless I stood. Once I got it plugged in, I just kept it plugged in (but turned off). No way was I going to go through those challenging gymnastics every day of our stay.
2. Brown water: One or two days of our stay our shower water was brown. Did I care? No. I wasn’t drinking the water so what difference does a rusty pipe make while in paradise? I only mention it because I understand that for some people, this would constitute a complaint to the front desk.
3. Nature issues: This is the tropics so understandably, there were some very small gnats (practically miniscule) crawling around on the vanity counter. However, this is a rustic setting with your bungalow being surrounded by foliage and trees and insects. They come with the territory. It wasn’t a tarantula so no reason to get hysterical. Also, a small lizard got into our room and was crawling around our walls. He was cute and this didn’t bother us either. Again, I only mention these events because some people would react differently. If you want a room in a hotel type resort more removed from nature, so be it. But you will miss such spectacular beauty by being overly particular.
4. Breakfast: Breakfast is perfectly adequate. But there is room for improvement. The daily pancakes are great, but why not mix it up with some French toast or waffles as options? Also, for the health-conscious folks, cooked oatmeal, yogurt, and granola would be greatly appreciated.
5. Dinner: I agree with the recent review by the European traveler about the speed of dinner service. I’m actually American and would have enjoyed more time to linger over my courses too before the next one arrived. I suppose they are on a time limit, since dinner reservations are every half hour. Not sure if this could be changed, but it would be nice to get a little breathing room between courses (translation: I want to actually get a “wine buzz” before too many solids enter my body. You dig?) My only criticism is that the dinner rolls are not good. They are dry and tasteless. And since it’s the first thing you eat, management should look into warm “just out of the oven” rolls that melt in your mouth.
6. No fitness facility: They have a wellness cottage for massages but no fitness cottage. I think a fitness cottage with just a couple of treadmills and elliptical machines would be ideal. I like to exercise in the mornings on vacations so I can justify sitting on my derriere all day. This is the ONLY negative about this resort in my opinion.
7. Post-vacation blues: This resort is so perfectly appointed and well manicured that you become spoiled by the views and majestic beauty. Be prepared for depression on departure day. I cannot wait to go back!!!

Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

We have just returned from a 10 night stay in the beautiful Cocobay resort. To say our hopes and expectations of the hotel were exceeded would be an understatement!

The location is absolute perfect, creating a secluded and intimate feel perfect for a romantic holiday. Indeed it was such a beautiful place that I decided to propose to my girlfriend - making it an even more unforgetable location for us! The seaviews are idyllic and we never got tired of looking out across the bay. From Cocobay you can see across to Jolly Harbour so there are always small boats and watersports in the area.

We had a lovely seaview cottage perched on top of the hill (not too much of a slope and easily walkable even in the rain). From the outside it was a nice, well-maintained purple cottage, situated underneath a mango tree - good first impression. The room itself had very simple furnishings in keeping with the Caribbean cottage style and had enough storage and hanging space for what we required. The bathroom was nice and again very simply fitted out, we enjoyed the open air shower with our sea views very much. The balcony had a hammock which was the perfect way to relax in the evening after a long day in the sun.

The hotel facilities were excellent. The two infinity pools really are as good as they look in the pictures, the beach is good and there were always spare sunbeds around. I would however recommend going on a boat trip (particularly the Eco-Tour or the Barbuda visit) as there are some absolutely fantastic beaches on and around the island - our particular favourites were the pink sand beach in Barbuda and the beach on Great Bird Island which had spectacular views.

We loved the food, the consistency and the quality amazed us each and every night. Breakfast was fresh and tasty, with a range of bread, fruits, continental options, pancakes, eggs, bacon etc. This was enough choice for us! Lunch again was a buffet but it again tasted great with nice, freshly made rices, pastas, salads etc accompanied by grilled meats, fish etc. Dinner was a-la-carte every night (except for the Caribbean buffet on Thursdays cocktails evenings). The choices on the menus were excellent each night, each and every dish we ordered was extremely tasty and the portion sizes were perfect (not too big, not too small). Some dishes come with a supplement - the fillet mignion, the lobster etc. and these were well worth trying.

The service was wonderful and we were made to feel welcome by everyone. The staff on reception knew us by name and would make conversation every time we passed through. The cleaners, security etc were all very friendly. The waiters were attentive and the barstaff always made an effort to have a chat and find out how your day was. You could tell the pride that the staff take in providing this top quality service.

If I had to give some feedback to make the experience even better:

1/ The parasols by the pools were fixed open and very heavy and therefore you had to move your bed about depending on whether you wanted shade or sun - this was not always possible if you were on the higher seating area. I would like to be able to put up and take down the parasol myself.
2 / Although WIFI is free, sometimes we could not connect and had to use the computer in reception and you have to pay for this - I think this should be complementary and free of charge in this type of resort
3/ The service in the restaurant was fantastic and we thought Mr Gore and the rest of the team were great. However, coming from the UK we are used to having much more time between courses in a restaurant. One night we were served 3 courses in 35 minutes. Due to the fact it is a small hotel designed for couples I think dinner should take more time so that you can enjoy the evening and the atmosphere - there isnt a lot else to do in the evenings so dinner should be much longer. As soon as plates were cleared your next course was served most nights - i would like longer to rest between the courses.

Overall, we adored our holiday and hated having to leave.The points above are only minor and did not negatively impact our experience. We will be coming back in 2-3 years time and cannot wait. If you want a romantic holiday, for a wedding, an engagement, a honeymoon or just to relax and enjoy a taste of paradise then this is the place for you!

Room Tip: The SeaFront cottages looked excellent, however we were extremely happy with our SeaView room - the...
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012 via mobile

Coco bay is exactly as it is described - when I read the poor reviews by some people I was apprehensive, but visiting I can't understand why the people who disnt like it chose it - did they even read up about the hotel?
Accommodation - simple beach huts elegantly done, we liked it. We had air conditioning in ours - which takes the edge off. But chatting to another couple I don't think it comes with the standard. The beach huts are not perfectly sealed - you will never eliminate bugs or have a very cool room. Yes, we saw a cockroach in the bathroom but it didn't bother us, this is Antigua and if they are prevelant outside they will get in to a beach hut. Having said that neither of us got bitten once by Mosquitos when sleeping under the net and using repellant. The good thing with the bathroom is you can fully open the doors to the outside, and it is as if you were showering outside. Its awesome!
Food - good selection at breakfast and lunch which are both buffet. Dinner is a 4 course a la carte - there is a choice of starter, main and desert with reasonable variety. However, being only a small hotel there is only 1 restaurant, and I can see this can get a bit samey, however there are two restaurants within walking distance if you fancy a change. The food is good, with my only criticism of the restaurant being service. The service is too efficient, you will eat 4 courses within an hour, as soon as you put you knife and fork down the plate is cleared with the next course on its way. Being European we found this a bit much, I would have complained in the uk. However, the. Market is predominately american, and the service very much feels catered for Americans, which we understood.
The setting was fantastic, the bottom pool had a perfect view of the beach, and there was always spare sun loungers on the beach. Drinks were served to you on the beach, which was a nice touch.
Overall we loved this holiday, and think its great value for money. The alternatives can be costly, and the few annoyances far out way the benefits of great location, great setting with an overall sense of quiet and relaxation.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Cocobay Resort? Share your experiences!